ADVERTISEMENT

Horror Movies

I saw an ad from Hulu just now on Facebook that said Hellraiser was available "tonight", sure enough it's out. Might have been right at the stroke of midnight.. not sure.

Halloween Ends looks like it has a lot of potential.
Appears there are spoilers online now so just staying away from looking up any reviews of it.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt
From what I gather, the point of the Hellraiser remake was to make Pinhead a chick. I'll pass.

Anyone seen Devil in Ohio? I've watched the first couple of episodes and it has potential. Worth finishing?

Reactions: VaxxedObamaCat
From what I gather, the point of the Hellraiser remake was to make Pinhead a chick. I'll pass.

Anyone seen Devil in Ohio? I've watched the first couple of episodes and it has potential. Worth finishing?

Eh.. I'm conservative. But Horror movies have ALWAYS been about pushing social issues.. from Night of the Living Dead, to Chucky, to Black Christmas..

I don't mind if Pinhead is a girl, because Clive Barker's original work with Hellraiser was never really aboutt he gender of pinhead, and they even explored having Pinhead (or The Priest, really) be female. It's only the movies, half of them being shit, that make people think of Pinhead being male.. so I get why people are questioning it.

Eh.. I'm conservative. But Horror movies have ALWAYS been about pushing social issues.. from Night of the Living Dead, to Chucky, to Black Christmas..

I don't mind if Pinhead is a girl, because Clive Barker's original work with Hellraiser was never really aboutt he gender of pinhead, and they even explored having Pinhead (or The Priest, really) be female. It's only the movies, half of them being shit, that make people think of Pinhead being male.. so I get why people are questioning it.
Before the syfy Chucky Show, did they ever push social issues before that?

Before the syfy Chucky Show, did they ever push social issues before that?

Yes, but not nearly as much as they are now. It's worth noting that Don Mancini himself is gay.

Seed and Bride had a good deal of homosexuality and gender identity. I don't look for it, but I don't mind it either. However, yes, the TV show is a little TOO heavy handed with it.

Yes, but not nearly as much as they are now. It's worth noting that Don Mancini himself is gay.

Seed and Bride had a good deal of homosexuality and gender identity. I don't look for it, but I don't mind it either. However, yes, the TV show is a little TOO heavy handed with it.
Yeah, I knew that. He has major daddy issues which is why he wrote the dad out of the picture in the original and then made the SyFy show have a stereotype portrayl of a bad dad.

Watched Possession (1981) and The Outwaters this week.

Possession - What a trip. Starts off as an eratic horror film from Europe. Very dramatic in acting as Sam Neill is trying to figure out why his wife is leaving him. 3rd act goes bonkers with some dark ass themes and body horror. Basically a horror-centric look at toxic relationships and what they do to people. I can see why this was banned for a while.

The Outwaters - pretty letdown by this. Very annoying found footage film. This genre is already frustrating at times with camera angles, and this movie takes it to another level. The whole middle of the movie is basically just a very focused flash light. You can't tell what is going on. And the supposed balls-to-the-wall 3rd act was overhyped. It swung for the fences and was a total descent into craziness.. but it was too hard to follow what was happening, and too many scenes only showed you a glimpse of what was happening, leaving the viewer really wanting more. Never a fan of that.

Has anyone seen Talk to Me? A24 usually doesn’t miss, and it has 95% on RT.

No spoilers please…

Has anyone seen Talk to Me? A24 usually doesn’t miss, and it has 95% on RT.

No spoilers please…

I have not yet. Heard great things, but it kind of looks a little.. lame? I'll have to see it.

Good time of the year to pick this thread back up.. Fall is almost here!

Reactions: Mossip
Looking forward to:

Last Voyage of the Demeter - so-so ratings, but it's from a few isolated chapters of the original Dracula, and it's a story that people have said needs a film adaptation.

Fall of the House of Usher - Mike Flanagan doesn't miss.

Thanksgiving - The fake trailer from Eli Roth is turning into a movie.

Reactions: Mossip
Starting to dive into Lucio Fulci films from Italy.. kicked it off with The Beyond (1981), which was excellent. Very gory and surreal. Looking to watch Zombi 2 next, and some of his other hits. Interesting to see how some other international filmmakers tackle horror. I'll watch some Fulci and Argento.. and then maybe tackle some of the French Extremity movies (like High Tension).

Reactions: J_Dee
Come True was a pretty good psychological horror film that's available on Hulu or Prime (I forget which). Kind of an interesting twist at the end.

Been holding off on watching the latest Halloween movie. Is it as bad as a lot of reviews have made it out to be? No spoilers please.

Been holding off on watching the latest Halloween movie. Is it as bad as a lot of reviews have made it out to be? No spoilers please.

They took a very odd left turn in the story. Maybe it's something that will grow on people, as it was this different way of looking at "evil" and how it can sort of manifest in others.

But I don't know.. it was TOO hard of a left turn for me. In a trilogy where you want to see some sort of conclusion, they basically introduced a new main character out of the blue and tie him into Michael Myers, and then spend the majority of the run time on this characters story arc. in a way that we haven't seen in ANY of these slasher franchises. It all felt forced and rushed.

I think people wanted to see Michael and Lorie face off.. and we didn't really get that.

Reactions: SosaUK1987
They took a very odd left turn in the story. Maybe it's something that will grow on people, as it was this different way of looking at "evil" and how it can sort of manifest in others.

But I don't know.. it was TOO hard of a left turn for me. In a trilogy where you want to see some sort of conclusion, they basically introduced a new main character out of the blue and tie him into Michael Myers, and then spend the majority of the run time on this characters story arc. in a way that we haven't seen in ANY of these slasher franchises. It all felt forced and rushed.

I think people wanted to see Michael and Lorie face off.. and we didn't really get that.
Yeah, the first one was good. The last 2 blew. Got worse and worse.

Yeah, the first one was good. The last 2 blew. Got worse and worse.

Yeah I know a lot of people didn't like the 2nd one. But it at least kept the same story going, along with having a seriously large kill count to go with it. The 3rd one though, was essentially like "here's Corey, he's gonna find a connection with Michael that no one else ever had in 50 years of this franchise"

Reactions: SosaUK1987
Yeah I know a lot of people didn't like the 2nd one. But it at least kept the same story going, along with having a seriously large kill count to go with it. The 3rd one though, was essentially like "here's Corey, he's gonna find a connection with Michael that no one else ever had in 50 years of this franchise"
Yeah, when me and my girlfriend were watching the 3rd one, about half way through, we thought someone slipped us some acid or something. Lol

Oh **** yeah, new Toxic Avenger coming out with a pretty great cast lineup.

See. thats what I love about horror movies.. is that there's all these well defined sub-genres of horror, that I don't think any other movie genre has. You have the art house horror movies, psychological horror, slashers, lovecraftian, body horror, Pg13 horror.. even down to the schlocky exploitation B-movie genre horror, like Troma Movies!

tox-av-art.jpg

Reactions: Mossip and J_Dee
Making my way through the first 4 Friday the 13th movies. The first one is an excellent B movie.

The first one is kind of boring haha. I do still like it for what it did, but it's interesting that in a lot of people's rankings, sometimes the 1st one isn't even considered a top3 FttT.

Reactions: christophero
I'm realizing there's so many horror movies that I've either only seen bits and pieces of, or just watched the kill counts for.

Like Sleep Away Camp.. never watched it all the way through. But oh man. So bad it's good cheesiness, filmed in what might have been a single weekend. But all worth it for this gem of a line:

Eat shit and live, Bill.

I'm realizing there's so many horror movies that I've either only seen bits and pieces of, or just watched the kill counts for.

Like Sleep Away Camp.. never watched it all the way through. But oh man. So bad it's good cheesiness, filmed in what might have been a single weekend. But all worth it for this gem of a line:

Eat shit and live, Bill.
Legit, one of the craziest endings to a movie I've ever seen.

I went to cross country camp where they filmed Sleepaway Camp. Upstate NY. It's a good movie. I agree the first Friday the 13th wasn't that good; I liked it but it might be more nostalgia. I thought the piano parts of the score ripped off the Coma score. Now Coma is a great thriller, directed by Michael Crichton.

I went to cross country camp where they filmed Sleepaway Camp. Upstate NY. It's a good movie. I agree the first Friday the 13th wasn't that good; I liked it but it might be more nostalgia. I thought the piano parts of the score ripped off the Coma score. Now Coma is a great thriller, directed by Michael Crichton.

Oh wow Argyle, NY. Had no idea. It's only an hour or so from me.

I just thought they nailed the aesthetic and vibe from going to a summer camp. A big thing that I guess the film staff went for, was making sure the teenage kids actually felt like teenage kids. They weren't PG.. they were R-rated.. cursing a storm, trying to bone everything. If you ever went to a summer camp like this, you'll feel very much at home.

Come on people, we gotta ramp this thread back up for October.

Finished "Deep Red" (Argento) last night. These Italian horror movies are good, but they are sometimes too slow for my liking. There's a scene where the killer offs someone, and the dying victim uses the steam in the bathroom to write a message on a mirror.. flash forward to a main character figuring this out at the crime scene, and it's seemingly an entire 2-3 minutes of steam in a bathroom and the characters brain putting 2 and 2 together, basically hand holding the viewer...

solid movies, just sometimes too slow. Zombi 2 and The Beyond are great ones to start with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT