ADVERTISEMENT

Honestly, a worse hire than BCG…

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
Now, it may or may not end up with worse results, but objectively, Billy Clyde Gillispie had done more and was a more promising up and comer than Mark Pope.

Mediocre Mitch has taken lazy half-assedness to a new level. Calipari must be laughing his ass off.

If everyone didn’t already know you are nothing but a Calipari nut hugger, this post right here proves it for all to see. GTFO of here with this. Cal destroyed this program.

I hate Cal but the OP is right. Cal won a title and 4 final fours. Pope hasn't won 1 ncaa tourney game. What a pathetic hire.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
Now, it may or may not end up with worse results, but objectively, Billy Clyde Gillispie had done more and was a more promising up and comer than Mark Pope.

Mediocre Mitch has taken lazy half-assedness to a new level. Calipari must be laughing his ass off.
I usually never agree with you but you’re right about this. I hope mark does great because he’s one of our own but I would have never believed we wouldn’t have went after more proven coaches.

Reactions: JoshAllenFan
If everyone didn’t already know you are nothing but a Calipari nut hugger, this post right here proves it for all to see. GTFO of here with this. Cal destroyed this program.
Lmao imagine thinking this was Cal's fault

It's just as risky as BCG was.

Pope isn't an alcoholic, so that should help, but I'm afraid that he is equally unprepared.

Reactions: Catfan2226
People forget when UK hired Pitino he was only 7 seasons into coaching. 5 at Boston U and 2 at Providence. He was 133-74 for a 64% winning percentage.

Pope has 9 years experience 4 at Utah Valley and 5 at BYU. He is 187-108 for 64% winning percentage.

Mark pope is a very similar hire as Pitino was in 89. Actually more proven as he is winning at the same clip and has more overall experience. Not a slam dunk hire but to say it’s terrible is dumb. Look what Pitino did here, Pope can do the same or similar.

People forget when UK hired Pitino he was only 7 seasons into coaching. 5 at Boston U and 2 at Providence. He was 133-74 for a 64% winning percentage.

Pope has 9 years experience 4 at Utah Valley and 5 at BYU. He is 187-108 for 64% winning percentage.

Mark pope is a very similar hire as Pitino was in 89. Actually more proven as he is winning at the same clip and has more overall experience. Not a slam dunk hire but to say it’s terrible is dumb. Look what Pitino did here, Pope can do the same or similar.
Pitino had been to a final four. This dudes never won a tournament game.

Well in Pope's defense he understands BBN. BCG didn't plus he drank like a fish and tried to womanize all of Lexington

The comparisons to BCG and others is just stupid. Pope is a brilliant, decent person who should be given every chance to succeed. If he puts a hard working team dedicated to playing and winning for UK would you still complain after what we've been through?

Reactions: cal=8 and Wonky
I typed a long winded statement but erased it. I'll just say I as a fan am not really happy with the hire. At this point I guess I'll just have to do what I've always done. Watch and see..

Didn't Pitino coach the Knicks too? Also, Big East basketball in the 80s was far better and Rick had made a Final Four.

I'm not saying Pope will fail, but these hires are not the same.

Gee whiz, did John Pelphrey or Travis Ford at least get a look? 😂😂😂

We got Pitino from the New York Knicks and he already had a Final Four.

It is not really comparable as far as the quality of the experience.
That isn't crapping on Mark but it is the truth.

Maybe he grows into the best coach we ever had and surpasses Rupp but he is nowhere near as accomplished nor did he have the variety of experience that Pitino had obtained when he got the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT