ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Question

deep3

Sophomore
May 15, 2002
Everyone I’m asking a question.
As we all look back at many tight games over the last few years and now looking at this year’s record in close games, can one say that Cal is a good bench coach?
Last night can someone honestly explain why a HOF coach who has been coaching for over 25 years would actually throw it to his seven footer at half court and not at least have him at opposite free throw lane? IF you actually draw that play up how about an timeout immediately to set yourself up to get a decent look IF he could actually draw up an out of bounds play.

Reactions: *CatinIL*
We didn’t have anymore Timeouts and everyone knows cal is not a good bench coach at all. Perhaps in his early days he may have been but he went a different path quite some time ago. Actually one of the worst bench coaches in D1 basketball.

We didn’t have anymore Timeouts and everyone knows cal is not a good bench coach at all. Perhaps in his early days he may have been but he went a different path quite some time ago. Actually one of the worst bench coaches in D1 basketball.
Agree 100%

I can't think of any reason you would throw it to the 7 foot center. It takes 3.1 seconds to take the throw in, from within 20 feet of the person throwing it in, and going the full court for a lay in. Some of you may remember UCLA's player, Tyrus Edney, who played at UCLA, from 1991 to 1995. He drove the full court for a lay in with 3.1 seconds left, to win the game. We had 4.3 seconds left. That is enough time to get a good shot off. Very poor coaching. Cal is supposed to be a HOF coach. Evidently it is not hard to qualify. Don't tell me what all he has done. He should have done more, with the players he had. Again, Poor coaching.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Reactions: deep3
As we all look back at many tight games over the last few years and now looking at this year’s record in close games, can one say that Cal is a good bench coach?
NO

Last night can someone honestly explain why a HOF coach who has been coaching for over 25 years would actually throw it to his seven footer at half court and not at least have him at opposite free throw lane? Well, His Highness didn't actually throw the in bounds pass but I know what you're saying...so NO.

IF you actually draw that play up how about a timeout immediately after getting the ball to half court to set yourself up to get a decent look.... That's IF he could actually draw up an out of bounds play. That would require the Coach to understand BASIC 101 Coaching. UK apparently has a coach that hasn't learned that yet.

Reactions: deep3
Last night can someone honestly explain why a HOF coach who has been coaching for over 25 years would actually throw it to his seven footer at half court and not at least have him at opposite free throw lane? IF you actually draw that play up how about an timeout immediately to set yourself up to get a decent look IF he could actually draw up an out of bounds play.
Cal didn’t throw the pass. You can draw up a play but that doesn’t mean the players can follow it.

Cal didn’t throw the pass. You can draw up a play but that doesn’t mean the players can follow it.
Cal said in the postgame interview that the play was designed to go to Sarr and he was supposed to pass it to Boston or Askew, whichever was open. So yes, it was designed to go to Sarr per Cal’s own mouth.

Honest answer. Cal is a terrible bench coach and will always be a terrible bench coach. He's not going to change now at 62 years old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT