ADVERTISEMENT

Honest Bobby Petrino lands a new job?

Once coach of the NFL Atlanta Falcons and now coaching a college I did not know existed. Talk about putting a career in reverse.

It's the school formerly known as Southwest Mizzuruh State. Here's the volleyball team. I'm guessing Bobby Neckbrace scoped them out before accepting the job....

DmDud3YV4AA6enR.jpg

What kind of athletic program are they running down there when you have (supposedly) vetted all your candidates and these two are the best of the bunch??

Do they have any idea the coaching cesspool they are wading in?

Reactions: Ky grandpa
FYI....Bobby's first game will be at Oklahoma

And in 2022 (if hes there that long) he returns to Fayetteville.

I don't get anyone wanting to hire him. I do get that some schools are willing to compromise on character but it's been proven that Bobby will eventually lead your program to total destruction. No place he's ever left was left in good shape. It's one thing to cheat to win but it's something else to cheat to get your program gutted.

They didn’t even call UL for input.
You know, what went wrong? What were his issues? Were they fixable? Why did the Louisville players speak so critically of Petrino and respond so enthusiastically to Satterfield?

Surely somebody from Missouri State called top administrators at Louisville to ask those questions and more.

"No," one source said.

Apparently Moats and Missouri State decided to throw a "Bobby Petrino, Hail Mary."

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Misery just got more miserable. Truthfully though, it's not as bad as Illinois. I was working in Illinois with son-in-law, and we went to Walmart. They had cheap .22 ammo so we each grabbed a couple of bricks and went to the counter. The checkout girl asked to see our liscence. I thought she was talking about a liscence to own a gun, or something, so I asked her. No. We needed a liscence to buy ammo! I told her we were from Ky not Il. and she said Okay, and sold us the bullets. True story.

Misery just got more miserable. Truthfully though, it's not as bad as Illinois. I was working in Illinois with son-in-law, and we went to Walmart. They had cheap .22 ammo so we each grabbed a couple of bricks and went to the counter. The checkout girl asked to see our liscence. I thought she was talking about a liscence to own a gun, or something, so I asked her. No. We needed a liscence to buy ammo! I told her we were from Ky not Il. and she said Okay, and sold us the bullets. True story.

Another true story about ammo purchase. About 40 years ago, right after I had moved to Indianapolis, I came back to Kentucky to do some target shooting on a friend's farm. We went to a K-Mart on Westport Rd. in Louisville to buy some ammo and I had to show the clerk my Indiana driver's license, which at the time had the name of the commissioner of the Motor Vehicle Bureau in large letters at the top. She wrote down his name instead of mine on her BATF form and I didn't correct her.

I would say he could use this as an opportunity to get his life in order on and off the field, but at his age, you are what you are. Missouri State was apparently looking to sell their soul to win games if it came down to Bobby neckbrace and Briles.

They didn’t even call UL for input.
You know, what went wrong? What were his issues? Were they fixable? Why did the Louisville players speak so critically of Petrino and respond so enthusiastically to Satterfield?

Surely somebody from Missouri State called top administrators at Louisville to ask those questions and more.

"No," one source said.

Apparently Moats and Missouri State decided to throw a "Bobby Petrino, Hail Mary."
The AD at Missouri State worked at Louisville under Jurich

Went to SMS one year, about 55 years ago. If you recall, Steve Alford coached basketball there.

Missouri State President Clif Smart is a graduate of Arkansas Law School, so he was also aware of how good a coach Petrino can be when he’s energized about a job. Smart and Moats were the only two on the search committee.

And you could definitely say Missouri State is desperate. They haven’t made the FCS postseason in 30 years.

I hate petrino but I don't see the big deal. Actually think it's a good hire all things considered. Guy was a great coach yet an intolerable human who hired too many of his family. He really only had one bad season his entire career.

Has history of a bad scandal but now that's years ago.

For an FCS school I think this is a great hire. At worst He won't have the resources/influence to mess up too bad. At best he wins of a bunch of games and moves on

As you get older in alot of ways you do change. I agree that Petrino was the biggest prick in college football. I always admired his offensive mind but just could not stand him. I am not saying I like him now but he does seem to for the first time since ive listened to him seem more humble. I actually hope he does a good job. I do find it so funny to hear Louisville fans talk about him like he is the scourge of the earth. The guy had one bad season, and yes did kind of run them in a wall, but gave them the best football they have seen as a program and maybe the rest of the time as a football team. Now he is the devil when they welcomed him back with open arms..

Reactions: ekywildcat
He parlayed a year at WKY into a triumphant return to UL. Fayetteville now only a couple of hrs away. Plenty of hog fans pine for his return. This was an obvious move.

Once coach of the NFL Atlanta Falcons and now coaching a college I did not know existed. Talk about putting a career in reverse.
Yep. Most careers move forward at one pace or another. But Petrino's career has been moving in reverse since he bolted from the Falcons. He was in the prime of his career in Atlanta, but then he made a series of disastrous decisions.

This is what a reputation for reckless personal judgment does for a person. Really amazing that some posters on this board avidly advocated for UK to hire Petrino and mercilessly blasted Barnhart when it didn't happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT