ADVERTISEMENT

Holding Penalties

BBBLazing

Senior
Dec 30, 2009
We had a couple holding penalties that killed us against UGA last week. Am I the only one that thinks 10 yards is a draconian penalty for holding? It absolutely kills a drive. Maybe they can come up will a scale that if you hold off of the play and it doesn't affect it, it is less. It seems like we constantly get first downs, but someone is holding on the other side of the field that didn't really help the play, yet we lose the first down, plus 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.

Relax. The call of holding, or a no-call, is one of the ways the officials control the game. It's a screw job; just sit back and enjoy it.

(only halfway kidding!)
You aint' kidding!

Holding call along with magical pass interference (or not) .....are 2 calls that refs can end/sustain drives and thusly play a large part in who wins/losses.

Each of UK's starting OLmen had at least one penalty Sat except Dylan Ray. Couple of holds/false starts plus Burton's brain fart.

Back about 20 years ago it was always a spot foul. If you got holding 8 yards in the backfield it was 1st and 28.

Reactions: grevey35
I don't think you lose the down and yardage for holding. If the other team accepts the holding it remains the previous down.
I meant that if you ran for 10 yards and it called back, it cost you the first down that you earned, not that you lost the down.

From Birmingham:

82aec9.jpg

Holding can be called just about every play. Fans are very quick to spot the opposition's holding but never seem to see it when their team is holding. Several things going on here, if a blocker keeps his hands inside the widest part of the defender he can grab pads, jersey and by today's rules that isn't holding. It was years ago, but not today. The biggest thing is do you really want to watch a game where there are multiple flags on every play? And people want to see points scored.

I have no research on this, but I believe officials relaxed the holding rules for offenses and pass interference rule for defenses. Years ago all the hand fighting accepted today was pass interference. Officiating is easy sitting in front of a 70 inch TV, but give it a try when you are trying to not interfere with the game or get run over.

Holding can be called just about every play. Fans are very quick to spot the opposition's holding but never seem to see it when their team is holding. Several things going on here, if a blocker keeps his hands inside the widest part of the defender he can grab pads, jersey and by today's rules that isn't holding. It was years ago, but not today. The biggest thing is do you really want to watch a game where there are multiple flags on every play? And people want to see points scored.

I have no research on this, but I believe officials relaxed the holding rules for offenses and pass interference rule for defenses. Years ago all the hand fighting accepted today was pass interference. Officiating is easy sitting in front of a 70 inch TV, but give it a try when you are trying to not interfere with the game or get run over.
Agreed totally....but when officials have so much leeway in "you can call holding on every play" and similar holds for pass interference. Those 2 calls in particular are easy to kill a drive for your offense (i.e. 2nd and 20 will kill a drive most of the time) and for your defense a pass interference is an automatic first down to extend drives for trivial contact.....or when a DB is grabbing your WR/man handling them well past 5 yards...and never gets called (Alabama...cough).

Refs have a ton of impact to kill/extend a critical drive anytime they want with how subjective these calls have become. And when you say "you can call holding on any play"....we'll then it's easy for a ref to throw a flag whenever he desires.

Although I know it's the rule, I never understood why hands outside automatically equals holding. It's just lazy officiating imo. It pains me to see big gains called back for some hands outside block way away from the play. Happens way too frequently.

Jager had probably his best block of the season (one of the few) where he dumped a guy off balance. His reward was a flag because apparently at some point refs decided that too is an automatic holding even though it definitely isn't.

Our tes are due for another killer holding penalty. Dingle, while improving blocking especially in space, still wants to inexplicably bear hug the defender. Just a matter of time before that gets us

Reactions: K_TIME
Seeing as how we are 5-1, we should be very happy the SEC is doing its best to help us beat Vanderbilt and Florida.

I don't have any problem with 10 yards as the penalty for holding because often times a hold is the difference between a stop and 10 yard or more gains.

What I DO think they should do is adopt the basketball philosophy of "no harm no foul". If a hold had no effect on the play then it shouldn't be called. This is most obvious on returns, where a player holds a defender who is 20 yards away from the ball carrier and has zero chance of getting any where near them. The result, a 30 yard return is called back and negative yardage tacked on.

Although I know it's the rule, I never understood why hands outside automatically equals holding. It's just lazy officiating imo. It pains me to see big gains called back for some hands outside block way away from the play. Happens way too frequently.

Jager had probably his best block of the season (one of the few) where he dumped a guy off balance. His reward was a flag because apparently at some point refs decided that too is an automatic holding even though it definitely isn't.

Our tes are due for another killer holding penalty. Dingle, while improving blocking especially in space, still wants to inexplicably bear hug the defender. Just a matter of time before that gets us
I agree totally....

1. Go to 9:38 mark on the Youtube....Jager pulls and hits the Lber...then the Lber is off balance and Jager hip tosses him to the ground ....ref throws the flag....talks about it for like 10 seconds to head official and then it's announced. As subjective as you want to make it up and kills a drive. (Even though Leary misses a wide open Tayvion for a TD in that drive)
2. Go to the 3:41 mark on Youtube...dude has Deonne Walker by the held and hands right at his facemask....3rd down on opening drive for UGA....no flag.

I'm going to argue UK would have won....UK played like ass. But these calls are all kinds of subjective and the magical calls tend to happen in one direction and a holding/pass interfence will add/take points off the board in a second. Andin SEC and rarely to the detriment of the beloved top tier teams to the magic flags happens.

We had a couple holding penalties that killed us against UGA last week. Am I the only one that thinks 10 yards is a draconian penalty for holding? It absolutely kills a drive. Maybe they can come up will a scale that if you hold off of the play and it doesn't affect it, it is less. It seems like we constantly get first downs, but someone is holding on the other side of the field that didn't really help the play, yet we lose the first down, plus 10 yards from the line of scrimmage.
The yardage isn't from scrimmage its from the spot of the foul.

You aint' kidding!

Holding call along with magical pass interference (or not) .....are 2 calls that refs can end/sustain drives and thusly play a large part in who wins/losses.
Yup. Been happening to us for years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT