ADVERTISEMENT

He probably won't be Kenny Payne bad, but

I was done with Cal.

Keep in mind I started this thread when I first found out Pope was a candidate last night. It was my initial gut reaction to the news.

Since he has officially been named coach, I've not had anything negative to say, and will support him 100% and hope for the best.
Good. You said enough last night

Reactions: ORCAT and cathouse
i could definitely see him being Mike Woodson bad.

Struggling to make the tourney most years.

Middle of the pack conference finishes.

Lackluster recruiting classes.

Basically, a continuation of what his career has been so far.

And UK becomes an afterthought on the national stage.

I respect your opinion but I disagree completely. He knows how to run an offense. If he can leverage UK's historic reputation in recruiting and the transfer portal, I think we will be in good hands. I am excited!

The number one choice on this board was Hurley. Up until 2 years ago, he would never ever have been considered. His record was simply not good.

I respect your opinion but I disagree completely. He knows how to run an offense. If he can leverage UK's historic reputation in recruiting and the transfer portal, I think we will be in good hands. I am excited!

The number one choice on this board was Hurley. Up until 2 years ago, he would never ever have been considered. His record was simply not good.
You’re basing this on nothing…

• Haha
Reactions: chattanoogawildcat

He was 24-10 in the Big 12 at a Mormon school that has strict conduct rules for all players and enforces those rules.

Will we have blockbuster recruiting classes? Most likely not. Here’s the thing people suffering PTSD from living under Cal for so long, a good coach doesn’t need 5 NBA players on the team to win basketball games in college.

Here’s another thing a lot of people don’t consider, Cal isolated himself, he made himself into the University of Cal and the boosters weren’t lining up to help him in NIL. Theres 2 boosters that have already pledged a $4 million dollar war chest for Pope to go transfer portaling with, or to recruit existing Kentucky players and commits to stay in Lexington.

There’s rumors going around the Crafts are going to back up the Brinks truck to Reed if he stays, one rumor I heard was $7 million. Not that money is probably a huge factor to Reed, the opportunity to be a top 10 pick vs leaving a bigger legacy in Lexington is probably the decision.

500 fans joined Club Blue basketball NIL in 20 minutes after the Barnhart interview this morning, I just got home from work, I’m about to join it myself.

Kenny Payne was NEVER a head coach. That is why he failed.

Pope has proven he can win, albeit at Utah Valley and BYU. There is something to be said about that.

I'm going to support him, because he is one of us and he LOVES this place.

If you can win at BYU ... you for sure win at Kentucky (the NCAA wins will come).
The Great John Calipari wasn’t winning and tournament games so I guess we are prepared for that.

Geez Deplion, you're usually more positive.
It's like Walter Cronkite saying "this war is lost".

• Haha
Reactions: ORCAT and Fox2monk
I'm not gonna lie. The Mitch news has put the damper on Pope. Still support him. And all that. But I have questions. Did Mitch make the hire because he was trying to overshadow the news breaking? Did he make the hire because he knew other coaches wouldn't come here after the news broke?

Reactions: Fox2monk
Me too!!

If Pope is confirmed as the guy, I'll definitely be pulling for him 100% and will be giving him a fair shot.

My initial gut reaction tonight, however, is that this was a panic hire that is very unlikely to end well.
I understand both sides. We all need to support him right away and give to NIL to help give him the tools to succeed. If he doesn’t, then he will be replaced fairly soon I’d think.

I'm not gonna lie. The Mitch news has put the damper on Pope. Still support him. And all that. But I have questions. Did Mitch make the hire because he was trying to overshadow the news breaking? Did he make the hire because he knew other coaches wouldn't come here after the news broke?
My personal opinion. He made the other two tries because he knew he had too. He had to try. He probably knew Hurley wasn't going to happen. But the optics would have been terrible if he didn't try with Drew and Hurley.

To go from those two to Pope seems like he maybe already wanted to go that route but had to make a try with championship coaches..

You think we haven’t been an afterthought? Where have you been since 2017?

We just don't know yet. I'm ok with a three year leash. We whiffed on some good coaches, and I doubt Pope will be much worse than a few more years of Cal. At least it'll be more interesting than more Cal. I'm ok with a three year experiment. Next one won't be on Mitch.
This^^^^^
At least we are no longer being held hostage by a non performer with a lifetime contract.

The guys UK wanted weren't coming.

Barnhart wasn't going to hire a reformed cheater, a guy on an FBI wire tap or a wifebeater

Not sure what you do after that, but hiring a guy that loves the program as much as the fans, and giving him the resources to succeed seems to be the answer

Looks like a bunch of fans agree

If we’re giving Pope a three year leash then why in the world wouldn’t we just wait a week and try to hire Donovan? That was literally the main knock on him was that this upcoming season would likely suck due to the logistics of the whole thing. This is one of the most idiotic decisions you’ll ever hear about in sports.
You have no idea what the decision was based on.

Allegations are not proof of guilt. Tap the brakes scoop.

If we’re giving Pope a three year leash then why in the world wouldn’t we just wait a week and try to hire Donovan? That was literally the main knock on him was that this upcoming season would likely suck due to the logistics of the whole thing. This is one of the most idiotic decisions you’ll ever hear about in sports.
Because Donavan wasn’t a realistic option

Would you say that UConn was negligent in hiring Hurley? What had he proven prior to the last two seasons? Absolutely NOTHING! His first four seasons at UConn were horrible. He had only won two tournament games prior at Rhode Island.
Agree with you on this, who knows what will happen

Reactions: cathouse
UK has to know this was coming.

Reactions: RunninRichie
You’re basing this on nothing…

I have watched BYU play. Have you? Pope's offense is impressive. He learned from Pitino, for one. If you gave him our team this past season I honestly think we would have been in much better shape.

As for Hurley, he did NOTHING until last year in the tournament.

Facts and personal observations are more than nothing!

Reactions: cathouse
I wonder what would had been said about Dan Hurley if we had hired him after coaching at Wagner or Rhode Island. I guess winning at those places was more relevant than winning in the Big 12, beating teams like Kansas, Iowa State and Baylor. With recruiting limitations… idk. I still think he will do awesome. Sure seems like he is getting major NIL support!

Somewhere on this site is a list of all the coaches people wanted when Calipari was hired. There were a couple of decent coaches. Most were middling and many have fallen by the wayside. My takeaway is that nobody can see the future and that few of us can identify a good coach from their resumes. But, as we well know, people will spit nails to defend their preferences.

I wonder what would had been said about Dan Hurley if we had hired him after coaching at Wagner or Rhode Island. I guess winning at those places was more relevant than winning in the Big 12, beating teams like Kansas, Iowa State and Baylor. With recruiting limitations… idk. I still think he will do awesome. Sure seems like he is getting major NIL support!

Imagine if we had hired him AFTER 4 years at UConn. He missed the tournament 2 years and lost in the first round 2 years. Yeah, the last 2 years at UConn have been phenomenal but before that not so much.

Somewhere on this site is a list of all the coaches people wanted when Calipari was hired. There were a couple of decent coaches. Most were middling and many have fallen by the wayside. My takeaway is that nobody can see the future and that few of us can identify a good coach from their resumes. But, as we well know, people will spit nails to defend their preferences.

Some of us have changed our minds several times as well. I wasn't thrilled with Pope at all when his name first came up but I went back and watched a few of his games, looked at his resume and did some thinking. He just grew on me in a short time. Every candidate has pros and cons.

---
And in that instance old Uncle Walter was right.
Yes he was.
I highly respect Deplion.
He has been on here for a long time and it makes me sad to see him with his current mindset.
Most on here I take with a grain of salt.
It's just telling when someone like Deplion comes from a near hopeless angle.

Me too. He is an excellent candidate to continue our downward trajectory. He just isn’t a UK caliber coach. In a few years I can hear some folks asking what in the hell was Mitch thinking. Overpayed a coach that wouldn’t get an interview with any other top tier team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT