ADVERTISEMENT

Have you guys watched UT play???

ulismyman

Senior
Jan 11, 2015
I see all this gloom and doom about this game....UT has played 2 good games all year....and one of tbose was last week

They have played few complete games. However, regardless of their ability they seem to always play us well. So I expect them to give us their best game. We have to be ready.

Reactions: KWilt43atbuzz
I see all this gloom and doom about this game....UT has played 2 good games all year....and one of tbose was last week
Are you really calling a 3-6 Tenn Tech team good ? Anyway UT has played more than a couple good teams, VA. Tech, Florida, Bama, A&M heck even APP State is good for a group of 5 team. However like said in a post above UT has had trouble all year playing for all 4 quarters and you never really know which UT team will show up.

Tennessee is still Tennessee. They have great talent and we are going to have to beat them. They won't lay down. We always make Dobbs look like an All-American.

Have you watched UT play UK the last 50 years or so? If we win I will be thrilled and surprised. Hope I am both on Saturday.
This UT team looks very good at times and not very good at other times,this occurs usually in the same game. More to the point of your post have you noticed that teams playing poorly have a way of putting it together when UK shows up on the schedule,case in point UGA last week,probably played the best game they had played in the last 4. No one ever seems to lay an egg when they play us,I keep waiting and hoping that we eventually see the other team stink up the joint when we play but it never happens.We are way overdue.

Reactions: cmarcellUSAF

Yes i have watched all their games.

I have also watched ours as well.

I have watched Georgia in several games.

UT is a roller coaster while they play, they stink then play incredible.
We are basically doing the same thing as UT its just our roller coaster doesnt go as high up as theirs.
We lead games and then stink it and try to blow the lead. We did so vs Georgia and lost the game. Almost did the same vs Miss St and Vandy.

I def wouldnt be looking down my nose at UT and how they play when we have brain farts as well.

I have a friend, Middle Tenn. Grad., but a big UT fan! According to him, UT Fans are very upset with Jones & the direction of the program! Again quoting him, "the fans are upset with Josh Dobbs because they don't think that he spent enough time in the offseason polishing his passing the of the ball". He further states that there is rancor within the team due to the team not playing-up to expectations!!! He said that not only Jalen Hurd was upset because he felt that he wasn't being used properly, "he wanted to be played at TE & that several players held this same view"! According to my friend, this view was being expressed because Hurd & other team members felt that this move would allow Hurd to enhance his draft status!!! He also says that the UT Fans believe that Dobbs is pedestrian at best as a passer even tho there are times when he can be effective!!!!!!! Don't take this as gospel, just sharing my friend's take!!!

No I have not. I realize past performance is not always a reliable indicator of the future, but you do know we haven't won there in 30 years? And we're a 2 TD dog. I don't see us ending that streak this year. If we can beat the spread I'll be happy.

Have not watched them play a complete game. Parts of games I've seen their d. end #9 Barnett is as very good specially rushing the qb., Dobb is a big strong, fast, hard to bring down guy, kind of qb. that give us fits! Just as important their players believe they are better than THE CATS!
UK is a much improved both mental and physical from their third game of season. CATS need to smack Vols in mouth early and stay physical the entire game to win at Neyland.

UMM has a point, I haven't watched them much this season, but I did watch most of the South Carolina game. My god they were terrrrrrrible. That being said, they always seem to play their best and we always seem to play our worst when this game comes up (unless we start a WR at QB). I hope there's been enough of a culture change that we don't lay another egg.

All about Dobbs to me. He had his coming out party around the same time we played them two years ago and looked like the next big thing. Then I saw him in their opener this year and he had regressed a bunch. Not his throwing as much as his indecision. Really bad.

So if he is sharp and decisive we will have our hands full because he has some good targets (We wanted Malone badly) and it will open up his scramble game.

If he is not we have a great chance. Should be able to tell the first series.

All about Dobbs to me. He had his coming out party around the same time we played them two years ago and looked like the next big thing. Then I saw him in their opener this year and he had regressed a bunch. Not his throwing as much as his indecision. Really bad.

So if he is sharp and decisive we will have our hands full because he has some good targets (We wanted Malone badly) and it will open up his scramble game.

If he is not we have a great chance. Should be able to tell the first series.

If I were Kentucky's defensive coordinator I would watch the USC game tape and simply remake their defensive scheme.

They made Dobbs give the ball on zone-reads. They ran almost exclusive zone coverage. As you stated, Dobbs can be indecisive. Last season, Dobbs was incredibly careful with the football. Many Tennessee fans were clamoring for him to take some more chances. This season, he has pushed the ball and given our WR's some chances, but with mixed results.

We burned Florida and Virginia Tech (two of the best defenses in the country), but they ran a lot of man-to-man. South Carolina dropped 7 and 8 guys and made Dobbs make less obvious decisions and be more accurate.

Hopefully, if Tennessee sees a similar scheme from Kentucky this weekend, we will lean on the ground game and take our shots down the field, keeping the ball out of harms way. I believe designed QB runs, John Kelly, and Alvin Kamara can have enough success vs Kentucky to win. We abandoned the run vs USC for some unknown reason and never ran any designed QB runs...

Our offensive line does struggle with odd fronts and zero technique nose guards... We love to pull the center and cannot do so vs odd fronts. Hopefully, for Tennessee's sake, we have figured out some ways to alleviate this issue as well.

UMM has a point, I haven't watched them much this season, but I did watch most of the South Carolina game. My god they were terrrrrrrible. That being said, they always seem to play their best and we always seem to play our worst when this game comes up (unless we start a WR at QB). I hope there's been enough of a culture change that we don't lay another egg.

I was in Columbia for the game and it was undoubtedly the worst performance of the Butch Jones era. Not even close.

I was in Columbia for the game and it was undoubtedly the worst performance of the Butch Jones era. Not even close.
Which only means we will see a UT performance of historic proportions this Saturday,seriously this is what happens to UK football we are always a game late when it comes to the other guys throwing in a clunker.

Which only means we will see a UT performance of historic proportions this Saturday,seriously this is what happens to UK football we are always a game late when it comes to the other guys throwing in a clunker.

I do think that the USC loss and Jalen Hurd saga were some internal issues coming to a head.

Now that it has blown up, it seems the locker room has moved on in a positive manner with renewed focus and energy.

Problem is, being minus so many difference makers will severely hinder on-field results. However, most of Vol Nation thinks even with the injuries, if this team plays relatively well and with good energy, they will finish 9-3.

Reactions: Smashcat
If I were Kentucky's defensive coordinator I would watch the USC game tape and simply remake their defensive scheme.

They made Dobbs give the ball on zone-reads. They ran almost exclusive zone coverage. As you stated, Dobbs can be indecisive. Last season, Dobbs was incredibly careful with the football. Many Tennessee fans were clamoring for him to take some more chances. This season, he has pushed the ball and given our WR's some chances, but with mixed results.

We burned Florida and Virginia Tech (two of the best defenses in the country), but they ran a lot of man-to-man. South Carolina dropped 7 and 8 guys and made Dobbs make less obvious decisions and be more accurate.

Hopefully, if Tennessee sees a similar scheme from Kentucky this weekend, we will lean on the ground game and take our shots down the field, keeping the ball out of harms way. I believe designed QB runs, John Kelly, and Alvin Kamara can have enough success vs Kentucky to win. We abandoned the run vs USC for some unknown reason and never ran any designed QB runs...

Our offensive line does struggle with odd fronts and zero technique nose guards... We love to pull the center and cannot do so vs odd fronts. Hopefully, for Tennessee's sake, we have figured out some ways to alleviate this issue as well.

Good analysis Rocky. I agree with keying on Dobbs on the options and making him give it up. Running gives him confidence so if he is the key put him in the things he is less comfortable doing. I actually think that's the key with any dual threat QB. They are my first priority.

Reactions: RockyTopRowdy58

Georgia looked bad in some games as well. Lost to Vandy at home looked bad, almost lost to Nichols St won that game by 2. They were horrendous in that game. Looked terrible against Florida as well. They beat us.
UT beat Florida and smoked VT. They are more than capable of stepping up and playing on another level.
Lets hope they do not do so this sat.

Georgia looked bad in some games as well. Lost to Vandy at home looked bad, almost lost to Nichols St won that game by 2. They were horrendous in that game. Looked terrible against Florida as well. They beat us.
UT beat Florida and smoked VT. They are more than capable of stepping up and playing on another level.
Lets hope they do not do so this sat.

JMHO but I would like to see some QB draws, QB powers, QB iso's... Take the read element out of it. Make it a called QB run. This will undoubtedly get Dobbs' legs involved if the defense wants to take him out of the zone-read equation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT