ADVERTISEMENT

Have we even talked about the pressure that will trickle down to these players next year on Cal's behlaf?

Mar 3, 2024
Is it fair to them? NO. As much as Cal will try to minimize and keep it at bay, it will be there. Calls for changes were not only in house this year. The national media has picked up on it, and it's only going to get worse. I will always root for the players, but I can't for Cal. He made his bed, and he refuses to change.

This is the biggest reason I thought a change would be made.
The pressure next season on Cal and players will be like nothing he or any team has experienced.
Why would there be anymore pressure on the players than it's ever been?
How much pressure was on Rob?
The team was 24-10 and 0-2 in postseason but he's still going to be a top 5 pick.
It will be the same for the next group.
All the pressure will be to perform well so they stay on track for their individual goals.
These incoming kids don't really care about the fans happiness or even if Cal gets fired as long as they've taken care of business to be able to move on to the next level

Why would there be anymore pressure on the players than it's ever been?
How much pressure was on Rob?
The team was 24-10 and 0-2 in postseason but he's still going to be a top 5 pick.
It will be the same for the next group.
All the pressure will be to perform well so they stay on track for their individual goals.
These incoming kids don't really care about the fans happiness or even if Cal gets fired as long as they've taken care of business to be able to move on to the next level
Watch Cousins and Rondo go at it, you would think those guys still love the Cats

Reactions: DrH. Lecter
I was thinking about this exact thing earlier today. Could players decide they don’t want to be part of this pending pressure cooker and back out of their LOI?

Is it fair to them? NO. As much as Cal will try to minimize and keep it at bay, it will be there. Calls for changes were not only in house this year. The national media has picked up on it, and it's only going to get worse. I will always root for the players, but I can't for Cal. He made his bed, and he refuses to change.
It’s 8 months until next season, most of the media hype with our coach will be long forgotten. Besides, I have a feeling we may be living in crazy times come November

The heat for failure next year is going to be focused on the coach, like an ant under a magnifying glass.

And what constitutes failure/success? What if we make a Final 4 run but had another typical average regular season? What if our bracket next year falls apart and we get an easy road and go to a F4, but still didn't win anything in conference, had unacceptable losses, etc? What's even the point of recruiting?

The whole thing defies logic and is full of issues like above.

It’s a shame they will have to put up with false rumors about them and being trashed by you guys because of Cal.

He’s gonna try to run this gauntlet with a 17 year old JQ next spring. I’m sure it’s gonna go well! Older and tougher.

The only way next year works is return Shep, Z, Thiero and Wagner in addition to the others we expect back. Chuck the loser ass assistants who aren't doing anything and bring in a strict disciplinarian to teach defense and work the kids like Pitino did. Even then it will probably just be tenable as Wagner will probably just end up in the way again. At any rate, that's almost assuredly a pipe dream, we won't get those guys back.

Next year will be borderline unbearable as we lose another Champions Classic game, with no chance to win SEC regular or SECT championships. We are going to lose 12 games or more...and frankly we may lose more than that.
We are likely going to lose the all-time wins lead AGAIN.

Most likely the only real hope we have next season is that it becomes obvious to everyone that it's Cal's last.

It's been there since the 9-16 season however it will ratchet up a notch next year. We've seen the pressure Cal is feeling effect the team 3 straight years. He's aware of it. He tried to change this season. It worked pretty well until the games really mattered then you could see it in his coaching and how it affected the team.

And what constitutes failure/success? What if we make a Final 4 run but had another typical average regular season? What if our bracket next year falls apart and we get an easy road and go to a F4, but still didn't win anything in conference, had unacceptable losses, etc? What's even the point of recruiting?

The whole thing defies logic and is full of issues like above.

I see it as a great postseason run can nullify an average regular season (2011, 2014 for example), but a postseason choke will nullify a good or great regular season (2004 is a shining example of this)

Not that much of a concern if Shep, Wagner and Z return.Even better if they go all in on getting Thiero back.
In one sense that would really excite me as shep, Z, and Theiro are my favorite players on the team who could/or are possible to return. The flip side is cal is still coaching and he just all of a sudden in not going to be a better coach. I think Z has the potential to have a monster sophomore season but under cal I don’t think he would as cal will not let him play to his own skillset and instead force him to be someone that cal wants him to be.

The pressure for a successful season is going to be on regardless of roster which is one reason I don’t see shep or Z returning or Theiro even. Despite their bumps they all had a fun season last year but down the stretch in the SECT and NCAA no one played with a smile on their face at all. Big Z went from playing like a kid on Christmas morning every single game to playing like he had been constipated for two weeks. I fear all of next year is going to be a season of zero excitement and mirror to some degree our 9-16 season although our record won’t be as bad but probably still not good enough to punch a ticket.

• Love
Reactions: Girthang

This is what tells you LOUD & CLEAR that this ISNT AND HASNT BEEN about the players. If it were EVEN REMOTELY about the players, Cal would've stepped down or been moved into admin for the remainder.

It's down to administrative egos at this point and nothing more

JMO, but why would a one and done feel pressure?
They're here for six months then vamoose!
The pressure they should feel is the pressure from the coaching staff that we're going to do our part and we in turn expect nothing short of excellence from you.
I see this whole mess as a top down problem and not the other way around.
It's like raising kids. They will only learn the right way if they're taught the right way. JMO

Naw, no pressure. Theyre all going pro regardless what happens. This is what cow has built and he gets paid 9 mil to do it every year.

Eh….it sports. Pressure is always there, especially if you play at a high level. All these guys play high pressure.

I think it’s quite possible that next year is the complete opposite of this past year. Players were loved and it collectively it was the fanbases favorite team in quite sometime. Not fair to the players but because of cal I see a lot of animosity towards next years team and it will grow with each loss we take. I don’t think fans will take it out on individual players but it’s just going to have a completely different vibe next year with so much animosity the fanbase is going to have built up toward cal. Could really be an ugly season all the way around. Would not surprise me to see a parting of ways mid season.

Also would not surprise me if hardly anyone comes back, and we get Ho-hum players in the portal for cal to negotiate a buyout in the summer and walk away knowing what the year will look like under his watch. He knows he can’t coach any longer and needs a super team to cover his deficiencies. IMO this is it (the last year) but just how bad will it get is the only question,

Reactions: Seckatz
The heat for failure next year is going to be focused on the coach, like an ant under a magnifying glass.

It's been that way for years. It's such a phony statement when he says "stop blaming players". Noone blamed players for quite a while

Reactions: Ugoff
Next years freshmen will get zero rope. Karter Knox has already soured many with his comments about the NBA. #Playersfisrtsucks.

Not sure there will be any pressure. I'm starting to think Barhart is going to retire after this year so he has no plans on firing Cal regardless. I think he wants to kick the can down the road and let the next person deal with the coaching change.

He's been fielding tight teams late in tournaments since he got here. The first year they all forgot how to shoot against WVU. Even the championship team lost in the SEC tourney final and played far from their best basketball of the year in the Final Four.

only if people regurgitate the same thing all year. Seems like everything has been said but now it's all reruns.

This is the biggest reason I thought a change would be made.
The pressure next season on Cal and players will be like nothing he or any team has experienced.
I believe that's what got us THIS year. Next year will be even worse and I believe it will hurt us in the transfer portal too. Kentucky will not be successful until Cal leaves. I don't even hate the guy and I appreciate what he did for Ky Basketball. I'd love to see him retire on top but it ain't happenin.

Reactions: Girthang
Not sure there will be any pressure. I'm starting to think Barhart is going to retire after this year so he has no plans on firing Cal regardless. I think he wants to kick the can down the road and let the next person deal with the coaching change.

I hate to admit it, but I agree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT