ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone watched ISU

Jan 27, 2023
I haven’t seen a single game of theirs; was wondering if anyone has an evaluation.

On one hand, ISU has been framed as the surprise team of the year. On the other hand, for a team that’s ranked 6th, and is in second in a wicked Big12, they are kinda flying under the radar.

I'm pegging them to lose early in the tournament. Haven't watched them much, but not really impressed in anything they do from the couple games I've seen.

For an old-timer like me, there's something wrong in the basketball world when the top teams include Tennessee, Iowa State, Marquette, Creighton, Baylor, Auburn, etc. It just ain't right.
When I was first following hoops, St. Bonaventure was a power. Moral: a player or two matters a lot in hoops. (Bob Lanier at St. Bonaventure) One man bands -- so to speak -- are littered through hoops history. Larry Bird, Marcus Camby, Mark Aguirre. Yes, each had decent help, but decent help is easier to come by than a star. What seems odd about these teams you list is that most of them are composed entirely of "decent help." (Tennessee and Knecht comprise the exception.)

Aike had them pegged as one of the best early on in his system. I don't even think they were in the Top 25 at the time. I made a mental note to keep track of them at that point.

Reactions: fatguy87
For an old-timer like me, there's something wrong in the basketball world when the top teams include Tennessee, Iowa State, Marquette, Creighton, Baylor, Auburn, etc. It just ain't right.
Well now, BB ... as a fellow old-timer, I certainly agree with you about Tennessee, Iowa State, Creighton, Baylor, and Auburn. That part just ain't right. But as you know, Marquette won it all in 1977, and we're only 4-7 against Marquette after 1940, and we're 0-3 in our only NCAA Tournament games against Marquette since 1975. Plus ... I just really liked Al McGuire. :)

Iowa St was likely a top 2 team in 2000. They got put in Michigan State's bracket. You guys realize they have some history. They beat Carolina in 2014.

They play very physical and have athletes at every position. Their best non conference win was against Iowa when the Hawkeyes were short handed and not playing well. They’ve lost every conference road game against the other better teams in the Big 12. But it’s a tough conference to win on the road. They play extremely hard. I don’t see them making a deep run.

Well now, BB ... as a fellow old-timer, I certainly agree with you about Tennessee, Iowa State, Creighton, Baylor, and Auburn. That part just ain't right. But as you know, Marquette won it all in 1977, and we're only 4-7 against Marquette after 1940, and we're 0-3 in our only NCAA Tournament games against Marquette since 1975. Plus ... I just really liked Al McGuire. :)
Good point.

They play very physical and have athletes at every position. Their best non conference win was against Iowa when the Hawkeyes were short handed and not playing well. They’ve lost every conference road game against the other better teams in the Big 12. But it’s a tough conference to win on the road. They play extremely hard. I don’t see them making a deep run.
What is the % of Iowa vs ISU fans in state btw?

What is the % of Iowa vs ISU fans in state btw?
It’s interesting as I became a big Hawkeyes fan when my daughter started school there. She graduated from there in May and I’m relocating to Iowa City cause we love the college town environment and it’s a great town. We’ve spent a lot of time there but I had never been to Iowa before my daughter started. Ita very much a Hawkeyes state with ISU support coming mainly from a pocket of northwest Iowa. Ames
Is very small. Maybe 80-20 or 90-10 Iowa.

It’s interesting as I became a big Hawkeyes fan when my daughter started school there. She graduated from there in May and I’m relocating to Iowa City cause we love the college town environment and it’s a great town. We’ve spent a lot of time there but I had never been to Iowa before my daughter started. Ita very much a Hawkeyes state with ISU support coming mainly from a pocket of northwest Iowa. Ames
Is very small. Maybe 80-20 or 90-10 Iowa.
There’s something I very much like about Iowa especially next to the other corn and soybeans states. It feels very clean, the greenscape is a deeper green, and the people seem more content

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT