ADVERTISEMENT

Half of Millennials Are Delusional About Money

What is everyones financial goal, in regard to retirement age, savings, etc?

My goal is to own 5-7 investment properties and have them paid for in 10yrs. I turn 40 this October. I have two now that I could payoff with cash in the bank and also pay my current house off. I am sure I will have to work past the age of 50 due to insurance but wife has an excellent job. I want to be able to pay for my kids college like our parents did so they do not have the debt coming out of school like we are talking about above.
I would guess that something similar is everyone’s goal that has a nice upper middle class lifestyle. The problem is not everyone has an income to support that. Saying 1/2 of millenials are delusional about money like this is something new to this generation is silly. In my estimation 1/2 of everyone I have ever met is delusional about money, their age is just a number.

Reactions: Get Bucket$
KopiKat,
I don’t know if you are a baby boomer, Gen X, Gen Y, or a millennial.

I do know this though, you are terrible.

KopiKat: Harangues people about saving for retirement, and wags tongue at those struggling to save....

Dies from stroke 2 days into retirement. No will ever made

Just googled savings data by generation, guess which generation has the highest % of workers saving for retirement? Guess which generations group of people with children save the most? It’s incredible what a little data can do to knock down stereotypes. Yes there are deadbeat Millenials, but the vast majority I have worked with are very professional, thoughtful, and deliberate about their life choices and their finances.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sav...j1j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Your article said that one small SUBGROUP of Millennials (parents) are out saving other generations. Below is the headline of the article. The first 5 words is the key take away. About 75% of millennials are not parents. Also more millennials are living in poverty than any other generation.

Most millennials have zero savingsbut one sub-group outperforms all other generations

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/04/millennial-parents-are-out-saving-all-other-generations.html

Last edited:
men like me call absolute incompetence, failure, misaligned priorities, a lack of basic intelligence, low motivation (really, really low), and just awfully sad.
I could use these same words to describe the taxpayer support of public education over the last 20 years. The burden has shifted from the state (taxpayers) being responsible for 2/3 the operating budget to <1/3. Rising tuition is a hidden tax on those that go to college.

<For the record, I'm not very fond of the millennial generation>

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Just googled savings data by generation, guess which generation has the highest % of workers saving for retirement? Guess which generations group of people with children save the most? It’s incredible what a little data can do to knock down stereotypes. Yes there are deadbeat Millenials, but the vast majority I have worked with are very professional, thoughtful, and deliberate about their life choices and their finances.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sav...j1j4&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Talk about setting the bar low, the top savings category was $10k.

Also, when comparing saving rates of different generations, I think you would have to correct for older generations having pensions.

Oh, where to begin? The part where taking credit for social security as a form of strategic, individual saving is a good enough start, don't you think?
My point was that social security started in 1935, well before baby boomers, generation xers and millennials, because most Americans weren't disciplined enough to save on their own back then either.

Last edited:

My goal is to own 5-7 investment properties and have them paid for in 10yrs. I turn 40 this October. I have two now that I could payoff with cash in the bank and also pay my current house off. I am sure I will have to work past the age of 50 due to insurance but wife has an excellent job. I want to be able to pay for my kids college like our parents did so they do not have the debt coming out of school like we are talking about above.
I honestly never set a goal for retirement. I just try to save as much as possible. At my current savings/income rate, I am projected to be able to retire at 62 with 3.5M & end up with 10.5M at age 90. Assumes a 5.3% investment return.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Forgiveness is the fashion, so . . . get off my unsympathetic ass.
Since you're quick to rub the unsuccessful millennial the wrong way, what is your opinion of the multi-millionaire or billionaire risk-taker utilizing corporate laws and bankruptcy to shield personal wealth away from their creditors?

Reactions: fatguy87

The man up the street is in his 90's now and is presumably shifting much of the responsibility of his properties to his daughter and son-in-law. He bought his 2nd new Ford truck in a decade though.

I have personal savings, diversified investments and just 1 property so I'm working into my late 60's at minimum probably. Not sure what else I want to do besides travel anyway. I like my life right now all things considered.

Chances are if you are reading this, you have underestimated how much you'll need in retirement for HC and living expenses. But something is better than nothing any way you slice it.

Our president declared bankruptcy on failed investments. You can argue his abilities now that he is in office, but he skirted HUGE debts and now holds the highest office in the free world and is vastly wealthy. So in short, you're an idiot.

Lol wut?

Some of you need to man up and admit that Kopikat is right. It’s immoral to not pay debt. Somebody else picks up the slack when you don’t. I know immoral isn’t a fashionable word anymore but Jesus, stand for something already.

Reactions: KopiKat
A pair of individual farmers may combine, and often do, their farming operations, thus ensuring the personal wealth of their land and their home and their saved monies and often their already paid for machinery is shielded from the risk of the farm operation. This is called the corporate farm. I know many of them. So do you very likely. It is often a very smart way to do honest business, to isolate the expenses of seed grain, fertilizer, co-op services, fuel, additional machinery required for a given season, renting machinery, renting land, quotas, and so on. If these farmers are smart, their corporations will show only a tiny profit. Instead, they will put themselves on salary, amount adjustable. Once dissolved any assets are transferred back according to the terms as established. Are you expecting that I would choose to condone this practice at those levels available to me and be corrupted by denying it at a level available to fewer?
I'm just asking. I bolded my favorite part of your reply.

1. Who taught them?

2. Who created the financial world they're living in?

3. Everyone thinks they're going to be successful when they're young.

4. How much does the average 50-year-old have saved up, what's their debt, etc? Most people are stupid and awful with money.

I hope the next thing millenials "kill" are these stupid articles written about them every week.

As far as number two goes, they are being handed the best country in the world by the greatest generation. Boomers were bad sure, but they have limitless options thanks to those generations. Boomers also made the largest gains of any multi racial country anywhere near this size. And most of them disrespect that fact every single day.

Part of that is this generation never faught a war, doesn't rememeber 9/11, and only remember Obama's presidency.

Recipe for disaster. But I am glad they aren't fighting wars, it would be like the French fighting the Persians.

lol - farmers hate puns, ever notice ?
What is your crop KopiKat?

Further, how is a corn farmer all that much different than the govt subsidized educator you referenced? Just so you know, I believe Americans are getting much more for their energy tax dollars due to the fact that this country has become virtually energy independent. On the flip side, our children don't seem to have the necessary education to fill an increasing number of domestic jobs. Of course, this is not a black and white issue either.

To my knowledge college professor’s are not eligible for loan forgiveness. Not all public k-12 teachers are eligible. The program is used to get people into shortage fields such as special education, math and science. Even then they must teach for 5 consecutive years at a title 1 school, in other words a district with a high poverty rate.

These immoral teachers that have the audacity to not pay back all of their loans teach the subjects no one else wants to teach to the students no one else wants to teach at the schools no on else wants to work at. And you want to add in individual risk, let’s talk about school shootings.

I said all that to say this, you should STFU.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Can we not agree on an obvious, vast, almost immeasurable disparity in individual risk? I mean, honestly, if compensation packages were determined by actual risk, would anyone be paid less than a college professor at a public university??
So you measure compensation by risk when in the very example you gave, the combination appears to eliminate it completely then subsidies might be another risk-off. Farmers are also under no obligation to grow the crop being subsidized.

But my point is if we are going to subsidize anything, I would hope there would be an objective met, else reduce or eliminate it. Was energy independence an objective? Is the number of private-sector doctors, nurses etc. the best way to measure our educational tax dollars? I have no idea what teachers should be compensated but the objective to invest in yourself is right on topic with the discussion of exploding personal debt. Many like myself would choose neither occupation irregardless of the compensation or risk.

Last edited:
So you're telling me the youngest generation of working age people make the least amount of money?

[laughing]

Thoughts on Baby Boomers dying more than millennials? Are they just less healthy? What's wrong with them?
People that are 50 and have a whole career of hard work behind them looking at 25-30 year old's wondering why they aren't doing as well as them is really pretty stupid which is what this whole thread has basically been. On the other side of the coin though a lot of 25-30 year olds look at their income in the lower percentiles and think it is unfair. My problem with a lot of economic talk is that both sides are detached from reality quite a bit.

The main delusions I see that cause detachment from reality:

1. People that had a big head start (me, my parents paid for my college and helped with a down payment on my families first home) acting like people who had to take on debt to get started are irresponsible.

2. People who look at the income scale and think everyone is static ie the people living in poverty will be there their whole life and the people making huge incomes will be there their whole life. The vast majority of workers start somewhere in the bottom 20% of income and end up in the top 40% somewhere if they keep working.

3. That everyone's retirement needs are the same. Every article I read talks about $1 million or $2 million needed for retirement. There are workers all over the scale of income and living expenses, one retirement does not fit all. I know several people from our church that worked retail their whole life and didn't really save anything. They have either a very modest home or rent a very cheap apartment and they are doing just fine on Social Security and Medicare. You need to look at your lifestyle and understand how much it will cost to keep that going. The big problems for retirement are people with bigger incomes like families making $150,000+ or individuals making $80,000+ who have no savings and a lot of debt and move into bigger houses in their late 40's and early 50's. Those people can't live on Social Security and Medicare.

1. Give 17 year olds thousands of dollars in loans for a purpose they have been conditioned to think they need.

2. Make said loans non-bankruptable (one of the only forms of credit in this country you can't discharge in bankruptcy.

3. Bitch about any concession at all on said loans.

Just like every generation, there are good boomers and bad boomers. Several in this thread are complete dipshits and need to be laughed off Catpaw.

Good stuff, thanks for mature conversation.

I don’t see the problem with lack of maturity here. Now on the other hand, your comment prior was pretty childish but hey, you are the one crying about debt you and your wife willingly incurred.

He’s right. People know what they sign up for, and if they don’t then they are a moron who deserve what they get. So either honor your debt or don’t. I don’t have much respect for folks who aren’t man enough to honor their word and instead look for a justified “in their mind” shortcut.

Don’t want student loan debt - don’t go to college if the return isn’t worth the investment. Or go to the military and earn college money, start in community college, go to a trade school, etc.

There are plenty of options. So the “whoa is me, I have a lot of student loan debt” whining is just that - whining.

Last edited:
Reactions: qwesley
I don’t see the problem with lack of maturity here. Now on the other hand, your comment prior was pretty childish but hey, you are the one crying about debt you and your wife willingly incurred.

He’s right. People know what they sign up for, and if they don’t then they are a moron who deserve what they get. So either honor your debt or don’t. I don’t have much respect for folks who aren’t man enough to honor their word and instead look for a justified “in their mind” shortcut.

Don’t want student loan debt - don’t go to college if the return isn’t worth the investment. Or go to the military and earn college money, start in community college, go to a trade school, etc.

There are plenty of options. So the “whoa is me, I have a lot of student loan debt” whining is just that - whining.

WTF are any of you idiots talking about, quit being emotional drama queens and inserting subjective things like "whining" and "men like you and men like me blah blah" crap and go back and reread my posts and see how a well adjusted grown man types. I feel like I'm talking to menopausal women.

If you actually read my posts they are just statements not hormonal insults. I said back in 2003 my senior year at UK my tuition was 1,800. It's almost 20k now, my post was to show some of you guys how ridiculous the price jump has been in just 15 years, way exceeding inflation or any other measure. I then said he'd be blown away with how much debt me and my wife incurred in our extensive schooling after undergrad. Now control your emotions and hormones for a bit and realize it was a matter of fact statement, not whining, as I said in a post after that my income is far too high to ever qualify for debt foregivness.

Now take a deep breath and try not to soil yourselves and tell me how great of a person you are and stay with me as I repeat what I already said. To qualify for debt foregiveness the kid from Glasgow that wanted to make his family proud and go to UK and become a teacher and inspire others to do the same has a 80k debt that UK just destroyed him with - in order to be "forgiven" he has to make 240 payments with a 9% interest rate for 20 years in an underserved area i.e. provide a public good to have it forgiven, likewise a health care professional has to work in an underserved area or free public clinic making 1/4 what they would in the private sector to have it "forgiven". In this case I personally would not fault the person for taking advantage of that.

That's it, that was literally the only thing I said.

WTF are any of you idiots talking about, quit being emotional drama queens and inserting subjective things like "whining" and "men like you and men like me blah blah" crap and go back and reread my posts and see how a well adjusted grown man types. I feel like I'm talking to menopausal women.

If you actually read my posts they are just statements not hormonal insults. I said back in 2003 my senior year at UK my tuition was 1,800. It's almost 20k now, my post was to show some of you guys how ridiculous the price jump has been in just 15 years, way exceeding inflation or any other measure. I then said he'd be blown away with how much debt me and my wife incurred in our extensive schooling after undergrad. Now control your emotions and hormones for a bit and realize it was a matter of fact statement, not whining, as I said in a post after that my income is far too high to ever qualify for debt foregivness.

Now take a deep breath and try not to soil yourselves and tell me how great of a person you are and stay with me as I repeat what I already said. To qualify for debt foregiveness the kid from Glasgow that wanted to make his family proud and go to UK and become a teacher and inspire others to do the same has a 80k debt that UK just destroyed him with - in order to be "forgiven" he has to make 240 payments with a 9% interest rate for 20 years in an underserved area i.e. provide a public good to have it forgiven, likewise a health care professional has to work in an underserved area or free public clinic making 1/4 what they would in the private sector to have it "forgiven". In this case I personally would not fault the person for taking advantage of that.

That's it, that was literally the only thing I said.

Take a Prozac, assclown. If you don’t want to honor your debt, that’s on you. Just don’t act like you have sand in your mangina when people point out your character issues.

I know you're trying to sound intellectual with your posts, but you went on a 3 paragraph rant like a teenage girl telling me about your high morality and my low character after I told you how much tuition at UK is. [laughing]

Ron, I think you have difficulty maintaining distinction for a broadly debated topic without misconstruing for one directed exclusively at you, particularly when other ideas becoming misaligned with your own.

He gets emotional quick. That’s typically a sign of menstrution or immaturity.

btw, I wouldn't dare loan money to ANY of you guys. I wouldn't care if you had the collateral of a thousand Temples. Man who borrows and lacks the fierce determination to repay in 100% full isn't fit to live free.
My wife's car is paid off in August. We preferred 0.9% interest over 36 months in this case. Felt it was worth the sacrifice.

Reactions: KopiKat
But how can they save? Given their low wages,the cost of living, and the amount of student loans they have?

I think that most millennial are actually being smarter with their money. Business websites are putting out “millenials killed the ______ industry” articles on a daily basis.
Let’s see. I can live in my parents basement, drive my parents car, have them feed me and keep me on their insurance, take out a 100,000 student loan and major in puppetry. Then when I can’t find a job, I can blame everyone but myself for making such piss poor life choices.

Talking about generations is ridiculous and foolish anyway. I’m 36, what do a 22 year old and I possibly have in common, financially or anywhere else? It’s the equivalent of saying, “All whites/blacks/Asians/Hispanics/etc do __blank__!” No they don’t and that’s illogical thinking.

But if it makes you feel like you’re better than someone else and you don’t mind being EXACTLY like the generation before you that said the same broadstroke fallacies about you that you’re now projecting on the most recent generation, have at it and sleep tight, sugar.

Ultimately some turn of events will diminish America’s global stature and the dollar will have the value of a peso, live in the now
oh that turn of events is happening right now. Mr Scrooge thinks America is the world's piggy bank when in reality we are leveraged to the hilt and basically dumping on all of our creditors. All they have to do is just hint at not continuing to pay for our extravagance, treasury yields go through the roof and suddenly, America is fudged. It will happen like a slow train wreck that no one could see coming but in hindsight it was easy to read the tea leaves. That time is here. These huge swings in the stock market are just further proof of the rats rearranging deck chairs on the titanic. America reached its peak in 2000, could have turned that surplus into a real effort to bring down the debt but instead 524 votes gave us never-ending war and tax cuts. It's 3am and everyone is trying to find the last of the champagne before the party is over.

No idea what irresponsibility you’re talking about? Millennials are irresponsible or what do you mean?i would contest there are large swaths of people in every generation ever that are indeed, irresponsible.

I tell you who, IN GENERAL, are bad tippers...Mid-Westerners, old people, black people, young people, females in groups, foreigners (obviously).

Best tippers...guys in groups over 25 years old but under 75, couples in their 30s, Yankees, locals in resort towns, good humans.

I tell you who, IN GENERAL, are bad tippers...Mid-Westerners, old people, black people, young people, females in groups, foreigners (obviously).

Best tippers...guys in groups over 25 years old but under 75, couples in their 30s, Yankees, locals in resort towns, good humans.
What’s a good tip? 20%?

Speaking of tipping, does anyone tip for takeout at a sitdown restaurant? I'd never heard about it until like last week on a different message board I visit.

ADVERTISEMENT