ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss the sports journalists of old. Crusty dudes who looked like they ripped heaters and probably enjoyed a good pour of brown.

These men took their craft seriously but didn’t take themselves seriously nor act like they were out here championing some greater good. They got sports were a release from every day life.

I also appreciated how they realized the athletes and coaches were their allies in terms of getting info so they’d grab a beer and a bite with said athlete or coach to gather intel.
I am pretty sure that's what modern reporters do too. I think your confusing talking heads with reporters. There is a huge difference. Opinions are not reporting and reporting is not opinions. Most people from my estimation are not good at recogning the difference though.

Big time modern reporters in sports are guys like: Woj, Jay Glazer, Adam Schefter, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: ThroughBlue
PQBTV3ROPAI6NOR7KXRFHF323Q.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Zfy9cS4A.jpg

I am pretty sure that's what modern reporters do too. I think your confusing talking heads with reporters. There is a huge difference. Opinions are not reporting and reporting is not opinions. Most people from my estimation are not good at recogning the difference though.

Big time modern reporters in sports are guys like: Woj, Jay Glazer, Adam Schefter, etc.
How can you overlook all the annoying virtue signaling from most modern sports journalists? IDGAF what they think about covid, social justice, or politics. I want to read about sports to get away from that shit.

Oofos for Sandal Dad, preferably after Labor Day on a weekday when I run to Kroger about 9 am and grab a plunger, a 12 pack, and gummy bears.

Growing up in NYC area, plenty of opinion journalism, Red Smith, Dave Anderson, George Vescey and the curmudgeon Young, followed later by Lupica.

But,that didn't really appeal to me, loved the information, who was getting traded, who was behaving badly, who was about to get fired. You could not beat the Sunday Globe, which, hand down, had the best sports section for years. A page for each major sport, plus golf, tennis, boxing etc.

Peter Gammons, Will McDonough, etal. Each of their Sunday columns took up a whole page of just notes. Since the internet, many people fill the void of "information guy" on a more immediate basis.

How can you overlook all the annoying virtue signaling from most modern sports journalists? IDGAF what they think about covid, social justice, or politics. I want to read about sports to get away from that shit.
Those are not reporters though. They are talking heads and opinion people. They are paid to give their opinion on sports so that's what they do. They aren't paid to report the news. They are paid to talk about the news that has already been reported.

In UK jargon Jerry Tipton is a reporter and Larry Vaught is an editorialist. Vaught talks about UK news. Tipton reports it.

Last edited:
Those are not reporters though. They are talking heads and opinion people. They are paid to give their opinion on sports so that's what they do. They aren't paid to report the news. They are paid to talk about the news that has already been reported.
Kyle Tucker is on the beat. Fairly certain that's exactly what he's paid to do.

Kyle Tucker is on the beat. Fairly certain that's exactly what he's paid to do.
We're conflating people on ESPN who get paid to give opinions with beat reporters. That's all I'm saying. Beat reporters by and large don't get into the commentary game. They report facts as they learn them. No need to throw those people under the bus with the people who are commenting on social justice issues and things because you don't like that. It's fine to say I don't like ESPN, but there are a lot of good reporters working for ESPN regardless of what anyone thinks about the commentators that work for them.

Just being more precise with language can help people find the world isn't as crappy as they think it is. I don't like throwing everyone under a bus when it is largely a very select group of folks who do the annoying things. Being imprecise leads to hyperbolic thinking, exaggeration, and mistruths.

We're conflating people on ESPN who get paid to give opinions with beat reporters. That's all I'm saying. Beat reporters by and large don't get into the commentary game. They report facts as they learn them. No need to throw those people under the bus with the people who are commenting on social justice issues and things because you don't like that. It's fine to say I don't like ESPN, but there are a lot of good reporters working for ESPN regardless of what anyone thinks about the commentators that work for them.

Just being more precise with language can help people find the world isn't as crappy as they think it is. I don't like throwing everyone under a bus when it is largely a very select group of folks who do the annoying things. Being imprecise leads to hyperbolic thinking, exaggeration, and mistruths.
Here is a precise statement...

Quit posting.

Schefter and others like him are nothing more than readers of info that was texted to them on their cells. That is not reporting, regardless of what the "definition" says.

As Richie said, your Max Mercy's are going extinct. Opinions, yes, but they also gave the reader insight that was longed for, and they carried a mighty sword. Harig and Rinaldi, for example, are a couple who are still old school, even in the current microwave era of info.

I don't read The Athletic. I don't really know what Kyle Tucker does. If he is a beat reporter he generally would not have a lot of commentary.

These guys live on Twitter where Tucker is the cliched loud, whiny uberliberal twat who has never had an opinion that anyone who’s followed him or any of the other millennial sportswriter clones couldn’t guess already. It’s like these geeks meet every week to come up with the party line. Give me ANY topic and I can guess with 100% accuracy where Tucker and his ilk fall.

Dr. Seuss?

“Blahblah rolleyes at references to cancel culture, nothing was canceled, blahblah ...”

I don’t get on Twitter but guarantee I nailed his take.

My biggest issue with all these millennial journos is:

a) They’re unoriginal
b) They mistake their following for who they are instead of what they are

Last edited:
I'm a dirty liberal and even I have had enough of Kyle Tucker. He comes across as an unlikable asshole regardless of the subject.

Sports Journalists have always believed that they are smarter than their consumer. I recognized this as a kid when reading the columns written by that drunken POS Billy Reed. Twitter has only revealed this even further because it's allowed them to speak on every subject and do it without concerns about it being edited.

- It really shouldn't be that hard for these sportswriters. Just do what Jones does...have an account for your sports info/takes, and then have a separate account that people can follow if they want to hear your opinion on all other matters. He keeps things pretty separate, and even when he mentions non-sports issues on his main account, it's essentially just a quick toe dip in the water. Of course, many of these guys might be scared to see just how many people DON'T want to follow a separate account for their views. But that's the easiest way to do it.

- The sad part about Tucker is that he's good. REALLY good. But it so often gets overlooked because he just can't help but dive into other stuff.

- Watched a decent doc on the basketball talent coming out of Prince Georges County (MD) last night. Was heavily Durant-focused, but also featured Len Bias, Michael Beasley, etc. Also featured one of my all-time favorite CBB players, Walt Williams of Maryland. Loved that guy.

- Think there will be more second-round upsets than first-round upsets this year. Three first-round upsets I'm picking....UCSB, Winthrop, VaTech. Also wouldn't shock me to see Morehead State put a scare (or worse) into WVU.

- Team that I'm the most on the fence about (that poor fence LOLZ!!!)....Texas. Change my mind every hour about those guys. They've lost so many games over the years, but that's the thing...that backcourt has played a LOT of games together, and those bigs can be special. On the flipside, they've had chemistry issues, sometimes DURING GAMES...in crunch time, will they trust each other? And will they take good shots? A crapshoot, IMO.

- Would love to see a tight one tonight between Drake and WSU, and then an MSU curbstomp of Mick. Also don't need to see Johnny Juzang on my screen for more than one game, thanks.

-reporters/entertainers have always been overwhelmingly leftys...thats OK. Some of my favourite musicians are left of pol pot...i compartmentalize/i don't have a need for airbody to agree with me...im comfortable in my skin/my principles are sound.

-I can(and have) get behind *real* sj issues. The modern media/twitter journalist screams outrage/injustice whilst sucking off big tech/wall street/totalitarian states*...its laughable/unsettling.

^they think they're fighting the system when they are the system, atkot.

*they did this with the USSR...semi-excusable at the time as info wasn't as readily available at the time.

/rant.

The sports writing profession in the internet age has certainly skewed much lower, as we’ve seen with KSR. If nothing else, the industry is collectively less likely to shit themselves.

The people that complain about the media leaning left would also throw a fit if their kid announced they were going into journalism and those two things are maybe related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT