ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slots him in somewhere around 7th highest paid in the country. For 0 tourney wins.

It’s not my money, but Jesus
Yeah - I have a big issue with this. What's his salary in BYU? You have to pay the man, but couldn't you go with heavy incentives and a lower base?

*Winning is all that matters, but man it will be nice to have a smart leader dedicated to the program. No more used car bullshit.

*His offense will also be straight 🔥 if he can get talent that can shoot.

*We really don’t know what kind of recruiter he is at this point. Crazy that his first opportunity to prove it is at UK, but based on his personality, and his offensive system, we could be in for a pleasant surprise. This is assuming Mitch didn’t alienate every single person with money by making this move.

*Pope system with great NIL and this could be our own high character Oats who will never leave.

*People can be furious at Mitch and I get it. I’m mostly just stunned, but I truly hope fans can rally around Pope and not let their Mitch hatred be so insane that it damages whether or not players or assistants will want to even be here.

This has a chance to be amazing and I hope BJW doesn’t cut the legs out from under it before giving it a shot.

*Counter to what most think, I actually don’t consider this a pussy weakling hire. It’s easy to throw money around. Mitch is really putting his nuts on the line here, and I don’t think that’s easy. With that said, if it doesn’t work out, slit his throat and dump his body in the river.

An interesting roster for next year could be:
Pg-Reed
Sg-Knell averaged 11 ppg for BYU-39% from 3 with 174 attempts (top 10 in the nation)
Sf-Robinson averaged 14 ppg last year 35% on 229 attempts (he came off the bench last year for them and was their leading scorer
Pf-JQ or 6-11 grad transfer Waterman 10
ppg 37% from 3 on 154 attempts
C-Z would murder in Pope’s offense and he’d get him in the lottery or the Egyptian Magician Waterman Khakifa who is an amazing passer and good enough 3 to keep you honest. He led the conference last year in assist to the turnover percentage and was 3rd nationally in assist rate. This is at 6-11 270 mind you. He averaged as many assists as Avila last year who is an amazing passer in 12 minutes less played per game.

Bench
Guards-
Perry-great fit
6-4 Hall 9 ppg last season for BYU shot 145 3s at 36% tough as nails pg
6-5 Saunders 10 ppg at BYU 52% from 3 in 99 attempts
Bigs-
Burks-good fit
Traore 6-6 240 bully in the post
who’s not very skilled but took advantage of some one on one opportunities in the post because they couldn’t double the post due to all the shooters.

Last edited:
An interesting roster for next year could be:
Pg-Reed
Sg-Knell averaged 11 ppg for BYU-39% from 3 with 174 attempts
Sf-Robinson averaged 14 ppg last year 35% on 229 attempts
Pf-JQ
C-Z would murder in Pope’s offense and he’d get him in the lottery or a 6-11 Waterman grad transfer 10 ppg 37% from 3 on 154 attempts

Bench
Guards-
Perry-great fit
6-4 Hall 9 ppg last season for BYU shot 145 3s at 36%
6-5 Saunders 10 ppg at BYU 52% from 3 in 99 attempts
Bigs-
Burks-good fit
They have a backup big 6-11 270 Khalifa they call the Egyptian Magician who shot 92 3s and made 32%.

BYU led the nation in 3s taken last year and the highest percentage of field goals assisted on. They were a top 10 kenpom offense as well.

Even in this best case scenario script, that's probably a bottom four roster in the SEC, fyi

Mitch went rogue on the hire. All eggs were put into the Scott Drew basket. He was devastated that he didn’t get him. Drew wanted the gig but his wife put hammer down and nixed the deal. Crushed Mitch. Made big swing at Hurley, whiff. No Mike Pratt to aide him along the way. Some were pushing Oats, Pearl and NBA guys. So much conflicting info out there on Oats. When I tell you Frank Vogel was a real possibility you know the search was off the rails. Dealing with Cal wore him out. Doesn’t help Cal smeared him out the door. Pope was quick get but unfortunately Mitch didn’t read the room, but that’s an issue he has.

Now my thoughts on Pope. Too soon, too quick obviously, but I think it can work. He was finalist for Arizona job when Lloyd got it. He essentially had Kevin Bacon running point guard at Footloose HS and got them into tourney. He will work the portal. Heck he beat Cal for a big in the portal a couple years back…Haarms kid. He’ll be very good on trail, charismatic as heck and will connect with families on the trail. If he could recruit non-morman kids to BYU, he’ll get kids to UK.
We don’t need 4-5 5 star kids. Get a couple and wear the portal out. Hopefully NIL will be there. That’s the new formula. First portal recruit I want in his offense is Milk Chamberlain.

Mark Pope is acknowledged in coaching circles as a huge up and comer. An offensive genius. I don't really see the downside to all of this. If he flames, he flames. You can afford to fire him, and maybe get the "big name" that everyone seems to want. And this time, there won't be big shoes to fill.

If it DOES work (and I have a hunch that it will), you got in on the ground floor. You get a young coach that is tied to the University on many levels, that will be loyal as hell, actually KNOWS what Kentucky basketball means, and will give it his all.

- Convince Reed to stay. Likewise with Z and Burks. Let Thiero know the door is still open.

- Put full-court press on the McNeely kid. Plenty of minutes available at the 3. And kick the tires on the Noah kid from Harlan County who signed with South Carolina. Fits the new Kentucky system much better.

- Portal for the rest. There's a clip on YouTube of Pope (wearing those ridiculous Pat Kelsey glasses, unfortunately) talking strictly about NIL. I love what he says about it. And there are a LOT of intriguing kids still out there.

- Most intriguing part to me will be how he fills out his staff. He's only spent two years coaching in the Eastern time zone. One of those was as a UGA assistant. Does he bring in Mark Fox as that veteran voice on the bench? Fox worked in an off-court capacity this past year for Cooley at GU. Does he bring in an old teammate like Allen Edwards, who has HC experience and has been working for Frank Martin? I like the idea of those two guys, plus two recruiters. And a GM who can strictly focus on the portal, NIL, and retention.

- He had an actual analytics guy on staff. Not a Joel Justus...an ACTUAL analytics guy.

- This year, he beat Bill Self, Scott Drew, TJ Oetzelberger, Jerome Tang, Rodney Terry, Jamie Dixon, Bobby Hurley, and Brian Dutcher.

- Mitch botched it, search-wise, but the more I read and watch tonight, the better I feel. I guess what I'm saying is, who knows maybe our new coach will win

- Convince Reed to stay. Likewise with Z and Burks. Let Thiero know the door is still open.

- Put full-court press on the McNeely kid. Plenty of minutes available at the 3. And kick the tires on the Noah kid from Harlan County who signed with South Carolina. Fits the new Kentucky system much better.

- Portal for the rest. There's a clip on YouTube of Pope (wearing those ridiculous Pat Kelsey glasses, unfortunately) talking strictly about NIL. I love what he says about it. And there are a LOT of intriguing kids still out there.

- Most intriguing part to me will be how he fills out his staff. He's only spent two years coaching in the Eastern time zone. One of those was as a UGA assistant. Does he bring in Mark Fox as that veteran voice on the bench? Fox worked in an off-court capacity this past year for Cooley at GU. Does he bring in an old teammate like Allen Edwards, who has HC experience and has been working for Frank Martin? I like the idea of those two guys, plus two recruiters. And a GM who can strictly focus on the portal, NIL, and retention.

- He had an actual analytics guy on staff. Not a Joel Justus...an ACTUAL analytics guy.

- This year, he beat Bill Self, Scott Drew, TJ Oetzelberger, Jerome Tang, Rodney Terry, Jamie Dixon, Bobby Hurley, and Brian Dutcher.

- Mitch botched it, search-wise, but the more I read and watch tonight, the better I feel. I guess what I'm saying is, who knows maybe our new coach will win
Excellent post! I'd also see if Joey Hart wants to return. He seems like a player for this offense. I also think this move puts Mash Jr into play as a portal option. Pope and Mash didn't play together but both, of course, are Pitino guys. This could also put Sir Mohammed into play. Nazr has already praised the hire and talked about his love for Pope.

I'm highly intrigued with Pope. The more you look into him and listen to him speak, the more this feels like a potentially perfect hire. Personality wise, Pope is a breath of fresh air. Initially, that will win him over more than anything else.

Last edited:
I see what you did there.

It'll be fine. Just get someone to jump on the bed for you, and you'll get there.

At the end of the day, what matters most, is that I got to rub my huge nuts all over half of GYERO.

Last edited:
after the initial knee-jerk shock last night... i'm warming to it. I think the issue with many was the process seemed rushed, more than the actual hire... but that's today's market I guess.

Obviously he wants to be here... While that alone isn't all he needs- it's a damn good start compared to what we've been accustomed to. I know i'm extremely excited for them to start the season already and see what this is all about- and that hasnt been the case in a while.

If this is where we landed, i'm too exhausted from the last few years of being bitter- so i'll find the optimism in it as long as I can.

And I just realized I’ve talked myself into it just like that, I’m all in for two years, touch it.

Anything is better than Cal, even two shit years and firing our own if that’s what happens, then all the stink is gone at least.

We have to give Pope a shot and pull for him, who knows and what’s the point of staying angry when we were all SOAKED when Cal left?

As someone else noted, Pitino was like choice 3 and that worked out pretty well, although I hope Pope has at least a small mean streak like Pitino.

In looking at the portal, there are some good fits available:
6-11 Maxime Raynaud Stanford-ranked first in the portal averaged 15 & 10-36% from 3
6-4 Johnell Davis Florida Atlantic 18 ppg and 41% from 3
6-1 Malik Mack Harvard-17 ppg/34% from 3/will be a sophomore
6-7 AJ Storr Wisconsin 17 ppg/32% from 3/will be a junior (probably not a good fit because he’s a terrible passer/playmaker)
6-11 Jevon Porter Pepperdine 16ppg/30% from 3/will be a junior
6-2 Jordan Pope Oregon State 18ppg/37% from 3/will be a junior
6-7 Cade Tyson Belmont 16 ppg/47% from 3/will be a junior.

It took about an hour of utter disbelief last night, but I’m in. I’ve actually talked myself into being excited. If we can get donors onboard, then I see no reason why this can’t be a success. I’d say the majority of fans will be onboard once their shock wears off and Pope gets a few recruits and assistants onboard. Shep coming back would help him tremendously, however unlikely that is.

This fanbase is something to be studied. I’ve never seen such irrational responses and temper tantrums by grown-ass adults. And I include myself in that group. It’s like a massive scale collective fight-or-flight response anytime there is anything perceived as negative. It’s wild.

after the initial knee-jerk shock last night... i'm warming to it. I think the issue with many was the process seemed rushed, more than the actual hire... but that's today's market I guess.

Obviously he wants to be here... While that alone isn't all he needs- it's a damn good start compared to what we've been accustomed to. I know i'm extremely excited for them to start the season already and see what this is all about- and that hasnt been the case in a while.

If this is where we landed, i'm too exhausted from the last few years of being bitter- so i'll find the optimism in it as long as I can.
Exact same. If this hire would have happened next week after Billy D strung us along again I think it would have been more palatable. But we were slowly creeping to Shaka/Miller territory, so I kinda understand.

Pro-tip to Pope: cut out the cutesy shit entirely. Stuff like wearing your old jersey under a suit would normally be endearing but after listening to Cal's idiot ass for years, the BBN has no tolerance for it at current.

* I don't mind the hire. I *HATE* the way it was made.

* It has been time for Barnhart to retire for more than half a decade, too. As soon as the ink is dry on Pope's contract, Barnhart needs to announce his retirement and take the summer to let everyone pretend to cry for his departure.

* Bring back Z, Thiero, and Burks and go grab Robbie Avila and lets try to score a billion points per game.

* F*** it. I've seen worse outcomes for Kentucky basketball than a young upstart coming in like a man on fire with a commitment to shooting the other team out of the GD gym by the first TV timeout.

GO WILDCATS!

What pisses me off is Z is going to transfer to Arkansas to play under Cal there, but it was basically assumed all along he’d have declared if cal stayed at Kentucky. Makes no sense. If I’m Pope, Z & Reed are the 2 most important recruits of my career.

Mitch really put Pope in a shitty situation, eh? I've never seen a universal response to news of a hiring like last night. Even the Mitch White Knights hated the hire.

Now we're stuck with the conundrum of looking like assholes for hating the hiring of a well-liked ex-player who had no business getting this job or being forced to pretend this wasn't the worst decision (given timing and other available options) Mitch could have possibly made.

This is unbelievable.

Pope made 200k on 2018. What a ride. Good for him.

Getting dragged by everyone online nothing more to do then rally around at this point. No idea how he constructs a top 5 SEC roster in yr 1. From kids like Rob to Larry Nerd I guess. Some oppourtunity there with a ton of challenges. Cool has left the building hope winning big replaces it.

Regardless as been said time for Mitch to GTFO

Augusta for the next 72 hours phone free much needed. Ill be in blue.

I’ve talked to the boosters, they’re all in, now stfu and get on board.

Everyone just wanted Cal gone, he’s gone, throw your hat in with a former player and let’s ride! His name is Mark for christs sake, it’s a REALLY solid biblical name that doesn’t get its due, jmo.

Wtf else you gonna do? Be mad all year for the 5th straight year?

Well…bye.

Mitch went rogue on the hire. All eggs were put into the Scott Drew basket. He was devastated that he didn’t get him. Drew wanted the gig but his wife put hammer down and nixed the deal. Crushed Mitch. Made big swing at Hurley, whiff. No Mike Pratt to aide him along the way. Some were pushing Oats, Pearl and NBA guys. So much conflicting info out there on Oats. When I tell you Frank Vogel was a real possibility you know the search was off the rails. Dealing with Cal wore him out. Doesn’t help Cal smeared him out the door. Pope was quick get but unfortunately Mitch didn’t read the room, but that’s an issue he has.

Now my thoughts on Pope. Too soon, too quick obviously, but I think it can work. He was finalist for Arizona job when Lloyd got it. He essentially had Kevin Bacon running point guard at Footloose HS and got them into tourney. He will work the portal. Heck he beat Cal for a big in the portal a couple years back…Haarms kid. He’ll be very good on trail, charismatic as heck and will connect with families on the trail. If he could recruit non-morman kids to BYU, he’ll get kids to UK.
We don’t need 4-5 5 star kids. Get a couple and wear the portal out. Hopefully NIL will be there. That’s the new formula. First portal recruit I want in his offense is Milk Chamberlain.
Milk apparently is going to St. Louis but would kill it in this offense. I’m in the same boat as you on Pope. He’s calm during games and fair to the media. He’ll kill the presser too.

He’s heavily utilized analytics for over
10 years. Tracks things like points per possession, dribbles per possession, who crashes the boards and who sprints back on d.

Mixes up defenses. Mostly man and ices pnrs (which negates having to hedge and recover). Also will occasionally press, trap in the half court and zone. Think they were in the 60s in KenPom this year.

Offensively, lots of staggered screens, zoom action, dribble hand offs and side pnr. They do an incredible job of taking advantage of mismatches when presented (we were awful at that this year). Attacks 2 for 1 scenarios well and hunts 3s in transition too. Top 10 in KP this year.

1st in 3 pt attempts this year in the country/2 more per game this year than Bama.

Last edited:
“That’s it” is carrying a LOT of weight there.

Who is going to be on the roster?

Upside:
- he’s allegedly an offensive guru
- he knows and gets UK basketball

Risks:
- never won an NCAA game
- never recruited at a national contender level
- does he (Mitch) have commitments from donors to give him the NIL he is gonna need?
- who are his assistants going to be?
- will we have an SEC level roster?

I’m fine to be optimistic but the questions that are there are BIG questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT