ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize that Bob Sr. is the king of doing more for less pay than he deserves, but you also have to wonder how much legacy, impact, and history factor into Dan’s long term goals.

UCONN is great and under the radar in the college landscape in terms of traditional power programs, but also gets a sliver of the local and national attention UK gets outside of NC years.

Brothers are competitive as shit. Especially in sports. Bob Jr obviously did more than Dan on the hardwood. Is a bigger legacy coaching wise than dad and making people forget about his brother entirely when mentioning the Hurley name in college basketball something that motivates Dan if $11mil a year doesn’t?

He seems like more of a perfectionist to me than a complacent I rest on my laurels and coast on my ego guy like Cal. It feels like Dan wants to be the best always, and it’s quite clear that UCONN can’t measure up to UK in any of the major things that decide long term success as a college basketball coach, whether it be fan base, pay, recruiting, NIL, media attention, or anything else that matters to high major D1 coaches, who by and large are some of the most hyper competitive ego maniacs in sports.

And UK gave Cal a lifetime contract with only one natty under his belt. The win at all costs pressure of the NBA, where the brand of basketball is opposite to the brand that Dan coaches just doesn’t seem like the same pull to him as getting more than NBA money with a better environment like UK would.

Reactions: jayroon
If you really think Mitch is a great AD you’re a mouthbreather.

I see Bama sign Oats to an $18 million dollar buyout and just shake my head. That’s leading. I see AD’s who can convince someone to stay for less $$$. He had to pay Cal an insane amount of money to not leave. Mitch has one thing…..$$$.

His and Cal’s shenanigans are both the reason for this mess.

-Looking back at the week. Just seems like Scott Drew was inevitable. Was the rest of the "search" all dog and pony or did we really pursue the other 3? I'm not sure we'll ever find out.

-A 10 million dollar buyout of Nate Oats wasn't an issue. I mean we were "allegedly" offering Hurley nearly 100M in contract. If the the 12M 7-8yr deal was accurate.

-Seems pretty coincidental several local outlets got scoop last night within minutes of his family on the plane story out of Waco.

-You don't fly your family to check out the city if you haven't accepted the job. Never heard of such things and they all knew flights were being tracked. That SOP in al coaching searches.

-Anyway, sounds like we got our guy. I love the hire, regardless of what happened this week, and I'm legit excited about UK Basketball again.

-Chris Vernon's Super Bowl.

-God to see some old faces around here. Stick around, we need all the help we can get these days.
Regarding Oats, the buyout was the primary issue. We tried to negotiate it down from 18 million but their AD (who used to work with Mitch) refused to negotiate.

Reactions: NW50
I *get* not wanting to hand over $18 mil to a school (especially in-conference) to swipe their coach, but it still seems worthwhile if we are swinging around up to NINE figures for an alternative. There are two college homeruns, IMO. He’s one of them. He’s worth that buyout.

Last edited:
I'll actually give mitch credit here. If his 1a and 1b are drew/Hurley after he was told Oats buyout couldn't be negotiated, he played it right. Play them against each other and try to snag one.

If both fall through I bet we reconsider not paying the 18mil. Oats is worth that but not at the expense of getting Hurley.

I'll actually give mitch credit here. If his 1a and 1b are drew/Hurley after he was told Oats buyout couldn't be negotiated, he played it right. Play them against each other and try to snag one.

If both fall through I bet we reconsider not paying the 18mil. Oats is worth that but not at the expense of getting Hurley.
His 1A was nobody else’s 1A. His boy has got him scrambling now. He can snag a coach with $$$$$. That’s all we need. A dude in it for the $. Cal will be telling every coach in America, that calls for advice, to pass on dealing with Mitch.

How much did we get for Cal in a buyout? Mitch is a terrible negotiator. All we got was a coach bad mouthing our AD. Cal loves us, the program, the governor and the players. Just not Mitch.

I don’t blame him. They are very similar people.

Mitch was just on TV. With a guy who had been dealing with schools for 2 months. Trying to get another job. They’re both the problem.

Buddy I’ll say this, if this falls apart and we get to Beard I’ll leave this thread alone forever and hope to see you guys at MY distillery!

Get ready for this option’s percentage to increase over the course of today!

Trilly doesn’t think Beard is an option but says Pearl, Miller and Pope may be in that next tier.

He also mentioned he knows Donovan is interested but not sure how interested we are in him.

Also, said Drew called another SEC coach about the job and he genuinely asked them if his kids could go to school safely after a loss.

Mitch is going to kill this program before he retires. It's his goal it seems.
^ Let's take a break on the rapid fire posts. If you feel compelled to post everything that pops into your head, take it to Rafters.

I don't need whoever you are clogging this shit up -- especially now.

Last edited:
His 1A was nobody else’s 1A. His boy has got him scrambling now. He can snag a coach with $$$$$. That’s all we need. A dude in it for the $. Cal will be telling every coach in America, that calls for advice, to pass on dealing with Mitch.

How much did we get for Cal in a buyout? Mitch is a terrible negotiator. All we got was a coach bad mouthing our AD. Cal loves us, the program, the governor and the players. Just not Mitch.

I don’t blame him. They are very similar people.

Mitch was just on TV. With a guy who had been dealing with schools for 2 months. Trying to get another job. They’re both the problem.

Wasn’t that just a Mitch/Cal issue? It seems like most every other coach at least respects Mitch if not all out likes the guy. If Cal is bad mouthing the program in any form or fashion he can just STFU. It’s not Mitch’s fault that the last 7 years happened.

I’m in the camp that if Donovan seriously wants the job, and we have 💯 assurance of it, then we wait on him. Next year may be bad but it could possibly be like the 89’ team was and they were a shit load of fun to watch. We all know what happened after that. That is of of course if Hurley turns us down, I guess.

Reactions: krazykats
I don’t have a single issue w Mitch (yet). What has he botched thus far? If you read between the lines, it seems like Oats has some family issues that would make taking a new job 6 hours away difficult.

Gotta take Drew’s reasoning at face value. He’s got 3 kids who’ve only known Waco. He sent Maude to visit trinity christian academy yesterday and she felt it wasn’t a good fit for Rod and Todd, so they’re staying.

If he whiffs on Hurley and Donovan I will change my tune, but at this point (day 3 technically) I have no reason to believe he isn’t doing all he should or could.

I'm not saying mitch was right to make Drew his priority after the Oats call but I can tell you that I think it's logical to go all out for Hurley before spending 18 million on Oats, and I want Oats real bad.

We still have a lot of great options left.

I also have to think that if his relationship with Mitch was one of the primary reasons Drew would have considered leaving for Kentucky, and Mitch is bound to retire in the next couple of years, Drew would have seen that as a red flag.

Reactions: jayroon
I want Billy, he would crush, AND Mitch isn't the man of the hour, BUT you can obviously understand his trepidation with Donovan. I mean, he turned us down once, then took the job and got cold feet the second time.
Also, he’s not super respected in the NBA circles for his Xs and Os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT