ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had held out hope all day that the reports that Mitch didn't want to fire Cal were untrue. In my mind, he had been champing at the bit to finally lay the boom on Cal after Cal has treated him like the nerd stuffed in the locker for his entire existence here. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

College sports are cyclical. Feel like the last few years was the Tubby Death Spiral stage. Feel like the upcoming years are the Hobodrunk era revisited. Maybe we can look forward to a new coach in a couple of seasons.
Cal is speedrunning Great —> Good —> Drunk by himself so the next coach is actually “great” again. Edit: dammit Rudd

Last edited:
Only problem is that that goof is dreaming about winning 3 to 0 and averaging 2.7 yards a play.

Sick of his shit too.
They practically had the same seasons. Lots of talent. Wildly underperformed. Never got better as the season moved on. No conference ot post season success.

Two of the longest tenured and highest paid coaches in the country and barely get mediocrity. Fun ain't it

Chumps, from an old, the ‘78 team didn’t have the pressure you would think. There wasn’t as much coverage or all the technology. Not to mention portals, transfers or 1 and done. Just a completely different game and time.

Milque is covering his ass from the embarrassment of all the previous bad hires. Sadly, he’s not only causing an uprising, he’s letting Cal drag him to the bottom. Basically throwing the fans under the bus with no regard or regret. In the end both will get run but not before it gets real ugly. Never underestimate the power of the BBN!

Highly recommend taking your frustrations out on a nice day in nature fishing. Easy and rewarding way to clear your head and ease your soul. Plus you might catch dinner!

Gawd his smarmy twitter photo just adds to the infuriation

If he were serious about it he would have laid out exactly what was discussed and what was relayed to Cal as far as expectations. He also should have addressed the fans frustrations, said that the last few years have been unacceptable and that he takes the ultimate responsibility as far making sure that things are going to be turned around.

That was about as much of a bullshit, vanilla statement that he could have made.

Where are the major players behind the scenes? Always felt like there was this secret society of folks who really pulled the strings back in the day.

My unfortunate realization is that Cal is the alpha. He’s become bigger than the program and there is no one there to challenge him. Sobering.

In my memory, there wasn’t a lot of any negative pressure on the 96 team. We were all riding high, excited for what Coach Pitino had already accomplished turning things around, and confident that we could win. We were UK and we were back.

There were nerves, of course, but in those days I never had that feeling of dread heading into a game,

Also, it seems obvious to say things were different then as far as access to information, but it was more different than many can imagine. Most everyone here has had the internet and all that provides for almost all, if not all of their lives; instant information in real time.

We had Cat’s Pause once a week, the coaches’ radio shows, an occasional SI or other sports publication article, and the newspaper. Any pressure that could have been felt was nothing compared to the way things are now.

Last edited:
There’s another scenario that hasn’t been brought up which is exactly what I’d do after the announcement today.

Cal is paid by the big boosters not the university. They would have to pay the buyout anyway and since this is a big FU to them it’s an easy call. Just hire another coach, let Cal just have to sit and watch while drawing his monthly checks.
Milque couldn’t do a thing to change it without losing his job. It puts them both in the awkward, embarrassing position their egos couldn’t handle.

Problem solved while giving the FU back. 😤

But that’s just how I would handle it. 😎

Revenge is a dish best served cold!

- Pitino absolutely had some pressure after “failing” with Mash in 93, losing to Marquette in 94 the game before a Duke rematch, and UNC in 95. It was absolutely thought does this guy have it.

Then to start 96 we knew we had a squad but wasn’t confident Pitino would get it done and we lost really early to Cal and UMass. Of course the rest is history from there so that all easily forgotten.

- Mitch has failed? Define fail because you really have to reach to call his tenure anything but a success. Good lord the negativity is overcoming some of you in embarrassing fashion.

- You can say everything negative about Mitch that you want but don’t forget he wasn’t the one who hired Cal and he certainly isn’t the one that wanted this “lifetime contract”.

Thats the truth.

- Our athletic dept is one of the top 15 in revenue so why shouldn’t we pay like that?

- Pitino absolutely had some pressure after “failing” with Mash in 93, losing to Marquette in 94 the game before a Duke rematch, and UNC in 95. It was absolutely thought does this guy have it.

Then to start 96 we knew we had a squad but wasn’t confident Pitino would get it done and we lost really early to Cal and UMass. Of course the rest is history from there so that all easily forgotten.

- Mitch has failed? Define fail because you really have to reach to call his tenure anything but a success. Good lord the negativity is overcoming some of you in embarrassing fashion.

- You can say everything negative about Mitch that you want but don’t forget he wasn’t the one who hired Cal and he certainly isn’t the one that wanted this “lifetime contract”.

Thats the truth.

- Our athletic dept is one of the top 15 in revenue so why shouldn’t we pay like that?

- Pitino wasn't in year 36 of coaching and absolutely had a fire to win that Cal clearly no longer has. He was also still working on a program that he had to bring back from the brink. Not even remotely the same situation.

- Mitch pays like we have Saban and Bill Self walking our sidelines but instead we get 7-6 in football and 10 losses in basketball with a first weekend exit annually. He hired Joker, he hired BCG and, as you said, he was strong armed to hire the only guy who could take our program to the levels the old Cal could. His baseball hires have been middling. The only glimmer of hope I have is that he told Cal they can both leave after this year and let someone else deal with it. I'd define paying top 10 money for your two biggest sports and getting marginal results poor performance, if not outright failure.

- Our athletic department brings in that revenue in large part because of our conference alignment and a (waning) fan base that is hungry for success in both programs. We continue to piss down our leg in football/basketball and the fanbase will dry up until there is change.

I get it's glass half full over there, and I appreciate that, but we are very seriously in a tenuous situation with both our AD and flagship athletic programs. That's no good.

Thats the truth.

Are you high on drugs right now?

For all the good things Mitch has done, like Cal has already done to his, he is going to burn down a good portion of his legacy with these obscene contracts for marginal results including the total failure of the university’s flagship program and having a top 10 paid football coach who wants out because he knows he is going to get his head handed to him these next few seasons in the new SEC.

Chumps, from an old, the ‘78 team didn’t have the pressure you would think.

They most certainly did, especially after the 75 loss and the fact they hadn't won a title in 20 years. They were ranked #1 essentially all year and went into the tourney with huge expectations. You didn't need social media/internet to amplify this, as people actually talked in person, and local newspapers were huge, especially w/ the likes of DG Fitzmaurice holding no punches w/ his columns (unlike the sugar coating you see today from the Cats beat writers who are afraid to lose their press pass)

It wasn't real time, but the next day's events at the bars and water coolers were all UK bball talk. Everyone listened to Cawood, even on a national level, and when Joe B. pulled starters at halftime in game 1 against FSU when they were losing, that was one of the most ballsiest moves ever for a dominant team. Had that backfired, he wouldn't have had to wait to be ran off a few years later.

BEKKctE.jpeg

- Pitino wasn't in year 36 of coaching and absolutely had a fire to win that Cal clearly no longer has. He was also still working on a program that he had to bring back from the brink. Not even remotely the same situation.

I agree with you that it’s not close to the same, but I read Terrie’s post as there was none and there was it was just can he win it all vs can he win 1 game in either tourney.

There is always pressure on the coach of the University of Kentucky basketball program. Fans have high expectations. Always.

In my opinion it wasn’t the same though. There was so much more optimism and joy .Everyone I knew loved Rick Pitino and though it is always possible we wouldn’t go all the way, it seemed way more possible than not. It seems like we were #1 in the polls a majority of the time.

Maybe I don’t remember correctly. I was a mother of 3 young children with multiple activities and those days are kind of a blur, lol. 🤪

With Pitino there was never any doubt he’d gnaw his own arm off, if necessary, to get a win. That kind of drive is sorely missing.

Speaking of Rick I watched the UCONN vs St. John’s’ Big East tourney game. Fox would have a camera in the huddles during tv timeouts and when they returned from commercial would play one of the huddles. One commercial it was Hurley explaining to his team how to exploit the opposition. Next one was Rick pointing out how they were getting burned and how to counter it.

These men were calm, confident and teaching basketball in real time. We won’t be seeing any of that for a while.

* With a trip to Keeneland quickly upcoming, I'm wondering whether it's best to visit a haberdasher or a clothier in order to get properly styled and fitted?

Probably go haberdasher.

* 5 days. That's how long it took for Cal to travel home, get back into the office, have a meeting with his boss, then just casually mention everything is great and we're all looking forward to next year.

There's absolutely no way in that short time period that any other option was seriously considered. I've always supported Mitch, and think he has done a damn fine job, but he's such a beta cuck.

* Man, Starbucks coffee is THE WORST. Just not even close. Why do they insist on burning it?

* Have we taken into account how much adding another white, sweet shooting, folk hero schoolboy legend next year is going to accelerate the pressure on our head coach? Although, he certainly handled the Reed Sheppard situation expertly, so I should give him the benefit of the doubt.

* Bastian Schweinsteiger (retired German footballer) -- has any athlete ever had a more badass name? You practically have to do the Hitler salute while saying it out loud.

* Did Puffy ever use lube while raping his fans? Just kind of feel like we deserve that much of a courtesy.

* Jordan Montgomery = 1 year, $25 million lol.

Who is having a worse year than Scott Boras?

* Turns out my colleague on Linkedin is not only a visionary, but ALSO a collaborator, connector, a change maker, AND a keynote speaker. It's really quite something.

* Coach Cal puts his pronouns in his Linkedin profile, I'm assuming?

(fyi: they aren't "preferred" pronouns, they're just "pronouns." adding "preferred" insinuates that one's gender is a preference or a selection, as opposed to something that's inherent to you)

* Opening Day tomorrow. Go Reds!

Last edited:

Former Syracuse basketball player arrested, accused of being 'drug mule' for rapper Diddy​

A former Syracuse basketball player was arrested on two felony charges at a Miami airport Monday. He is accused of working as rapper Sean "Diddy" Combs' alleged “drug mule.”

Brendan Paul, as he is listed on Syracuse's roster, was a walk-on guard for the program from 2018-'20. The 25-year-old was booked for cocaine and controlled substance possession and released Tuesday after posting a $2,500 bail, per Miami-Dade County court records accessed by Yahoo Sports.

The records spell Paul's first name as "Brandon" but the mug shot, published by TMZ, matches his roster photo. He was apprehended at Opa Locka Airport before he could board Diddy's private jet, according to the New York Post. In addition to the cocaine, "suspected marijuana edibles" were reportedly found in Paul's luggage.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-syr...ing-drug-mule-for-rapper-diddy-020255058.html

-Sean "puffy" Combs is a predator? Shocking.

-gonna have to read more... currently only do so on planes.

read these two on the last trip:

Our man in Havana- Graham Greene. Classic cold War spy stuff... Greene's only book in the genre, iirc. Well executed classic.

Sing Backwards and Weep- Mark Lanegan. Autobiography by Screaming Trees/ Mad Season/early qotsa contributor. Good friends w/ Cobain and Layne Staley et al. No sugar coating.

^*highly* recommend to music fans... or anyone who's had " a bit too much fun" for that matter. Really, really good.

-go reds.

* Man, Starbucks coffee is THE WORST. Just not even close. Why do they insist on burning it?
It's so you can still taste coffee through all the sugar.

* Opening Day tomorrow. Go Reds!
I've been one day off all week. Woke up this morning thinking it was Thursday and was pumped for the Reds. It lasted until I read your post. 😡

The concerning question for me is what's it gonna take? 9-16 during the covid year didn't do it, but I understand that was just a weird year for everyone. But that's been followed up with three seasons that include no SEC tournament Saturdays, no NCAA second weekends including losses to 14 and 15 seeds, loss to UNCW, record for consecutive home losses, contempt for the fans with basketball bennie talk, worst defense in program history, and so on. What is the line that Mitch is drawing? Loss to Oakland on the heels of four shit years was the perfect time to cut the cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT