ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

I worked in Austin for a couple years. Great Taquerias and all that stuff. That said, I worked with this really pretty gal with a constant bad attitude who was an MBA intern at UT who was born and raised in Mexico City. Any place I named as a Mexican restaurant in Austin she would roll her eyes and say, "but that's not real Mexican food". I said, "oh yeah, what is real Mexican food then" and she never really could say. So I'm calling BS on people who say tacos, nachos, burritos, chimichangas, Mexican Pizza and Gordita Crunches aren't authentic Mexican food.

Louisville used to have SantaFe Grill next to Churchill… complete dump where cops, businessmen, stable hands, UofL students would pack the place for lunch. Grease would ooze out of the ansul exhaust system.

Legit.

If you’re ever in Crestwood hit up the Taqueria Crestwood, nobody can argue they don’t serve “real” Mexican food. They’ll throw a slab of tongue, gut, whatever you ask for on a plate. I’ve stopped going to any other Mexican joints since I discovered this little jewel.

Santa Fe grill had terrible chips. Kroger Deli version of chips.

El Molcajete was pretty damn authentic.

Need some info from the reals:

- super secret Mexican grocery store lunch counter
and
- taco truck

Cuban guy who used to park his truck at Watterson Trail/Bardstown was a grade A asshole, but had amazing food.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT