ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Richie’s top 5 Fourth of July weekend songs…

1) America The Beautiful- Ray Charles

2) Pink Houses - John Cougar Mellencamp

3) American Girl - Tom Petty

4) America - Neil Diamond

5) Only in America - Brooks & Dunn

Pink Houses is somewhat cheesy and ultra middle America but that song just hits every time I hear it.

You may want to study up on Cougar's liberal anti-American dream meaning of that song.
the wire GIF

Reactions: Col. Angus
- I have pivoted from annoyance at rednecks shooting fireworks 17 days in a row around the 4th to leaning hard into schadenfreude. The whiniest posters in the local Facebook groups absolutely HATE IT, so now, I am all in on blowing things up every night to own the whiners.

"it's a work night!!!" "you should call the POLICE!" okay, dorks. Put in some earplugs and go to bed.

- I listen to zero country/country adjacent genres by myself, but it's my husband's genre of choice in the truck. Zach Bryan is in the Chris Stapleton/Tyler Childers category for me - I like a lot of the tunes, solid lyricism, no "proud to be 'merican" modern country cheese, no affected nasal twang. Fortunately husband has leaned hard into those type artists of late rather than the "look at my big TRUCK" garbage I will commandeer the stereo to avoid.

So tl;dr country isn't my thing and I like Zach Bryan. I don't know if that's an endorsement of his talents or not.

- Neither of us grew up with parents who played little kid music in the car, so we're going to attempt to pull that off with our kid. I do not expect total success but it's worth a shot to avoid road rage induced by "Wheels on the Bus" for the 75th time.

Friday 5 inspired by "daddy tapes" requested by little kid me in the car:

Bill Withers - Just the Two of Us ("two butts," in my early parlance)
Mike & the Mechanics - All I Need is a Miracle
Pat Metheny - Cathedral in a Suitcase (the "yabadabadaba" song)
Manhattan Transfer - Twilight Zone/Twilight Tone
Doobie Brothers - Long Train Runnin'

I'm indoctrinating my kid in utero with metal, so we'll see how that works out for me. 🥸

- Related to my Friday 5: I apparently never looked at the cover of the Bill Withers greatest hits cassette my dad had that I loved in childhood. My dumb suburban white ass thought Bill Withers was Caucasian until I was a senior in college.

A little liquid thc/cbd in a syringe for the dogs helps quite a bit with the boom booms for us. One we even give a half a tramadol to as well. We do have a basement we gather them in and turn that TV on. Does help but they don't like the booms. Luckily we don't endure more than a week of scattered fireworks around our parts.

Daughter turned 16 and got her permit. Whew.

Big day in the Cultural Center of Jefferson County yesterday. The European mind could not have comprehended what went down.
  • HUGE 4th of July parade with the golf cart brigade.
  • Moved over to the pools where the ladies enjoyed their High Noon and the men their Miller Lites.
  • Storm came in so I went home and watched the MLB package (Go Reds!).
  • Couldn't figure out what I wanted to eat, so I grilled up steak, chicken and sausage kabobs. On point!
  • Fireworks display at the amphitheater made Thunder Over Louisville jealous.
  • Porch boozing with friends late night to wrap up an epic Independence Day.
This is what John Cougar, PTI, Kamala Harris, and the Braves impotent offense want to take away from us!

Last edited:
The key is to fill one of the many available insulated thermoses full of screwdrivers, throw it in your daypack, get to the top of the mountain, and ?

Love a well put roster where Santiago Espinal gets to bat in the B9 with winning run on base.

Don’t even start that bs.

Jake Fraley went on emergency family leave today unexpectedly (his daughter has an undisclosed illness), TJ Friedl is still on the DL, and the only other lefty available was some no name they had to call up from Louisville just to fill a spot for a couple days.

They needed a lefty batter there and just simply don’t have one available and healthy.

Don’t even start that bs.

Jake Fraley went on emergency family leave today unexpectedly (his daughter has an undisclosed illness), TJ Friedl is still on the DL, and the only other lefty available was some no name they had to call up from Louisville just to fill a spot for a couple days.

They needed a lefty batter there and just simply don’t have one available and healthy.
She has leukemia. 😢

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT