ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

Any inside scuttlebutt on who this “big hire” could be?

Pope targets

image.png

“When I think about leadership, I think about guys that can hold teammates accountable. That’s not something that you see all the time right now. We live in a world that has less and less accountability and more and more whatever fits your fancy is right and OK and acceptable and on a team that doesn’t actually work well.” 😍😍

Refreshing hearing an actual well thought out response to a question rather than some lame catch phrase like “poops ice cream” or “brothers keeper”.

-we'll (Pope) will eventually land top 5-10 classes... because Kentucky.

^that said... without looking at class rankings I pretty sure ours have been awesome the last 5 years, and we've been very bad to meh. The days of landing recruits from such vaunted institutions as : IMG "academy" and some dumb**** rapper's happytime dreamfactoryschool... are thankfully drawing to a close. We have a serious person running the show now.

Usually, #33 ranked player coming here means that’s an add on to the class who comes in, doesn’t play a whole lot but shows promise, then transfers or declares unexpectedly for the draft.

Then that means you (and others) put wayyyyy too much stock in the # of stars beside a recruits name vs. how good a basketball player they actually are.

Kid has some Jason Williams in his game...

Has UK had a married player before? I think CJ Fredrick just got engaged.

For you baseball fans out there, Jackson Holliday, the 20-year old #1 prospect in all of baseball and Matt Holliday’s son, was called up to the majors a few days ago. He also is married. I’d say the likelihood of that lasting is lower than his current .053 batting average.

Reactions: NW50
-Now, I can get down with 21 year old Freshmen. Lol. Nice start. After that, add an occasional elite talent with most of our freshmen being either knockdown shooters OR developmental players.

-Just keeping cleaning house over there on Ave of Champs. Have to get it tiddy before building the foundation. Can't wait to get to know some of our players as they have the audacity to hang out in Lexington for more than 7 months.

-Mid-summer night out there last night. At the ballpark until 10:15p. Lol. On a Monday.

-Sitting across from Dr Boat during the Mark Pope hiring was maddening. I was nauseous and dizzy, literally, my face was actually hot. I've since come to my senses, but at the time I was pretty hot. He's over there happy as hell because they have the same last name. No relation, just same last name.

-Some reports out there Rory is getting 850M to join LIV. Probably needs to happen in order to just blow this sh*t up and get back to normal.

-Most popular basketball player in the universe will make $75.... thousand next year. Lol. When is this nonsense gonna stop?

There was a book circa 2010, The Cartel, by Taylor Branch. It explained the creation and the history of the NCAA.

The NCAA was formed at the behest of President Teddy Roosevelt, who had enough of Ivy League football players regularly being maimed and killed on the field, circa 1900s.

The 2A created the term "student-athlete" all the way back then, mainly to make clear that players were not university employees, and thus could not sue schools for workers comp for their injuries.

And that farce has held up for more than 100 years. Short book, fascinating, I highly recommend.
As a (plaintiff) workers’ comp attorney myself, I had never heard this and find it compelling, for obvious reasons. Thanks for sharing, will check out that book.

As a (plaintiff) workers’ comp attorney myself, I had never heard this and find it compelling, for obvious reasons. Thanks for sharing, will check out that book.
I recall that you're a lawyer, didn't know you did comp. Here's more info.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/12745226

-To me, the most fascinating thing was the origin of "student-athlete" and how the NCAA has spun that over the years to create this notion of purity in amateurism. All so they could keep the money for themselves.

-Also, the guy TR appointed, Walt Byers, was a cowboy type who aggressively expanded the NCAA beyond what was originally envisioned, and bullied some schools along the way (including UK, sadly).

-In the 1980s, UGA, Oklahoma and others sued the NCAA for the right to enter into their own football contracts with the networks. They won at the US Supreme Court, so the NCAA lost all that football revenue.

The NCAA was incredibly lucky that March Madness caught fire right then, or the NCAA would have been bankrupt by 1990. Ninety-some percent of the NCAA's revenue comes from March Madness.

Anyway, I'll stop now. Fascinating read though.

Last edited:
After years of Michael Porter, Adam Williams, Sheray Thomas, and Dakota Euton, Cal coming on board and saying “I recruit the best of the best” was music to my ears. He didn’t even say a damn thing about strategy other than the DDM which HE NEVER EVEN RAN. After 10 years of watching putrid slapdick coaching with literally half of the NBA all star team hearing Pope talk yesterday about philosophy, analytics, and team building was again music to my ears. After watching the extremes for the last 20 years as a UK fan I’m hoping like everything else the sweet spot is in the middle. Hope it pans out but right now Pope is saying all the right things.

-Fantastic weather here and in KY happy for all the people.

-I wish Reed would just say so I could unsaddle myself of all this POPE HOPE with him.

-People that get married before 22 (at LEAST) aren’t making the best decision obviously, your brain isn’t even done growing yet. Unless you plan on working in the factory in your hometown, having 5 kids and never leaving your county again besides a vacation every 4 years. 🤷‍♂️

-Speaking of marriage, have my first date today in probably 1,834 years. Conch chick(if you don’t know what that means, it can be a LOT of good and bad with people actually from KW) boat cappy, fisherwoman, always liked the tomboys to be honest. Happily a little nervous as we’re heading to eat boatloads of oysters.

-PSA: If you show up to any business, purchase/order/gather a bunch of items and then only have “tap” Apple Pay expecting every place to have that with no CC or cash, your a moran.

That’s not an opinion, just facts.

-Wanted to let @WayneDougan know that I’m coming back in July and have 4 full days lined up with my tattoo artist for a Jesus leg sleeve, just as God intended. Any suggestions boss? 😆

-UNC buddy was busting balls about us losing all commits and players and I pulled a Jocko and said “Good.”

I’m fine with cleaning house and starting all anew. 😃

We sign a few more Dalton's and maybe an assistant coach with a penchant for Jason Aldean and you just might start seeing UK gear in the background of KKKole's F-150 selfies.

-Wanted to let @WayneDougan know that I’m coming back in July and have 4 full days lined up with my tattoo artist for a Jesus leg sleeve, just as God intended. Any suggestions boss? 😆
I recommend the classics, Rogue. I hear the 2024 Spring San Quentin line includes some innovative, yet traditional ideas, but there apparently are some up and comers in Chino who truly pay tribute to the OG’s of Mexican prison gang tattoo sleeve artistry. I’m sure you can’t go wrong!

• Love
Reactions: roguemocha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT