ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO

I don’t know the solution, but there has to be some tweaks/limits. Maybe 1 portal, then you’re sitting out a year with possibly a coaching change exception built in? Dunno, but it can’t just continue forever as-is - it’s pretty pathetic imo

-Underrated part of yesterday & all this is dude's adorable family.

Wifey being 🔥 aside, it was awesome watching them dancing around the whole time, especially pregame. Fun lovable & humble little fam who’s gonna feel HOME with the quickness.

Can't imagine the bewilderment, pride & emotions they were feeling taking that in, and have no clue how they held it together so well & better than 95% of the fans. Assume they're in some kind of dream, still.

But They just seem so regular like us. Clearly an extension of Coach. Ellen was a doll, but overall...

Just one more polar opposite ingredient; most of them small/irrelevant on their own, but taken as a whole, just wild how different everything feels, instantly.

Excited to hear a Coach talk genuinely to/with us tonight with Tom. Winning is always #1, but it’s the little things that have everyone feeling so happy. 💯

Last edited:
They're already placing rules on NIL packages and it's continuing to escalate. Things like finishing the spring semester and bowl games. I would assume the NIL packages will grow to multi-year status. Smart business people aren't going to continue throwing money at kids to have them bounce after one year. It's already correcting itself. I don't know how you can go back to enforcing a sit out year with coaches not having a similar clause.

I don’t know the solution, but there has to be some tweaks/limits. Maybe 1 portal, then you’re sitting out a year with possibly a coaching change exception built in? Dunno, but it can’t just continue forever as-is - it’s pretty pathetic imo
This seems like the best logical approach. Essentially give the student-athlete one free hall pass and if they want out again, the SA must sit one year and that's that. Coaching changes can waive the year sit out.

If you're 24, on your 3rd or 4th school, there's probably a name for that. I think we call them "non-traditional students." We had a dude in our fraternity that was like that. Came to us as a legacy from somewhere in Ohio probably. Dude was 24, pledged his freshman year at Ohio State(????), flunked out, did a couple years in the Middle East, came back to college, transferred in, and lived his best life. Uncle Bruce was a real one.

This seems like the best logical approach. Essentially give the student-athlete one free hall pass and if they want out again, the SA must sit one year and that's that. Coaching changes can waive the year sit out.
The courts shut that down under anti-trust reasons just now, so that's a non-starter.

• Sad
Reactions: Strokin_Bandit
Do the schools not want to be characterized as employers because of Title IX (and that's why people keep begging Congress to step in)? I thought it was something like that.

Contracting directly with players as if they were employees (because they are) should be a no brainer.

Reactions: 80 Proof
Not even 3 weeks ago we had Cal sitting in his house for a press conference before the NCAA tournament. A reporter asked him if he feels pressure to do well and he laughed and said what’s the worst that happen? After being told it would be being fired he made a funny face, said who cares, and then off camera whispered to his wife “if they fire me I can buy an island”. He then said people that put pressure on the team to win didn’t care about the players and were essentially unreasonable and bad people.

I mean that actually happened, that was real. As the dust slowly settles I’m just slowly realizing he was a leech sucking us dry. I don’t know WTF happened to him but he lost his way at Kentucky. Just kind of thinking about how ridiculous that press conference was really is insane. It almost sounds made up. How is that fun for us as fans, for anyone really? Like being in a dead marriage until the kids graduate HS. It really is a totally free feeling now. Pretty silly I care about UK bball this much, but I can’t help it. Just incredibly excited for the coming year.

Seems like the story about Cal telling Perry to go somewhere else bc he wouldn't play here is true. Perry said he wanted to force Cal to play him. That's the kind of f'n attitude we need.

Everyone knows how much I loved Cal, but that really pisses me off. I'm glad Perry is Pope's first player. Is there a better kid to restart the Kentucky Renaissance?

The Shaedon Sharpe highlight video never fails to make me 😂 The randon footage of Cal trying to ride the hoverboard combined with the missed dunk and 3 in warmups by Sharpe is just chefs kiss. The press conference yesterday was indeed awesome but after all the shots Pope took at Cal, I would have *really* enjoyed a swipe at Sharpe as well. Guess the "uniforms don't clothe you" portion was close enough I suppose.

Maybe it didn't need to be brought up yesterday but I would like to hear what Pope (coach, not doctor) thinks of the facilities, particularly the practice facility. I just hope the leaky roof can get fixed and doesn't cause another first round exit.

Not even 3 weeks ago we had Cal sitting in his house for a press conference before the NCAA tournament. A reporter asked him if he feels pressure to do well and he laughed and said what’s the worst that happen? After being told it would be being fired he made a funny face, said who cares, and then off camera whispered to his wife “if they fire me I can buy an island”. He then said people that put pressure on the team to win didn’t care about the players and were essentially unreasonable and bad people.

I mean that actually happened, that was real. As the dust slowly settles I’m just slowly realizing he was a leech sucking us dry. I don’t know WTF happened to him but he lost his way at Kentucky. Just kind of thinking about how ridiculous that press conference was really is insane. It almost sounds made up. How is that fun for us as fans, for anyone really? Like being in a dead marriage until the kids graduate HS. It really is a totally free feeling now. Pretty silly I care about UK bball this much, but I can’t help it. Just incredibly excited for the coming year.
If that's true, WTF!?!? I always kinda felt that 2015 broke him. His response to that was not to accept failure, learn lessons, be better prepared next time. Instead he blamed, dodged responsibility and changed the mission away from winning games and chasing down UCLA and it got worse as time went on.

He started this "I'm here for a higher calling". He developed this.weird, alternate reality of Jesus Calipari. He got into the Hall of Fame that year so the pontificating got even worse and his definition of success became his largely imaginary idea that he was creating generational wealth. It was just all bullshit so he could escape the hard work and self examination at the parts of the job he was failing badly but we were stuck with his overpaid, over contracted, lazy ass.

They're already placing rules on NIL packages and it's continuing to escalate. Things like finishing the spring semester and bowl games. I would assume the NIL packages will grow to multi-year status. Smart business people aren't going to continue throwing money at kids to have them bounce after one year. It's already correcting itself. I don't know how you can go back to enforcing a sit out year with coaches not having a similar clause.
We should start GYERO NIL Agency

I’m not gonna defend Cal but I think a combination of 2015 and then Terrence Edwards made him adjust his priorities to the detriment of winning games here being his top priority.

Do the schools not want to be characterized as employers because of Title IX (and that's why people keep begging Congress to step in)? I thought it was something like that.

Contracting directly with players as if they were employees (because they are) should be a no brainer.
If they’re employees they’re entitled to Obamacare, PTO, overtime wages, FMLA leave, etc. And they can bring claims for discrimination, retaliation, harassment, etc. It would be a disaster.

Holy chit this dude is a mad genius. Hearing how we teaches communication and leadership floored me. Listen to the show if you can!

Also said “the Sheppard family is praying for Gods guidance, and I’m praying for him to guide Reed back to UK!” Paraphrased

I loved hearing him say that Kentucky fans knew the game better than any fans in the country. He said "Normally if I'm getting criticized by the fans, they're right." That's a far cry from "Everyone's favorite player, Basketball Bennies, etc."

Imagine Cal ever saying the fans were right about anything.

- 2015 broke Cal. Completely. That stupid stall ball broke the fans. I thought 2015 might awaken some version of Cal that would relentlessly hunt undefeated. Seemed to do the opposite.
- I was sick of the calipari kids. Pope’s kids seem more like Kentucky kids.
- I’ve turned around on this. I’m more excited than I’ve been in forever.
- I work with 5 other Kentucky grads and only one isn’t over the moon now. The Arkansas grad boss still thinks we’re stupid. Whatever. They haven’t been relevant since Scottie Thurman was hitting J’s there and Petrino was banging interns or whatever.
- Been working a startup in a plant and I’m over climbing 25 foot ladders all day and trying not to blow crap up.
- nothing better than watching your boys being wild as hell and just being boys. I think it’s time to take them to a game but I don’t think it will “click” yet.
- I’m glad Rick is back in the fold.

If they’re employees they’re entitled to Obamacare, PTO, overtime wages, FMLA leave, etc. And they can bring claims for discrimination, retaliation, harassment, etc. It would be a disaster.
There was a book circa 2010, The Cartel, by Taylor Branch. It explained the creation and the history of the NCAA.

The NCAA was formed at the behest of President Teddy Roosevelt, who had enough of Ivy League football players regularly being maimed and killed on the field, circa 1900s.

The 2A created the term "student-athlete" all the way back then, mainly to make clear that players were not university employees, and thus could not sue schools for workers comp for their injuries.

And that farce has held up for more than 100 years. Short book, fascinating, I highly recommend.

The Mark Pope train. Choo choo. All aboard the ghost wagon!

F**k Mondays. Had a shit day at work, so left early, drank two beers, did practice car pools, got home, medicated, grilled chicken thighs been marinating since yesterday morning, walked out in the grass and laid down wearing nothing but gym shorts and watched the oranges, purples and blues of the sunset and then the stars and Orion was dominant in the west but it was like 82 degrees and I was in gym shorts and that’s a rare sight holy shit I am cumming mark pope Reed Shepard

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT