ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
handsome-white-goat-8pf7d9rpv57m7pm5.gif
On another note, Cutler has been saying the past few days that Cal got some death threats.

Reactions: Col. Angus
Bob Knight HATED Drew’s guts. If that doesn’t say great things about the guy, I don’t know what does.
What was the story on that again? Drew was talking to one of his recruits and Knight threatened him or some other typical bs from that dead POS?

I'm all in on the guy. Have some concerns about this place overwhelming him but that could be said about almost anyone. Other than that, he's a solid in game coach who recruits (f'n Baylor!) at a high level, solid mix of transfers and doesn't act like a maniac on the sideline. Think he will absolutely crush the portal/recruiting here as he is way shadier than his "great guy" persona leads. I'm probably more in than I should be but oh well. Just stoked to have that asshat shipped off to Arkansas.

I never thought Cal changed from day one. The game has changed but he is still the same guy who substitutes erratically, freezes up in close out time and is fixated on super athletic high school kids with no jump shot. NIL, portal, covid rules with age, and modern basketball just exacerbated his flaws. His biggest problem has always been that he created a culture where every kid he brought in thought they were John Wall or Anthony Davis and was ready for the NBA immediately. After Towns, I'm not sure we have really had a guy who showed up NBA ready, despite almost every four and five star we brought in thinking they were joining the G-League ignite. I'm sure in 10 years we will hang a banner for him and remember the early 2010s, but in the interim... F that guy. This should have happened several years ago.

- Anyone heard from cricket? Thats a lot to go thru.

- Drew is the perfect hire if you want to be relevant Top 5-10 next season and obviously moving forward.

The one qualm I have is did he really figure something out with that group he had in 2021 that was led by heavy guard play and a 3 headed monster? Because that crushed and Baylor hasn’t been the same since Mitchell, Butler and Teague left.

He was close to rebuilding that last year with Walker, Nunn and Love so I believe that’s what he wants to have.

- Anyone think about how deep the SEC is in coaching? I don’t know how a team is supposed to lose less than 6 games in this conference when you are lined up against HOF level quality almost every game!

Drew, Oats, Pearl, Barnes, Jans, Beard, Golden, Cal and I think guys like Byington, McMahon and Parris are solid. Then we add RT and Poser next year which no conference is currently close to that deep.

- If story is true on Oats, I can’t imagine he is happy. It seemed coaches were willing to sign extensions when Louisville and Michigan were open, but when UK opened I’m sure they were all regretting taking that away from themselves.

- I'm an old, but coaching searches were way less fun back when Sutton and Pitino were hired. I mean, imagine depending on Rob Bromley to keep you updated.

- Have often thought of the "alternate universe Kentucky" where Lute Olsen takes the job before it went to Sutton, and PJ Carlesimo takes the job before it went to Pitino. Lute would have killed it....Carlesimo would have flopped.

- Have already made clear my thoughts on Hurley/Oats/Drew, but I will say this...Drew coaches with a note card in his hand. Hurley is often seen looking at notes/stats, as is Oats. I guess what I'm saying is, if it's one of those three, the sidelines will be an upgrade over a guy who just yells "GO" over and over.

- Pretty cool to take a break from COACHWATCH and check out Jackson Holliday's debut for the Orioles last night. So much amazing young talent coming up through the hitting ranks.

- Comedy Off Broadway has some killers coming over the next few months: Sam Morril, David Lucas, Josh Sneed, Aaron Weber.

- AND THAT'S WHAT'S GOIN' ON AT AUGUSTA

Guy I was sitting next to at my hotel this morning texted Jay Wright while we discussed the UK search. He laughed at the suggestion Jay would return to coaching. Said he made 4M a year doing tv and had a light schedule. No way he comes to UK

Maybe I’m drinking the copium but the nba buzz around Hurley concerns me. After the last several years in particular, the program desperately needs stability. I don’t love the idea of Hurley leaving in a season or two for the (garbage NBA team of choice). I wouldn’t blame him for taking the leap, just like I get why Pitino had to take the Celts job, but it would SUCK for UK basketball. That’s not a concern with Drew. That’s a big deal, especially for an AD who has to be contemplating his own retirement.

I really don’t get the people salty at the prospect of hiring Drew. I assume they don’t get what a big deal it is to win at friggin Baylor. That program had ZERO pedigree. They’re the academic stalwart of their conference. And they had a MURDER SCANDAL right before Drew was hired, I mean, just lol.

If Lute had taken the job then PJ/Rick don’t happen. Butterfly effect or something like that.
That's why I was ok with any hire as long as he's gone. To me, any hire was greater than Cal being here for 1+ more years. Literally, any hire. Mark Pope, Dawn Staley, Billy D, Strokin. Just get the next chapter started, whether it's a shitty drunk one requiring a quick change, the place holder, or a legend. Next year, when we would've rolled out 4 freshman and Omouri(sp?) only to get ROLLED by Duke. The toxicity would've been so great it really might have had a long lasting effect on the program. Similar to the Bobby Knight or Pitino shit.

The Hogs really saved us with that golden parachute.

Too each their own, but I'm just not there on waxing poetically about Cal's tenure. Yes, he helmed an epic run the first half and that was one hell of a ride. The aughts version of what it must have felt like for so many of our same age at the time of Pitino's nuclear run.

But the second half devolved into a circus act of players refusing to play, being giant gashes, "haven't seen him", bloviating about nothing and his propensity to play his recruits over those more deserving, all while giving a big 🖕to faithful.

And for the time being, we still don't have a coach and the failures of the past 4 years are still a festering wound. Drew taking the reigns will start suturing it in my mind, and in time, sure he can come back and do the 'Y' and spin tall tales of prior conquests. Right now, get bent, JVC.

- Nothing puts a snarky smile on my face more than seeing ribsandwhitebread revel in the Masters patrons being inconvenienced like he and his lovely bride were. Would be the same if my one trip to that coveted land was ruined by Mother Nature.

- As riveting as play-by-play air travel commentary is, can we pump the brakes and pace ourselves a bit?

Speaking of alternative universes, would Kentucky have been a lot better off with Tshiebwe this year?
We could have won the title. That dude just won ROY in the D League. We had 💩 stains at the 5.

When Cal reverted back to his inside ways. Oscar was someone who could score it or would pass to wide open GOOD shooters.

One player was the difference in Cal retiring here or Mitch retiring here.

Those two despise each other just like we always knew. Cal would have tried to parlay a second title into a Mitch vs. Cal thing.

Matt just dropped Frank Vogel was at least contacted MY KING, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Working on my avatar morphing Vogels face to the Baron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT