ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be legitimately curious to see how BBN responds to what is apparently being considered -- i.e., keeping Cal but with drastic changes in university oversight of staffing, messaging, etc -- if it coincides with things that we've been begging for.

What would happen, say, if Mitch and Cal sit at a dais smiling and yucking it up announcing a plan to transition to the next era of Camelot, it is announced Reed, DJ, and basically the whole gang are returning except Rob, and Cal just goes radio silent until Madness?

I mean other than Cal telling his ghostwriter to get started writing Pivot Point: A Transformational Guide To Responding To Failures And Turning Them Into Outrageous Success!

I have a 50 ton capts license 😇 I’m aware how bridges and boats work.

hqdefault.jpg

If Cal is back, I am not. I don't matter a lick to the university of Kentuckys men's basketball program, but I'm not alone in my thinking and can guarantee that when Duke puts its entire lower leg through Cals ass on national television, the holdovers will also join me.

Unless you're bringing in Jon Robic and Rod Strickland, picking up 3 elite shooters and literally only Rob is leaving, then next year will be no different.

He will scream his way to 9 losses (or more). He will insist we're almost there when Mcneese St. clips us in late November. He will lament our defensive woes/3 pt shooting when we lose back to back games to Miss. ST. and USCjr.

And all for what? So we can hate each other more than we already do? So he can berate a new blonde sideline reporter with marginal bolt ons? So he can bask in an unexpected victory over UNC as if that merits him stealing 9 million a year?

I want no more of this charade.

Exactly I’m coming from experience here. Mine was actually mechanical failure though.

Hydraulic pump failed on the steering mechanism and was immediately stuck in a full hard port turn.

Threw it in reverse but too late by the time I realized it really wasn’t going to turn even though I was spinning the wheel like Brad Calipari on the 1s and 2s with his Swedish DJ friend.

Fortunately it was just myself and the dog. Ol boy saw it coming and bailed out before impact, that was actually funny to see but the boat was not.

And of course it was my third trip out after buying it…

Anyone else have closer experience than that?

* Being a Riverboat Pilot down here is legit one of the most coveted jobs possible. They have very strict rules about getting hired, and it's completely based on nepotism. You can only hand down your seat to certain family members, so if you aren't part of the club you likely never will be.

link: Here's a newspaper article from 4 years ago where they were asking for a raise to get the average annual salary ~ $700,000/year. Of course, they have ridiculous benefits, pensions, very strict working hours, tons of vacation, etc. These dudes are basically royalty down here.

Kinda reminds me of rogue, actually.

* I remember part of our coping mechanism back in the Tubby years was to condescendingly refer to McDonald's All Americans as "Burger Boys." Overrated, not worth the headache, etc.

Kinda feel like we're back there now.

* The Faithful seems was overly confident about a huge portion of the team returning next season, and Cal has said as much. I'll be ecstatic if that happens, but pissed off at the same time. After 15 straight years of forcing great players to leave, now that your fatass is about to lose your job you turn on a dime and beg everyone to come back?

SCH.

* Panic moment --> your trash bin is overflowing when you hear the truck driving down the street, but realize you've missed them.

🤬😡

* I don't think the NIL is "real." Like the numbers being thrown out aren't very legitimate at all. I think fans are delusional over the idea that some baller alum is just dropping a million here, a million there in a teenagers Forcht bank account as part of the recruiting process. And when you do hear huge figures thrown out, there's at least some sort of catch to it.

* Kill Tony fans: how freaking good is Casey Rocket?

That dude is absolutely nuts, and so incredibly one-of-a-kind. Since Hans Kim sucks and isn't funny, he's a huge upgrade as the show opener.

* New Dave Attell special dropping soon on Netflix, and he just did a 2:30 interview with Joe Rogan. This guy is a gd legend.

* I'd love to be a fly on the wall during that meeting today. Mitch talking tough, laying down demands, pushing his weight around, putting the fear of god into Cal, being a hardass. Watch out now!

I tend to slightly disagree with Oats on the analytics around not sitting your best player if he gets two fouls. Unlike baseball, I do think basketball is a game of momentum. There are ebbs and flows of the intensity of the game, and both teams typically seem to really buckle down on D towards the end meaning there is a premium for having your best players on the floor at that time.

That said, to me this means if your best player gets 2 quick fouls you sit him a little more than you normally would. Not bench him for the rest of the half.

9-16 didn’t change anything.
Losing to St. Peter’s didn’t change anything.
Being beat by Vandy in the 1st round of SEC.
Being beat by KSU didn’t either.

But a stern talking to by Mitch will do the trick? Lol, false.

He’s a terrible coach. Any coach that his teams best performance was reached after wiping the entire scouting report off the board and the coach saying “go play hard”. Isn’t a coach we or anybody above the junior high level needs.

Bengals have been doing fairly well in FA, imo. Still need to nail their first 3-4 draft picks this year. I’d go OT in the first round even if the guy doesn’t start from the get go- need to build depth and have your starter for the future at RT. After that I think obviously IDL, CB, and WR and draft BPA at those spots in rounds 2-3. Would like to get another veteran CB added too.

9-16 didn’t change anything.
Losing to St. Peter’s didn’t change anything.
Being beat by Vandy in the 1st round of SEC.
Being beat by KSU didn’t either.

But a stern talking to by Mitch will do the trick? Lol, false.

He’s a terrible coach. Any coach that his teams best performance was reached after wiping the entire scouting report off the board and the coach saying “go play hard”. Isn’t a coach we or anybody above the junior high level needs.
Boom. This could not be any more clearly stated. It's a f*cking charade, has been for years.

It's probably just scuttlebutt, but I've heard from multiple sources--including one source literally inside the body of Mitch ala Being John Malkovich--that he's planning on drawing a hard line today.

No more of this staying up after 10 p.m. nonsense. And Cal will need to have a warm glass of 2% milk every night after tucking himself in at 9:30 AT THE LATEST! He's also going to encourage Cal to take 4-5 power naps a day. Mitch gets around 12 hours of total sleep a day and it does wonders for his productivity. Like Mitch's hero Winnie the Pooh always says, "a nap is always a good idea."

Hopefully Cal shapes up or after next season he'll really feel the pain!!!

It's probably just scuttlebutt, but I've heard from multiple sources--including one source literally inside the body of Mitch ala Being John Malkovich--that he's planning on drawing a hard line today.

No more of this staying up after 10 p.m. nonsense. And Cal will need to have a warm glass of 2% milk every night after tucking himself in at 9:30 AT THE LATEST! He's also going to encourage Cal to take 4-5 power naps a day. Mitch gets around 12 hours of total sleep a day and it does wonders for his productivity. Like Mitch's hero Winnie the Pooh always says, "a nap is always a good idea."

Hopefully Cal shapes up or after next season he'll really feel the pain!!!
I expect you spent a lot of time on this post. And I want you to know, with all due respect and in all sincerity, it sucks. A lot.

What exactly could Cal change from an administrative or personnel perspective that could counter the fundamental fact that he is washed AF?

They could quickly go through player meetings and gather who is coming back and not push players out.

Despite Wagner being somewhat similar to Boogie Fland and Billy Richmond being comparable to Edwards if those two wanted to come back I’d gladly have them over the FR.

Sheppard is obviously a key component to next season, but Adou Burks and Z IMO are every bit as important.

After that there is nothing he can do until games start next season and we can see lineups that are our best chance to win and not playing favorites such as Cyril over a returning Z until proven it should be. Thats just an example of roster issues I can see that will happen.

Other than that honestly nothing Cal can do should make anyone that doesn’t want him here anymore change that perspective.

IMO, him getting this extra year is 100% about the coaching pool out there that is available to us. I’d like to think Drew, Wright and Donovan said no and Oats/Beard just signed extensions 2 weeks ago.

Unlike the fan base Mitch isn’t fine just hiring anyone vs giving Cal another year knowing next season’s coaching pool is completely different.

We are a much better job than UL but look at their options as a top 10 program. It’s not pretty.

Reactions: august-west
- Schertz is a poor man's Nate Oats. From a pure basketball standpoint, his team was my favorite to watch this year. I would steal some of their action and bring it into practice.

They have a great modern, 5-out action with a "center" who can stretch the floor and pass. He would need to get used to being at a major program and all the extras that come with it, but from a pure basketball knowledge standpoint, UL could do much worse than this guy.

- I sure hope they get little Richard.

- Seeing the Cousins and Rondo "debate" lets me know everything I need to know about Calipari and his messaging. Again, it's not worth getting worked up over. At this point it's "Calipari's brand" v. "UK's brand." It's a shame.

- What's everyone's plans for the solar eclipse?

- Matt Jones drawing attention to the kid from Harlan County with the long hair. That kid played his ass off all week last week. He was an integral part of their run with his effort and intensity. It would be a shame if he is only remembered as the kid from the mountains with long hair lol look at us legendary Eastern Kentucky folks lol.

Just saying I was a bigger fan of his style of play than his hair style.

I expect you spent a lot of time on this post. And I want you to know, with all due respect and in all sincerity, it sucks. A lot.

I went through several drafts. Took up my whole morning. To be fair, I'd give it a C+. Have to grade on a curve when dealing when dealing with the super angry no perspective butthurt sports fan.

Main point is: if Cal returns there won't be any real significant changes. He's too arrogant, too out of touch (I still think he really doesn't understand the level of abject toxicity for him at this point), and too dug into his ways to seriously change at this point. They'll shuffle some deck chairs around on the staff, he'll lie and try and say the right things to appease the fans and some dopes will buy into it, but a washed coach is a washed coach. We're in basketball purgatory until he's gone. Not worth getting emotionally invested in the program until he's out the door.

They could quickly go through player meetings and gather who is coming back and not push players out.

Despite Wagner being somewhat similar to Boogie Fland and Billy Richmond being comparable to Edwards if those two wanted to come back I’d gladly have them over the FR.

Sheppard is obviously a key component to next season, but Adou Burks and Z IMO are every bit as important.

After that there is nothing he can do until games start next season and we can see lineups that are our best chance to win and not playing favorites such as Cyril over a returning Z until proven it should be. Thats just an example of roster issues I can see that will happen.

Other than that honestly nothing Cal can do should make anyone that doesn’t want him here anymore change that perspective.

IMO, him getting this extra year is 100% about the coaching pool out there that is available to us. I’d like to think Drew, Wright and Donovan said no and Oats/Beard just signed extensions 2 weeks ago.

Unlike the fan base Mitch isn’t fine just hiring anyone vs giving Cal another year knowing next season’s coaching pool is completely different.

We are a much better job than UL but look at their options as a top 10 program. It’s not pretty.
Rack.

And using analytics. Understand who needs to play together and do it. Understand that sitting your player 17 minutes in the first half because they have two fouls is idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT