ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope CJ finds his shot, but right now he is a liability.
Not even close to as big as the 2 guys playing over him. He's still a great decoy. He also does the "other" stuff better than Livingston. He's in a rough stretch but he's the only one that I can realistically see making a move significant enough to push up up closer to the top tier. Wheeler is who he is and Livingston isn't going to see the Justice Winslow leap. Livingston played the entire 2nd half and I honestly think he touched the ball like 3 times within the flow of the offense. Rest he was just standing in the corner not even getting a look from the other 4.

If we can get CJ right, our top 6, even with this dumbass at the helm, is pretty good.

I think Oscar is really good at the things he’s good at … and really bad at the things he isn’t. His rebounding is absurd but I am not sure he has a great feel for the game beyond that. I honestly don’t know what to make of him.

Reactions: pretzel__logic
This team already has 11-12 losses if Oscar had gone pro,
Or...is Cal forced to adapt his offensive/defensive strategies, better utilize the wings, rely more on Collins/Onyenso as rim protectors (who would also be much better against P&R), and see how everyone develops and settles into their roles?

Cal sucks, I think we're all in agreement there. But he's had some success in the past having to adapt on the fly when he doesn't have all the pieces to play his preferred style (Harrellson/Knight in 2011 comes to mind).

Maybe we suck worse without him. Maybe no Oscar gives our guards/athletic bigs a little more of the load and they thrive. We'll likely never know, but I don't think its a lock we'd be demonstrably worse without him.

CJ needs to play without the splint on his hand. Pure shooter needs a pure release.

Bill Simmons used to (and maybe still does?) write about the Ewing Theory, where a team that over-relies upon its star player could actually be better if that player was hurt or moved on.

STRONG Ewing Theory vibes with Oscar...

Would LOVE to see Collins get some run at the 5 with our best lineup. Give us a vertical threat and possibly shotblocking. At least give it a look longet than 30 seconds.

Speaking of, at least 10x this year I’ll get excited about a lineup only for Spazzy Cal to sub after a trip down the floor.

The dude has lost his mind.

Or...is Cal forced to adapt his offensive/defensive strategies, better utilize the wings, rely more on Collins/Onyenso as rim protectors (who would also be much better against P&R), and see how everyone develops and settles into their roles?

Cal sucks, I think we're all in agreement there. But he's had some success in the past having to adapt on the fly when he doesn't have all the pieces to play his preferred style (Harrellson/Knight in 2011 comes to mind).

Maybe we suck worse without him. Maybe no Oscar gives our guards/athletic bigs a little more of the load and they thrive. We'll likely never know, but I don't think its a lock we'd be demonstrably worse without him.
Adapt? Adjust?

I guess there's a chance Bigfoot is real, so I guess there's a chance Calipari will do those things.

I wont hold my breath on seeing either.

Reactions: august-west
Not even close to as big as the 2 guys playing over him. He's still a great decoy. He also does the "other" stuff better than Livingston. He's in a rough stretch but he's the only one that I can realistically see making a move significant enough to push up up closer to the top tier. Wheeler is who he is and Livingston isn't going to see the Justice Winslow leap. Livingston played the entire 2nd half and I honestly think he touched the ball like 3 times within the flow of the offense. Rest he was just standing in the corner not even getting a look from the other 4.

If we can get CJ right, our top 6, even with this dumbass at the helm, is pretty good.

Winslow made THE LEAP when K moved him to the 4, btw.

Anth- your takes today are spot on. 👍

CJ needs to play without the splint on his hand. Pure shooter needs a pure release.

His stats before weren’t great either.

That said- keep playing him and keep shooting. As Anth mentioned, it’s our biggest upside.

It's a lock. We'd be effing TERRIBLE with Oscar removed from this team. We have 2 shooters. The best one, Cal didn't/doesn't start. The worse one is slumping worse than hurt-ass Grady did last year. The hero ball by Wheeler would be at an absurd level.

I get that he has huge holes in his game, but we are talking about 16 and 13 you simply don't replace with the rest of this bunch.

Oscar is a big problem with any screens but our coach refusing to switch, even briefly, to a defense that negates his weakness, is ridiculous. Fine, he's not the only big that struggles with pnr, hell most of them do. That's why teams run them non stop. Make them beat you doing anything other than throwing uncontested lobs all night.

Really anxious to see how Clark handles Bama winning the title.
I've really been thinking about this a lot. They are obviously good enough to- i'm just hoping some things fall off a bit.

I mean we are talking about the most arrogant fan base in college sports. Living with one of them certainly doesnt help my cause. I don't know what my reaction would be if they get to the final four and win it- if i'm being totally honest I noticed that Ski School was on Amazon Prime now so on that particular monday night I will likely just watch that instead.

- I’m sure I’ve mentioned this in here 500x because it’s happened at least 1,000x in his tenure but nothing makes me want to break my TV cawood-style like the Cats allowing a basket on an under-the-basket OOB play. I turn into a lunatic.

I’m not Zone Guy. In fact, I find these dudes who think a zone is an antidote to all defensive woes to be abject morons but for godsakes, Cal, go 2-3 on those plays.

Even his good teams couldn’t guard those plays. Kills us every game.

- Love Oats but still think he has some lessons to learn in the tournament. So I wouldn’t sweat that one too much.

The key to OOB is to throw a contested jump ball/lob to the deep corner to one of your bigs. No clue why more teams don't do this to us.

Love the play where everyone stands there and Toppin nonchalantly sticks his butt into his defender and leans the other way with his hand up. Gets us right into our offense, allowing Wheeler to just shred with 5 seconds on the shotclock.

We definitely lead the nation in points allowed off of BLOB!! plays. I'm also willing to bet we are second to none in knocking a rebound out of a teammate's hands.

Love the play where everyone stands there and Toppin nonchalantly sticks his butt into his defender and leans the other way with his hand up. Gets us right into our offense, allowing Wheeler to just shred with 5 seconds on the shotclock.
That was the Keion special last year. I think they called him for an offensive foul that cost us a game against somebody late last year.

Remember when Cal was doing that crap with heart rate monitors in practice back in 2012-13? I always thought it was kind of dumb, but I liked that we had a coach who was at least taking an interest in analytics. Yeah, maybe that one didn't have an impact, but it showed that we had a guy who was looking for things to improve us on the margin. My ask is where did that guy go? I have to believe running a more sophisticated OOB play is going to score you more points per possession than just lobbing it up to Toppin.

- Did everyone's grandparents have those white dinner plates with the green Spring Blossom design all around the edge? Google it. Epic meals on those things.

- Give me Adam Sandler's "They're All Gonna Laugh At You" as my go-to CD in the early-to-mid-90s. Honestly think we listened to that album start-to-finish a million times, and it was still funny every single time.

"At A Medium Pace" and "The Buffoon" for the win.

- Huge fan of coming into work and one of the older hens informs me that she has a big bowl of brown beans and a Ziplock bag full of cornbread in the break room fridge for me.

Leftover or not, I'm taking that combo all/air.

- Was going through a box full of UK Basketball Yearbooks. Man that 1990-91 cover might be the worst if not for Mash.

Jody Thompson
Carlos Toomer
Gimel Martinez

That thing is so super thin compared to the others yearbooks.

Favorite of all-time will always be the following year with Pelphrey, Farmer, Woods, and Feldhaus on the cover with caption, "CATS BACK IN THE NCAA CHASE!"

- Give me 20th Century Fox as the best movie studio opening theme. I will not argue if you want to say old-school Paramount.

- 28 days until March and ten weeks away from Keeneland.

I think it's time to accept CJ for what he is, which is a non shooting contributor.
We have played what, 22 games and his shot has fallen in maybe one or two games?
I don't know what changed from his time in Iowa to now, but a real shooter does not miss as many wide open shots as he does.

Focus on Reeves, give him more PT and ride with him. At least he has shown he can make outside shots or go to the rim and get buckets.

From time to time since I have been watching UK we always hear in preseason about somebody lighting up the court. Making shots from everywhere. Going to be a big contributor. Then the season starts and it never pans out. I am afraid CJ may be one of those practice shooters that never feels as confident in the actual trenches.
This clip sums CJ Frederick up for me.

s-l1600.jpg
Loved this one

Vescovi has developed the leg kickout to get a foul called and of course the refs fell for it. UT players can just be so utterly hatable.

Reactions: 80 Proof
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT