ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I like Kenny Payne but if he goes 2-29, he has to be let go, right?
A coach that needs far more talent than the opponent to win at all? Wonder where he learned that from? There are only two teams on the floor. You don’t catch anyone on an off night?

Calapari’s coaching tree is a disgrace and a direct indictment on him.

- I know it happens every year, but it sure seems like this season, there are more CBB teams who are highly-ranked in the opening weeks of the season but end up cratering: Kentucky, Indiana, UConn, Arkansas, Creighton, UNC, Baylor. Obviously a few of them have been dealing with injuries, but still...the instability has been crazy.

- Really enjoying these "All-Access" games on CBS Sports where the announcers say very little and the coaches are mic'ed up the entire time. Caught some of New Mexico/San Jose State the other night. Obviously, Richard Pitino and Tim Miles were toning it down for the broadcast, but it was still fascinating to hear how much/little they say during the course of game action, and their messages during timeouts and halftime.

- Jemarl Baker is still playing college basketball. I thought he'd be 28 by now.

- I think Kenny gets another year, unless there is off-the-court stuff we don't know about.

- On the diamond, I think Mingione gets this last shot to make the NCAA-T. If he can't, then boom. Outta here.

A coach that needs far more talent than the opponent to win at all? Wonder where he learned that from? There are only two teams on the floor. You don’t catch anyone on an off night?

Calapari’s coaching tree is a disgrace and a direct indictment on him.

I thought I was down on Cal but ole Brady has been bringing the heat on him lately.

I don't know shit about who Evan Miyakawa is or if he is legit or not but this is about as infuriating a tweet as I have ever read.

How did Cal go from the coach that would put heartrate monitors on his players during practice to track "effort" and hiring an analytics guy way before most people even considered that a necessity to running players in and out of games like it's the Western Front?

Reactions: pretzel__logic
I thought I was down on Cal but ole Brady has been bringing the heat on him lately.
We have middle aged dads that have a coaching resume of 6 year old t-ball and junior pro basketball that understand what we need to get the most out of what we got.

One of the many reasons I’ll never forgive Cal is for not bringing in another veteran PG after the St. Peter’s game. All it took was a 3-2 zone to confuse Wheeler and cost us the game. Cal’s just not mentally well and quite honestly a terrible floor coach.

So this Slap League thing went viral this week where the guy who won looked like the Toxic Avenger and while I was flipping through the channels last night I see a show on TBS with Dana White that is basically Ultimate Fighter with slapping. Call me a pussy but I don't think this is something we should be doing for entertainment on major cable networks, and I say that as someone who casually consumes UFC and Rough n Rowdy.

Reactions: Col. Angus
- I know it happens every year, but it sure seems like this season, there are more CBB teams who are highly-ranked in the opening weeks of the season but end up cratering: Kentucky, Indiana, UConn, Arkansas, Creighton, UNC, Baylor. Obviously a few of them have been dealing with injuries, but still...the instability has been crazy.

Really has. Realize most UK fans are trapped in our own misery, but it's really bad out there. Just a weird season.

Quad 1 Records:

UNC: 1-6
UK: 1-5
Indiana: 1-5
Creighton: 1-6
Arkansas: 1-4
Duke: 3-5
Uconn: 4-4

Only 10 teams in the Top 25 even have a winning Q1 record, and only 3 teams (Purdue, Kansas, Kansas St) by more than 2 games.

(NET rankings are pretty bunk, but the link has a nice setup to a detailed view of team records. Like them or not, they matter come Tourney time)

Last edited:
It wouldn't be ideal by any stretch, but it would certainly be right there with 90% of other "supposed to be good" teams.

Also, A&M is quietly 4-0 in conference, right behind Bama, and riding a current 7 game winning streak. Won their last 3 prior to last night vs common opponents (LSU, SC, Mizzou) by a combined 70 points.

Last edited:
Our resume is prob in solid shape had we just hung onto Michigan st game and not had the so Carolina debacle.
Probably be sitting in a 6-7 seed type spot, with lots of opportunities to rack up quality wins coming down the stretch.

I feel like we’ve done this “what a weird CBB year” thing a lot since ‘15. Off the top of my head, seems like there was a muddle of mediocrity in at least 16, 18, 19 (unless you were in on Zion and Duke), 20, and last year.

I love his stuff overall, but the analytics dudes are 100% in their "religion", and allow absolutely NO room for watching the games or actual observations. Just part of the deal w/ those guys, and can definitely be annoying at times.

Their opinion would be the same whether they watched every game 5x, or not a single second, ever. It's all numbers & data, and they don't budge.

At least he's up front about it -- he won't ever comment on stuff like confidence, chemistry, flow, or anything that's not tangible information from his computer system, and he says as much often.

Our resume is prob in solid shape had we just hung onto Michigan st game and not had the so Carolina debacle.

1- Who TF has ever, and I mean EVER typed out “so Carolina” to acknowledge that school?

Took a few retakes to even figure what the message was. Clean that up.

2- How many Quad 1 wins would be if all those teams weren’t knocked out of Quad 1? That’s what always gets me is the change if supposed to be good teams get beat, a lot, the whole dynamic changes.

Tennessee, Michigan, LSU and UGA are our key wins.

- Got to Woodford just in time for some Dbl Dbl Bourbon. It’s by far their tier 1 product and they only had about 20 2pack bags left by the time I got there.

One of the few bottles I really go out of my way to get anymore.

- Sonny’s for smoked jalapeño sausage

- I got a call that one of my clients is dragging me into 3 jobs in Puerto Rico. I did my very best to avoid and push this to ANYONE else. Nope, they “need” me. Basically need a big enough company on the hook if anything goes wrong.

Basically a blank check on these then!

- Finally getting traction on my wife’s stolen vehicle. Of course progressive is trying the cheaper route first despite 3 different places telling them there is no way buffing will work.

But it’s a start.

Last edited:
- Got to Woodford just in time for some Dbl Dbl Bourbon. It’s by far their tier 1 product and they only had about 20 2pack bags left by the time I got there.

Their oated bourbon from last summer is the best bourbon i've ever tasted. It was limited edition, but I would pay quite a bit to have some more. Would like to have tried the double double oaked, but no way i was going to get there in time. The double oaked is Mrs. CMD's favorite.

Reactions: krazykats
1- Who TF has ever, and I mean EVER typed out “so Carolina” to acknowledge that school?

Took a few retakes to even figure what the message was. Clean that up.

2- How many Quad 1 wins would be if all those teams weren’t knocked out of Quad 1? That’s what always gets me is the change if supposed to be good teams get beat, a lot, the whole dynamic changes.

Tennessee, Michigan, LSU and UGA are our key wins.

- Sonny’s for smoked jalapeño sausage

- I got a call that one of my clients is dragging me into 3 jobs in Puerto Rico. I did my very best to avoid and push this to ANYONE else. Nope, they “need” me. Basically need a big enough company on the hook if anything goes wrong.

Basically a blank check on these then!

- Finally getting traction on my wife’s stolen vehicle. Of course progressive is trying the cheaper route first despite 3 different places telling them there is no way buffing will work.

But it’s a start.
South Carolina

Reactions: krazykats
I love his stuff overall, but the analytics dudes are 100% in their "religion", and allow absolutely NO room for watching the games or actual observations. Just part of the deal w/ those guys, and can definitely be annoying at times.

Their opinion would be the same whether they watched every game 5x, or not a single second, ever. It's all numbers & data, and they don't budge.
Hoops Insight *loves* shooting down everyone else but offers very little as to what his 'ideal' condition would be.

As with all things, there's balance that needs to be considered when it comes to data analysis vs the standard eyeball test. Pure analytics dude have hit the glass ceiling.

I take their info and glady put it into account when formulating opinions/takes... but I agree that it is certainly not the end-all be-all.

Last edited:
Just looked online for Tyler Childers tickets when he comes to town in April. Reminded me of the time he played Hogs for the Cause here, along with the Turnpike Troubadours in 2018. The guy who owns that event shares my same enthusiasm for Americana/Red Dirt/Texas Country. His comment to about Childers....

"I'm lucky I signed him when I did. Last year he would have shown up and played for beer money. This year I got him at a good deal. If I tried to sign him again, I couldn't afford him."

So anyways. General admission tickets = $450 is the lowest on Stub Hub. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last time I saw him, pretty sure I paid about 90% less than that. So I'll just stick to watching YouTube videos, I guess. And congrats on all his success. Ugh.

Would be the shits if an injury, or at least the coach’s response to the injury, actually kick started rather than derailed a season.

We are surely due.

Reactions: Col. Angus
One of our top targets is a kid named Woo Spencer. That’s awesome.

Downside: he’s a lineman.

If that dude was a 5-10 receiver with 4.4 speed, he’d be a legend. Guaranteed.

Shorts:

- Gee Oscar thriving with a little more space? You don’t say.

- Not close to sold but hoping for an all-timer turnaround. Best I’ve seen:

1. 2014 - Remarkable going from the disappointment of the season and disgust of the South Carolina game to the greatest tournament run of my lifetime- or at least up there with 1993 and 1998.

2. 2003 - We all remember the second half of that Vanderbilt game.

3. 1998 - Silly when considering our record, more reasonable considering we were in the midst of our second greatest run of all-time, but that team turned sharp late in the year and never looked back.

- Daughter is getting tubes Feb 7. Was hoping we could get there but sure enough another double ear infection this week with her mom out of town for work. It’s been one! But things are looking up.

- All right, this Deion-Colorado shit is getting to be a little much. Laying it on a little thick.

- I feel a little less guilty dogcussing college players now they’re getting paid.

- That John Wall podcast episode was outstanding. Love that guy. Hits on a lot of UK stuff such as Darnell Dodson failing a drug test before the West Virginia game.

- Started the “Before Sunrise” trilogy last night. Love me some Ethan Hawke and that chick is a babe.

- Woodford Double Double has lost me. Too oaky.

Meh he’s got some good songs I like him. I’m sure there’s plenty on here not all will agree on but if you like something do it. Besides eating yourself into a wheelchair, don’t do that.

Shorts:

- Woodford Double Double has lost me. Too oaky.

I get it. Just opened mine while finishing ribs.

I think it’s still a fantastic pour. But it’s definitely oakier than it’s first 2 years releases!

Reactions: wcc31
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT