ADVERTISEMENT

GYERO ARCHIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Story's column about the loudest reactions in Rupp Arena since the capacity is going down this summer was nice and brought back good memories, but none of the people he polled said the right answer, which is when we got Kansas back in 1991 after they scored 150 on us the year before.

There has never been a Kentucky crowd that wanted blood like that one did.

Maybe. The 1983 UofL game which was the first regular season game in decades saw a pretty angry Rupp Arena as well. The seats were full an hour before the game started.

The media went to war to make UNC a 9 loss 1 seed last year or the year before that. They straight up mobilized themselves.

Each of our losses this year is either to a top 10 team, or by 2 points. Most Q1 wins in the entire country. Make it to the SECCG and we should be a 1 seed. But you won't hear much about that.

Top 5 loudest moments at Rupp....

1> the time 73 took his eldest son and sat in the lower arena
2> when 73 got upper arena seats at midcourt, front row
3> once when WS got sick and offered her extra ticket to 73, so he went with anth
4> the game a few years back where 73's neighbor gave him a ticket
5> when the Cats made a great second half rally to win, and 73 was there

I went to many of the games mentioned above, but I will always contend that the 98 Maryland game when we were coming off a title and Maryland was #2 was the loudest game I ever attended.

It was a good mix of night game (more pre-drinking), high-scoring (103-91), Heshimu showing off, and star-power (Steve Francis); Rupp was rocking.

* Friday 5...

Darken my door (Lucero)
Mama bake a cake (Drive-by Truckers)
Turtles all the way down (Sturgill Simpson)
Little Victories (Chris Knight)
Hippies and Cowboys (Cody Jinks)

* I seriously have no clue how my severance is calculated from my now former employer, or what I'm actually getting paid for, but every 2 weeks, they keep giving me way more money than I expect. Getting fired freaking rocks.

* I'm very enthusiastically anticipating the forthcoming statements from Will Wade. I can only assume he'll be working extra hard to contain his laughter as he casually explains the "great offer" he made was room, board, tuition, tutoring support thru an on-campus program, class scheduling assistance, career planning....:joy:

I mean, that's really his only "out," isn't it?

* I need to regroup, man. Balls to the wall Mardi Gras, take a weekend off, then fire up the SEC Tourney and St Patrick's Day festivities. Mercy. No rest for the wodie.

* Would love to see PJ dominate on Saturday. That little mini sky hook thing he's got is unstoppable, and should be our #1 priority, and knocking that down consistently really opens up his looks outside the arc. 22 & 10 would be just fine, thank you very much.

* Happy International Women's Day, hussies.

Reactions: roguemocha
There should be separate categories for loudest moments and loudest game for 40 minutes.

Loudest moments: my first thought before I read it was the end and OT of Kansas 1978 (imagine that), as Joe B said. Tied it at the buzzer after being down 6 with :30 left (no 3-pointer then) and won it in OT. Defending national champs still had some fight in them after losing 4 seniors. Although I'm sure it seemed louder to me as a 12 year old than it would as an adult.

01 vs UNC: Tayshaun's (5) 3s.

11 vs UNC: Henson blocks Henson.

Loudest entire games:

1980 LSU
1983 U of L (edited to add, good call).
1984 Houston
1990 LSU
2001 UNC
2003 Florida
2011 UNC

Really hard to distinguish without measurable criteria. (Although ESPNNOW! would say the 2017 Kansas game hit the highest decibel record ever, so it must be that one!!!!!!!).

1998 Maryland deserves mention. Rocking.

I went to many of the games mentioned above, but I will always contend that the 98 Maryland game when we were coming off a title and Maryland was #2 was the loudest game I ever attended.

It was a good mix of night game (more pre-drinking), high-scoring (103-91), Heshimu showing off, and star-power (Steve Francis); Rupp was rocking.

Boom. Exactly. Also right after finals I believe. Incredible evening.

-The loudest I ever heard Rupp was when Bon Jovi opened their show with "Lay Your Hands on Me" in 1988.

-I don't cheer against the Louisville teams, but I do cheer against all the Catholic schools, because of Chad.

-It's getting harder and harder to tell the difference between Stan Hardin's voice and Cameron Mills' voice.

-I'm glad I don't remember life before the NCAA Tournament Selection Show began in 1982. What a dark, dark time that must have been.

Top 5 loudest moments at Rupp....

1> the time 73 took his eldest son and sat in the lower arena
2> when 73 got upper arena seats at midcourt, front row
3> once when WS got sick and offered her extra ticket to 73, so he went with anth
4> the game a few years back where 73's neighbor gave him a ticket
5> when the Cats made a great second half rally to win, and 73 was there

6> Your house for the John Wall vs UNC game

There should be separate categories for loudest moments and loudest game for 40 minutes.

Loudest moments: my first thought before I read it was the end and OT of Kansas 1978 (imagine that), as Joe B said. Tied it at the buzzer after being down 6 with :30 left (no 3-pointer then) and won it in OT. Defending national champs still had some fight in them after losing 4 seniors. Although I'm sure it seemed louder to me as a 12 year old than it would as an adult.

Loudest entire games:

1980 LSU
1984 Houston
1990 LSU
2001 UNC
2003 Florida
2011 UNC

Really hard to distinguish without measurable criteria. (Although ESPNNOW! would say the 2017 Kansas game hit the highest decibel record ever, so it must be that one!!!!!!!).

I remember ‘78 UNLV being pretty loud as well. I think from a TV vantage, 80/90 LSU came across the loudest with ‘11 UNC coming in a close 2nd.

Reactions: Century Cat
73 with a straight face told people that PTI’s house was literally louder than Rupp that afternoon. We had a great crew and it was awesome but he honestly was believing this.

I’m his defense, my Aiwa shelf system had Monster cables, and could really bang it out. Add in the acoustics of my bonus room, and it was at least close.

Loudest entire games:

1980 LSU
1984 Houston
1990 LSU
2001 UNC
2003 Florida
2011 UNC

You left off UK/KU 1990 which is #1 for an entire game.

Reactions: GrandePdre
Friday 5s

Best TV Themes That Were Also Pop Chart Hits

1. Welcome Back - Welcome Back, Kotter
2. My Life - Bosum Buddies
3. Love and Marriage - Married..With Children
4. Little Help From My Friends - Wonder Years
5. Rock Around the Clock - Happy Days

Best Value Future Bets for Derby (Odds from Bovada)

1. Instagrand 16-1 (This weekend in the Gotham should tell me to stand pat or fold with him)
2. War of Will 20-1 (Derby points leader and easy winner of the Lecomte and Risen Star Derby Preps)
3. Bourbon War 20-1 (Finished second at Fountain of Youth last week, but would have won easily if at 1 1/4 miles. Watch out for this colt come May)
4. Roadster 25-1 (Underrated Baffert horse)
5. Knicks Go 66-1 (Won as huge underdog at Keeneland in Oct. Finished 2nd in Breeders' Juvenile. Keeps getting huge prices. Will play him underneath at Derby if he qualifies)

Things You Should Never Do

1. Visit the r/watchpeopledie site
2. Record in vertical mode on a smart phone
3. Play the DONT PASS/DONT COME line while everyone else is rooting for the shooter
4. Go to Vegas without experiencing Fremont Street or the Wynn Sports Book
5. Fart in your office as a woman will walk in within 10 seconds of doing so

My Most Played Sports Video Games

1. Baseball Stars (NES)
2. Super Tecmo Bowl III: Final Edition (SNES)
3. Baseball Simulator 1.000 (NES)
4. Coack K College Basketball (SEGA)
5. Ken Griffey, Jr. Baseball (SNES)

Random Songs in Playlist

1. Twisted Sister - The Kids Are Back
2. Peter Bjorn and John - Young Folks
3. Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better
4. Charlie Rich - Behind Close Doors
5. The Lords of the New Church - Mind Warp

* Wasn't feeling fish for lunch, went with a Sammy's Black Bean burger with Guac and pepper jack. :fire:

Hitting up the St. Columban fish fry for dinner.

* People are assholes. Spent a few bucks to take the girls to Disney's Frozen on Ice last night. Tons of people couldn't be bothered to get there on time so we missed the first 10 minutes because of idiots walking down the aisle trying to find their seats. Then many of the same people decided to leave early to beat traffic and blocked the view for most of the ending. Inconsiderate jerks.

Touching' Disney, man. They put on a helluva production. But how much money do they need? They take control of concessions from the venue and were charging $15 for touching cotton candy, ice balls and popcorn. $15 each.

Reactions: Kooky Kats
* Wasn't feeling fish for lunch, went with a Sammy's Black Bean burger with Guac and pepper jack. :fire:

Hitting up the St. Columban fish fry for dinner.

* People are assholes. Spent a few bucks to take the girls to Disney's Frozen on Ice last night. Tons of people couldn't be bothered to get there on time so we missed the first 10 minutes because of idiots walking down the aisle trying to find their seats. Then many of the same people decided to leave early to beat traffic and blocked the view for most of the ending. Inconsiderate jerks.

Touching' Disney, man. They put on a helluva production. But how much money do they need? They take control of concessions from the venue and were charging $15 for touching cotton candy, ice balls and popcorn. $15 each.

Nice of Disney to sell those flashing wands that every kid sees flashing around them. Plastic pieces of crap are a REASONABLE $35. Luckily they have them at every merchandise stand which are readily available every 10 feet inside the arena, concourse, on the way out, etc. Disney knows how to sell merchandise

Reactions: Wildcat Willy
Shattering the backboard in Coach’s K Basketball was incredible.

Five-year-old me used to turn fouls off, play UNC, press, and just sprint/push Jeff McGinnis to steal the ball. The baseline dunk with McCarty shattered the backboard almost every time.

- Shack in the Back Turkey ribs for lunch:fire:

- My manager that I can’t stand is leaving. I have got to the point of cussing him, twice, and put in my 2 weeks but was negotiated to stay. As far as work goes I’m the happiest man alive.

- It’s awesome that PTI’s former employer see’s it as beneficial to overpay him and not even bother working for them anymore. Just shows what kind of guy he really was.

- Fantasy baseball draft is Sunday. Sure I am a cubs fan, but I can’t wait to get Suarez and Puig and catch some live reds game this year.

- When did we stop playing UF on Sunday for the last game of the year? Feels odd.

- Friday 5

Young Bleed - Tha day they made me Boss
ESG - Soutside still Holding Remix
The Dove Shack - Summertime in the LBC
Don Willams - Tulsa Time
Aaron Lewis - Black (cover)

That's the kicker though, he wasn't doing business with Dawkins, he was just calling him up to complain about his guy not coming through [laughing]

-Rookie move by LSU. Just ignore the whole thing and in two years after everyone has forgotten about it the NCAA will make some excuse for why they don't have the balls to do anything about this. Then they'll put Asshole State on a two year postseason ban. Now they sense weakness and they'll make an example out of you.

-Imagine Krazy Kats wanting to leave and you're begging him to stay. What a world.

-Louisville peeps, get your ass to Boujie Biscuit. Worship.

-Cats by 19 this weekend. Good game to get right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT