Oct 1, 2016
NYD6 Bowls: Georgia, UT, LSU and Bama.

Citrus: Ole Miss.

Tampa: Kentucky.

Tax Slayer/Gator: Florida

Music City: USCe

Texas Bowl: Mizzou.

Las Vegas: Mississippi State.

No Bowls: A & M, Vandy, Arkansas and Auburn.

SEC does not fill multiple bowl slots.

Last edited:
Sec plays in Vegas instead of Charlotte this year.
Thanks. I have amended.

As we won’t be able to fill them all, better research would tell us who among the Gasparilla, Liberty, Las Vegas bowls pay out the most, and I did not do that research.

I recall the Texas Bowl has a bigger payout than the Gator, so I think we fill the Texas Bowl.

[At a glance, Gasparrilla Bowl 1.125 million, Las Vegas 2.7 million, and Liberty Bowl 4.7 million.]

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonRDunn
Sec plays in Vegas instead of Charlotte this year. If UK doesn't make a good bowl (I would count Gator, Citrus, or reliaquest as good; NY6 isn't happening), I'd like to see us get that one, since it's a rare chance to play PAC10.
Figure that will more than likely go to a west team.

NYD6 Bowls: Georgia, UT, LSU and Bama.

Citrus: Ole Miss.

Tampa: Kentucky.

Tax Slayer/Gator: Florida

Music City: USCe

Texas Bowl: Mizzou.

Las Vegas: Mississippi State.

No Bowls: A & M, Vandy, Arkansas and Auburn.

SEC does not fill multiple bowl slots.
Arkansas and Missouri play each other the last game of the season. both could be sitting at 5 wins. One of them will go bowling, I assume your picking Missouri to win.

Reactions: The-Hack
Ole Miss and Alabama pretty much playing a quasi elimination game on Saturday.

Winner still has path to NY6, loser pretty much clinches Citrus Bowl.

Florida-South Carolina also battling Saturday for best mid-tier bowl they can get.

Last chance for a win for USC with Tennessee and Clemson still to play. Otherwise 6-6

A USC victory means UF has to beat Vandy to get to 6 with FSU still to play to potential enhance their place in the pecking order.

Arkansas playing both LSU and Ole MIss at home, you want to think they can get one to get to 6, but certainly more likely it comes down to season ender at Mizzou. That Liberty game was a crusher.

Mizzous only path to a bowl is beating Arkansas. Aint beating Tennessee but have a bunny against NMSU for their 5th win

Mcmurphy today projects UK to Tampa, vs Notre Dame (!)

Georgia & Knoxville in playoff
Bama to Sugar
LSU to Cotton
Ole Miss to Citrus
Florida to Nashville
Miss St to Taxslayer

Thanks. I have amended.

As we won’t be able to fill them all, better research would tell us who among the Gasparilla, Liberty, Las Vegas bowls pay out the most, and I did not do that research.

I recall the Texas Bowl has a bigger payout than the Gator, so I think we fill the Texas Bowl.

[At a glance, Gasparrilla Bowl 1.125 million, Las Vegas 2.7 million, and Liberty Bowl 4.7 million.]
Here's da full list of bowl payouts.

https://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl-schedule/2022/

Bama to Sugar
LSU to Cotton
Ole Miss to Citrus
Florida to Nashville
Miss St to Taxslayer

Ole Miss beats Bama that reverses.

Bama to Sugar
LSU to Cotton
Ole Miss to Citrus
Florida to Nashville
Miss St to Taxslayer
If UK wins 8 - Tampa is almost a lock, it is a fun bowl and great place to go in early January for the fans! If 7-5 it will get dicey. No one mentioning Texas Bowl in Houston - but that is a nice bowl as well and payout if strong too! If UK doesn't get Tampa - I'm hoping for Houston and Texas Bowl.

Go Big Blue!

Alabama not being in playoffs could be good for the conference come bowl W-L unless they have 24 guys opting out. Saban will rally the troops and fill the holes with UA All-Americans though.

Figure that will more than likely go to a west team.
The Texas Bowl almost always does, but Vegas is so far from anywhere in the SEC, that I don't know if it would be a factor. If we take care of business against Vanderbilt and Louisville, we'll be in a better bowl than that, anyway.

Bama to Sugar
LSU to Cotton
Ole Miss to Citrus
Florida to Nashville
Miss St to Taxslayer
I saw his teweet...that would be a DREAM! I would love to play ND in a bowl game.

Reactions: The-Hack and JHB4UK
Quick question since I'm too lazy to look it up: Does the SEC pool their bowl money and only pay it out to the bowl teams, is it split somehow between all teams, or does each team pocket their individual bowl game money?

Quick question since I'm too lazy to look it up: Does the SEC pool their bowl money and only pay it out to the bowl teams, is it split somehow between all teams, or does each team pocket their individual bowl game money?
My understanding is that each team deducts traveling expenses, then 16 shares are created equally from the rest. The participant gets two of the shares, the League gets a share, and each of the remaining 13 teams get a share.

After NY6 I believe the SEC office assigns the teams to the bowls now.
Citrus chooses whomever they want, with no input from the conference.

Then Tampa usually gets the team slotted just below the Citrus team. Then Gator often the next, or the Texas Bowl if the next is a West team. [All chosen with conference input].

Then Liberty, Nashville, Shreveport live off of 6-6, 7-5 teams, usually.

Everyone gets the same check. We got the SEC money for years without ever making a bowl.

Everyone gets the same check. We got the SEC money for years without ever making a bowl.
I don't think that's completely accurate. I think the bowl teams get a portion of their bowl payout and then the rest is shared. So I think bowl teams end up with more money than non-bowl teams. I'm pretty sure I read that several years ago, but I can't remember the exact details.

Reactions: The-Hack
The entire SEC bowl payout is not put in 1 giant pot & divided evenly 14 ways. Where do y'all get this stuff!?!? Vandy gets the same check as Bama or Georgia in the CFB playoff, do you really think this??

Think playing Notre Dame would be a possiblity for both the Outback / Reliaquest Bowl and the Gator / TaxSlayer Bowl.

May not mean a thing, but UK has only played in Tampa bowl once and I am pretty sure Notre Dame has never played in that bowl - but I am 100% sure they have never played each other.

Reactions: Cat06 and The-Hack
The entire SEC bowl payout is not put in 1 giant pot & divided evenly 14 ways. Where do y'all get this stuff!?!? Vandy gets the same check as Bama or Georgia in the CFB playoff, do you really think this??
That’s litterally how it is minus travel expenses for the bowls.
Vandy gets slightly less than Bama. Because Bama will make a bowl and have expenses but overall Vandy basically gets what Bama GA TN ect does. (Roughly).

It's the way it used to be done in many of the conferences. In fact, some conferences still do it...

https://businessofcollegesports.com/college-football-playoff-payouts/

"#1 Be aware that funds are distributed directly to conferences (with the exception of Independents), which each have their own rules for distribution to individual member institutions. For example, some conferences distribute evenly between all members while others grant bonuses to the participating team."​

That’s litterally how it is minus travel expenses for the bowls.
Close.

In prior years, each SEC bowl participant school got two of the 16 equally divided “shares,” the SEC got one, and the remaining schools each got one.

Hence, if a team went to a Play Off Bowl paying each participant 16 million (I’m making the math easy with that number), the participant, say Alabama, got travel expenses plus two million. The SEC got a million, and each other conference school got a million.

Hence, the rich benefit a tad disproportionately, probably averaging out to a 15-20 difference in payouts over time.

May not mean a thing, but UK has only played in Tampa bowl once and I am pretty sure Notre Dame has never played in that bowl - but I am 100% sure they have never played each other.
Well, we have been in Jacksonville and Orlando twice, each, the last 6 years, but haven’t been to Tampa since 1999.

Your scenario looks very promising!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT