ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Sankey’s statement on Commission on College Basketball report

HICATFAN

All-SEC
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2001
Kailua, Hawaii
Punish the cheaters.....let's step back then....and let UNCheat get what they deserve....for 20 YEARS of cheating !!!!

Greg Sankey’s statement on Commission on College Basketball report

by Larry Vaught

SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey on report of Commission on College Basketball:

“We are grateful to the Commission on College Basketball for its diligent work and clear support of the educational value of collegiate sports. The Commission rightly focused its attention on a number of key issues affecting the sport, including agent certification and access, the one-and-done rule, grassroots basketball, and increasing the accountability applied to individuals and institutions who fail to meet the expectations for integrity in college athletics.

“While the report and recommendations won’t solve all of our challenges overnight, this represents an important step in a process to restore confidence in this great sport. We will now engage with our membership in evaluating the Commission’s proposals and providing constructive feedback to support the Division I Board of Directors decision making process.”

AlohaCat

Reactions: blubo
This has turned into a politically based knee jerk reaction firestorm.The likely outcome is the complete downfall of the college game,the NCAA will make changes they can't enforce,introduce elements they can't control and cause more unforeseen consequences than any problem they solve.

The system broke down when UNC skated,it became the wild west,everyone decided to see what they could get away with so here we are trying to put toothpaste back in a tube.

“and increasing the accountability applied to individuals and institutions who fail to meet the expectations for integrity in college athletics.”

rusm.

UNC gets off with the greatest scandal in the history of college athletics. Now all the sudden these guys have had enough and they're going to clean up the corruption that they helped defend for years. Reminds me of OJ offering a reward for finding his wife's killer.

Furthermore I don't care if UNC wins 10 more championships. I will never acknowledge another feat from that program. We are living in the days of fake news, fake grades, and hypocrites abounding everywhere.

Sankey has no credibility. Like others have said, he let North Carolina at Chapel Hill off the hook. I embarrassed to have to acknowledge he is the Commissioner of the SEC. I am embarrassed that my alma mater has not stood up and cancelled every contract we have with the biggest cheaters of all time

Commission rightly focused its attention on a number of key issues affecting the sport, including agent certification and access, the one-and-done rule, grassroots basketball, and increasing the accountability applied to individuals and institutions who fail to meet the expectations for integrity in college athletics.

It's hard to put the water back in a bucket after it is spilled, you idiot............
Now they get it but it is too late to act, fools'. Sounds just like politicians promising everything and getting nothing. He need's to go back to sucking eggs.

GBB

UNC gets off with the greatest scandal in the history of college athletics. Now all the sudden these guys have had enough and they're going to clean up the corruption that they helped defend for years. Reminds me of OJ offering a reward for finding his wife's killer.

Furthermore I don't care if UNC wins 10 more championships. I will never acknowledge another feat from that program. We are living in the days of fake news, fake grades, and hypocrites abounding everywhere.

Agreed. Without an accounting of The Filth and until some justice is done on them, this is a farce.

I wonder if it addressed student-athlete eligibility, after taking fake classes?

The report specifically mentioned that the NCAA should have jurisdiction over such situations even though the "classes" were made available to some ordinary students. A poke in UNC's eye.

Reactions: HICATFAN
Sankey has no credibility. Like others have said, he let North Carolina at Chapel Hill off the hook. I embarrassed to have to acknowledge he is the Commissioner of the SEC. I am embarrassed that my alma mater has not stood up and cancelled every contract we have with the biggest cheaters of all time
Not defending UNC but by the book they argued the classes were legit and therefore it was outside of the NCAA rules to punish them. The response even acknowledged how they felt it was more than likely that UNC knew what they were doing. I don’t think you can blame Sankey for that. I agree it’s nonsense that they could clearly cheat for 20 years and get away with it, but the loophole allowed it. Closing such a loophole may be one of the few sensible things the commission came up with.

Last edited:
Have any only these idiots on the committee to let UNCheat walk have they been interviewed??? I think they owe some answers with folllow up questions. Their inaction serves the NCAA a major wound

Not defending UNC but by the book they argued the classes were legit and therefore it was outside of the NCAA rules to punish them. The response even acknowledged how they felt it was more than likely that UNC knew what they were doing. I don’t think you can blame Sankey for that. I agree it’s nonsense that they could clearly cheat for 20 years and get away with it, but the loophole allowed it. Closing such a loophole may be one of the few sensible things the commission came up with.

If nothing else, they could have punished UNC for multiple bogus internal investigations that misrepresented the truth to the NCAA. The fact is if any one PERSON misled the NCAA so badly and so many times they would have been punished. UNC might have skated on a technicality but had Dan Kane not exposed their lies in print ..... they would have never eventually even admitted to what they did. THAT is a violation. Ask Dez Bryant who lost a season of football for lying about a lunch with Don Sanders that wasn't even a violation.

Once Cam Newton was allowed to continue playing for Auburn despite his father requesting money during his recruitment, Pandora's box was open forever. The NCAA didn't have a great record prior and it has gotten worse.

The funny thing is that every fan base screams bloody murder about other school's scandals and rationalize their own. Shoe companies own the coaches and schools, kids that should be allowed to turn professional become rent-a-players for less than a year, and everyone is making money but the kids themselves. And the funniest thing of all is a politician is heading up a commission to clean all this up. Isn't that like asking a smoking, drinking, 400 lbs person for fitness advice?

If nothing else, they could have punished UNC for multiple bogus internal investigations that misrepresented the truth to the NCAA. The fact is if any one PERSON misled the NCAA so badly and so many times they would have been punished. UNC might have skated on a technicality but had Dan Kane not exposed their lies in print ..... they would have never eventually even admitted to what they did. THAT is a violation. Ask Dez Bryant who lost a season of football for lying about a lunch with Don Sanders that wasn't even a violation.
I think they should’ve gone off script and destroyed them, but I think Sankey did what the rules allowed him to do. Again, I don’t like it either, but blaming him is just as bad as all the UNC people claiming he couldn’t be impartial because he works for the SEC. Jay Bilas frequently annoys me but thoroughly explained why the NCAA wasn’t able to take action but SACS could.

If what they were doing was not against the rules, then why were people fired and classes changed?

I think they should’ve gone off script and destroyed them, but I think Sankey did what the rules allowed him to do. Again, I don’t like it either, but blaming him is just as bad as all the UNC people claiming he couldn’t be impartial because he works for the SEC. Jay Bilas frequently annoys me but thoroughly explained why the NCAA wasn’t able to take action but SACS could.
NCAA <> SACS, both are impotent.

Reactions: brianpoe
The main objective of the NCAA is to increase their revenue in basketball from $1.1 billion. They have a hard time staying on budget.

The facts are they operate under a double standard with certain teams favored and exempt from violations non favored schools get hammered for. We all know if it had been a school like a Cleveland State involved in scandal as UNC was, they would be finished playing college basketball. That will not change.

If what they were doing was not against the rules, then why were people fired and classes changed?
Because of how they ultimately framed the argument it became an accreditation issue exclusively. It is absurd that was the case but they just followed the bylaws. My main point with the whole argument is that it is good that they are working to make sure this can’t happen again and that Greg Sankey would’ve done something if he could have.

Because of how they ultimately framed the argument it became an accreditation issue exclusively. It is absurd that was the case but they just followed the bylaws. My main point with the whole argument is that it is good that they are working to make sure this can’t happen again and that Greg Sankey would’ve done something if he could have.
Disagree about Sankey. By nit doing anything because of a bylaw, why did it take 5 years to do nothing? Why didn’t they say so in the beginning? I submit they were planning to hit them but somebody told them not to. Now the question is who was that?

Sankey helped UNCheat go unpunished for decades of cheating.

I said it before and I am saying it again, Jay Bilas knew exactly what he was doing when he said Sankey could not be involved with the punishment of UNCheat and be unbiased due to his SEC affiliation. He knew that it would cause Sankey to go overboard to make sure he didn't seem biased to the point of letting UNCheat off. Well done Bilas, well done.

What about all of the other infractions that was conveniently left out of the final ruling such as Basketball players driving free rental cars for months and receiving fee custom made orthodontic mouthguards that cost several hundred dollars to non UNC basketball players? With all that was going on, even with that loophole, they could have still handed down their favorite "Lack of institutional control" verdict and did something to them. To let them off with nothing was a joke even by NCAA standards.

Colleges in regards to UNC and the NCAA need to have some guts like UGA and OU did back in the 80s when they sued the NCAA. Not the same reasoning...but it still all comes down to $$$......

. National Collegiate Athletic Association v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, 468 U.S. 85 (1984)
Not many cases — never mind sports law cases — make it to the United States Supreme Court. Therefore, it is easy to see why NCAA v. Board of Regents is one of the most significant cases involving college sports.

In the early 1980s, the NCAA controlled the number of times a school's football games could be televised nationally and regionally, as well as the revenue the school received for each broadcast. Specifically, no NCAA member institution was eligible to appear on television more than a total of six times — and no more than four times nationally — over a two-year period.

The NCAA claimed that the goal of the plan was to reduce the adverse effects of live television upon football game attendance. Unhappy about the limitation, universities belonging to the College Football Association (CFA) negotiated a separate television contract with NBC that would have allowed a more liberal number of TV appearances for each school and would have increased the revenues realized by CFA members. In response, the NCAA announced that it would take disciplinary action against any CFA member that complied with the CFA-NBC contract.

The schools sued the NCAA in federal court, claiming that the controls exercised by the NCAA over the televising of college football games violated Section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act. In ruling that the NCAA's television plan constituted a restraint upon the operation of a free market in violation of the Sherman Act, the United States Supreme Court stripped the NCAA of a major funding source and returned it to the schools and conferences.

As a result of the ruling, the free market took hold in college football, and schools such as Notre Dame and Texas were able to enter into their own television contracts, while conferences such as the Big Ten, SEC, ACC and Pac-12 were able to create their own networks.

Might as well quit while you're ahead. Some here will never listen to what you are saying (which is exactly what other NCAA experts and lawyers have said) simply because it involves unc. Some are incapable of understanding because of their blind hatred for unc. You're just going to get a bunch of people attacking you, calling you a unc fan, pointing to trivial possible violations that they say should lead to the death penalty, and so on. It's best to just not try to explain why Sankey's, and the COI, hands were tied on this issue.

What about all of the other infractions that was conveniently left out of the final ruling such as Basketball players driving free rental cars for months and receiving fee custom made orthodontic mouthguards that cost several hundred dollars to non UNC basketball players? With all that was going on, even with that loophole, they could have still handed down their favorite "Lack of institutional control" verdict and did something to them. To let them off with nothing was a joke even by NCAA standards.
I honestly don’t know what happened with that stuff. The process took so long and there were so many “investigations” and appeals I don’t know what ultimately ended up on the table. I think some on here are under the impression that I’m happy with the result. I’m not, but UNC sacrificed its reputation as an elite academic institution by claiming the classes were legit. Not sure how they can do that and fire people at the same time but I wasted enough my life being aggravated with the situation. I can’t stand UNC and their smug fans. They got off on a technicality.

Might as well quit while you're ahead. Some here will never listen to what you are saying (which is exactly what other NCAA experts and lawyers have said) simply because it involves unc. Some are incapable of understanding because of their blind hatred for unc. You're just going to get a bunch of people attacking you, calling you a unc fan, pointing to trivial possible violations that they say should lead to the death penalty, and so on. It's best to just not try to explain why Sankey's, and the COI, hands were tied on this issue.
You’re probably right. I get the frustration but it did come at a cost, just not the cost we all wanted.

I honestly don’t know what happened with that stuff. The process took so long and there were so many “investigations” and appeals I don’t know what ultimately ended up on the table. I think some on here are under the impression that I’m happy with the result. I’m not, but UNC sacrificed its reputation as an elite academic institution by claiming the classes were legit. Not sure how they can do that and fire people at the same time but I wasted enough my life being aggravated with the situation. I can’t stand UNC and their smug fans. They got off on a technicality.
UNLV and Tark got off on a technicality but suffered a hit to their reputation UNC has suffered no such damage and aren't likely to do so.They made a mockery of both academics and athletics for a generation but the NCAA,the media and other schools don't seem to care.If that had been UK and we had skated like UNC did(which wouldn't have happened)the media wolves would be howling at our doors for the next 50 years. Hell,we are still hearing about point shaving in the 50's,books written and movies made about Coach Rupp being a racist, Sutton's misdeeds in the 80's and oh by the way Cal is a cheater and ruining college basketball.Forgive some of us who won't let what UNC did go away and just forget it happened.

Because the NCAA let the UNCheaters off on a technicality doesn't mean that I have to like their ruling. They cheated for 20+ years! (it was more like 30 yrs) The NCAA's ruling on that case is as big of a farce as the fake classes were at UNCheat! They can give all of the lip service they want to "cleaning up the game". I will never spend another penny towards the NCAA beyond watching UK play......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT