ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest live concert u attended

Michael Jackson 1988 Freedom Hall. Tickets were around $28 and no one could believe they were priced so high!

Reactions: christophero
Stone Temple Pilots at the Louisville Gardens in April 1997 was incredible. So much energy, a lot of cool transitions, including an acoustic set.

I've seen Garth Brooks several times, and he is simply the best entertainer I've ever seen. Just an incredible show.

I've seen Dave Matthews Band 46 times, so it is hard to pick one, but I went to a show at Piedmont Park in Atlanta in 2007 with a huge crowd (50-60k). The Allman Brothers Band opened and Gregg sat in on Melissa with DMB.

Reactions: WildcatFan1982
My first ever was hard to beat .. 5th Or 6th grade , Kiss , Alive II tour , 1978 . Huntington Wv from right behind the pit .. it’s a small ass venue anyway and we were close .
Springsteen in 1984 .. in Rupp , born in the USA tour .

great small show was Brothers Osborne 2 -3 years ago at Bogarts in Cincy

1.)Travis Tritt! Surprisingly great. Guy never left the stage. He played ACDC, Skynard, Alabama,etc...2.) Bon Jovi when he mixed in Country. J Nettles came out on stage. Had no desire to go to this concert, but it was the wife's birthday present. Shocked how good it was!

I’ve seen Tritt twice over the years, once with Marty Stewart, once solo. He is outstanding, phenomenal singer and musician.

Too many to rank.

I’ve seen Rush 6-7 times. Every show was epic.

Queensyche at Municipal Auditorium in Nashville in the early 90’s was epic. They did the Operation: mindcrime album in it’s entirety. One of my all-time favorite albums and the show was incredible. One of the best rock bands of the late 80’s/early 90’s and few people know about them. They were great live.

I have seen Iron Maiden 3-4 times as well. They put on a killer live show.

But I like small venues the best and the best two I can remember were 38 Special and Night Ranger, both at the Executive Inn in Owensboro. Those were some cool shows at a cool venue. Not a bad seat in the house.

Anyone else catch a show at the Executive Inn in Owensboro back in the day?

Robert Plant -Manic Nirvana tour at Deer Creek in Indianapolis. Was a wonderful experience, greatly enhanced by the hit of blue unicorn I took on the way to the show

Reactions: BigTyrone
Anybody seen any cool shows over the past 18 months?

I haven't seen any (not even local). I almost saw King Diamond not long back, but I punked out at the last minute.

My next show will probably be Judas Priest and Queensryche, November 15 in Corbin. Priest's one of the few remaining bands from my youth that's still around that I want to see and haven't; and I don't know anything about post-Geoff Tate Queensryche, but I love Operation: Mindcrime and I hope I get to see Michael Wilton and Eddie Jackson play Eyes of a Stranger. Anyone else going? :)

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
I saw Snoop Dogg in Corbin last month.

Last show before that was Clutch at Bogarts right before Covid hit.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
Leonard Cohen at the Louisville Palace in 2013. It was a holy experience. The way people talk about that show sounds like a religious experience. It felt that way.

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant in the Hollywood Bowl. I moved to LA largely because I listened to Going to California on acid so much. I went to the back (it's a crazy venue, you can just walk into the woods). Smoked a **** ton of weed then got back to my seat as they played Going to California. Probably not the best performance I've ever seen, but it was the most significant for personal reasons.

Prince at the Palace around 2015. I always liked Prince, never really loved him until that night, but holy shit that was an incredible experience.

Has anyone ever seen Johnny Berry and the Outliers? Their rowdy ass shows at Seidenfadens back in the day were epic.

To Jdee's question:

-so far this year:

Parquet Courts w/ mdou moctar
Flaming Lips w/heartless bastards
Son Volt w/sg Goodman
Pokey Lafarge w/ Taylor Rae
Steely Dan w/snarky puppy

Upcoming:
Dwight Yoakum
Spoon/Interpol

-plus the occasional local stuff.

Jimmy Page & Robert Plant - Frankfurt Germany roughly 1998 or 1999
3 hour show stripped down raw sets (no backing orchestra). - opened with "The Wanton Song"

🦻👌👌

* Altamont, San Francisco, California, Dec. 1969, it was a Hell of a time.
* Who, Cincinnati, Ohio, Dec. 1979, it was a rush and they crushed it.
* Beverly Hills Supper Club, Southgate, KY, May 1977, John Davidson was smoking hot that night.
Had to look up Altamonte. Hadn't heard of that one before. Wild read.

Had to look up Altamonte. Hadn't heard of that one before. Wild read.
You might want to watch this film if you're interested.

Gimme_Shelter_poster.jpg

REM opened for Springsteen and the E Street Band at Clevelamd's Gund Arena. I was in the PIT and Michael Stipe shook my hand mid song during "Everybody Hurts". Of the 34 times I have seen Springsteen this one stood out to have REM on the same card. Springsteen on Broadway was a close second. Simon and Garfunkle was a very special show as well at GA Tech's Grant Field.

George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyer’s in The Louisville Gardens!

1b) AC/DC in Rupp.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: HymanKaplan
My favorite by far was Old crow medicine show at the palace and Iroquois amphitheater. Going to see Willie Nelson Wednesday at Iroquois. Such a great venue

REM opened for Springsteen and the E Street Band at Clevelamd's Gund Arena. I was in the PIT and Michael Stipe shook my hand mid song during "Everybody Hurts". Of the 34 times I have seen Springsteen this one stood out to have REM on the same card. Springsteen on Broadway was a close second. Simon and Garfunkle was a very special show as well at GA Tech's Grant Field.
Chumming for Mav post.
MytMSF.gif

I somehow forgot the Indy Jazz fest circa 2001. Lots of great acts, but Lucinda Williams playing into the sunset then James Brown coming on after dark was EPIC.

Reactions: jameslee32
Anybody seen any cool shows over the past 18 months?

I haven't seen any (not even local). I almost saw King Diamond not long back, but I punked out at the last minute.

My next show will probably be Judas Priest and Queensryche, November 15 in Corbin. Priest's one of the few remaining bands from my youth that's still around that I want to see and haven't; and I don't know anything about post-Geoff Tate Queensryche, but I love Operation: Mindcrime and I hope I get to see Michael Wilton and Eddie Jackson play Eyes of a Stranger. Anyone else going? :)

Sept 2021
Megadeth/Lamb of God/Hatebreed
Oct 2021
Black Label Society/Obituary/Prong
Nov 2021
Unmerciful/Narcotic Wasteland/Mutilatred/Carrion Vael

March 2022
Cannibal Corpse/Whitechapel/Revocation/Shadow of Intent
May 2022
The Bay Strikes Back Tour - Testament/Exodus/Death Angel

UPCOMING

August 2022
Anthrax/Black Label Society/Hatebreed

Several other smaller shows that i might go to like Blood Incantation and Left To Die (Death tribute band with actual former Death members).
Thinking about Megadeth again in September, but i have ZERO interest in Five Finger Death Punch or The HU and I don't care to spend $200+ to get a Pit ticket.

Reactions: J_Dee
I constantly curse at my mother (not literally) about all the concerts she skipped. She was born in 1952. I can forgive her for missing the Beatles (getting from Owensboro to Cincinnati at 14 was probably rather difficult) but so many other shows she could have seen. Just think. She turned 18 in 1970. Hendrix, Joplin, The Who, The Doors, Pink Floyd, etc...

Nope. She has been to 3 concerts ever. America, The Osmonds, and The Beach Boys (without Brian Wilson). She has plenty of money, I guess because she never went to any shows. Still drives me crazy because I'll be talking to her and say something like "Oh hey Lady Antebellum is coming to Louisville this fall" and she will say "oooh I love them, how much are tickets?" and then if I say anything other than 'free' then she will say "oh thats just too much"

either way. I went to visit this past weekend. We were talking and she asked me if I'd like to see the Rolling Stones. The answer of course is yes, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay the prices they charge to see a bunch of 80 year olds on stage. She said who would you spend that much money on. I said "I'd pay anything to see Led Zeppelin in 1973. Hell I'd sell a kidney to make that happen"

She was kind of aghast at that. I just said "mom, in that scenario time travel is involved' so she got it

either way

take my kidney

I should say ever since ROMP came to Owensboro she has seen a ton of bluegrass artists and similar things. But she gets those tickets for free from her former employer and I had to drag her to some of those.

Bob Dylan in Freedom Hall 2007. John Fogerty at the Palace in 2007, Moody Blues at the Palace in August 2009 and The Who at Yum in 2013.

Lumineers as the last mass gathering in Louisville (i guess the riots don't matter). Many riots after that.
You talking about the Waterfront Show with a stage setup in the middle of the crowd? That one is in my top 10, great show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT