ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Consolidation is inevitable. Looking forward to visiting the Sam Adams taproom when they have the many various Dogfish Head beers on tap. Long been one of my favorite brewers.

Fwiw, I think Taft's might be the best brewer in Cincy now passing up Mad Tree, Listermann's and Braxton.
I really like Rhinegeist from up there. Two close connections live in the area. My damn second cousin blows me off every time I'm in the area. She would not even talk to me when during one of my German visits 2012-13 and her husband was training at the Bilstein shock absorber plant in Germany.

A good friend, whom I've known 40 years. lives out by Jungle Jim's Eastgate store. He's one of the knights of the castle out by the river. I really want to set up a visit with him and check out the local Cincy scene. He'll drive. Perhaps in July.

Reactions: jameslee32
I really like Rhinegeist from up there. Two close connections live in the area. My damn second cousin blows me off every time I'm in the area. She would not even talk to me when during one of my German visits 2012-13 and her husband was training at the Bilstein shock absorber plant in Germany.

A good friend, whom I've known 40 years. lives out by Jungle Jim's Eastgate store. He's one of the knights of the castle out by the river. I really want to set up a visit with him and check out the local Cincy scene. He'll drive. Perhaps in July.
It's getting better and better but as I said before, it's ripe for consolidation also. I really don't know how you spend a million bucks on a taproom and make money with the thin margins. But many are comfortable with a nice vibe also. I'm thinking Moerlein Lager House, Sam Adams, 3 Points, Taft's Ale House and Platform.

I'm more of a dive bar guy at heart but I can adapt for nice beers. Would definitely recommend Taft's Brewpourium, 50 West, Woodburn, Braxton, Listermann's, Mad Tree, Darkness, Streetside and all the ones downtown really. Not that some of these aren't cool but several downtown are very, very nice places except maybe Rhinegeist and the Christian Moerlein Brewery itself.

Moerlein Lager House downtown and 50 West in Mariemont are the best bets for a nice meal as well.

Not disagreeing...my only concern is maintaining the quality...Goose Island sold to one of the big beverage boys but one of the reasons was they have them handle the mass appeal beers and the brewers could focus more on the specialty beers such as the Goose Island Bourbon County offerings.
AB Inbev owns Goose Island now.

A couple Cincy brewers have opened new locations in town to brew those crazier beers. A Cleveland brewer called Platform has opened breweries in both Columbus and OTR in Cincinnati. Each location has a unique theme to them I've been told.

It's getting better and better but as I said before, it's ripe for consolidation also. I really don't know how you spend a million bucks on a taproom and make money with the thin margins. But many are comfortable with a nice vibe also. I'm thinking Moerlein Lager House, Sam Adams, 3 Points, Taft's Ale House and Platform.

I'm more of a dive bar guy at heart but I can adapt for nice beers. Would definitely recommend Taft's Brewpourium, 50 West, Woodburn, Braxton, Listermann's, Mad Tree, Darkness, Streetside and all the ones downtown really. Not that some of these aren't cool but several downtown are very, very nice places except maybe Rhinegeist and the Christian Moerlein Brewery itself.

Moerlein Lager House downtown and 50 West in Mariemont are the best bets for a nice meal as well.
Oh yeah, you can get a decent meal at Taft's Ale House in OTR as well. Downtown more or less, 1-block north of Washington Park.

Is old Hudepohl still brewing? Schoenling's Little Kings? Dude! If I could drink their beer from the keg, then another bucket list item is marked off. Loved that stuff back in the day.

Is old Hudepohl still brewing? Schoenling's Little Kings? Dude! If I could drink their beer from the keg, then another bucket list item is marked off. Loved that stuff back in the day.
Christian Moerlein bought these brands and is brewing them. During Bockfest all have a variety of Bock beer also. The owner basically ignited the craft beer movement in town when he bought them.

Sam Adams brews in the old Schoenling Brewery location. Chistiam Moerlein brews in the old Kaufman Brewery I believe in the brewery district. Rhinegeist is open in an old bottling plant.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Christian Moerlein bought these brands and is brewing them. During Bockfest all have a variety of Bock beer also. The owner basically ignited the craft beer movement in town when he bought them.

Sam Adams brews in the old Schoenling Brewery location. Chistiam Moerlein brews in the old Kaufman Brewery I believe in the brewery district. Rhinegeist is open in an old bottling plant.
I MUST VISIT! Ha ha. Thanks for the insight. Gary and Carol, my close friends from way back when, live near there. I'll set up a great visit for July 4 week.

Haha, I nearly attended Xavier and CCMS back in '83. Got accepted and was gonna leave the Army. Really love the folks up there.

I MUST VISIT! Ha ha. Thanks for the insight. Gary and Carol, my close friends from way back when, live near there. I'll set up a great visit for July 4 week.

Haha, I nearly attended Xavier and CCMS back in '83. Got accepted and was gonna leave the Army. Really love the folks up there.
We'd be glad to have you back! Crazy how it's become such a tourist area lately. There's a huge hotel boom happening now in the urban core where I live. The best part about gentrification I guess. Check out this link for a decent list of local breweries and cheers!
:beer:
https://cincinnatiusa.com/bars-and-nightlife/breweries

We'd be glad to have you back! Crazy how it's become such a tourist area lately. There's a huge hotel boom happening now in the urban core where I live. The best part about gentrification I guess. Check out this link for a decent list of local breweries and cheers!
:beer:
https://cincinnatiusa.com/bars-and-nightlife/breweries
Thanks so much for the info. I hung around lots back during the early 80s in the Fairfield and Hamilton areas. Visited later with my German Ex in late '86. Got in trouble after riding on the back of an old Harley and enjoying too much scenery during that uncharacteristically warm fall that year. Wow!

Road trip coming July 4th week.

At 3 Floyd’s and Lagunitas in Chicago they have a restaurant and a shop to buy merchandise as well in the same building.

I've been to Madtree in Oakley 3 times now , probably not a popular opinion but to me their beers miss the mark for the most part .. For one they offer very little in the NE IPA category , and next I like Belgian dubs or triples / Hefe's , some wheats .. seems like they dont offer very many I like in those areas . Nice building , pizza looks yummy . But I'm not impressed with the lineup . But man they pack them in there by the 100's .

I've been to Madtree in Oakley 3 times now , probably not a popular opinion but to me their beers miss the mark for the most part .. For one they offer very little in the NE IPA category , and next I like Belgian dubs or triples / Hefe's , some wheats .. seems like they dont offer very many I like in those areas . Nice building , pizza looks yummy . But I'm not impressed with the lineup . But man they pack them in there by the 100's .
You'd like Braxton but it's not cheap there.

I liked MadTree the best until Taft's upped their game. The cool thing is there's something for everyone just in the urban core.

Further away, IPA fans need to visit Little Miami Brewing in Milford. Awesome selection and a great space also with brick oven pizza, salads, apps and whiskey at the bar.

You'd like Braxton but it's not cheap there.

I liked MadTree the best until Taft's upped their game. The cool thing is there's something for everyone just in the urban core.

Further away, IPA fans need to visit Little Miami Brewing in Milford. Awesome selection and a great space also with brick oven pizza, salads, apps and whiskey at the bar.
Little Miami and Fretboard are my current favorites. I love both places. Little Miami is the total package especially in the summertime. Tafts original brewer is at Fretboard now. It seems like they have really taken off since he got there.

Braxton is a really good brewery but I think that Braxton Labs has way better beer especially if you like ipas and sours. They are the best around imo. The space is small but the service is excellent

Cant hype Sixth Sense in Jackson Ohio enough , If you like any style of IPA's . they are the champ by a mile . I drive about 50 min to go there at least once a month . Great mixed drinks also .. homemade Triple Sec in the Marg's , many other home made concoctions , like Blueberry shandy made with their own puree . But their brews are the best . Rt 32 up towards Athens .

Cant hype Sixth Sense in Jackson Ohio enough , If you like any style of IPA's . they are the champ by a mile . I drive about 50 min to go there at least once a month . Great mixed drinks also .. homemade Triple Sec in the Marg's , many other home made concoctions , like Blueberry shandy made with their own puree . But their brews are the best . Rt 32 up towards Athens .
I will definitely give it a shot

I will definitely give it a shot

Let me know what ya think , they have a mexican style food truck outside the bar , I think its decent but not so great , BUT , the American diner next door called Arch N Eddies is great , if you like fried mushrooms they do them fresh and very well.

Reactions: KARLITO12
Braxton is a really good brewery but I think that Braxton Labs has way better beer especially if you like ipas and sours. They are the best around imo. The space is small but the service is excellent
I like it better too. Still probably the priciest brewer in the area. Darkness down the street is underrated and cheaper. Their malty beers are right up my alley also.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Narrow path is a cool brewery. Very underrated. If you go hit up Cellar Dweller to for it is close by in Morrow. Great brew and venue there as well. Plus they make wine too
Yeah I know the Valley Vineyards winery. It's been around for decades but it's been quite a while since I've been up that way. Would love to try their beer also. The drive back is the biggest problem obviously but a trip that includes Narrow Path makes sense as well. Just not on the bike trail. lol

Reactions: KARLITO12
Has anyone used a mail order place to get crafts ? My local shop cant get Boulevard's Bourbon Barrel Aged Quad .. and its something I keep in stock

Just had a Konig Weissdunkel at Reichenback Hall in NYC. Good, but I prefer a trad dunkel... the wheat smoothes it out a little too much for my tastes.

Didn't fully realize the first go around but Little Miami Brewing has expensive beer as well. Most are $7 but it really has a lot to offer in the food dept. with great salads and pizza. Also a great vibe along the river. Taft's, Mad Tree, Braxton and others have better beer overall but Gila Monster is a 10% hoppy powerhouse for those inclined to sip along the river. The kayakers and bikers didn't seem to mind. I really liked the Pterodactyl Hefeweizen also.
IMG_2638-e1558127848843.jpeg

Didn't fully realize the first go around but Little Miami Brewing has expensive beer as well. Most are $7 but it really has a lot to offer in the food dept. with great salads and pizza. Also a great vibe along the river. Taft's, Mad Tree, Braxton and others have better beer overall but Gila Monster is a 10% hoppy powerhouse for those inclined to sip along the river. The kayakers and bikers didn't seem to mind. I really liked the Pterodactyl Hefeweizen also.
IMG_2638-e1558127848843.jpeg
I love that place. Great staff too

I went to Platform, and the Samuel Adams tap room yesterday for the first time. I really like platforms beer but I hate the space. It's to small for all the stuff they try to do and the line gets way to long. Samuel Adams was actually really cool. They have their regular seasonal stuff but they have 5 others on that are small batch test beers. Fresh pops is a popsicle sour that was insanely delicious. One of the best and most creative beers I've had. Its sweet and sour like a popsicle. Supposedly they have 50 wests brewer running the test program. All the of those beers were really good. Combine that with the nice space they have and that place should do pretty well.
I finished the day with 3 points urban and darkness until about midnight. Always solid stuff from both places

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT