ADVERTISEMENT

Great Beer....the sequel

Picked up some Founders Barrel Runner. Aged in rum barrels. I wasn’t sure if i liked it at first. It’s different. But by the second one I was sold on it. It might’ve helped that it’s 11%.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Spent the weekend in Farmington Hills , around Detroit and spent SAT in Windsor Ontario .. LOTS of craft brewery's up there . Oddly didnt find anything I was in love with .. except a great Blackberry Mead from the Dragon Mead Company . Tried lots of NE IPA's , none were great . None came close to what Sixth Sense is making Or the one by Rogue .

My ( nearby) Ohio border town Portsmouth , has a brewery that makes a fine Spicy Pumpkin Wheat brew , can be found around Chillocothe , Circleville and Portsmouth . The Brewery is Portsmouth Brewing Co .

I've sampled 39 different pumpkin beers. My personal favorite so far is Harpoon Imperial Pumpkin. 10.5%. Awesome.

667dad8433b72a601a566f825b09a995_320x320.jpg

Picked up some Founders Barrel Runner. Aged in rum barrels. I wasn’t sure if i liked it at first. It’s different. But by the second one I was sold on it. It might’ve helped that it’s 11%.

What i liked about that beer was that you truly got the flavor of rum barrels. Literally. It was a slightly strong flavored for me but still pretty good.

Tonight I had one of the new beers from the barrel series from founders and it’s the Old Curmudgeon Better half. It says it’s aged in maple bourbon barrels and it definitely is. Again, slightly too strong for my tastes but still very good if your already had one or two before. The breakfast stout and kbs are pretty damn good though and I’d almost prefer the breakfast stout especially compared to the availability and price of the others.

What i liked about that beer was that you truly got the flavor of rum barrels. Literally. It was a slightly strong flavored for me but still pretty good.

Tonight I had one of the new beers from the barrel series from founders and it’s the Old Curmudgeon Better half. It says it’s aged in maple bourbon barrels and it definitely is. Again, slightly too strong for my tastes but still very good if your already had one or two before. The breakfast stout and kbs are pretty damn good though and I’d almost prefer the breakfast stout especially compared to the availability and price of the others.
Their breakfast stout is one of my favorite stouts. Pretty damn fantastic especially if you can get it on draft

Made yet another trip to Sixth Sense in Jackson Oh this past weekend , They just tapped two fall specials. Paw Paw HefeWiezen and Paw paw Murk Juice ( NEIPA ) Both are outstanding , Jackson is on Rt 32 heading towards Athens FWIW .. this brewery is off the hook good . Worth the road trip for any craft beer/ NEIPA fans . Their standard is murk juice but they do variations of it .. Tropical Murk , Paw paw Murk , Murkimus Juicimus ( Double NEIPA) And Murk Shake . They are a micro and taps rotate a lot .. and they are damn good .

Made yet another trip to Sixth Sense in Jackson Oh this past weekend , They just tapped two fall specials. Paw Paw HefeWiezen and Paw paw Murk Juice ( NEIPA ) Both are outstanding , Jackson is on Rt 32 heading towards Athens FWIW .. this brewery is off the hook good . Worth the road trip for any craft beer/ NEIPA fans . Their standard is murk juice but they do variations of it .. Tropical Murk , Paw paw Murk , Murkimus Juicimus ( Double NEIPA) And Murk Shake . They are a micro and taps rotate a lot .. and they are damn good .

I just realized I like Hefeweizens. Had one recently for the first time that I can remember and thought “this has a very slight banana flavor”. I asked the waitress at the brewery we were in and she said that’s the smoke flavor. I had another one a couple days later and low and behold, I could kind of see how it was a slight smoke flavor. It’s subtle, light and smooth. I have no idea why it was like a slight banana flavor and wouldn’t think I would like that, so don’t think it does have that flavor. For some odd reason, that’s what it was like to me on that day. But surprisingly, I also liked the flavor a lot. Definitely a different flavor but still smooth and good.

I just realized I like Hefeweizens. Had one recently for the first time that I can remember and thought “this has a very slight banana flavor”. I asked the waitress at the brewery we were in and she said that’s the smoke flavor. I had another one a couple days later and low and behold, I could kind of see how it was a slight smoke flavor. It’s subtle, light and smooth. I have no idea why it was like a slight banana flavor and wouldn’t think I would like that, so don’t think it does have that flavor. For some odd reason, that’s what it was like to me on that day. But surprisingly, I also liked the flavor a lot. Definitely a different flavor but still smooth and good.

Trav -- The slight banana flavor is from the type of yeast used . No clue where the smoke flavor might be coming from . anyway a very good widely available Hefe is Seirra Nevada's Kellerwiess . Its very good , can be picked up about anywhere . And the German varieties are great . Wenhinstephaner for sure .

Happy National Drink Beer Day!!!

To celebrate Dep's Fine Wine & Spirits is having Braxton Pint night. Pints are just $4 and Braxton is one of the better brewers in the state. Offered will be Oktoberfuel, Kickback Cider, NE IPA Citra, Galaxy Mosaic and Belgian Wit. Free samples of a few others offered as well. Giddy up! Beat the Cocks!!
mail

Last edited:
Happy National Drink Beer Day!!!

To celebrate Dep's Fine Wine & Spirits is have Braxton Pint night. Pints are just $4 and Braxton is one of the better brewers in the state. Offered will be Oktoberfuel, Kickback Cider, NE IPA Citra, Galaxy Mosaic and Begian Wit. Free samples of a few others offered as well. Giddy up! Beat the Cocks!!
mail
I love Braxton. Braxton labs is definitely my go to spot. Super creative beers

It was good but I liked last year’s release better.
Thanks for the feedback.

Plan on sampling the 2018 release tomorrow just before the game.. Honestly, I'm too effed up right now worrying about our Cats against USCjr tomorrow.

Brother, it's truly been a lifetime since I've wanted such success for Cats. Thought about them all week. Can't sleep. Can hardly drink.

Go Cats!

Reactions: jameslee32
It's a good Marzen! I really enjoyed it as I do most of them. Ironically, Oktoberfuel is just okay but the New England IPA and Graeters Pumpkin Pie Ale are solid.
I've been wanting to try the pumpkin badly. I didnt care for the raspberry chip stout but I liked the blueberry pie beer. I love pumpkin beer so I'm pretty excited for that one

Reactions: jameslee32

So A) who’s had it?

B) I really want to try this. How hard is it to get? I got all the other barrel aged series and this is one I have not had. Had kbs and really liked it. Is this similar? Better? Impossible to get?

That’s it’s. Have you had Maximus? That’s the only beer from them I don’t like. In fact I hate it. Feel like I’ve been chewing on a pine tree after drinking that crap.

Maximus is probably my least favorite of theirs but it’s still pretty good...I am looking forward to their winter release of Cappuccino Stout that’s a really good one.

Reactions: weused2luvhim2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT