ADVERTISEMENT

Grant

Recruiting not going real well this year so far. Going to take more than what we have gotten the last two years to get a top 30 class again. Time to put an exciting product on the field. I have defended Stoops for doing what he had to with Smitty but it's year 6 somebody better show out at qb. The defense better be good.

I am not saying we should fire Stoops, but boy do I wish we had Brohm. If he can do what he is doing at Purdue, think of what he could do recruiting wise in the SEC. I mean last season he stole a recruit last minute from Texas. Now he already has one of the top 4 star DE's and a 4 star corner. Only sad part for those kids, is if Brohm keeps it up they will probably only have 1-2 seasons with him. I bet that idea is the only reason he doesn't get even more bigtime recruits.

Also took a 3-9 team to 7-6 in one season. Which included close losses to UofL and Wisconsin.

No question UKs stumbled coming out of the gate, missed on some OL guys, apparently settled on fallbacks there, missed on the Michigan DB they once led for but it's still plenty early. Very, very important camps/visits coming in the next weeks. They need to get busy.

I am not saying we should fire Stoops, but boy do I wish we had Brohm. If he can do what he is doing at Purdue, think of what he could do recruiting wise in the SEC. I mean last season he stole a recruit last minute from Texas. Now he already has one of the top 4 star DE's and a 4 star corner. Only sad part for those kids, is if Brohm keeps it up they will probably only have 1-2 seasons with him. I bet that idea is the only reason he doesn't get even more bigtime recruits.

Also took a 3-9 team to 7-6 in one season. Which included close losses to UofL and Wisconsin.
And the thing about Brohm is that he won't be at Purdue in a season or 2. My guess is this is his last year there before the big boys come calling with fists full of $$$$

Was his class last year even as good as Stoops worst?

Was his class last year even as good as Stoops worst?
No. But Brohm has proven he can win with inferior talent. He had WKU rolling when he left and I'd venture to say they would've waxed the floor with us. Their offense was amazing to watch and our D has been amazingly bad.

Stoops so far, has not proven that he can win with inferior talent.

No. But Brohm has proven he can win with inferior talent. He had WKU rolling when he left and I'd venture to say they would've waxed the floor with us. Their offense was amazing to watch and our D has been amazingly bad.

Brohm inherited alot of that offense at wku. Followed two pretty good coaches as well. Purdue won same amount of games. I like Purdue but do not think it's fair to use a 7 6 season to blast UK head coach.

Brohm inherited alot of that offense at wku. Followed two pretty good coaches as well. Purdue won same amount of games. I like Purdue but do not think it's fair to use a 7 6 season to blast UK head coach.
Purdue was a train wreck for several years before Brohm got there. They won 7 games, were competitive in every game and went to a bowl. Pretty impressive. No offense to Stoops but I don’t think he would have won 7 games at Purdue last year.

Reactions: MEMEBLUE
Brohm’s offense can score against ANYONE! Our offense struggles against EVERYONE!! Would love to see that kind of offense at UK. Not going to happen under CMS.

Brohm's schedule is tougher this year. Let's see how he does this year.

Brohm’s offense can score against ANYONE! Our offense struggles against EVERYONE!! Would love to see that kind of offense at UK. Not going to happen under CMS.

Really? How sure are you of that. Against common opponents Purdue score 28 to 17 against Louisville, against Northwester it was 13 for Purdue and 23 for UK with the best player missing 3/4 of the game. and finally against Missouri Purdue scored 35 to UK's 40

During the regular season Purdue scored 290 points for an average of 24.1 In the 9 Big 10 game Purdue scored at a 20;1 clip.

Meanwhile that poor offense of UK's offense in 12 regular season games scored 302 points for a 25.75 average, against the SEC opponents UK scored at a 27.2 clip.

Just seems odd to me that a team that is outscored against common opponents, during the season and in conference games is look at as having an offense that can score against anyone, while the struggles against everyone scored more points against common opponents and conference games. The difference in conference games is so great UK could have been shut out and still been better in a 9th game.

Another example of a team who likes to sling it all over the field and looks great against weak competiton, but once they face someone who plays a little defense and runs the ball has issues.

All those games and points Brohm's offense scored at WKU doesn't mean much when he steps up to big boy football. Lucky he was in the weaker division and missed Mich St, PSU and tOSU, conference points would have been mid teens per game.

Really? How sure are you of that. Against common opponents Purdue score 28 to 17 against Louisville, against Northwester it was 13 for Purdue and 23 for UK with the best player missing 3/4 of the game. and finally against Missouri Purdue scored 35 to UK's 40

During the regular season Purdue scored 290 points for an average of 24.1 In the 9 Big 10 game Purdue scored at a 20;1 clip.

Meanwhile that poor offense of UK's offense in 12 regular season games scored 302 points for a 25.75 average, against the SEC opponents UK scored at a 27.2 clip.

Just seems odd to me that a team that is outscored against common opponents, during the season and in conference games is look at as having an offense that can score against anyone, while the struggles against everyone scored more points against common opponents and conference games. The difference in conference games is so great UK could have been shut out and still been better in a 9th game.

Another example of a team who likes to sling it all over the field and looks great against weak competiton, but once they face someone who plays a little defense and runs the ball has issues.

All those games and points Brohm's offense scored at WKU doesn't mean much when he steps up to big boy football. Lucky he was in the weaker division and missed Mich St, PSU and tOSU, conference points would have been mid teens per game.
Dam!
Grumpy, you angling for a UK recruiting job? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You just closed this topic... go ahead and drop the mic.

Apples to oranges comparisons...one guy is in his first year the other in his fifth with his own recruits...Purdue was not embarrassed by anyone on their schedule. Excellent job by Brohm.

Reactions: rye48
Apples to oranges comparisons...one guy is in his first year the other in his fifth with his own recruits...Purdue was not embarrassed by anyone on their schedule. Excellent job by Brohm.

It was Brohm's 4th year as a head coach, so not so much apples to oranges. If this high powered passing attack wasn't embarassed at scoring 10 against Rutgers expectations are awfully low. He lost every game to a team with a pulse, his high powered offense that could score against anyone was held to 10 or less 3 times/

When facts are presented that doesn't support your opinion you choose to call it apples to oranges. Once again,teams that run the ball and play defense are huge issues for the pass happy spread offenses. They haven't had success in the Big10, SEC or ACC. They are pretty effective in the Pac12 and Big12, but Stanford, who runs the ball and plays defense has been the most consistent Pac12 team the last 5 years, now Washington who plays defense and runs the ball has had the best Pac12 teams. Those pass happy spread offense are designed to get people in the stands, not win champonships.

It was Brohm's 4th year as a head coach, so not so much apples to oranges. If this high powered passing attack wasn't embarassed at scoring 10 against Rutgers expectations are awfully low. He lost every game to a team with a pulse, his high powered offense that could score against anyone was held to 10 or less 3 times/

When facts are presented that doesn't support your opinion you choose to call it apples to oranges. Once again,teams that run the ball and play defense are huge issues for the pass happy spread offenses. They haven't had success in the Big10, SEC or ACC. They are pretty effective in the Pac12 and Big12, but Stanford, who runs the ball and plays defense has been the most consistent Pac12 team the last 5 years, now Washington who plays defense and runs the ball has had the best Pac12 teams. Those pass happy spread offense are designed to get people in the stands, not win champonships.

I hope you realize what you are doing. This guy absolutely HATES it when you give him FACTS, he will claim he has debunked all of them when he doesn't even try.

Pretty soon he is going to start calling you all sorts of names.

And then you did admit they scored ten or almost ten three times, they did score. lol That alone is enough for him to claim total victory in the discussion.

25 minutes against the University of Mississippi without even attempting a field goal... 44 - 17 against u6 and they still haven't punted yet... 35-7 against Mississippi st....42-13 against uga..we we beat Missouri 40 - 34 and Purdue beat them 35-3. Now that is what you call embarrassing. Stoops headed into sixth year at UK, Brohm's first at Purdue sorry , but that's apple's to oranges. And its all in B/W.

Last edited:
I hope you realize what you are doing. This guy absolutely HATES it when you give him FACTS, he will claim he has debunked all of them when he doesn't even try.

Pretty soon he is going to start calling you all sorts of names.

And then you did admit they scored ten or almost ten three times, they did score. lol That alone is enough for him to claim total victory in the discussion.

He has made a few baseless claims in his desire to bring Mike Leach in. But the worst is that he would kill it in recruiting in the SEC. His last 4 classes at Washington St. were led by is number 8 finish in 15 followed by 3 number 9 finishes. He isn't killing it in recruiting in the Pac12 where half the teams don't take recruiting serious, How is he going to kill it in the SEC where it doesn't get anymore cutthroat? His recruiting in the SEC would be a disaster for any team he coached and his results would be much the same. He might be able to beat the weakest couple of teams in the conference the first time through, but the top teams would punish his teams. It's simple to stop, line up in tight man D, disrupt timing and put pressure on the QB. That has destroyed his teams time after time and he would get that 1st time around against UGA, Carolina, UF, Vandy, UT and Bama.

Rutgers was a powerhouse!!! How does Slugger respond if Stoops loses to Rutgers?

I don't get the Purdue/Brohm talk. At least any "negative" talk about his 1st year at Purdue.

Purdue had 1 winning season in the 9 years before Brohm arrived. If comparing his P5 coaching work to Stoops, yes, Brohm had a few years as HC before getting the job. And yes, Purdue did lose on the road to a bad Rutgers team in a game where they more than doubled Rutgers total offense (474 yards to 217) but still could not score more than 1 TD. But I would say going 7-6 in that situation was a helluva coaching job.

If Stoops had a 7 win season in his first year or 2 many here would have been on Cloud 9, expecting 10 win seasons by now. JMO

Peace

Jokers high school talent wasn’t going to beat any SEC football teams,but then again in the big 10,who knows how many?

Reactions: jauk11
I don't get the Purdue/Brohm talk. At least any "negative" talk about his 1st year at Purdue.

Purdue had 1 winning season in the 9 years before Brohm arrived. If comparing his P5 coaching work to Stoops, yes, Brohm had a few years as HC before getting the job. And yes, Purdue did lose on the road to a bad Rutgers team in a game where they more than doubled Rutgers total offense (474 yards to 217) but still could not score more than 1 TD. But I would say going 7-6 in that situation was a helluva coaching job.

If Stoops had a 7 win season in his first year or 2 many here would have been on Cloud 9, expecting 10 win seasons by now. JMO

Peace

I guess he is a decent guy who runs a bad scheme if he wants to be successful in the Big10, he should have jumped on a Big12 gig. But he was lucky enough to be in the western half of the Big10 and missed tOSU, PSU and Mich Sr. But his offense is like every other of its kind, get near the goal line, field compresses, no running game and can't score, see Rutgers. I wouldn't want him at UGA nor him anywhere else in the East division would concern me.

You don’t get it?

Before you parse out some responses, why not respond to the drivel above?
Obviously a little over the top. [winking] But, speaking strictly to offense, based on what we have seen so far in their short HC careers I think we can safely say Brohm is more "offensive oriented" than Stoops. Looking to the future, the Cats have to improve their passing game and Boilers have to improve their run game.

And this thread started out about a defensive player who committed to Purdue?????

Peace

Obviously a little over the top. [winking] But, speaking strictly to offense, based on what we have seen so far in their short HC careers I think we can safely say Brohm is more "offensive oriented" than Stoops. Looking to the future, the Cats have to improve their passing game and Boilers have to improve their run game.

And this thread started out about a defensive player who committed to Purdue?????

Peace
Yep and was used to bash stoops and prop up Brohm as a god. When debunked with fact after fact people reach for other angles. I have my issues with Stoops and would like to see better qb play. I will also admit winning 14 games with Smitty was good coaching.

Peace

Well compare the numbers from last year. Did Brohm score on everyone? No. Did UK score on anyone? Yes.

Tell me. Who had the better QB?

I guess he is a decent guy who runs a bad scheme if he wants to be successful in the Big10, he should have jumped on a Big12 gig. But he was lucky enough to be in the western half of the Big10 and missed tOSU, PSU and Mich Sr. But his offense is like every other of its kind, get near the goal line, field compresses, no running game and can't score, see Rutgers. I wouldn't want him at UGA nor him anywhere else in the East division would concern me.

That’s because you’ve been around SEC ball enough to realize that you can be as cute as you want, but in the end you have to be able to pound the rock (and stop it) to consistently win in the SEC.

The team that runs better wins 80% of the time. Bottom line.

Yes ...sure wish Stoops got to play Ala, Aub, Lsu, Tam, Miss, mst every year we would be SEC champs by now. Just damn lucky the Sece has sucked the last five years. Still 8-20 the last half of the season the last 5 years and that's dropping the 1st year.

Yes ...sure wish Stoops got to play Ala, Aub, Lsu, Tam, Miss, mst every year we would be SEC champs by now. Just damn lucky the Sece has sucked the last five years. Still 8-20 the last half of the season the last 5 years and that's dropping the 1st year.

Neither played in the stronger division, yet that no offense of Mark Stoops and his liking to run the ball outscored the offense of Jeff Brohm's by better than a TD in conference games/ More proof that those pass happy spread offenses are very effective against teams that play some defense Works in Big12 and Pac12 to an extent, doesn't work in Big10 or SEC, history tells you that no matter how much you cheerlead for Mike Leach. I still can't believe you said he would kill it in recruiting in the SEC.

Well compare the numbers from last year. Did Brohm score on everyone? No. Did UK score on anyone? Yes.

Tell me. Who had the better QB?
I'm not sure what you mean with your self answered questions but I would say, based on total offense numbers, UK had better QB play than PU last year.

But I'm not even sure of what we are "discussing".

Brohm took over a bad situation and won 7 games in his first year at the helm. Stoops took over a bad situation and won 7 games in 4th and 5th years. Last year, Purdue had a slightly better offense (403 YPG) than UK (350 YPG). On the year, UK out rushed Purdue by a total of 132 yards. If we are to believe Sagarin Purdue (#42) played a slightly tougher schedule than UK (#61). Will either team improve on last year? I have no idea.

And since UK does not play Purdue, what difference does it make? [winking]

Peace

ADVERTISEMENT