ADVERTISEMENT

Grant NELSON withdraws from Draft, looking for a new team.

Depends on who the freshmen are. You don't promise this guy a starting job over a Terrence Jones or cousins or towns type.

You also have no way of knowing how the guy will do at a real big time college basketball conference, same as the freshmen out of high school.

The freshmen we have got from small schools like this haven't done that well here.
Ideally, I agree with what Calipari says about not promising starting spots and playing time. That would apply to transfers as well as high schoolers. Is Calipari still holding the line on this? Is it still feasible with the freedom players now have? I don’t know.

But I don’t think transfers from smaller colleges and high school players are on equal footing. Transfers have matured, developed, honed skills against vastly better players than the high school kids.

And yes, I agree that there will be some players that become really good as freshmen. I think a lot of freshmen could be good pieces for a team, especially in a learning and supporting role. But absolutely not – in my opinion only – as the players expected to carry the team offensively.

1.7 blk, 6’10 230, that’s adequate size snd rim protection. Don’t care what # you say he is, he can defend most 5’s
Absolutely. If the offense is better than most who play a certain position, and a player can guard the position, then why in the world would you not play a guy “up a position.” The old idea of wanting to play down a position is just the opposite of what would be successful today with the value of the 3pt. shot and the way it impacts defenses.

I remember the infatuation with Bigs being “able” to play PG. But that never made sense to me even then. I mean who cares that a 7’ kid can dribble without tripping over his feet? The question is whether he makes the team better at PG or C.

Nelson wouldn’t be a replacement for Oscar. The two play completely different games. An addition yes maybe a Livingston replacement but if oscar leaves we will need a big physical body still. Nelson would probably play the 3 and 4 with some time at the 5 with small ball lineup.

One other thing. Nelson is going to want to go somewhere to show off his guards skills not play back to the basket.

I didn't say they played the same position, just that if Oscar comes back, Nelson isn't coming here.

Edwards, Oscar, and Bradshaw are going to play 35 MPG each, don't think Nelson is coming here to play 10-15 minutes.

If Oscar leaves, you can bump Bradshaw to a lot more minutes at the 5 if you wanted and it opens up a ton of minutes in that 3/4/5 rotation.

Just because they don't play the same position doesn't mean the two aren't correlated.

I didn't say they played the same position, just that if Oscar comes back, Nelson isn't coming here.

Edwards, Oscar, and Bradshaw are going to play 35 MPG each, don't think Nelson is coming here to play 10-15 minutes.

If Oscar leaves, you can bump Bradshaw to a lot more minutes at the 5 if you wanted and it opens up a ton of minutes in that 3/4/5 rotation.

Just because they don't play the same position doesn't mean the two aren't correlated.

God I hope we aren't having to play starters 35 minutes each. Talk about a disaster waiting to happen with injuries and wearing down by March.

Oscar and Nelson are two completely different players who could coexist nicely. Honestly Nelson would be a nice replacement for Livingston and would be a compliment to oscar 5 and brashaw 4 at the 3 with edwards at the 2. Or rotate him in the front court. He would definitely see starter type minutes in the rotation even with Oscar. And playing oT, Bradshaw, and edwards 35 mpg is unsustainable and won’t happen. 30 mpg for the 3 is probably the sweet spot but I will tell you OT will have to play defense and take some fouls this season or he’s worthless to us. I hope we’ll have the depth for him to play with reckless abandon if he returns. No there’s plenty of minutes to go around if OT returns and Livingston doesn’t.

Even though he was annoying in a lot of ways, I really liked Roy Williams response when asked how he would manage PT and keep everyone happy.

Basically said, "I don't worry about it. It's their job to keep me happy and get playing time"

Roy wouldn't do well in the NIL era. Just IMO. He was a cheating sob but a good coach in his era.

wish this was true, but unfortunately, don't think he gives a crap about the program or the fans, just his 5* kids & the recognition they bring him
Yep we will lose in first round and he'll say it's great to get 4 guys in the first round again like who gaf?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Would love to have Nelson here but Kentucky isn’t going to play the NIL game with anybody
Which makes no sense. They played the "let him quit the team" game with Wheeler and Whitney and others. They played the "let him lie to the fan base" game with Sharpe.

Why all of a sudden is UK trying to be above the ethical standard if they've been so downright dishonest in the last few years?

Pony up the cash and pay these kids. Cal's still trying to redeem his fractured reputation.

Which makes no sense. They played the "let him quit the team" game with Wheeler and Whitney and others. They played the "let him lie to the fan base" game with Sharpe.

Why all of a sudden is UK trying to be above the ethical standard if they've been so downright dishonest in the last few years?

Pony up the cash and pay these kids. Cal's still trying to redeem his fractured reputation.
I don't think Cal can ever recover with BBN at this point. He might recover to a degree but that would require him becoming someone we've never known. I just believe his line of BS has been spent and he's too proud and stubborn to ever change now, which is what is required.

I don't think Cal can ever recover with BBN at this point. He might recover to a degree but that would require him becoming someone we've never known. I just believe his line of BS has been spent and he's too proud and stubborn to ever change now, which is what is required.
People respect a degree of honest humility when appropriate and Cal never shows any. That gets me with Cal. Agree ,he will never recover.

Dickinson was a replacement for Tshiebwe when it appeared at least questionable as to whether he would return. Who else from the transfer portal has UK recruited that would clearly challenge (in a fair competition) one of the freshmen for a starting spot? I don't see why Nelson would come to UK unless he is at least told that he will absolutely be given a fair chance to start. I hope Calipari and staff tell Nelson that very thing.
Nelson will start and play big minutes on this roster. He can play at the 3/4/5. There are plenty of minutes when the roster only has 7 (4 of quality to command 25+ minutes)

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Nelson will start and play big minutes on this roster. He can play at the 3/4/5. There are plenty of minutes when the roster only has 7 (4 of quality to command 25+ minutes)
Agree (mostly). Except he probably wouldn't play any 3 (unless we did return Oscar too).
But honestly I expect he is better (now) than Bradshaw or Onyenso. But with 80 minutes, if just those 3, none of them would be unhappy about their PT (30,26,24).

For those talking about the NIL correct me if I am wrong (which happens a lot ) did UK hire someone to handle all the NIL deals for UK ?

Agree (mostly). Except he probably wouldn't play any 3 (unless we did return Oscar too).
But honestly I expect he is better (now) than Bradshaw or Onyenso. But with 80 minutes, if just those 3, none of them would be unhappy about their PT (30,26,24).
He is better than anyone else on our roster currently. He is better than any of the three who make a decision today. He will play if Calipari chooses to recruit him to the team. The real question is whether Calipari will actively pursue him.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

He’s not coming to join this circus and Cal the ring leader. Some of you are just setting yourself up for more disappointment.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

He’s not coming to join this circus and Cal the ring leader. Some of you are just setting yourself up for more disappointment.
Cal whiffed on Dickinson and Johnson. Hard for me to see him suddenly win this one.

that is the way that it SHOULD be, but ccc has promised all of the minutes to the freshmen, except Sheppard & Ugo. If a real coach was here & didn't have to check with his freshmen, Nelson would be a starter and would be a main focus of the so called offense. Of course a real coach would not have waited until the 24th hour to worry about the roster. He should have gone after Nelson, the kid from Utah Valley & the kids that signed with UT.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
I think this is THE guy we go for, regardless who comes back and who doesn’t. He’s actually a big that can play the 3, with his ball skills. I know he’s a prototypical college 4. Just saying, he can absolutely play on the wing.
been saying this since the 1st time I saw this kid. Big, mobile & can shoot

He is better than anyone else on our roster currently. He is better than any of the three who make a decision today. He will play if Calipari chooses to recruit him to the team. The real question is whether Calipari will actively pursue him.

Based on what?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT