ADVERTISEMENT

Grant NELSON withdraws from Draft, looking for a new team.

wish this was true, but unfortunately, don't think he gives a crap about the program or the fans, just his 5* kids & the recognition they bring him
I like this guy maybe above all others in the portal. 6'10 that can shoot and handle - with quickness and agility of a guard. If he wants to come to UK and Bradshaw wants to go to USC, I happily make that exchange.

I like this guy maybe above all others in the portal. 6'10 that can shoot and handle - with quickness and agility of a guard. If he wants to come to UK and Bradshaw wants to go to USC, I happily make that exchange.

Still won't have a team. Can't be exchanging players at this point in the game.

Reactions: TFCats11
Dickinson was a replacement for Tshiebwe when it appeared at least questionable as to whether he would return. Who else from the transfer portal has UK recruited that would clearly challenge (in a fair competition) one of the freshmen for a starting spot? I don't see why Nelson would come to UK unless he is at least told that he will absolutely be given a fair chance to start. I hope Calipari and staff tell Nelson that very thing.

Last edited:
If Oscar comes back, 0% chance.

If he doesn't come back, then we need to throw every ounce of NIL we can at this kid- he and Bradshaw together would be so fun to watch.

BUT, I am hoping Oscar comes back instead obviously
Nelson wouldn’t be a replacement for Oscar. The two play completely different games. An addition yes maybe a Livingston replacement but if oscar leaves we will need a big physical body still. Nelson would probably play the 3 and 4 with some time at the 5 with small ball lineup.

One other thing. Nelson is going to want to go somewhere to show off his guards skills not play back to the basket.

Dickinson was a replacement for Tshiebwe when it appeared at least questionably as to whether he would return. Who else from the transfer portal has UK recruited that would clearly challenge (in a fair competition) one of the freshmen for a starting spot? I don't see why Nelson would come to UK unless he is at least told that he will absolutely be given a fair chance to start. I hope Calipari and staff tell Nelson that very thing.
considering right now we only have two guys for the 4/5 spots he would get all the minutes he would want

considering right now we only have two guys for the 4/5 spots he would get all the minutes he would want
Well, I hope Nelson would see it that way. But starting matters. It matters to outcomes and it matters to players. So, for example, if Nelson starting at PF gives UK a better chance to win than Bradshaw at PF, then Nelson should be the starting PF. It really should be that simple. And maybe it is. But if it's not that honest and straight up, then no way would I come to UK if I were Nelson regardless of how many potential "minutes" are discussed.

i would not hold my breath waiting on him to pick UK. I think Calipari has screwed up if he promised Bradshaw the starting position.
Look I get the Cal hate on this board and SM, but this is so untrue.

NEVER has Bradshaw said he was promised a starting position. He wants to play the 4, Cal said yes to that. No one has been promised PT.

Grant Nelson, sounds like someone who plays for Miami. Would join the likes of Tim James, Jimmy Graham, Lonnie Walker and Bruce Brown.

I continue to hope I’m wrong but with it going this long, I think Cal will add 2 lower level guys that give the freshmen 4-5 minute breathers in each half. He’s going to live and die with his diaper crew.
I fear you are correct. This sounds about right.

I'll keep beating the drum... Cal's priorities do not include Kentucky winning. It's getting kids to the league. He's said it, yet we somehow refuse to believe it.

Why? he is a top 3 Freshman; at 7 feet
I guess we probably just look at the freshmen differently. Any coach (or fan) should want to put together a team with the best chance to win a title (or at least win as many games as possible), right? There can be fit issues, but generally the best players at the moment are the ones who have the biggest impact on the team winning games. The exposure, NIL possibilities, etc. a player can get at UK should allow UK to get more than their fair share of the best players – which is definitely not the same thing as the highest ranked high school players. As a UK fan I want us to have the best team, and some of the best players; and I don’t think 5-star freshmen are the best players. They may be the most talented, but what they eventually become a few years from now is unimportant if they are only playing one year at UK. I accept that even OAD freshmen can have a role on a title contending team, but I think relying on those type of players to carry a team offensively is like gambling and knowingly taking the worst of it on the odds when it’s not necessary to do so.

would love to have him but i sincerely doubt this will happen. Him coming here automatically bumps Bradshaw to the five. I don’t even know if we’ll even try
This is what I suspect would happen also. But I think that would likely be a good thing for winning more games.

I guess we probably just look at the freshmen differently. Any coach (or fan) should want to put together a team with the best chance to win a title (or at least win as many games as possible), right? There can be fit issues, but generally the best players at the moment are the ones who have the biggest impact on the team winning games. The exposure, NIL possibilities, etc. a player can get at UK should allow UK to get more than their fair share of the best players – which is definitely not the same thing as the highest ranked high school players. As a UK fan I want us to have the best team, and some of the best players; and I don’t think 5-star freshmen are the best players. They may be the most talented, but what they eventually become a few years from now is unimportant if they are only playing one year at UK. I accept that even OAD freshmen can have a role on a title contending team, but I think relying on those type of players to carry a team offensively is like gambling and knowingly taking the worst of it on the odds when it’s not necessary to do so.

Depends on who the freshmen are. You don't promise this guy a starting job over a Terrence Jones or cousins or towns type.

You also have no way of knowing how the guy will do at a real big time college basketball conference, same as the freshmen out of high school.

The freshmen we have got from small schools like this haven't done that well here.

Reactions: G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT