ADVERTISEMENT

Goodman says Drew will be first (and likely only) call

Drew would be an epic fail. Don’t do it Mitch.

EDIT: I don't think he would be an epic failure (compared to what we have been through). As long as he can retain and develop players, put the program first and break the NBA farm team routine, I'm good. I don't know a whole lot about his coaching style and he wasn't my first choice, but surely he is way better in terms of X's and O's coaching effectiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Sorry but if Scott Drew is really the first and only call, Mitch needs to be fired.

Sure, Scott Drew won a title. Sure he can recruit. What has he done? He had a similar year at Baylor as Kentucky did.

Not an exciting hire.

Exciting Hires = Dan Hurley, Nate Oats.

Hell, most fans would rather have Rick Pitino back over Drew.

Drew is not the home run everyone wants. Of course those home runs aren’t really available.

Just be over the moon that Cal is gone abd whoever the next coach is it will finally be all about Kentucky again and I won’t have to go wash my hands every time I type NBA

Hey at least Drew plays some zone. So there’s that.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Not sure how I feel about this. College basketball is a totally different world from when Billy was in it.
People are forgetting how Donovan ended his tenure at Florida. Five of his last eight seasons he had double digit losses and went 16-17 his final year. You can very easily make the argument he caught lightening in a bottle with the Noah, Horford, Brewer class and outside of that had limited success.

No, but you will definitely never see him win another one. He won during the Covid year when all the blue bloods were down. Would much rather have Cal in this scenario.
Are you saying that Baylor team wasn’t good??? Ridiculous take if so

Please no Tony Bennett. I'm already getting older....I don't need to watch a game to put me to sleep.

Pilgrim also said that Hurley WILL listen, and was strongly hinting that he has heard he is interested. Was begging Mitch to hold off until after the final and make the call to DH.

So we finally get rid of Cal only to hire a guy just like him?Shoot me now.

Exactly. Losing cal to hire a knockoff version of the same thing.

Just from reading the tea leaves, you almost know that's where it's heading. Mitch and Scott are tight. Plus Scott waited all along just for this.

Another sh1t hire on his way out the door.

Jeff Goodman just said on his live video that Scott Drew will be the first and likely only call Mitch makes and will be the hire
That hire would ensure the fan base stays divided.

Decent coach, but nasty personality. He would suck at the PR part of the job.

People are forgetting how Donovan ended his tenure at Florida. Five of his last eight seasons he had double digit losses and went 16-17 his final year. You can very easily make the argument he caught lightening in a bottle with the Noah, Horford, Brewer class and outside of that had limited success.
Yes but four of those last 5 he was in the Elite 8 and got back to the Final Four. I think Donovan was flirting a lot with the NBA his last season there and was checked out. And flirting with Orlando probably hurt his recruiting after those titles.

Do any of you realize what he took over at Baylor?

He won a title at Baylor. Read that again.
That doesn’t translate to our program. This isn’t a rebuild and he hasn’t done much outside that virus title. This is a a top tier program that needs excitement in the fanbase. Scott drew doesn’t excite many folks around here. He has a title so he’s content. We don’t hire championship coaches, UK makes them. The name on the front makes them.

Not sure how I feel about this. College basketball is a totally different world from when Billy was in it.

Yes, its more like the NBA! Whether its Donovan or someone else, NBA ties can help keep that level of player coming here whether thru the portal or high school. And while I think we all have tired over this 100% churn rate of late, you still ballers to compete for titles.

Yet I literally watched Goodman say in the Field of 68 After Dark video that where Jeff stated he did not see Drew coming here with his family situation to not uproot them. Stating with a daughter in high school, 2 sons plus a legacy already in place there. Made every reason for him to not come here.

Reactions: TM2013
He also had another F4 early in his tenure.

Goodman has also mentioned a ton of other names and also talked about Scott drew not possible mixing with Kentucky in a fish bowl. Somebody needs to tell Mitch to wake up. Go get Nate oats
He said he didn't think we would be willing to pay Oats buyout, which is 17 million.

drew is good coach but his teams just aren’t tough enough year in and year out. pitino, smith, gillispie, even cal’s early teams - at the end of the day, and at the very least, you always got good defense. i think we need that at the base of whatever system or philosophy we’re going to see next. it wins.

uconn is smothering people and probably going to smother purdue, and cut down the nets again. i just think of the jolt to rupp arena if someone like pitino got a bunch of hungry portal players hounding teams up and down the floor. the place would be rocking again. every night. we need to be excited every game, not just a couple days after a press conference.

other than an instant and/or temporary move though, you got to start taking guys like oates more seriously. they’re not awesome defensively, but they play a modern style. he stays on the refs, he can produce good sets, and he’s hungry. that checks a few boxes. you just call the home runs first, regardless. donovan, wright, stevens etc.

I agree with Goodman - that’s Mitch’s boy
I heard they attended church retreats together. If we know anything about Mitch it’s he puts his faith before his head. I agree he will contact no one else. That’s not who I want. Hurley or Donovan would be my choices.

Hurley 5 year 75 million

Do this, add some actual incentives so he can't just coast (like Cal).. and at the very least, make Uconn pull out the checkbook. If Uconn is going to have the best coach in the game, at least make them pay for it.

List: hurley (extreme long shot
2. Oats- clear choice that is attainable
3. Donavon or drew
4. Pearl

Oats is laughable....a risk or reward offense that will fail in crunch time, not to mention an equivalent defensive strategy of Cal (hope they miss)

Oats is laughable....a risk or reward offense that will fail in crunch time, not to mention an equivalent defensive strategy of Cal (hope they miss)
Just made a final four, and at bama has had good defenses. Oats is only gonna get better, but yeah he is hit or miss. Oats is the clear 1B choice and Kentucky would be reallly fortunate if they can get him

Exactly. Don’t even think about the Scott drew and Bruce pearls of the world until these 3 tell you no
Hurley to UK probably gets Reed to come back and might even still entice Dybantsa to come here since it looks like a UConn/USC/Calipari battle for the kid.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT