ADVERTISEMENT

Goodman calling for Cal/UK to part ways

Im calling for Goodman to remove the marbles from his mouth!
I'm calling for you to remove the marbles from your brain. I've been on this board 15 years and still can't tell if you're a troll or just immature and dumb.

No one likes Goodman, but he is without a doubt right on this one. Anyone defending our coach doesn't love our program. The coach is destroying the program, can't have that happen. Time for changes

He’s right, but it won’t change anything. It wouldn’t matter if every talking head pointed out the obvious. Cal’s going to get one more year because of the #1 recruiting class. Then he will massively underachieve again, and be bought out.

The only, and I mean ONLY way Cal redeems himself at this point is to reach the FF next season, at bare minimum. Fans are checked out. After all the years of wasted talent, they won’t accept anything less. And I hope to God that if that miracle happens, he will have the sense to step aside while he’s ahead.

The only, and I mean ONLY way Cal redeems himself at this point is to reach the FF next season, at bare minimum. Fans are checked out. After all the years of wasted talent, they won’t accept anything less. And I hope to God that if that miracle happens, he will have the sense to step aside while he’s ahahead.
But I think it would just be a bandaid. And we're talking IF the entire class comes, and IF they are as good as advertised, and IF there is good team chemistry, and IF John Calipari can coach them. And then IF all that happened and the stars aligned, what happens when he comes back to good but not overwhelming talent. Just rip this bandaid off. Stop delaying the inevitable. Time for a change.

I don't think this is the career path for Hansbro. He needs to find another line of work

He’s right , tho. The best gig cal would get on the open market right now would be a 4-5 yr deal at 3-5 million , maybe at a St John , Georgetown or Ga Tech …all looking for relevancy and a shot in the arm. That’s $25 million max . He’s owed over $40 M here , so he isn’t ( nor would anyone on this board ) walking away with > $15 million left on the table unless there’s some sort of mutual separation agreement . That’s unlikely for UK , because they’d be looking at potentially paying a buyout for the next guy , plus ~ $7 million per year for him …and don’t forget assistant coaches money owed . No way UK stays on the hook in an offset agreement for Cal’s $15 million offset plus paying the new guy , paying a buyout , and paying the assistant‘s buyout

Goodman hated UK before Cal arrived. He’s doubled up on his UK hate because he also hates Cal. Whatever he opines about UK is of no interest to me. He has no credibility because his personal UK/Cal animus overwhelms what should be his professional judgment. He’s irrelevant when it comes to sports journalism

Goodman hated UK before Cal arrived. He’s doubled up on his UK hate because he also hates Cal. Whatever he opines about UK is of no interest to me. He has no credibility because his personal UK/Cal animus overwhelms what should be his professional judgment. He’s irrelevant when it comes to sports journalism
When even Kyle Tucker is turning on Cal you know we have a problem.

That still doesn't make what he said false.

This is only the beginning. Eventually this is going to get loud enough that Cal will not be able to escape it.
Winning fixes things, but I think we have seen enough at this point to know Cal isn't turning this around and I don't trust him to do anything with a bunch of NBA potential HS kids.
I don't care if we lose the recruiting class, it's worth it to get Cal out of here.

But I think it would just be a bandaid. And we're talking IF the entire class comes, and IF they are as good as advertised, and IF there is good team chemistry, and IF John Calipari can coach them. And then IF all that happened and the stars aligned, what happens when he comes back to good but not overwhelming talent. Just rip this bandaid off. Stop delaying the inevitable. Time for a change.

I can’t disagree with anything you said. I too feel that the bandaid should just be ripped off. I want UK basketball to be fun again.

Having said that… a FF is a major accomplishment. Think of how many coaches people are lusting after right now who have never even sniffed one.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Not a Goodman fan but sometimes he's right. He's right on this. It's time for Cal to move on. Better for him and better for UK. Most things end badly or they wouldn't end. This is ending badly.
He’s not right. You don’t run off a HOF coach who has a 77% win percentage. 10 out of the 13 seasons are 25 or more wins. Two of those seasons are 38 wins. Cal has the most NCAA 38 win seasons in the history of the men’s NCAA. He has a title and multiple FF’s and EE’s. If UK or the fanbase were to run Cal off at this point it would deter any good coach having aspirations of even coming here. I personally wouldn’t blame them. We more than likely end up with another BCG situation. That alone proved UK is not immune to bad hires.

He’s not right. You don’t run off a HOF coach who has a 77% win percentage. 10 out of the 13 seasons are 25 or more wins. Two of those seasons are 38 wins. Cal has the most NCAA 38 win seasons in the history of the men’s NCAA. He has a title and multiple FF’s and EE’s. If UK or the fanbase were to run Cal off at this point it would deter any good coach having aspirations of even coming here. I personally wouldn’t blame them. We more than likely end up with another BCG situation. That alone proved UK is not immune to bad hires.
We are currently in a BCG situation. We will have gone 4 or 5 years without an NCAA tourny win.

Do you think a new coach may go 9-16 or take us to the NIT?

Reactions: kywildcat41086
only the people that think Cal should stay have credibility to you?

Do you think a new coach may go 9-16 or take us to the NIT?
Best scenario is bring this class in , Cal announces in December it’s his last year , and UK makes a decent NCAA run. Gives UK a year to prepare for life without …as in its roster for ‘24 and a new coach . If he leaves this April , next yr would be bad unnecessarily….by that I mean you have studs committed …let’s use them their one and done year , plus prepare for the future. Keep in mind , 75% of this roster will leave also.

We are currently in a BCG situation. We will have gone 4 or 5 years without an NCAA tourny win.
It’s actually been two years, but don’t let facts get in the way. 2020 doesn’t even count. The last tournament win was in 2019 and we went to the EE.

Best scenario is bring this class in , Cal announces in December it’s his last year , and UK makes a decent NCAA run. Gives UK a year to prepare for life without …as in its roster for ‘24 and a new coach . If he leaves this April , next yr would be bad unnecessarily….by that I mean you have studs committed …let’s use them their one and done year , plus prepare for the future. Keep in mind , 75% of this roster will leave also.
You still believe a bunch of HS kids are going to do anything at this level?
You think what you're seeing out of Cal right now, is something that is capable of winning with said freshmen?
I predict it will take two games before we all start saying "well, these guys were obviously overrated"
Something is amiss with Cal and a bunch of HS kids aren't going to fix him.

That still doesn't make what he said false.
I didn’t say it did. I said whatever Goodman spouts off is irrelevant to me because of his unabashed bias against UK. His comments add nothing to the serious debate about UK basketball’s current malaise. In this instance, Goodman is like the proverbial blind hog who finds an acorn every once in awhile. The fact Goodman says something (of course negative about Cal) that mirrors what others have been ranting about on this board for years is totally irrelevant, unimportant, unworthy and void of any persuasion . He’s a mere troll when it comes to covering UK.

Last edited:
You still believe a bunch of HS kids are going to do anything at this level?
You think what you're seeing out of Cal right now, is something that is capable of winning with said freshmen?
I predict it will take two games before we all start saying "well, these guys were obviously overrated"
Something is amiss with Cal and a bunch of HS kids aren't going to fix him.
It would be better than a Louisville type situation, where there’s just no one . It‘d be a tough situation if you lose your roster AND your recruits . There’s no precedent for a coach leaving with a #1 recruiting class signed ..,,I’m talking about a best scenario for UK . A year to put something together

I agree that UK can’t really fire Cal. Nor are they going too.

But it’s time for Cal to call it a day here.

Nor am I one to fear the future. While BCG wasn’t right for UK he was a needed improvement from Tubby.

It became quickly apparent that it wasn’t a proper long term fix. So he was shown the door.

Cal has lost the fan base. And that’s coming from a Cal fan.

I wish it wasn’t this way. I wish we weren’t having these discussions.

But just as it was time for Joe B to go when he left, it’s that time for Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT