ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga's Recruiting

MWes11

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2012
Locked up the #1 overall seed in the tourney this year and they are the favorite to cut down the nets. We have seen this story with them before, but it feels different this year. They got Suggs last year and now are the prohibitive favorites for consensus #1 player Chet Holmgren and #6 Hunter Sallis.

Can't see their run ending anytime soon with the shit conference they play in and the recent uptick in recruiting.

I believe Few is a life long Zags coach, but would be nice to pry him away somehow if Cal were to ever leave.

Locked up the #1 overall seed in the tourney this year and they are the favorite to cut down the nets. We have seen this story with them before, but it feels different this year. They got Suggs last year and now are the prohibitive favorites for consensus #1 player Chet Holmgren and #6 Hunter Sallis.

Can't see their run ending anytime soon with the shit conference they play in and the recent uptick in recruiting.

I believe Few is a life long Zags coach, but would be nice to pry him away somehow if Cal were to ever leave.
They badly need to move to a power conference. Whether it be the Pac 12, Little 12 or any power conference. Until then, their regular season records are counterfeit IMO.

They badly need to move to a power conference. Whether it be the Pac 12, Little 12 or any power conference. Until then, their regular season records are counterfeit IMO.

In CBB, I don't think it matters that much. Other than a big conference TV deal, there is no reason for then to move because of the sizable post season tournament that lets nearly any decent team into the field.

Plus, a lot of mid major programs are decidedly better than bottom feeder schools from the CFB-designed "P5" conferences.

Finally, our recent early-season mis-steps (Evansville, Richmond, etc) are providing proof of greater parity in CBB D1.

GBB !

In CBB, I don't think it matters that much. Other than a big conference TV deal, there is no reason for then to move because of the sizable post season tournament that lets nearly any decent team into the field.

Plus, a lot of mid major programs are decidedly better than bottom feeder schools from the CFB-designed "P5" conferences.

Finally, our recent early-season mis-steps (Evansville, Richmond, etc) are providing proof of greater parity in CBB D1.

GBB !
I somewhat agree and somewhat don’t. I think that their weak competition really hurts them come tourney time. I just don’t think their conference is anywhere near a power conference.

I somewhat agree and somewhat don’t. I think that their weak competition really hurts them come tourney time. I just don’t think their conference is anywhere near a power conference.
You make a good point. A higher quantity of tough-guy opponents can make a team more resilient--old school Big East conference comes to mind.

GBB!

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Problem is they won't because as long as they are in the news for hammering most in their conference and then like this year beating a few good teams out of conference and number one seed is almost always guaranteed. A 2 seed and possible 1 without the out of conference schedule because people now like them. Their popularity is growing.

Do they play football?
I don't think there are any schools in P5 that don't have football.
Big East would be a good fit if not for geography.

Reactions: STL_Cat
There is really no indication playing in a weak conference hurts them or anyone.

Gonzaga typically plays to their seeding in the tournament. They usually do what they are expected to do.

That fact seems to always be overlooked on this board in the race to say Gonzaga choked. The one year where that would apply was the Olynyk year where they were a 1 seed and lost in the 2nd round.

If they have success where they are, why do they need to move to a different conference? Nobody thought UNLV had to move out of the Big West in the 80's and 90's.

A Power 5 conference will never happen because they don't have football. Big East is definitely the best fit from a basketball standpoint. Gonzaga is a fellow catholic school that would fit right in. Travel would be ridiculous though. They almost left for the Mountain West Conference a few years ago and decided to stay put.

Overall, there is no reason for them to move. They have had success in the NCAA Tournament, they are getting big time recruits and they are on the doorstep of winning it all. And that's not going away.

They don't have an avenue to do that because they don't have a football program. Football drives the train for the P5 conferences. The Big East? Their nearest conference rival would be Creighton, which is nearly 1,400 miles away. Staying in the WCC is pretty much all they can do, but it's worked out quite nicely for them so far.

They don't have an avenue to do that because they don't have a football program. Football drives the train for the P5 conferences. The Big East? Their nearest conference rival would be Creighton, which is nearly 1,400 miles away. Staying in the WCC is pretty much all they can do, but it's worked out quite nicely for them so far.
Never thought about football. Still, their overall weak conference competition hurts them in the tourney every year. Every single year.

GBB !
Definitely agree on the parity point and have for some time. These kids now process through the AAU circuits - have better coaching and competition throughout - see each other's game. Peak/develop as players at different times

I do think though, that a steady diet of cupcakes does not help them in the long run. I think it will be in a bit of a shock (not that Few cannot prepare them as best possible - or coach them through it) when they actually experience the speed, length, athleticism of a Baylor or Illinois. Zags best is that they are very skilled - very well coached and "athletic enough" in most situations. The rub for me in a soft fat schedule is a team this season like Baylor that is "skilled enough" but super athletic. Baylor is the type of team, this season, that Cal always hopes for - one that can overwhelm you in a myriad of ways. Didn't happen this season.

And no - I do not want Scott Drew as a coach - at all. The stars aligned for them this crazy season.

Zags will still be a tough out - but soft schedule - protected in conference - I just still cant see it happening unless the match ups work out for them. Like a Baylor gets upset by a hot shooting Bama - then a less athletic Bama cant make shots vs Zags. That type scenario that clears the field for the Zags.

Never thought about football. Still, their overall weak conference competition hurts them in the tourney every year. Every single year.
Well except for the fact that the complete opposite is true. They play to or over their seed in the tourney almost every single year.

How does playing weaker competition for 3 months make a team play better in the NCAA tourney? Their inflated win-loss record hasn't correlated well up to this point to their success in the NCAA tourney.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Maybe Few is looking to go more to the one and done version. It looks like the model that many on here have asked of Cal. A one and done to go with an experienced roster. Suggs this year. Holmgren and Sallis next year.

Well of course. Consistent, quality competition matters. They literally play cupcakes for three solid months. How does that help them?!
Isn't BYU ranked and St. Mary's usually is. And Virginia has lost to two WCC teams this season. the rest of the teams save for Pepperdine or LMU occasionally, I'll give you. But the Zags can't choose their conference, so they crush it in ooc.

How does playing weaker competition for 3 months make a team play better in the NCAA tourney? Their inflated win-loss record hasn't correlated well up to this point to their success in the NCAA tourney.
I don't think anyone here argued that it makes them "play better" in the tourney, but many of us have pointed out that your point that it hurts them is factually inaccurate.

Reactions: wentzel25
On a related note, this stat line is utterly absurd:

Minnehaha Academy Boys Basketball
@Minnehaha_BBall
·
11h
Good win tonight over Mpls North. The 2021 Naismith High School Player of the Year
@ChetHolmgren
lead the way w/ 21pts 17reb 10blk 8ast & 0 turnovers

Reactions: KyFaninNC
So far, Gozanga has been exposed year in and year out in the NCAA tourney once they are forced to consistently play competitive teams. All they have to do is just be pretty good to dominate their conference but once they play the big boys in the NCAA tourney, they get exposed...Their NCAA record does not lie...

So far, Gozanga has been exposed year in and year out in the NCAA tourney once they are forced to consistently play competitive teams. All they have to do is just be pretty good to dominate their conference but once they play the big boys in the NCAA tourney, they get exposed...Their NCAA record does not lie...

That’s just stupid thinking. In the 2019 tournament they won 2 games against power 5 teams and lost 1. So were they only exposed against the team they lost to and somehow overcame this exposure in the 2 games that they won?

They haven't been "exposed" at all tho.

They play pretty much to the level of their seeding which suggests they are accurate with the seed given to them.

Reactions: michael895
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT