ADVERTISEMENT

Global Climate Changes

No it’s whether or not we’re speeding up the warming, which is an important distinction. That’s my understanding anyway.
Ok given that, how can we accurately measure such a thing? Any honest scientist will acquiesce the climate is always changing. So how is it possible to measure man’s effect other than to guess?

How many times do you see an article about a discovery that completely changes man kinds understanding of something? I just read one a few weeks ago about the cosmos. So who’s to say we understand even a fraction of the variables affecting climate?

The dumbest part of mankind is we think we know far more than we do, and worse, we think we can control it. It’s hubris to the highest degree. There are so many things we think we know that will one day prove to be completely false.

In other words, I don’t think we have anything remotely close to a clear understanding what affects our planet and the climate. Given that, I don’t want to give all money and power to a political party that continues to lie and pretend they know things they don’t.

Ok given that, how can we accurately measure such a thing? Any honest scientist will acquiesce the climate is always changing. So how is it possible to measure man’s effect other than to guess?

How many times do you see an article about a discovery that completely changes man kinds understanding of something? I just read one a few weeks ago about the cosmos. So who’s to say we understand even a fraction of the variables affecting climate?

The dumbest part of mankind is we think we know far more than we do, and worse, we think we can control it. It’s hubris to the highest degree. There are so many things we think we know that will one day prove to be completely false.

In other words, I don’t think we have anything remotely close to a clear understanding what affects our planet and the climate. Given that, I don’t want to give all money and power to a political party that continues to lie and pretend they know things they don’t.

I think that’s a fair point and you maybe absolutely right. Earth, imo, is anything but stable. Humans have been around for one of the most stable times (and dinosaurs, allowing them to get so large). At the end of the day I guess you have to either agree or disagree that pumping millions of pounds of coal or gas or carbon dioxide or dumping chemicals or whatever it is may be might make our environment worse for us, even potentially significantly worse for us, or not. I can see why someone would think it would make things worse.

I think that’s a fair point and you maybe absolutely right. Earth, imo, is anything but stable. Humans have been around for one of the most stable times (and dinosaurs, allowing them to get so large). At the end of the day I guess you have to either agree or disagree that pumping millions of pounds of coal or gas or carbon dioxide or dumping chemicals or whatever it is may be might make our environment worse for us, even potentially significantly worse for us, or not. I can see why someone would think it would make things worse.
I can also understand why someone may think that, and I wouldn’t necessarily argue they’re totally wrong as my whole premise is “no one really knows”.

I will say it’s not a “crises” as they’ve been claiming for well over 100 years now. Is it something we need to improve on? Of course. Do we need to change our way of life with technology that is to this point, not sustainable? Absolutely not. It needs to be done logically and in a sustainable way. The emotion needs to be removed from the decision making process, which is difficult when politicians continue to lie and use the word “crises”.

The last thing I’ll leave you with is the fact that every predicted climate catastrophe in our documented history has not come true…Not one.

Not a good track record to start basing entire gov’t policy.

Last edited:
Thinking about it, this topic should be a case study as to why we need liberals and conservatives involved in the decision making process.

Liberals are correct in their push for cleaner and better energy, while conservatives are correct in their thinking it can’t be done in a day. Working together over time, great things could happen.

A liberal acts more on emotion and is prone to making rash decisions without fully considering the consequences. Typically ends poorly. A conservative is the opposite and resists change. Also a losing strategy.

These two forces opposing each other in a rational way tend to yield slow, but positive results.

In today’s world where the other side is Hitler, not a damn thing good will happen. Sad to see.

Reactions: PhDcat2018
Thinking about it, this topic should be a case study as to why we need liberals and conservatives involved in the decision making process.

Liberals are correct in their push for cleaner and better energy, while conservatives are correct in their thinking it can’t be done in a day. Working together over time, great things could happen.

A liberal acts more on emotion and is prone to making rash decisions without fully considering the consequences. Typically ends poorly. A conservative is the opposite and resists change. Also a losing strategy.

These two forces opposing each other in a rational way tend to yield slow, but positive results.

In today’s world where the other side is Hitler, not a damn thing good will happen. Sad to see.
I posted this before but got very little response from the chicken little crowd. Worth another shot I guess. The fact is we contribute very, very little to the overall levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. Add that 400 or even 500ppm is not proven to be negative to plant life, climate or anything else and you have yourself a quandary. Harmful levels of CO2 are around 5000ppm with 30,000ppm being risky, 40,000ppm being immediately dangerous. Net net, we are a long ass ways away from being an impact to anything.

Amount of CO2 in the atmosphere currently (400ppm)0.0004
Human caused CO2 (3.2%) 0.032
Total0.0000128
US Caused CO2 (21%)0.210.000002688

Causes and Impact of US Caused CO2
Breakout of US Caused CO2 by Source% of US CO2Resulting % of total Human Caused CO2Total Global CO2 by SourceTotal Global CO2 by Source as %
Transportation (28%)0.280.05880.00000015805440.000016%
Electric Power (25%)0.250.05250.00000014112000.000014%
Industry (23%)0.230.04830.00000012983040.000013%
Agriculture (10%)0.10.0210.00000005644800.000006%
Commercial & Residential (13%)0.130.02730.00000007338240.000007%

So if every single car, bus, boat, plane, train, etc in the US was 100% carbon neutral they would improve the overall atmosphere by 0.0000001580544 parts per hundred or .000016%. Help me understand where it makes sense to spend the money we are spending? Any rate of change in CO2 is driven by earth itself at a much higher rate than human cause.

What? I’m just shooting the shit casually talking, I haven’t looked into and don’t really care that much about it tbh. I dont try and use too much mental resources on things I have almost no control over. Are you saying you’ve passionately studied it? If so go ahead and let me know the real truth, as I actually would be interested.

Also there was this program called the history of earth on Netflix (I think that’s what it was called). I thought it was absolutely fantastic, had me hooked. Would highly recommend a watch.
Not something I have passionately studied, which is why I labeled it an additional question to the ones you asked. Because it is an important and expensive question, monetarily and in other ways, I would not offer a flippant response. But, my default is that if someone wants to spend a lot of money and limit a lot of freedoms, they hold the burden of proof.

Reactions: sefus12 and Mdnerd

I hate the two party system, I just don’t think you can accurately represent people with just two parties and it’s too easy to just get the fringe extremes. I agree with certain “liberal” and “conservative” issues and find myself voting with who I disagree with less vs who I agree with more.

Reactions: Catemus
Oh. Didnt you know that you can cut an old tree in half and tell from a ring what the temperature on any given day was. Also what time of day the temp was. Same from ice cores. You can tell on April 15, 1675 that the earth was 56 deg in that very spot.

That read is good - Michael Mann reads tree rings like Taro Cards!1

Of all the anti climate change arguments being made in this thread, the one I have the hardest time getting my head around is "It will destroy our economy"

Right now, Kentucky has just announced a six billion dollar electric battery plant in Hardin County, and a two billion dollar plant in Bowling Green, I have clients who have signed leases for their land paying hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to build solar farms, Tesla is one of the world's most valuable companies. Not seeing a reign of destruction here.

Further, we built the railroads in the 1800s transforming this country, then built airports in the 20th century that transformed the country, then invested untold billions in building the interstates that created another incredible transformation.

But slowly and methodically phasing out fossil fuels and transitioning to renewable energy (and I would include nuclear in this equation) is going to completely destroy economic life in America? Not buying it. That is just fear mongering from the far right.

Transition can't be overnight, that is equally crazy talk from the far left extremists, fossil fuels have to be a part of the equation for the rest of my lifetime at least, maybe for another century, who knows.

Did you see how Tesla's handled fla hurricanes or current cold weather? Sounds like Beverly Hills is the place to be.

This article is a good one for you @Kingseve1. EVs are more than a third more expensive and resale is a massive problem. No one wants to buy a used EV not knowing how much life the battery has, which contributes heavily to very low residual value.

The bottom line is we had a bit of a wave due to a massive gov’t push and propaganda, but reality is setting in. EVs are not a good alternative yet and people as well as dealerships are catching on to that very quickly.

This article is a good one for you @Kingseve1. EVs are more than a third more expensive and resale is a massive problem. No one wants to buy a used EV not knowing how much life the battery has, which contributes heavily to very low residual value.

The bottom line is we had a bit of a wave due to a massive gov’t push and propaganda, but reality is setting in. EVs are not a good alternative yet and people as well as dealerships are catching on to that very quickly.

Resale. I admit I never thought about the inability to re-sell the car. You pay a luxury car price and it depreciates to near nothing. If you buy a luxury gas field vehicle, that is not the case.

Resale. I admit I never thought about the inability to re-sell the car. You pay a luxury car price and it depreciates to near nothing. If you buy a luxury gas field vehicle, that is not the case.

Big reason I just bought a truck. Those things hold value forever.

I was actually looking hard at a Tesla, but the price for what I wanted was crazy. So I considered a used one, but had major anxiety because of unknown battery life. Now that may not be rooted in reality as I honestly have no idea how long those batteries will go, but it’s an extremely common fear. It’s also impossible to know how the previous owner treated that thing, which can greatly affect the battery.

I was actually looking hard at a Tesla, but the price for what I wanted was crazy. So I considered a used one, but had major anxiety because of unknown battery life. Now that may not be rooted in reality as I honestly have no idea how long those batteries will go, but it’s an extremely common fear. It’s also impossible to know how the previous owner treated that thing, which can greatly affect the battery.

Did quite a bit of research and found hybrids are the best way. Toyota has been building hybrids for 25 years and have a battery and drive train warranty 125,000 mi. Just bought a Toyota Crown Max - front and rear electric motors and a small 4 cyl. 16 valve turbo that keeps the battery charged and reallocates power to front and rear when gas pedal is mashed down. Has 345 up and gets 30 mpg. The non max version gets 40 mph. This version comes out of Lexas tech. The car does not have a charge port.
Tesla was successful as a niche product but they will killed with gov. bailing out their competitors.

I read on average that battery life in EVs vary from 10-20 years. That is a very broad range and would make one think that they really are not sure about them.

I read on average that battery life in EVs vary from 10-20 years. That is a very broad range and would make one think that they really are not sure about them.
I wouldn’t touch that. Buying a 3 year old car has potentially used up 30% of its life. I drove my last car for 12 years and it was still going strong when I sold it.

A gas car MIGHT have a significant issue, but an EV DEFINITELY does.

Did quite a bit of research and found hybrids are the best way. Toyota has been building hybrids for 25 years and have a battery and drive train warranty 125,000 mi. Just bought a Toyota Crown Max - front and rear electric motors and a small 4 cyl. 16 valve turbo that keeps the battery charged and reallocates power to front and rear when gas pedal is mashed down. Has 345 up and gets 30 mpg. The non max version gets 40 mph. This version comes out of Lexas tech. The car does not have a charge port.
Tesla was successful as a niche product but they will killed with gov. bailing out their competitors.
Hybrid is where the gov’t should have poured all of their resources. Easier to produce, reliable, long lasting, and affordable. Its gross negligence going straight to EV and bypassing a proven and reliable technology.

It would have also had a MUCH larger impact on emissions based the fact far far more people will buy them vs an EV.

I think hybrid is the future based on market demand and technology. EV is pie in the sky stupidity pushed by out of touch gov’t.

Hybrid is where the gov’t should have poured all of their resources. Easier to produce, reliable, long lasting, and affordable. Its gross negligence going straight to EV and bypassing a proven and reliable technology.

It would have also had a MUCH larger impact on emissions based the fact far far more people will buy them vs an EV.

I think hybrid is the future based on market demand and technology. EV is pie in the sky stupidity pushed by out of touch gov’t.
Agree, I actually had a hybrid to use for my last government job and liked it. Did some traveling with it for the job and it performed quite well.

So many lies about something people claim is obvious. Why do they feel the need? This is, of course, pathological. If you promoted this as support for your positions, please apologize. Because, your over zealousness is sparking these nuts.

Reactions: WTF Cat
Bad news, tires, made from oil, wear about 20-50% faster than the typical wear on gas burning cars. Changing EV tires at just 8,000 to 10,000 miles happens. Tires may create more particle pollution than exhaust on a gas fueled car.

Save the planet! Drive with gas!!!

Bad news, tires, made from oil, wear about 20-50% faster than the typical wear on gas burning cars. Changing EV tires at just 8,000 to 10,000 miles happens. Tires may create more particle pollution than exhaust on a gas fueled car.

Save the planet! Drive with gas!!!
And this may also be a little telling. The level of 1000 PPM CO2 is very close to the optimum level of CO2 required, given no other limiting factor, 1200 PPM, to allow a plant to photosynthesis at the maximum rate. 30000ppm to start to be an impact to humans, 40000 to cause death. We are at 380ppm. Such a farce. Now coffee is the new culprit, good god would someone use some damn sense.

.climate change greenhouse gasses global warming man made
Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

“There are signs showing that the AMOC has collapsed in the past, but when and how it will change in the future is still uncertain, said U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration oceanographer Wei Cheng, who wasn’t part of the research.”

9bb8b02224e1529a39655526b504bc75.jpg

Watched this new doc with Alex Honnald (Free Solo guy). Arctic Ascent With Alex Honnold.

They mixed his next climb in Greenland with doing climate research along the way. Depending on where you fall with CC, it's leaned more towards being a little OTP towards the CC activist. But, it's pretty awesome and it gives you a better idea of the size and scale of these glaciers. The scenery is phenomenal.

Good read on the energy issues, here is big quote
Bloomberg Philanthropies wants to shut down 40% of all the power generation in the U.S. in just five years. That’s about 1,800 terawatt-hours per year, or roughly the electricity used by nine states.

Reactions: entropy13
Good read on the energy issues, here is big quote
Bloomberg Philanthropies wants to shut down 40% of all the power generation in the U.S. in just five years. That’s about 1,800 terawatt-hours per year, or roughly the electricity used by nine states.
This is why human civilizations never last. They crescendo and become self destructive. We are literally our own worst enemy and too stupid to see it.

Progressive = progressing back to the dark ages

I am happy to see the Sierra Nevada get dumped on with snow. Should help with lower portion of the Colorado river, drought, wild fires etc.

Are there any technological reasons why we don’t have nuclear powered desalinization plants supplying water to CA?

Is it just global warming anti nuclear power nuts stopping it? Or is it not technologically possible at this point?

At what point do we add this to the incredibly long list of failed predictions by climate alarmists?

🤣 good for you. So when the average temp drops, does that mean climate change is over? I mean, it’s not like it’s ever fluctuated…

Also I didn’t bother reading those articles, but I can guarantee you this year was not the warmest ever. Despite the fact we can’t actually measure that with any degree of accuracy, we haven’t been able to even do that for very long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT