ADVERTISEMENT

Givony; UK trio 1 of biggest stories of NBA Combine

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida

Some of the biggest storylines we'll be tracking​

Oscar Tshiebwe, Chris Livingstonand Antonio Reeves, Kentucky

This is a make or break year in Lexington, as we're going on five years since the Wildcats advanced out of the first weekend of the NCAA tournament, something that hasn't happened since World War II. With the No. 1 recruiting class incoming, expectations will be sky-high, but there are reasons to be skeptical about their highly touted prospects' ability to mesh on both ends of the floor and play winning basketball in a college landscape that clearly favors older, more physical and experienced players than what Kentucky has currently on its roster.

Bringing back the likes of Tshiebwe, Livingston and Reeves would be huge for coach John Calipari to soften the blow of losing Sahvir Wheeler, CJ Fredrick, Daimion Collins and Lance Ware to the transfer portal, as well as Cason Wallace and Jacob Toppin to the NBA draft. The question is how happy will centers Ugonna Onyenso and Aaron Bradshaw be with a potential All-American in Tshiebwe returning and likely diminishing their role and own NBA aspirations for next season? The same can be said for Livingston and Reeves -- likely starters next year -- who would eat into the minutes and usage of highly touted freshmen D.J. Wagner and Justin Edwards.

Hopefully next season is Cal’s last. He really is destroying our once great program!
He’s an idiot. Every year we hear the same thing and cal does nothing. Cal just doesn’t care. I think he would be happy to ride a thin roster and a top recruiting class to a first weekend flameout. Vs building a legit team to compete. It’s utter laziness, insanity or straight stupidity or some combination. Anyone’s guess is as good as mine.

Ridiculous comment. He is staying for the duration of his contract.
Hi John calipari alias 4446. Of cal struggles this season he’s gone whether he wants to be or not. The buy out will be manageable and he will have been given every opportunity to turn it around. If last seasons turnaround hadn’t happened and we missed the ncaa cal would be looking for an nba job right now. And the other thing about cal. He’s not honest so when he tells you he’s gonna be in lex 6 years (which isn’t his call) that really means “we ll see what jobs come up when expectations fall short next year”

He’s an idiot. Every year we hear the same thing and cal does nothing. Cal just doesn’t care. I think he would be happy to ride a thin roster and a top recruiting class to a first weekend flameout. Vs building a legit team to compete. It’s utter laziness, insanity or straight stupidity or some combination. Anyone’s guess is as good as mine.
What in the hell are you talking about? There are all kinds of reports of Cal reaching out to players who are in the portal. We have no idea what the roster is going to be next season. You can go kick rocks with your nonsense.

No. He was spot on, but he's wishfully thinking like most of us are. Cal cares about ONE THING ONLY: the NBA. His ego hates that he was fired as a coach there. He got his title, told the world that he was glad that was over with, and then goes on to say things like the SEC tournament not being important to him, that free throws aren't important to him, that the NBA draft is the biggest moment in the history of Kentucky clown. Oh, and we're basketball bennies, and he needs to pet his dogs. The clown can't leave fast enough. There is NO REASON why he couldn't have pulled a player from the portal by now. This is KENTUCKY BASKETBALL. He's PAID to do great things here. I don't care if he thinks he might upset the feelings of some primadonna currently on the roster or about to be on it.

I do miss the days when you knew who was going to be on your team the next season and all you had to do was follow a handful of players to see what they were going to do in regards of the pro game. I don't know about anyone else, but I kinda like consistency in my sports teams.

I can’t stand people like you. It’s like you enjoy that the program is declining under Cal. There’s no way you’re an actual Kentucky basketball fan.
not here to be popular...here for UK info and conversations about the games and players.....but what we get is constant whining and crying in 100 different threads on the same subject that NONE of us can do a damn thing about.... cry like babies in one thread and just one thread

No excuses from here out. You have the portal and NIL, STOP Fing around and get it done!

Reactions: TFCats11
I love how so many people actually think Cal will just get to ride out his contract without winning more than he has the past few years.

This is sports, coaches get fired for not winning enough, especially at places like Kentucky.

I’d be willing to guarantee that if John Calipari doesn’t make it past the Sweet 16 next season he will not be the coach the following year.

This current recruiting class may be the main reason he currently still has the job as it is.

not here to be popular...here for UK info and conversations about the games and players.....but what we get is constant whining and crying in 100 different threads on the same subject that NONE of us can do a damn thing about.... cry like babies in one thread and just one thread
I have always heard there are some situations in life that are so bad "all you can do is cry". Well I think we are in one of those. This may clear up some of your question.

I love how so many people actually think Cal will just get to ride out his contract without winning more than he has the past few years.

This is sports, coaches get fired for not winning enough, especially at places like Kentucky.

I’d be willing to guarantee that if John Calipari doesn’t make it past the Sweet 16 next season he will not be the coach the following year.

This current recruiting class may be the main reason he currently still has the job as it is.
I understand the cencern with Cal but do you really think Barney is going to do anything about it?

We were a 2 seed just 1 season ago. On what planet is a 2 seed not competing?

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
Is this a serious post? Alcohol-driven? Delusional?

Cal, and his staff, have been recruiting like crazy. Purdue built a "legit team to compete" and still got upset. Kansas built "a legit team to compete" and still got upset. And so on and so on and so on...

Thin roster? I guess if we're shallow and don't really understand the ins and outs, that makes sense. Just crazy to me that posters on here think everyone in the portal is just dying to come to UK to be the 10th, 11th, and 12 man. They're in the portal to go somewhere for minutes, not a backend roster spot

Reactions: jauk11
I understand the cencern with Cal but do you really think Barney is going to do anything about it?
Yes, without a doubt.

Particularly when you factor in the fact that Calipari and Barnhart don’t get along very well.

I’m confident there’s already been a fundraiser taking place behind the scenes for Cal’s eventual ouster.

Reactions: bluesundown
Yes, but paying a $40 million buyout is even more ridiculously expensive.

Ain’t no way out of this without UK getting creamed financially.
It’s never the full amount from my understanding. It would be a negotiated amount.

We were a 2 seed just 1 season ago. On what planet is a 2 seed not competing?
when its attached to the most embarrassing loss in UK history

at this point its not in Cal's favor to talk about his recruiting prowess, as this incoming class is his best effort in the new Cal era. If he fails with them- meaning a double digit loss season, not winning the SEC and no final four, he has shown he is incapable of reaching the the heights of what he could do early in his career here.

for many of us, that is a foregone conclusion, for some, they hang their hopes on a collection of freshmen and non starters returning from a team that accomplished nothing last year, which has happened only once in Cal's history here, even with the talent he desires.

Its a head scratcher that so many people have wiped the slate clean with Cal after so many dismal performances as the head coach simply because he has a few highly touted freshmen coming in.

While I do expect this team to perform better than last years team, a good showing is not, and has never been the goal - and thanks to Cal's anemic performances as the "gold standard" of coaching, its long overdue.

Last edited:
No. He was spot on, but he's wishfully thinking like most of us are. Cal cares about ONE THING ONLY: the NBA. His ego hates that he was fired as a coach there. He got his title, told the world that he was glad that was over with, and then goes on to say things like the SEC tournament not being important to him, that free throws aren't important to him, that the NBA draft is the biggest moment in the history of Kentucky clown. Oh, and we're basketball bennies, and he needs to pet his dogs. The clown can't leave fast enough. There is NO REASON why he couldn't have pulled a player from the portal by now. This is KENTUCKY BASKETBALL. He's PAID to do great things here. I don't care if he thinks he might upset the feelings of some primadonna currently on the roster or about to be on it.
If all Cal thought about was the NBA, he would be coaching in the NBA. And don’t say he couldn’t find a job because he could easily be coaching a major franchise. We have some of the stupidest fans in college basketball.

His players first mentality has resulted in one championship and five years of mediocrity in spite of having multiple superstars now on NBA rosters. The only way to change this in today's world is through the portal and recruiting players just outside of the top 25 Freshmen. Reed Shepherd might be a good example. The other Freshmen in the 2023 class all already have one foot out the door. And so far no one from the portal while other teams like Arkansas and Kansas and St Johns are pulling them in .

I don’t think Tshiebwe or Livingston will return. I think we will get Reeves back, though.

I figure Cal will go after a big guy who is in the transfer portal, maybe a guy like Miranda who is at the combine, to replace Tshiebwe and already has Johnson in mind to replace Livingston.

We could be looking at something like this:

G Dillingham/Sheppard
G Wagner/Reeves
G Edwards/Thiero
F Bradshaw/Johnson
F Miranda/Onyenso

I suspect that Dillingham, Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw, Reeves, and Johnson will all get 25+ minutes a game, with Miranda and Onyenso splitting time at the 5 pretty equally. Sheppard gets most of the leftover minutes in the backcourt. Thiero sees a few minutes a game at the 3 spot and maybe the 4 spot (if Cal is willing to play him as a small ball 4).

It’s natural that a person would focus on what skill they are best at and get celebrated. Cal gets players to the NBA. He is celebrated for it. It’s natural to take the accolades and focus on that ability.

Coaching UK and winning titles isn’t as easy. Not going as good. Tougher. Makes sense that it isn’t what he likes doing as much. Paid the same.

I’m more pissed at Mitch for giving the lifetime contract and causing us to miss out on a Pitino homecoming. It would have been glorious.

Reactions: dl51344
I’m more pissed at Mitch for giving the lifetime contract and causing us to miss out on a Pitino homecoming. It would have been glorious.
Anyone who wants Rick Pitino back here has lost his mind. How long has it been since Pitino gave our fans "the finger" in RA? Have you forgotten? Do you really want a rapist who used prostitutes to recruit at UL as our basketball coach? Please don't give us any nonsense about Pitino being falsely accused or misunderstood. The man is a visceral liar and a walking NCAA violation. I am certainly no defender of Cal. But out of the frying pan into the fire is not a business model.

Reactions: jauk11 and JimBR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT