ADVERTISEMENT

Malik Monk

Good for him. He is a solid NBA player. Not flashy. Probably, unless you follow the NBA closely, you likely wouldn't think of him when naming the former UK players in the league.

Reactions: ganner918
That laugh during the loss, I don't know who to blame for that. Him or Cal. Cal let so much crap go on here that was destrimental to the program :( I know Malik apologized for it, but Cal enabled it.
Malik single handedly won us countless games GA, FL, cold blooded against UNC, shot to tie UNC in the tournament. Out of all the entitled ass players Cal had Malik is okay in my book.

Good for him. He is a solid NBA player. Not flashy. Probably, unless you follow the NBA closely, you likely wouldn't think of him when naming the former UK players in the league.
Monk is a badass dude and he gets better every year. I’m kinda shocked he’s only getting 20M a year basically. I mean there are dudes that don’t produce like him making way more than that. I thought he would get around 30. May have if he hit the market, I think he is prioritizing being happy over his max value which is good. Plus it will give Sacramento flexibility in keeping Fox and Sabonis. Edit: I see why, his Bird rights mean that was the max Sacramento could offer, he’s definitely happy because he could have gotten over 100M on the market. Orlando wanted him bad.

Last edited:
That laugh during the loss, I don't know who to blame for that. Him or Cal. Cal let so much crap go on here that was destrimental to the program :( I know Malik apologized for it, but Cal enabled it.

It really pissed me off and a coach who has a modicum of accountability would have went nuts over it but Calipari’s main goal in life is showing you how little he cares. Those incidents offered a glimpse into how passive this program has been run under the guy. None of the traditional greats would have had players on roster that could find humor getting killed in a UK jersey. You’ll never see that under pope unless it’s a one off and he would definitely address it.

At some point something has to matter. It should matter all the time but the system that a man like Calipari created and endorses is bad for all involved. Glad he’s gone and never coming back.

Monk is okay you can’t really blame the player when the coach himself is talking about going to see the dogs after key losses. No AD at any other major institution would have put up with it but for some reason we continued to make excuses for it even after the ends didn’t justify the means. The sport will be much better off when Calipari is not longer a part of the system.

Yeah he would have been all time had the refs not stole that game and Maye hitting that shot.

Monk is a dude impossible not to like. I remember thinking though, this guy could be Kobe Bryant level if he had the dog in him. Cool to watch play and underrated af, but just doesn’t have that killer inside. Refs definitely took his hardware at UK, and Calipari did the rest.

Check this stat out.

Monk led all bench players in total points and assists and was one of only two players in the past 25 years to have 1,000 points and 300 assists as a reserve, according to ESPN Stats

Monk is a dude impossible not to like. I remember thinking though, this guy could be Kobe Bryant level if he had the dog in him. Cool to watch play and underrated af, but just doesn’t have that killer inside. Refs definitely took his hardware at UK, and Calipari did the rest.
Not many do but when he’s hot there are not many better.

Malik single handedly won us countless games GA, FL, cold blooded against UNC, shot to tie UNC in the tournament. Out of all the entitled ass players Cal had Malik is okay in my book.
Monk made incredible shots to tie the game up….but his lackadaisical defense and careless play gave up as many as he made in crucial moments….typical Cal let guys freelance over winning

Af for losers

Let’s also congratulate Monk for overcoming his drug abuse problem. His cocaine use and subsequent suspension could have ruined his entire career, but now he’s worked himself into generational wealth. Good to see someone turn things around.

Nah for sure. It’s a battle.

Good for him.

Hard to wrap one’s head around that type of money.
19.5M per year for a non starter. Good time to be a baller.

If my parent’s were alive, I’d sue them for poor gene distribution.

I remember in the early 70’s when a reserve infielder for the Yankees got $125K and it made the national news.

Hell, while I am at it, everybody get off my digital lawn.

Last edited:
Good for him.

Hard to wrap one’s head around that type of money.
19.5M per year for a non starter. Goodt time to be a baller.

If my parent’s were alive, I’d sue them for poor gene distribution.

I remember in the early 70’s when a reserve infielder for the Yankees got $125K and it made the national news.

Hell, while I am at it, everybody get off my digital lawn.

Yea I don’t think it’s a get off my lawn thing. I’m not even old and can say the entire sports scene is turning Rome like and getting out of control. Nobody should be making that kind of money playing basketball. Our priorities really are in the tank and eventually it’s all coming to a screeching halt in some way. I’d assume when the 500 families left who have money don’t care about basketball they go to the server lines.

Really makes me wonder. I know nobody who’s a die hard NBA fan and I’m from a town near an NBA city. It’s all college sports around there. Just seems weird how the system will sustain this. I just wonder if eventually after all of these tv contracts have to be readjusted will it continue. But I guess they’re way better at finance than me so.

Last edited:
To be fair, they should've been. But there was a ref pooping down people's chimneys. That's not one we can really put on the players or coaches.

One thing we could have done in some of those games we were screwed out of, like 2015, is sub and run until their legs were gone. It’s just another example of how bad of a floor coach Calipari is. It’s inexcusable to have that kind of depth against a team who lacks athleticism and a bench and not be up 10-15 points late in the game. Even in 2017 we should have been up more and the game isn’t as close. But Calipari with the stall ball, going away from the depth, not utilizing his athleticism, its head scratching to me to this day. I don’t know if another coach who wouldn’t know to do it. Pitino had to be rolling watching it.

Reactions: KT34
Monk made incredible shots to tie the game up….but his lackadaisical defense and careless play gave up as many as he made in crucial moments….typical Cal let guys freelance over winning
That team won a lot.

That team won a lot.
For sure....and Cal's last title worthy team (fell short a bit).

But they lost so many games that put them into a 3 seed and had to play UNC in elite eight.....should have been a 1 or 2 seed and hopefully outside of UNC bracket. A great team in the end for sure....but Cal's model of not being ready to start the season cost us seed lines in many years and the harder the path....the less likely to cut down nets.

For sure....and Cal's last title worthy team (fell short a bit).

But they lost so many games that put them into a 3 seed and had to play UNC in elite eight.....should have been a 1 or 2 seed and hopefully outside of UNC bracket. A great team in the end for sure....but Cal's model of not being ready to start the season cost us seed lines in many years and the harder the path....the less likely to cut down nets.
They were a 2 seed. 5th overall. Arguably should have been a 1, considering their neutral court win over UNC.

Honestly hard to poke a ton of holes in that group.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Yea I don’t think it’s a get off my lawn thing. I’m not even old and can say the entire sports scene is turning Rome like and getting out of control. Nobody should be making that kind of money playing basketball. Our priorities really are in the tank and eventually it’s all coming to a screeching halt in some way. I’d assume when the 500 families left who have money don’t care about basketball they go to the server lines.

Really makes me wonder. I know nobody who’s a die hard NBA fan and I’m from a town near an NBA city. It’s all college sports around there. Just seems weird how the system will sustain this. I just wonder if eventually after all of these tv contracts have to be readjusted will it continue. But I guess they’re way better at finance than me so.
The people that folks come to see getting a chunk make a lot more sense than the owners gobbling up an even larger share to me.

I don't understand the whole working people against labor stuff.

To be fair, they should've been. But there was a ref pooping down people's chimneys. That's not one we can really put on the players or coaches.
The first half by the rooferee was one of of the most obvious screw jobs I’ve seen in my lifetime. Not sure he ever blew his whistle against UNC but had 12-13 calls against us if I recall correctly.

Reactions: ok-cats-computer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT