ADVERTISEMENT

Givony critique of Cason draft prospects

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida
Kentucky's season ended in disappointment in a hard-fought loss to Kansas State, but it's hard to blame their star freshman point guard. Wallace had 21 points on 9-for-11 shooting with seven rebounds, four assists and two steals.

Wallace was a perfect 7-for-7 (15 points) in the second half, coming up repeatedly with big baskets and almost always making the right play passing ahead, driving and dishing and looking under control. He was unlucky to see his teammates go 3-for-19 from 3, with at least six open 3-point looks created by Wallace that weren't converted, a major reason Kentucky lost.

Wallace's shot creation and aggressiveness left something to be desired at times this season, but he was able to get inside the paint against Kansas State in transition and out of pick and roll, hitting tough floaters and layups through contact going both left or right. He committed four turnovers in the first 10 minutes, partially a product of trying to navigate Kentucky's lack of spacing, but played a pretty clean game otherwise.

His defense, long-considered his calling card, was vividly evident on Sunday, as he came up with two pick-six steals for layups, fought over screens aggressively and had some big-time rebounds in traffic while putting his body on the line.

Wallace will be disappointed not to advance past the first round of the NCAA tournament and there are some holes that can be nitpicked in his game with his lack of scoring production and his occasional struggles with efficiency. However, Wallace had a strong freshman year that will serve him well developmentally after being forced to shoulder a huge offensive load under extreme pressure for much of the season and now looks like a strong top-10 prospect.

Look at how much time we wasted with friggin Wheeler when Cason should have been getting all of that clock. Calipari destroyed team chemistry and unity this season. Only went with Cason when it was clear he had no choice.

Get him out of here.

Good game by Cason, now he gets to get out of here as soon as possible 🤷‍♂️

I knew we weren’t going anywhere the second I heard that. And he played his ass off, but who knows what went on behind the scenes with this team. The second I heard a kid talking about leaving as fast as possible, I’d walk out of that house. And this isn’t necessarily about Cason.

Sharpe, wheeler etc should have been dismissed from the team day 1 of not accepting a role on this team. We’re a farm team with half the team not having to play and “protect themsleves”. We’re the Durham Bulls that decided to stay on the bus.

Enough of this nonsense. Get him out of here.

Just think how good he would have looked if he didn’t have have to carry the team on his back and play the whole game, plus he was clearly injured to some extent.
This! Thank a lot, Wheeler! Wheeler is one of my least favorite Cats ever. Total disappointment. All because he didn’t want to take a lesser role.

This! Thank a lot, Wheeler! Wheeler is one of my least favorite Cats ever. Total disappointment. All because he didn’t want to take a lesser role.
I just really hope somebody in the media finds out what the hell really happened because if he wasn’t really injured that is just one more nail in Cal’s coffin if he didn’t kick him off the team!

He'll probably be better in the NBA too. That's the real shitty part. Another guard come and gone who was under played, and incorrectly utilized.
If we had a real veteran PG that could actually shoot, pick your transfer portal kid, and Wallace could have played mostly at the 2 and some at PG, that would have by far been the best situation for him. The absolute worst case scenario happened where he had to play the whole game plus got hurt (probably because he was overplayed).

The new coach needs to grab the Nelson kid out of the transfer portal. Then Dillingham can back him up and ease into the flow of college ball.

• Haha
Reactions: Midway Cat
Where is the evaluation of Wheeler's prospects? There have to be some traveling circuses in need of a midget performer...Maybe they can get a 2 for 1 deal and hire his coach too, he'd fit right in
Laugh until he wants to come back to UK

Look at how much time we wasted with friggin Wheeler when Cason should have been getting all of that clock. Calipari destroyed team chemistry and unity this season. Only went with Cason when it was clear he had no choice.

Get him out of here.

Yep. Tyty should've started last year. So Cal actually blew two seasons catering to Wheeler's feelings.

He was great the last 35 minutes , the first 5 he turned it over 3-4 times . Frustrating .

I knew we weren’t going anywhere the second I heard that. And he played his ass off, but who knows what went on behind the scenes with this team. The second I heard a kid talking about leaving as fast as possible, I’d walk out of that house. And this isn’t necessarily about Cason.

Sharpe, wheeler etc should have been dismissed from the team day 1 of not accepting a role on this team. We’re a farm team with half the team not having to play and “protect themsleves”. We’re the Durham Bulls that decided to stay on the bus.

Enough of this nonsense. Get him out of here.
Adding this to the end of every one of your posts isn't going to speed up Cal's departure. You appear smart enough to know this.

IMO, you (we) have to deal with this crap one more year before this talk becomes reality. I don't see any scenario in which Calipari returns for 2024-2025, at least as a head coach at UK. But he's not going to be gone until at the earliest the end of next season. Just the way it's going to be, unfortunately.

I'm struggling to find a comp for Cason in the NBA. Maybe a poor mans Jrue Holiday?

I just don't see it... think he's going to spend more time than he thinks in the G-League. Don't believe he's a lotto type talent 20-25 is my best guess.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Adding this to the end of every one of your posts isn't going to speed up Cal's departure. You appear smart enough to know this.

IMO, you (we) have to deal with this crap one more year before this talk becomes reality. I don't see any scenario in which Calipari returns for 2024-2025, at least as a head coach at UK. But he's not going to be gone until at the earliest the end of next season. Just the way it's going to be, unfortunately.

Just tryna keep the fire going.

Reactions: Sparkaces1
I don’t under stand why you take a 5’8” point guard that can’t shoot.
To think the little guy who sent us home yesterday was in the portal but Cow doubled down with Wheels. If you are gonna go with a 5ft8 PG he has to be ad able to shoot Cow!!!
Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

You're an NBA guy how in the hell could you not draft Cason Wallace?
You seen what every damn player in the NBA is doing? Literally they own the NBA right now. Stars all over the place.

If I got a top 10 pick I'm tripping over myself to get a Kentucky player. They are ALL good. Almost every damn one of them is either developed into a good player or hit the ground running as a good player in the NBA... 💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯

Kentucky gets their mind right to play high level. Too bad we're not getting much in return in the college game.
Sad. We OWN the NBA but we can't own college basketball.... Not even one season 🥴

I'm struggling to find a comp for Cason in the NBA. Maybe a poor mans Jrue Holiday?

I just don't see it... think he's going to spend more time than he thinks in the G-League. Don't believe he's a lotto type talent 20-25 is my best guess.
He somewhat reminds me of Quickley. Does everything pretty well. Good shooter. He'll play for quite a while in the league.

Well he’s an NBA guy so maybe he’s right. I just don’t see it.

CW certainly will become more consistent but I don’t see average at best NBA athleticism ever getting better.

Was fun to watch him this year

Where is the evaluation of Wheeler's prospects? There have to be some traveling circuses in need of a midget performer...Maybe they can get a 2 for 1 deal and hire his coach too, he'd fit right in
Terrible comment. I will pray for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT