ADVERTISEMENT

Giving Credit Where It's Due: Derek Willis Edition

They're getting really excited for somebody who has yet to prove he's anything more than a cleanup guy.

Why are you so "absolute" on the pessimistic side about everything brother?

Folks are happy with DW, if he continues to do well it will be great, if he doesn't he wont play.

These posters have been around for a while they are not blind. They will be fine if another player beats Derek out.

It's preseason, you dont need to temper any enthusiasm here, this place can go negative in a heart beat.

They're getting really excited for somebody who has yet to prove he's anything more than a cleanup guy.

I'm excited for him, sure - love to see any of our players do well. But, really - it's more that we have the LUXURY to be excited about/for him. This isn't a case of if he doesn't pan out then we're doomed. If he does - fantastic, woohoo, rah rah. If he doesn't; well, it's a shame but the team will be fine.

I think it's nice that we CAN have a discussion about Willis with everyone realizing we're happier for the kid than anything.

Darrell Bird ‏@DarrellBird 3m3 minutes ago

New Cats' Pause magazine cover featuring @derek_willis33 pic.twitter.com/iTimhPvnTT

CTYhLHbUwAE_8K1.jpg

Reactions: wildcatwelder
i think it's pretty obvious Coach Cal plans to play him.

He's solidly #7 in the rotation. He seems a little passive at times, but other than that he looks great. We can critique every player, so this is not bad.
Sorry...He's NOT solidly in the rotation. I hope I'm wrong, but Cal has already asked "who's he beating out for minutes?". I believe the 8 player rotation will be...Murray, Briscoe, Ulis, Poythress, Skal, Humphries, Lee, and Mulder. Matthew and Willis are next in line. Can Willis work his way in...Yes. But he's going to have to beat out 2 or 3 other players that Cal thinks highly of.

All we can go on are these exb. games.... you can't start slamming Willis for games that haven't even been played yet. And yet some are trying to.... sheesh.

The Derek Willis of now....not last year , not the year before... but now is shooting the ball well, passing well, defending well and rebounding the ball and he's playing his butt off and with confidence. He and Poythress are complimenting each other brilliantly.... one is a forward who's better inside the paint and the other outside the paint, but so far this year Willis is showing he can do well inside too and Poythress is drilling 3's.

The guy can play in the NBA as a backup one day...... thats not saying he's all world. Thats just saying a 6'9 athletic player who's also a good shooter has a spot in the NBA.... the same spot they usually have europeans for. But he has to keep progressing like he has been from last year to this and now take another step forward through out this year and into next season. I mean Harrelson played some in the NBA..... and look at him even halfway through his senior year...I think if you said he would see the NBA before that UL game that year.... people would of been up in arms over what they thought was a crazy statement.

Maybe taller teams come in and give him fits..... maybe he struggles against good teams..... but right now we could worry about the other players the same way.

Sorry...He's NOT solidly in the rotation. I hope I'm wrong, but Cal has already asked "who's he beating out for minutes?". I believe the 8 player rotation will be...Murray, Briscoe, Ulis, Poythress, Skal, Humphries, Lee, and Mulder. Matthew and Willis are next in line. Can Willis work his way in...Yes. But he's going to have to beat out 2 or 3 other players that Cal thinks highly of.

You didnt see the Kentucky state game did you? or did you post this a week ago and some how it took a week to route through cyber space and just now finally ended up on the forums?

No possible way that Mulder gets more minutes than Matthews. What has Mulder done so far in BW scrimmage, Ottawa, Kentucky St. game to say that he is ahead of either Matthews or Willis in the rotation? Mulder hasn't played well at all to secure a spot in the rotation. He has been outplayed by Willis by a ton so far. Again, it is against weak competition, but Willis has looked much better than Mulder offensively and defensively.

hrmmmm... should i or should i not waste time responding to this with facts...hrmmmm...

you are so out of loop, it's best i just leave it at that.

I betcha Willis beats out Mulder for Mins. For one thing we're guard heavy but need Depth at the 3 and 4 and Willis has experience in Cals system. The kid can play and will play..

You didnt see the Kentucky state game did you? or did you post this a week ago and some how it took a week to route through cyber space and just now finally ended up on the forums?

Yep...Watched every minute. Willis played great. But I also understand that Cal will give his potential 1st round draft picks every opportunity to improve and show what they can do. Willis looked great in the Bahamas last year but got no additional playing time because of it.

Like I said, I think Willis can get into the tail end of the rotation, but it will be because Humphries, Matthews and Mulder absolutely fizz out this year.
hrmmmm... should i or should i not waste time responding to this with facts...hrmmmm...

you are so out of loop, it's best i just leave it at that.

Guys...I've watched the exhibition games, Willis has played great. I'm not dissing on Willis. But go down the recruiting rankings. Who did Cal bring in to develop for the NBA? These are the guys that are going to get the minutes. Like I said, Willis could get into the back end of the rotation, but it will be because Humphries, Mulder, and Matthews have been given their shot and not produced in games. That is Cal's system whether you think I'm crazy or not. He hasn't really deviated from it.

Cal has already asked the question...Who is Willis going to beat out for minutes? That means he's not in the rotation at this point. If I'm wrong, I'll come back and say I was wrong. But I think there will be several people on here who will be severely disappointed with the minutes that Willis gets once the games start for real (i.e. Duke, Kansas, UCLA, etc.).

Yep...Watched every minute. Willis played great. But I also understand that Cal will give his potential 1st round draft picks every opportunity to improve and show what they can do. Willis looked great in the Bahamas last year but got no additional playing time because of it.

Like I said, I think Willis can get into the tail end of the rotation, but it will be because Humphries, Matthews and Mulder absolutely fizz out this year.

Guys...I've watched the exhibition games, Willis has played great. I'm not dissing on Willis. But go down the recruiting rankings. Who did Cal bring in to develop for the NBA? These are the guys that are going to get the minutes. Like I said, Willis could get into the back end of the rotation, but it will be because Humphries, Mulder, and Matthews have been given their shot and not produced in games. That is Cal's system whether you think I'm crazy or not. He hasn't really deviated from it.

Cal has already asked the question...Who is Willis going to beat out for minutes? That means he's not in the rotation at this point. If I'm wrong, I'll come back and say I was wrong. But I think there will be several people on here who will be severely disappointed with the minutes that Willis gets once the games start for real (i.e. Duke, Kansas, UCLA, etc.).
Based on what I have seen in the exhibition games that Matthew, Mulder and Willis have played in it's not even a discussion at this point. Willis has outplayed both of them by a mile. Go back and look at the stats from the games.
As far as recruiting rankings Willis was ranked in the 25 to 30 range when he committed to Purdue. This guy has played against a bunch of players that were drafted in the NBA the last two years and has gained valuable experience that Matthews and Mulder don't have. Cal himself has said that Willis will play in the NBA and right now he clearly is in front of Mulder and Matthews.
Cal also said that Willis took the minutes he has been playing.

1. You think Humphries , Matthews and Mulder have 1st round potential but a 6'9 athletic shooter in D.W. doesn't?

2. How can you watch the KY State game and think Mulder and Humphries are ahead of Willis in the rotation when Willis was the man subbed in 1st and stayed in much much longer?

3. Willis was behind better players last year. Matthews, Mulder, and Humphries are not better players right now.

You are right. He has looked great! ......against players 8" shorter than him.

If I were Willis reading this it would sting. I've been so unimpressive in my collegiate career that fans feel compelled to complement me when I do some things on the court against inferior competition. Would hit the pride hard.

So yeah folks feel like they are doing something good by commending an underachiever for doing basically nothing, when all they are doing is reminding the person how bad they are underachieving.
Underachieving? The dude is doing something the rest of us would give are left nuts for. Playing on scholarship for the greatest program in the history of college basketball. He is doing so as a 3 star recruit against 5 star competition. Every minute he is on the floor is a major over achievement. You must be a miserable person to have that view lol.

Underachieving? The dude is doing something the rest of us would give are left nuts for. Playing on scholarship for the greatest program in the history of college basketball. He is doing so as a 3 star recruit against 5 star competition. Every minute he is on the floor is a major over achievement. You must be a miserable person to have that view lol.
You can do better. It is a fail when you have to make a personal comment about someone in an attempt to make a point.

What we are only talking a about a few spots in rankings (3 vs 5 star). And Willis is in his third year playing Cal's system while many of these 5 stars are first year. Maybe you think he has overachieved. I'd think you would have higher expectations for Willis. Maybe you don't. I do. He's got a lot going for him physically. I hope he's able to put it together. He hasn't yet. He still has two seasons to do it.

BTW when do we pass out those participation trophies?

I think Cal knows better than you or I, and he hasn't given him the minutes. That says it all.

I want the kid to break out. He has something to offer. I think his problem is between the ears, not his skill set.
In case you missed it, Willis has been behind NBA level talent his first two years, AND, he played, and learned against that talent. Willis himself said he had to get his head on straight, and it appears he has done so.
Give the kid a break; he may not do more this year than he did his first two years, but if you can't see his improvement thus far, then you're purposely doing so.

No coach worth their salt would have played him over the talent in front him in the first two years, but he now has his chance, and apart from a select few, all of BBN is rooting for the kid. This year he has the experience to go to war with his peers, and I hope for him AND the team he has a break out year.

You're quoting older news. Cal said after the last game "Derek took minutes today".
You will see a lot of 2 guards and 3 bigs in some games.

Ulis, Murray and Willis looked very good together.

You're quoting older news. Cal said after the last game "Derek took minutes today".
You will see a lot of 2 guards and 3 bigs in some games.

Ulis, Murray and Willis looked very good together.

yes they did; that's why I'm really hoping Willis continues what he started in exhibition. Mulder, Matthews and Humphries won't be going anywhere after this season. If Willis plays better, he comes in ahead of them on rotation. We just have to wait and see how it plays out

1. You think Humphries , Matthews and Mulder have 1st round potential but a 6'9 athletic shooter in D.W. doesn't?

2. How can you watch the KY State game and think Mulder and Humphries are ahead of Willis in the rotation when Willis was the man subbed in 1st and stayed in much much longer?

3. Willis was behind better players last year. Matthews, Mulder, and Humphries are not better players right now.

1)...At this point I don't think Humphries, Matthews, Mulder or Willis are 1st round material. These were also the guys that Cal picked up to fill slots, not necessarily the "shining stars" of his recruiting classes.

2)...No question...Willis has played better and more often than the others in preseason. This is Willis' 3rd year. I think Cal is trying to determine what Willis' ceiling is. He wants to know exactly what he has with Willis. I think once he has that figured out, he's going to give the other 3 the first shot to make an impression. If they don't impress then Cal goes with Willis and uses him as an example to the other 3 guys.

3)...I don't disagree that Willis may be a better player than Humphries, Matthews or Mulder right now. But Cal is always thinking...Who's going to be better by mid-season or NCAAT time? Who has the higher potential to get to that point by playing now? And...Humphries can do something that Willis cannot...be a true post.

Again...I like Willis. But preseason accomplishments don't necessarily translate into real season playing time. And I hope I'm wrong and Willis turns in a Jorts like performance this year. But I still think Cal gives some of the others first chance before giving Willis those minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT