ADVERTISEMENT

Give Pope a chance

I'm sorry, nothing against Pope, but he, like anyone with his resume, doesn't deserve the biggest coaching job in college basketball. He has never even won a conference championship. And he coached in the Western Athletic and the West Coast conference. I'm sorry, but if you can't win a championship in those conferences, how do you expect him to win in the SEC? This is a colossal mistake. Mitch likes him because they can pray together, but this is a disaster hire.

Like the rest of life and death, "deserve" has nothing to do with it.

Not Kenny 2.0. Utah State to NCAA tourney under Pope and BYU to tourney, no they did not win but he is no Kenny Payne.

Can he handle the pressure. We will find out Quick / Fast and in a hurry. Not sure they can fill Rupp with the introduction of pope like you would have with Donovan, Hurley, Pearl or many others. I know I gave up on Cal the past 2.5 years. I will not stop watching this year. I will watch to see if he has a team that can play, has a team that can compete, has the x and o mind. I have not watched much Pope ball.
Utah Valley State; not Utah State. He never took them to the tournament. They went to the CBI for four years.

At BYU, he’s had two appearances in the ncaa tournament. Both times as six seeds, both times lost by 9-11 points.

Pope's not ready to be given a chance in the first place. This is like starting your third string freshman QB against 2021 Georgia. It’s not fair to him. Plus, if and when it doesn’t work out, it’ll be harder to get rid of him because he’s "family"
And his career is ruined.

Have you seen what a BYU roster looks like?
I’m disappointed. I wanted Billy Donovan to be our coach. I just can’t get mad at Mark Pope because Mitch decided to hire him. I’m going to support Mark till he gives me a reason not to. I refuse to talk shit about an ex player that wanted this job because of Mitch Barnhart.

I'm sorry, nothing against Pope, but he, like anyone with his resume, doesn't deserve the biggest coaching job in college basketball. He has never even won a conference championship. And he coached in the Western Athletic and the West Coast conference. I'm sorry, but if you can't win a championship in those conferences, how do you expect him to win in the SEC? This is a colossal mistake. Mitch likes him because they can pray together, but this is a disaster hire.

You should know there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE between Mormonism and mainstream Catholicism, Protestantism, and other forms of Christianity. Had some friends and coworkers over the years that are Mormon. Never saw them pray with or proselytize anyone. Seemed that outside of their required missions they were pretty private about most of it.

I think you're safe from having to hear about it much

Damm. The sky will ALWAYS BE FALLING with this fanbase. It's always the apocalypse (until it isnt) and then still worse when it turns out not to be.

All the negativity regarding Pope’s hire is very disturbing and embarrassing to think we have fans who won’t support the new coach because they didn’t get what they consider a home run hire.
It may take 2-3 years to get back to the top 10, but I’m OK with that as long as the new coach coaches for the University and not for the NBA. Let’s give him a fair chance.

The new standard for Kentucky, beat a couple of top 25 team....do you hear yourselves?

You're the one freakin hearing people say "it's the new standard" when no one has even remotely stated that. You may want to look into a mental health check. Hearing voices and having manic episodes, that's no joke. Let your friends and family know that you may need a wellness check

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
All the negativity regarding Pope’s hire is very disturbing and embarrassing to think we have fans who won’t support the new coach because they didn’t get what they consider a home run hire.
It may take 2-3 years to get back to the top 10, but I’m OK with that as long as the new coach coaches for the University and not for the NBA. Let’s give him a fair chance.
It isn't that, and it isn't anything against Pope, it is literally that he hasn't earned this job. Zero tourney wins and zero conference wins- and he has played in some crap conferences. This is a HORRIBLE hire. Period.

You're the one freakin hearing people say "it's the new standard" when no one has even remotely stated that. You may want to look into a mental health check. Hearing voices and having manic episodes, that's no joke. Let your friends and family know that you may need a wellness check
If you followed my reply someone commented that he won 3 top 25 games last year....I mean...this is your new coach of the Kentucky Wildcats! He couldn't win the championship in the Western Athletic or the West Coast (or any other conference) or any NCAA tourney game, but lets give him the keys to BBN because he was able to win some top 25 games..... Are you guys nuts?

LOD -"He didn't beat anyone!"

Fan -"He beat Kansas at Kansas... so..."

LOD -"OH MY ATHEISM! He's a Mormon!"

Fan -"He has been for a long time and it wasn't a problem when he played here..."

LOD -"He can't recruit! Who's he recruited so far?"

Fan -"Well, he's won with mostly 2 star recruits against Kansas at Kansas, so I guess he can coach really well."

LOD -"Well, I'm not gonna back him because he's unproven."

Fan -"... and how is that gonna help. Doesn't it make more sense to give him EVERY BIT of support, THEN if he doesn't do well, we would know it's just not the job for him?"

LOD -"...but I want instant and guaranteed successsssss!!!"

Fan -"Nm. (Click handle. Click Ignore.)
Ah, that's better."

If you followed my reply someone commented that he won 3 top 25 games last year....I mean...this is your new coach of the Kentucky Wildcats! He couldn't win the championship in the Western Athletic or the West Coast (or any other conference) or any NCAA tourney game, but lets give him the keys to BBN because he was able to win some top 25 games..... Are you guys nuts?

That is NOT the same as it being "the new standard." YOUR WORDS, nutter. Move the goalposts all you want Lucy. I'm calling you on YOUR BS.

Utah Valley State; not Utah State. He never took them to the tournament. They went to the CBI for four years.

At BYU, he’s had two appearances in the ncaa tournament. Both times as six seeds, both times lost by 9-11 points.
I am just repeating what others stated this evening.

I know this year, BYU won At Kansas, Won Baylor, Won Iowa State, Won texas, Won Gonzaga. How did Cal do against the Zags at home? Give the guy a chance.

I’m disappointed. I wanted Billy Donovan to be our coach. I just can’t get mad at Mark Pope because Mitch decided to hire him. I’m going to support Mark till he gives me a reason not to. I refuse to talk shit about an ex player that wanted this job because of Mitch Barnhart.
Him being an ex Kentucky player nearly 30 years ago has zero to do with making him qualified to be here. I'm not saying he's a bad person. I'm saying he's not remotely qualified to justify getting this job. That's not an argument. It's straight truth.

I love my son but I wouldn't suggest putting him in as the starting pitcher of the Yankees.

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
Him being an ex Kentucky player nearly 30 years ago has zero to do with making him qualified to be here. I'm not saying he's a bad person. I'm saying he's not remotely qualified to justify getting this job. That's not an argument. It's straight truth.

I love my son but I wouldn't suggest putting him in as the starting pitcher of the Yankees.
I know what you mean. I don’t get how Mitch had him on the same tier as Hurley on his list. I don’t understand that at all.

I am just repeating what others stated this evening.

I know this year, BYU won At Kansas, Won Baylor, Won Iowa State, Won texas, Won Gonzaga. How did Cal do against the Zags at home? Give the guy a chance.
Are we Indiana? Are we idolizing regular season wins? He's been good enough to make the tournament as a six seed twice and both times lost to 11 seed UCLA and 11 seed Duquesne.

No way would anyone here say this is a good hire if this guy didn't play at Kentucky for two years.

If your son's team beat the Astros in Houston with him pitching, when the Yankees couldn't in NY, so the Yankees came calling offering 1M$ per year, would you refuse to let your son take the contract, or get out of your own way and buy a fkn Yankees jersey with your son's name on it?

Are we Indiana? Are we idolizing regular season wins? He's been good enough to make the tournament as a six seed twice and both times lost to 11 seed UCLA and 11 seed Duquesne.

No way would anyone here say this is a good hire if this guy didn't play at Kentucky for two years.
So you thought we were going to get a national championship coach. OK I get it.

I would have taken Nick Nolte coaching Shaq over Cal. I am just saying, I am willing to give Pope a chance. If you look at my posts, I will be harsh when we do not do what we should be doing.

If Pope comes out with all our backing, $$ and help from Admin, Pope maybe gets the right staff and so on and he does a great job. Then fine. If Pope gets here and folds under the pressure, i would rather have that than Pitino back here a 2nd time. I wanted Billy the Kid. Guessing Mitch did not. We are not the AD. We can yell at the AD.

I like Mark Popes energy, I like his personality, I like that he exudes confidence in himself. Will that be enough. Probably not. He is a Rhodes Scholar. So he has some smarts to himself. Time will tell.

Reactions: ala_kat2
You do know that Barnhart’s leadership has UK in the Top 15 in the annual Director’s Cup rankings every year for best overall athletic programs
No I didn’t. Thanks for the info. I just don’t see how Mitch had Pope so high on his list of coaches but I haven’t done enough research. I just don’t understand it. I hope he proves me wrong

So you thought we were going to get a national championship coach. OK I get it.

I would have taken Nick Nolte coaching Shaq over Cal. I am just saying, I am willing to give Pope a chance. If you look at my posts, I will be harsh when we do not do what we should be doing.

If Pope comes out with all our backing, $$ and help from Admin, Pope maybe gets the right staff and so on and he does a great job. Then fine. If Pope gets here and folds under the pressure, i would rather have that than Pitino back here a 2nd time. I wanted Billy the Kid. Guessing Mitch did not. We are not the AD. We can yell at the AD.

I like Mark Popes energy, I like his personality, I like that he exudes confidence in himself. Will that be enough. Probably not. He is a Rhodes Scholar. So he has some smarts to himself. Time will tell.
When has Kentucky ever hired someone with this little success? Never. There is a giant middle between championship coaches and Mark Pope. Literally a lot of coaches who have at least made a Sweet 16, an Elite 8, actually won a postseason game.

Pope is 100% the result of a bad and biased AD who completely dismissed merit to put Pope this high on the list. How does an AD ignore guys who have had actual succes? Even a little bit of success like Iowa State's coach. So we're just so impressed with a guy who took Utah Valley to four CBIs and has two NCAA Tourneys with BYU and zero postseason wins?

There's no way this guy is going to recruit well at this level.

You do know that Barnhart’s leadership has UK in the Top 15 in the annual Director’s Cup rankings every year for best overall athletic programs
It's asinine for you to argue that Barnhart is great because the swim team had a good season while we watch the basketball program crash and burn.

I'm on board not the hr hire we may have been looking for but mark knows the fan base and don't forget he has one hanging from the rafters and had some real impressive wins at byu this year

LOD -"He didn't beat anyone!"

Fan -"He beat Kansas at Kansas... so..."

LOD -"OH MY ATHEISM! He's a Mormon!"

Fan -"He has been for a long time and it wasn't a problem when he played here..."

LOD -"He can't recruit! Who's he recruited so far?"

Fan -"Well, he's won with mostly 2 star recruits against Kansas at Kansas, so I guess he can coach really well."

LOD -"Well, I'm not gonna back him because he's unproven."

Fan -"... and how is that gonna help. Doesn't it make more sense to give him EVERY BIT of support, THEN if he doesn't do well, we would know it's just not the job for him?"

LOD -"...but I want instant and guaranteed successsssss!!!"

Fan -"Nm. (Click handle. Click Ignore.)
Ah, that's better."
Purdy much. I'm embarrassed by some of the things I've read since this news broke. The ugliness is out in full. A lot of dogs are being kicked today. It's disgusting if you ask me.

I said from the beginning that I would support whoever we hired and give them a chance. I’m surprised with this hire but considering he’s one of our own, I’m definitely going to support him. I hope you all do the same. If you’re mad at Mitch that’s understandable but don’t take it out on Mark it’s not his fault that the job was offered to him.
I'm on board with y'all. Go Cats!

• Love
Reactions: Girthang
Pope is a surprising choice

but now as a fan, I'm going to do everything I can to support him and hope he is successful.

Its hard not to like the guy and I'm going to give him a chance, probably more rope than any coach in the past because he is one of our own.

I said from the beginning that I would support whoever we hired and give them a chance. I’m surprised with this hire but considering he’s one of our own, I’m definitely going to support him. I hope you all do the same. If you’re mad at Mitch that’s understandable but don’t take it out on Mark it’s not his fault that the job was offered to him.
I’m with you I’ll support Pope 💯 but Mitch screw that clown….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT