ADVERTISEMENT

Give Pope a chance

Nobody outside of UK fans knows wtf Mark Pope is. It is Kenny Payne 2.0 I'm afraid.
Not Kenny 2.0. Utah State to NCAA tourney under Pope and BYU to tourney, no they did not win but he is no Kenny Payne.

Can he handle the pressure. We will find out Quick / Fast and in a hurry. Not sure they can fill Rupp with the introduction of pope like you would have with Donovan, Hurley, Pearl or many others. I know I gave up on Cal the past 2.5 years. I will not stop watching this year. I will watch to see if he has a team that can play, has a team that can compete, has the x and o mind. I have not watched much Pope ball.

Not Kenny 2.0. Utah State to NCAA tourney under Pope and BYU to tourney, no they did not win but he is no Kenny Payne.

Can he handle the pressure. We will find out Quick / Fast and in a hurry. Not sure they can fill Rupp with the introduction of pope like you would have with Donovan, Hurley, Pearl or many others. I know I gave up on Cal the past 2.5 years. I will not stop watching this year. I will watch to see if he has a team that can play, has a team that can compete, has the x and o mind. I have not watched much Pope ball.
There are coaches out there with better resumes than Pope.
Mitch was hell bent on bringing in another Bible buddy rather than a qualified coach once Drew turned him down.
Hope I'm wrong but not only is this not a homerun hire.... It's a strike out.

Reactions: Loucatfan30
I said from the beginning that I would support whoever we hired and give them a chance. I’m surprised with this hire but considering he’s one of our own, I’m definitely going to support him. I hope you all do the same. If you’re mad at Mitch that’s understandable but don’t take it out on Mark it’s not his fault that the job was offered to him.
No fng way

There are coaches out there with better resumes than Pope.
Mitch was hell bent on bringing in another Bible buddy rather than a qualified coach once Drew turned him down.
Hope I'm wrong but not only is this not a homerun hire.... It's a strike out.
Not sure what denomination Mitch is but Mark is a Mormon. Most Christian religions do not consider Mormons the same as they have added (by books) to the bible. So this actually surprised me.

Again, not defending Mitch, think he is out of touch with the base. But like I said, I am not going to tear down Pope. I like the man. He has talked to me like a brother any time I have gotten the chance to talk to him. Been many years now.

And you know this how ,your crystal ball. I remember a bunch of you guys laughing and making fun of UNC for the Davis hire only to watch him take UNC to the FF four while we exited the first weekend with our HOMERUN hire.
He was an assistant for a decade for a team who went to two national championships and won one. It was an apprenticeship that he was eased into.

Pope hasn’t coached outside of the state of Utah.

I’m tickled to death that we’re rid of Cal and his nonsense. But I’ve said multiple times that my biggest fear was that Mitch would still be the AD when it came time to hire his replacement. Well here we are.

Not sure what denomination Mitch is but Mark is a Mormon. Most Christian religions do not consider Mormons the same as they have added (by books) to the bible. So this actually surprised me.

Again, not defending Mitch, think he is out of touch with the base. But like I said, I am not going to tear down Pope. I like the man. He has talked to me like a brother any time I have gotten the chance to talk to him. Been many years now.
I like Pope too. I just don't think he is the best candidate we could get. I think Mitch is making decisions based on religious factors outside of basketball. That's all good and well in your personal life but not UK basketball.

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
I'm sorry, nothing against Pope, but he, like anyone with his resume, doesn't deserve the biggest coaching job in college basketball. He has never even won a conference championship. And he coached in the Western Athletic and the West Coast conference. I'm sorry, but if you can't win a championship in those conferences, how do you expect him to win in the SEC? This is a colossal mistake. Mitch likes him because they can pray together, but this is a disaster hire.

I said from the beginning that I would support whoever we hired and give them a chance. I’m surprised with this hire but considering he’s one of our own, I’m definitely going to support him. I hope you all do the same. If you’re mad at Mitch that’s understandable but don’t take it out on Mark it’s not his fault that the job was offered to him.
Agreed

Reactions: Woodrow_Call_1998
If Pope is the one then I think the fanbase is in the same spot that it was with Cal. Most of us will have very low, even apathetic expectations, and be in wait and see what happens mode. A continued division is unfortunate.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT