ADVERTISEMENT

Get rid of the fan vote (NBA All Stars)

Montana81

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
GDBDNZ5WYAAdhw8.jpg

Harden, Irving, Ja(who’s not even eligible), Klay and Austin freaking Reaves over Devin Booker is insane. What are we doing here?

I’ve said this for baseball for years. Applies to basketball too. But instead of getting rid of it, I would weight it. Something like 40% fan vote, 40% player vote, 20% media/writer vote.

Yes, we need to get rid of the fan vote because they have not accurately voted on who the 6th best guard is.

Yes, we need to get rid of the fan vote because they have not accurately voted on who the 6th best guard is.

The only thing they got right is #1 on the west. Shai has been better than Steph this year. Irving and Harden shouldn’t be ahead of Edwards, Fox or Booker. And reeves belongs nowhere near this list.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
The need to get rid of it for all sports all stars. Pro Bowl is a joke at several spots this year
All star games, especially across the NBA/NFL/NHL are a joke. In fact, tv ratings were the their lowest ever for the 2023 NBA All Star game.

Not sure how people can sit through those and watch. They are mind numbingly boring, but to each their own I suppose.

Reactions: AGEE11
Unless I'm mistaken only the top 3 frontcourt players and top two backcourt players are selected by this vote, so who finishes 3rd through 8th or whatever means jack squat. Based on just recent history you can make an argument that SGA should replace Curry and AD instead of Lebron on the West(obviously both getting some credit for sustained greatness which isn't really crazy since they're both still easily All-star caliber) but it looks to me like they're getting all the rest of the starters right.

The fans should have absolutely no say whatsoever on who is in the All-Star game. 💯

Players that have played the best in the first half of the season should be on the All-Star team.

To be eligible you should have to played at least 75% of the games leading up to the all-star game.
Each team should nominate one to two players they think have been all star caliber for their team.
Then the commissioner should take the list and decide the final 13 on each side by looking at the stats and productivity.

I do think the teams should be at least one player from every team. I'm not sure how many NBA teams it is but at least the minimum of 15 on each side for every team I think there's 30 might be 32

I do think the teams should be at least one player from every team. I'm not sure how many NBA teams it is but at least the minimum of 15 on each side for every team I think there's 30 might be 32
If it's one player per team then AD or Lebron get left off and Maxey gets left off so a Piston and a Spur could get on...even though neither of those 2 teams has a single player worthy of making an All-Star team this year. Sorry, but that idea does not work.

If it's one player per team then AD or Lebron get left off and Maxey gets left off so a Piston and a Spur could get on...even though neither of those 2 teams has a single player worthy of making an All-Star team this year. Sorry, but that idea does not work.
I said at least one. Not just one. I actually think there should be two per team honestly. That makes for a huge All-Star team though. So at least one to two. If you got two big bad asses then there should be two.

Every team should have at least one All-Star or what are we selling to the fans here? If every team doesn't have an All-Star the ones that don't probably dont need to be teams LOL

Now of course if that applied to the NFL then my Green Bay Packers would not be a team anymore. Apparently a team that's in the playoffs as we speak as of right now doesn't have at least one player good enough to be in the pro bowl.
0 selections for arguably one of the most popular teams in football.

The truth is the All-Star game means nothing to most people, even most of the ones like me who love the NBA. It's just an exhibition game and means just as much as UK's annual pre-season exhibition games.

GDBDNZ5WYAAdhw8.jpg

Harden, Irving, Ja(who’s not even eligible), Klay and Austin freaking Reaves over Devin Booker is insane. What are we doing here?
No one outside of the top three forwards or top two guards is relevant since fan vote only determines starters.

I’ve said this for baseball for years. Applies to basketball too. But instead of getting rid of it, I would weight it. Something like 40% fan vote, 40% player vote, 20% media/writer vote.
The player vote is even worse than the fan vote

So you want participation trophy all-stars?

The truth is the All-Star game means nothing to most people, even most of the ones like me who love the NBA. It's just an exhibition game and means just as much as UK's annual pre-season exhibition games.
Tied to player salaries and max contracts.

When you have washed your hands clean of the NBA then things like this don’t bother you at all.

Tied to player salaries and max contracts.
Oh, absolutely it's important to the players to get named to the team, both for salary and for HOF resume. I just mean most adult NBA fans don't care who wins the game. The NBA is my favorite American team sport but I havn't watched an NBA all-star game for over 30 years. Who can name the All-Star game MVP from 3 years ago without looking it up? I'd say only friends, family, and superfans of the guy that won it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT