ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know how many NBA all stars Cal has coached?

Their superstar status will help us eventually win another one. Legacy builds on legacy and helps us get players who are capable of winning it all.
I don't believe that at all.

Winning another championship or heck, getting to a few more Final Fours the last several years would do more to contribute than whether some of our guys in the league get selected for the all star game.

@ukjenning44 , Calipari has coached 10 NBA All-Stars. 9 at Kentucky and 1 at Memphis.

Maxey will be his 11th, which will tie him with Dean Smith for the most produced by one college coach.

Murray is a longshot for the All-Star team, but if he makes it, Calipari will pass Dean Smith for the most ever.
Thank you for the research. I thought it had to be close between Cal and Dean Smith. It’s safe to say that Cal has done the least with the most considering Smith actually won a second NC.

I’m not saying that any coach develops them. But you can’t deny looking at the players on that list were all really good college players as well.
I’m wondering how Cal has only managed ONE NC with all the talent he’s had?
That’s why I would like to know how many NBA ALL STARS Dean Smith coached. He was an underachiever as well.
I can think of MJ, James Worthy, Vince Carter, Rasheed Wallace off the top of my head.
Only one championship and only one nba lockout which allowed him to retain a key player for the second year. Coincidence? I think not.

Reactions: ukjenning44
I don't believe that at all.

Winning another championship or heck, getting to a few more Final Fours the last several years would do more to contribute than whether some of our guys in the league get selected for the all star game.
Why do you think Cal is in good shape with so many elite recruits? They care more about how he uses elite players than whether we have 8 titles or whether we were a #1 seed the last few years.

The more exposure his elite players have at the next level, the better it is for Kentucky.

Go back and read what John Wall, Brandon Knight, and Marquis Teague had to say about how Calipari used Derrick Rose at Memphis. You don't have to believe it, but the players do.

Maxey was named to this years All Star team.
So that’s 11 NBA All Stars and only ONE NC for the underachiever.

What a waste of talent!

I’m surprised to see this is true. It just seems like he has. He certainly plays like an all star caliber player when he’s healthy.
Murray did win the 2017 MVP for the Rising Stars Challenge during the All Star Weekend his rookie year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT