ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone know how many NBA all stars Cal has coached?

ukjenning44

Junior
Nov 21, 2022
NBA All stars when compared to other coaches?
It would be interesting for someone to look up. I would like to see it compared to other coaches especially Dean Smith.
I’m thinking Pitino had 2 at most: Mashburn and Antoine Walker.
Right off for Cal I can think of: Rose, Wall, Cousins, AD, Randle, Booker, Towns, Bam, Fox, Murray, SGA.
I’ve not done any official research but I know some of you like doing that sort of stuff.

Last edited:
And even Mash had only one season where he was just barely named an all star (and I believe Walker just a couple).

Cal certainly crushes Pitino in this category. But then he crushes just about every coach ever in this department. Recruiting NBA talent is the one area where Cal might fairly be called the best ever.

Reactions: know1 and MbergCat
No, but I know how many NCAA titles he has at UK, only 1. Which is all I really care about. He's the Highlander of winning titles at UK, there can be only "1", evidently.

None of our other coaches post Rupp won more than 1 either and they had their besr players 3 to 4 seasons. Thinking its a curse.

And Calipari coached 0 nba all stars because at 18 or 19 the players aren't yet up to all star level. OP knows that of course.

None of our other coaches post Rupp won more than 1 either and they had their besr players 3 to 4 seasons. Thinking its a curse.

And Calipari coached 0 nba all stars because at 18 or 19 the players aren't yet up to all star level. OP knows that of course.
But Cal has stayed longer than most, toom

If a coach is only going to win one title here, let's swap them out every year.

🤦🏻‍♂️

And even Mash had only one season where he was just barely named an all star (and I believe Walker just a couple).

Cal certainly crushes Pitino in this category. But then he crushes just about every coach ever in this department. Recruiting NBA talent is the one area where Cal might fairly be called the best ever.
Prob the best ever at that but by far the worst ever to produce championships.

Fwiw, you could probably just go ahead and add Maxey’s name to the Cal list. He looks like a lock to be named one of this year’s All-Stars (and probably for many more years to come).

Fwiw, you could probably just go ahead and add Maxey’s name to the Cal list. He looks like a lock to be named one of this year’s All-Stars (and probably for many more years to come).
Yes I seen where more than likely he’s going to been an All Star this season. He’s been ballin’
I forgot Donovan Mitchell for Pitino.

Last edited:
Think I read that we have 26 players in the pro's and Duke has 24. Do not keep up with it or really care just happened to see it. Kentucky's team and pursuit of the championship is my focus.

No doubt Cal should have another title or two with the amount of talent he has compiled that has gone on to have great success professionally.

At the same time, I fully recognize these guys, when Cal gets to coach them, are 18 yrs old and beyond green. They come in super immature, don't play defense, and have been playing for the name on the back rather than the front. Cal does a tremendous job getting them to buy in and play for each other and the team.

Again, he should probably have another title or two, and it is his choice to recruit this way, but at the same time I can recognize how challenging it is.

I honestly don't see the point of this. No college coaches are developing NBA All-Stars in a season or two. I would bet the vast majority of All-Stars were going to be one, no matter where they played in college.
I’m not saying that any coach develops them. But you can’t deny looking at the players on that list were all really good college players as well.
I’m wondering how Cal has only managed ONE NC with all the talent he’s had?
That’s why I would like to know how many NBA ALL STARS Dean Smith coached. He was an underachiever as well.
I can think of MJ, James Worthy, Vince Carter, Rasheed Wallace off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Reactions: SemperFiCat
I’m surprised to see this is true. It just seems like he has. He certainly plays like an all star caliber player when he’s healthy.
I think it’s a combination of playing in the Western Conference loaded with guards, and he never really puts up All Star numbers. His best season overall was last season at 20 and 6 and that won’t cut it. And this year he’s missed a good number of games.

Reactions: UK90
5 starters

AD
Rose
SGA
Wall
Cousins

I count 10 overall.... 9 at UK and 1 at Memphis. Marcus Camby never made the team

How about this, could you build a NBA championship caliber team strictly with former UK players currently playing in the league? What would that roster look like.

Here's a crazy one. Jamaal Magliore had as many NBA all-star selections as Jamal Mashburn with 1.
That’s right. I forgot Magliore got one …and with only a 13 ppg scoring average. Maybe the most modest all star selection ever.

As I recall, that was a situation where the rules required at least two centers per team, and because of injuries and the West having all the best 5s, Magloire and Ben Wallace were the best centers the East could come up with that year.

It’s safe to say Mashburn faced stiffer competition at his position for a spot.

Out of SGA, Luka, Curry, Booker, Fox, Edwards, and maybe Harden, who would you put him over?
I'd probably put him in before Edwards and Harden(now, not a few years ago). But it might take one of the first five being injured to get him ahead of any of them.

And I could give 2 squats!!! Someone once said that if you have 2 or more nba players you are a FF/NC team. Certainly not the case with JC.

Pretty sure Jayson Williams is the only NBA all star Cal has ever coached. Yet Williams is the only former Cal player I've ever heard badmouth Cal.

It would be interesting for someone to look up. I would like to see it compared to other coaches especially Dean Smith.
Right off for Cal I can think of: Rose, Wall, Cousins, AD, Randle, Booker, Towns, Bam, Fox, Murray, SGA.
I’ve not done any official research but I know some of you like doing that sort of stuff.
🤡

I'd probably put him in before Edwards and Harden(now, not a few years ago). But it might take one of the first five
being injured to get him ahead of any of them.

Not over Ant-Man. Edwards is having a pretty fantasic year and it's his only 4th year.

Jamal Murray actually has fairly modest stats when compared to other all-star nominations. He's certainly an amazing player, but there usually seems to be a few guys who are firmly a tier above him.

His biggest problem though, is health. He missed all of 21/22, misses almost half of the season prior, can't crack 60 before that season. You really need to have the availability factor if you want to be an all-star. Even this year, he's already missed like 30% of his games.

Reactions: ukfan1622
How about this, could you build a NBA championship caliber team strictly with former UK players currently playing in the league? What would that roster look like.
I was checking ex-UK player NBA stats the other day and came up with TEN averaging plus 20-ppg!!!!
NAME/ POINTS/ REBOUNDS/ ASSISTS PER GAME

1st Team

Davis 24.9/ 12.1/ 3.7
Randle 24.0/ 9.2/5.0
Booker 28.4/ 4.9/ 7.3
SGA 31.3/ 5.6/ 6.4
Fox 27.5/ 4.1/ 5.6

2nd Team
KAT 22.6/ 8.7/ 3.1
Bam 20.7/ 10.5/ 4.2
Herro 21.5/ 5.3/ 4.1
Murray 21.4/ 3.8/ 6.5
Maxey 25.7/ 3.6/ 6.6

I was checking ex-UK player NBA stats the other day and came up with TEN averaging plus 20-ppg!!!!
NAME/ POINTS/ REBOUNDS/ ASSISTS PER GAME

1st Team

Davis 24.9/ 12.1/ 3.7
Randle 24.0/ 9.2/5.0
Booker 28.4/ 4.9/ 7.3
SGA 31.3/ 5.6/ 6.4
Fox 27.5/ 4.1/ 5.6

2nd Team
KAT 22.6/ 8.7/ 3.1
Bam 20.7/ 10.5/ 4.2
Herro 21.5/ 5.3/ 4.1
Murray 21.4/ 3.8/ 6.5
Maxey 25.7/ 3.6/ 6.6

That team would run total roughshod over the League. Hell, even all five BACKUPS are actual or borderline All Star caliber players.

Not to mention the end of the bench 11th through 14th men it could have from amongst the likes of Immanuel Quickley, PJ Washington, Keldon Johnson, Malik Monk, Vanderbilt, Richards, etc.

Can we just send that team to the Olympics?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ib4ky
JUST FOR DISCUSSION
PUKE has the second most ex-players on NBA rosters with 25 to UK's 27, but they only have four players above 20-ppg.
Kyrie 25.2
Banchero 23.0
Zion 22.0
Ingram 21.4
Barrett 19.2

The rest of the PUKE players are between 10 and 15-ppg or are barely playing.

UK's next level sub group would probably make a decent rotation:
KJ 16.7
PJ 13.5
Richards 9.6
Monk 14.4
Quickley 15.5

UK's bottom of the barrel, barely playing includes:
Boston 3.7
Jackson 6.8
Knox 7.5
Lyles 7.0
Saar 2.0
Tshiebwe 3.5
Vanderbilt 5.0
Wallace 6.7
TyTy 1.5

JUST FOR DISCUSSION
PUKE has the second most ex-players on NBA rosters with 25 to UK's 27, but they only have four players above 20-ppg.
Kyrie 25.2
Banchero 23.0
Zion 22.0
Ingram 21.4
Barrett 19.2

The rest of the PUKE players are between 10 and 15-ppg or are barely playing.

UK's next level sub group would probably make a decent rotation:
KJ 16.7
PJ 13.5
Richards 9.6
Monk 14.4
Quickley 15.5

UK's bottom of the barrel, barely playing includes:
Boston 3.7
Jackson 6.8
Knox 7.5
Lyles 7.0
Saar 2.0
Tshiebwe 3.5
Vanderbilt 5.0
Wallace 6.7
TyTy 1.5
Great research! Thanks

Reactions: ib4ky
@ukjenning44 , Calipari has coached 10 NBA All-Stars. 9 at Kentucky and 1 at Memphis.

Maxey will be his 11th, which will tie him with Dean Smith for the most produced by one college coach.

Murray is a longshot for the All-Star team, but if he makes it, Calipari will pass Dean Smith for the most ever.

Reactions: ukjenning44
I'd trade every one of them for another championship.
Their superstar status will help us eventually win another one. Legacy builds on legacy and helps us get players who are capable of winning it all.

giphy.gif

tumblr_lyy56ljH401qedb29o1_500.gif

2hthww.jpg

;)

Their superstar status will help us eventually win another one. Legacy builds on legacy and helps us get players who are capable of winning it all.

I'll be a suck-egg mule....................

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT