ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia best team in Country.

It’s not a slam dunk, but they have an argument for most on paper talent. I personally feel like people are giving them too much extra credit for titles they largely won with different players than the ones they had available this year though. This year, they struggled to pull away in several games against mediocre teams like Auburn, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, and Georgia Tech before losing to Alabama. They’re still a good team, but I’m just not seeing it that they were head and shoulders above the field for this year.

I agree but you will get flamed on here OP.
By whom?

OP is right.

This will be the last Natty w/o an SEC finalist in, perhaps, decades.

Bama’s narrow win over Georgia gave the Committee just enough (well, not really) to knock UGA to 5th.

With 12 teams in the playoffs, and 5-7 from the new, enlarged SEC footprint, most seasons could easily end with two SEC teams in the title game.

But we’ll hear how good this last 4 team matchup was for college football, for a long while.

By whom?

OP is right.

This will be the last Natty w/o an SEC finalist in, perhaps, decades.

Bama’s narrow win over Georgia gave the Committee just enough (well, not really) to knock UGA to 5th.

With 12 teams in the playoffs, and 5-7 from the new, enlarged SEC footprint, most seasons could easily end with two SEC teams in the title game.

But we’ll hear how good this last 4 team matchup was for college football, for a long while.
It doesn’t happen often. Looks like 2014 with Oregon and OSU was the last one and then quite a few in the 2000’s.

Georgia not even the best in the SEC. Give it up already.
Shut up. Nobody would want to play them. You do realize that he pulled his starters at halftime, played everybody on the team that had dressed out. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a team do that in a game before. It’s been since 2014 since an SEC team was not in the final game. As someone pointed out earlier, that will be the last time that happens.

Shut up. Nobody would want to play them. You do realize that he pulled his starters at halftime, played everybody on the team that had dressed out. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a team do that in a game before. It’s been since 2014 since an SEC team was not in the final game. As someone pointed out earlier, that will be the last time that happens.
You shut up. Go to the Georgia board and kiss their ass. All I know is Alabama beat them fair and square and Texas beat Alabama. Quit crying about Georgia. You sound pathetic.

You shut up. Go to the Georgia board and kiss their ass. All I know is Alabama beat them fair and square and Texas beat Alabama. Quit crying about Georgia. You sound pathetic.
OU also beat Texas on their home field in week 7 so maybe OU should have gotten in instead of Texas if we are playing that game. I’m not taking anything away from Texas but they played a different bama team in week 2 than Georgia faced in week 13. Georgia would win this 4 team playoff format 7 times out 10 against TX, Michigan, and Washington IMO.

I don’t care if they played on the moon. Did Texas lose to OU or not. Georgia loses one game to Bama by 3 points in week 13 so they don’t deserve in but Texas losing in week 7 is somehow ok.
Other sec teams make fun of us that live vicariously through their teams.

Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I don’t care if they played on the moon. Did Texas lose to OU or not. Georgia loses one game to Bama by 3 points in week 13 so they don’t deserve in but Texas losing in week 7 is somehow ok.
You’re the one that made an issue out of it being a home game for Texas. 😂

Reactions: grevey35
You’re the one that made an issue out of it being a home game for Texas. 😂
They were listed as the home team on the schedule. I don’t follow all the intricacies of other conference games and where they are played annually. They still lost to OU regardless where it was played. Playing in Dallas is much more of a home game for Texas than it is for OU anyway so the point stands.

They were listed as the home team on the schedule. I don’t follow all the intricacies of other conference games and where they are played annually. They still lost to OU regardless where it was played. Playing in Dallas is much more of a home game for Texas than it is for OU anyway so the point stands.
It’s basically equidistant from Austin and Norman and the tickets are split 50/50. It’s as neutral as neutral can get. That’s why they play there.

Wish I could agree with that, we were very good when healthy and focused. But we had our chance to prove we were the best and let it slip through our fingers. We likely end up number 5 because the teams ahead of us that lost both were playing for the win when game ended.

And still managed to score two or three more times with the backups. Seems FSUs form of "protest" was to just lay down all day. Sad

If Georgia was the best team, they would have beaten Bama. Love them or hate them, Michigan and Washington have come up big every time it has mattered. They are both undefeated and belong to be in the game. UGA came out flat and didn't show up against Bama. They left their chance to play for the title, and any claim to being the best team, on the field at the SEC Championship.

And Washington beat Texas. So, I guess by your logic Washington is the best team, until they lose to Michigan, then Michigan will be the best team. Unfortunately, the best team doesn't always win it. I'll consider Michigan to be the legit champ if they win it. Doesn't mean I still won't think UGA is the better team when at full strength, because I will.

Georgia, at their best, can beat anyone this year. However, I think the same can be said of a few other teams, also. Georgia, in what is basically a home game in the SECC (played in Atlanta), had their opportunity to be in the playoff and didn't capitalize. Sucks for them but, since the committee tried to let the on-field games decide who was in and who was out, they didn't make it. I don't think, unlike previous years, this Georgia team is CLEARLY better than every other team. Even when 100% healthy, their defense wasn't as dominant, their running game wasn't 100% effective, etc. They are a very talented and well-coached team. But, imo, not clearly the best team that got screwed out of the national championship. They had a chance to be in the playoff and didn't beat Bama. That's sports for you.

Regardless of your loyalties, unbeaten Michigan and Washington are deserving of playing for the championship. They are the only unbeaten teams remaining and both have beaten some quality opponents throughout the season. Only a complete SEC homer would view the winner this coming Monday as a champion with an asterisk.

Georgia, at their best, can beat anyone this year. However, I think the same can be said of a few other teams, also. Georgia, in what is basically a home game in the SECC (played in Atlanta), had their opportunity to be in the playoff and didn't capitalize. Sucks for them but, since the committee tried to let the on-field games decide who was in and who was out, they didn't make it. I don't think, unlike previous years, this Georgia team is CLEARLY better than every other team. Even when 100% healthy, their defense wasn't as dominant, their running game wasn't 100% effective, etc. They are a very talented and well-coached team. But, imo, not clearly the best team that got screwed out of the national championship. They had a chance to be in the playoff and didn't beat Bama. That's sports for you.

Regardless of your loyalties, unbeaten Michigan and Washington are deserving of playing for the championship. They are the only unbeaten teams remaining and both have beaten some quality opponents throughout the season. Only a complete SEC homer would view the winner this coming Monday as a champion with an asterisk.
Hello, I’m yellow, just like Homer Simpson!

Georgia by 90!

Wish I could agree with that, we were very good when healthy and focused. But we had our chance to prove we were the best and let it slip through our fingers. We likely end up number 5 because the teams ahead of us that lost both were playing for the win when game ended.
Take UGA out of the equation. It’s hard for me to believe that a team, any team, that is 2x defending NC and was ranked #1 basically all season long, and only loss is the conf championship does make the playoff to me is just not legitimate. There is way too much emphasis on the argument x beat y and y beats Z so x is better than Z. That’s just not the way it works. I think Herby had it right, stop all the stupid logic arguments and criteria. Just pick the 4 best teams. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t believe UGA wasn’t one of the best 4 teams in the country. Texas is not. Bama is not.

Take UGA out of the equation. It’s hard for me to believe that a team, any team, that is 2x defending NC and was ranked #1 basically all season long, and only loss is the conf championship does make the playoff to me is just not legitimate. There is way too much emphasis on the argument x beat y and y beats Z so x is better than Z. That’s just not the way it works. I think Herby had it right, stop all the stupid logic arguments and criteria. Just pick the 4 best teams. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t believe UGA wasn’t one of the best 4 teams in the country. Texas is not. Bama is not.
They basically defaulted to the formula of taking the best 4 conference champions to avoid the appearance of favoritism - taking one conference loser over another conference winner. There was no way out of this for them without pissing off a lot of fan bases. I also believe Georgia was at least a top 4 team but they were simply a victim of a system, that fortunately has been modified so something like this doesn't occur again.

Reactions: Seakat311
They basically defaulted to the formula of taking the best 4 conference champions to avoid the appearance of favoritism - taking one conference loser over another conference winner. There was no way out of this for them without pissing off a lot of fan bases. I also believe Georgia was at least a top 4 team but they were simply a victim of a system, that fortunately has been modified so something like this doesn't occur again.
Totally agree, which is why the system is flawed. No matter who is chosen, people will be pissed by default. So just make the system work and take the 4 best teams. That would never happen though.

Totally agree, which is why the system is flawed. No matter who is chosen, people will be pissed by default. So just make the system work and take the 4 best teams. That would never happen though.
Personally, I think there's something to be said for having to earn your way in.

Georgia might be the best team, but they did not earn their spot. In the game where they knew they had to step up most, they got legit beaten by the team that lost last night. They've got nobody to blame but themselves.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT