ADVERTISEMENT

Geography Test

Here's a good geography quiz question:

Kentucky lost ten people in April 2024 that moved to Arkansas. Why did the basketball improve so much?
A shift in the North American plate. Anyone that thinks otherwise is Geology/Geography challenged. Just sayin'. Oh, and we don't have to worry about a One-and-Done world anymore.

You can knock memorization skills but I'd argue we are losing something by not pushing memory on young kids.
We had to memorize multiplication and division tables up to 12 as I recall.
And obviously when you take foreign languages, you have to memorize things like nouns and verbs.

But memorizing a map of countries. Sorry I just don't see that as a sign of the end times.

But some of us have a need to be outraged nearly every day, it seems like it is their daily vitamin or something

Reactions: hmt5000
And obviously when you take foreign languages, you have to memorize things like nouns and verbs.

But memorizing a map of countries. Sorry I just don't see that as a sign of the end times.

But some of us have a need to be outraged nearly every day, it seems like it is their daily vitamin or something

Nobody except like 1 poster that went on some weird political rant seem outraged at all, they showed people that legitimately didn’t know which country was the United States and most people are making fun of them. It’s like you’re having your completely own world and story in your head or something, super bizarre. Saying people are outraged and how memorizing maps isn’t important, like what in the world are you talking about?

Reactions: kyeric
While I'm not very good at geography, any American with an inkling of education ought to be able to ID the US, Mexico, Canada, right? Australia, Greenland, Italy also ought to be pretty GD obvious, too. I'll bet many of those geography-challenged individuals could tell you how many different genders there are (according to Far Left, anyway), what systemic racism is, cite factoids about how awful DJT is, know all about abortion rights, etc. A large percentage of public school children aren't able to read or do math at grade level, obviously geography isn't being taught very well, etc. - besides indoctrination propaganda, what is our education bestowing on the students?
Quite the ranty rant. This is an edited comedy piece for a comedy show but even if it wasn't, this shouldn't be shocking and it's nothing new. We're Americans, we brag that we're number one in everything (except anything that might be considered a negative) and instead of taking things from other countries who may be faring better, fk them because America. We're a country that screams freedom (as if other countries don't have freedom as well) and we embraced Freedom Fries as one of our responses after 9/11. Your post is about 17 bumper stickers stuck together on the back of a rusted Ford truck.

Nobody except like 1 poster that went on some weird political rant seem outraged at all, they showed people that legitimately didn’t know which country was the United States and most people are making fun of them. It’s like you’re having your completely own world and story in your head or something, super bizarre. Saying people are outraged and how memorizing maps isn’t important, like what in the world are you talking about?
Exactly. We are talking about our northern and southern border. It's not even rocket science. We can excuse stuff by laffing off memorizing Ky counties but knowing where Canada and Mexico are in relation to our country is kind of important for modern geopolitics.

Reactions: kyeric
Quite the ranty rant. This is an edited comedy piece for a comedy show but even if it wasn't, this shouldn't be shocking and it's nothing new. We're Americans, we brag that we're number one in everything (except anything that might be considered a negative) and instead of taking things from other countries who may be faring better, fk them because America. We're a country that screams freedom (as if other countries don't have freedom as well) and we embraced Freedom Fries as one of our responses after 9/11. Your post is about 17 bumper stickers stuck together on the back of a rusted Ford truck.
really bad take. We have been falling in education rankings for decades. You can actually look at when the dept of eductation was formed and draw a line down for our perfomance. You seem to be making a point nobody is making. You might want to actually read the thread again because the point is that we have raised a generation of idiots who can't even find Canada on a map.

I don't know. I seem to recall a story about your parents intentionally dropping off your sister in the wrong state.

• Haha
Reactions: Ron Mehico

Sure glad I didn't memorize the Quran, or the Bible for that matter.

I couldn't pass 5th grade unless I knew all the States and their Capitals, the Presidents in order, and the preamble to the Constitution. We need to get back to letting students use their brains for good instead of pumping them full of garbage that is unuseable in life.

I don't think memorization is required in most instances. Just a general awareness.
- Like not knowing Dallas is a city in Texas instead of a state is just being stupid.
- Maybe you forget the name of Antartica, or you forget Australia is a continent, but otherwise you should at least know the other 5.
- Not knowing Seattle is on West Coast, Atlanta in the South, Kansas City in MidWest, is stupid.
- Maybe you can't exactly locate countries, but you should at least (for most) get pretty close on them.

Reactions: Tskware
I don't think memorization is required in most instances. Just a general awareness.
- Like not knowing Dallas is a city in Texas instead of a state is just being stupid.
- Maybe you forget the name of Antartica, or you forget Australia is a continent, but otherwise you should at least know the other 5.
- Not knowing Seattle is on West Coast, Atlanta in the South, Kansas City in MidWest, is stupid.
- Maybe you can't exactly locate countries, but you should at least (for most) get pretty close on them.
Most people I know who aren’t good at geography were dullards. The main reason is people who are smart and interesting look at maps and think about going places, what’s there, differences of countries. Dullards think about makeup and video games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT