ADVERTISEMENT

Gebbia Withdraws from Nebraska After Not Getting Starting Job

Martinez was the kid who was committed to UT, I believe, before the orange poo hit the fan. I was hoping UK would go after him. It will be interesting to see how Frost uses him this year.

Martinez was the kid who was committed to UT, I believe, before the orange poo hit the fan. I was hoping UK would go after him. It will be interesting to see how Frost uses him this year.
If you are a talented QB and you think you may have a shot at the next level there are two issues which are of paramount importance in your choice of a school: the type of offense that a team runs and if they are committed to throw the ball and second, what the depth chart at QB looks like. A guy like this wants to be a multi year starter.

If you are a talented QB and you think you may have a shot at the next level there are two issues which are of paramount importance in your choice of a school: the type of offense that a team runs and if they are committed to throw the ball and second, what the depth chart at QB looks like. A guy like this wants to be a multi year starter.

Problem for him was that he lost out to a true freshman, so the depth chart would not have reflected that when Gebbia committed.

Problem for him was that he lost out to a true freshman, so the depth chart would not have reflected that when Gebbia committed.
Right, so he looked up and saw a guy in his class who barring poor play or injury will block his ability to play for his entire career. Hoak is also looking at this and if he does not win playing time this year I bet he will graduate early and transfer as a graduate with two years eligibility.

Does Gebbia drop down or go Juco? And, had T Wilson gone to Nebraska, would he start over Martinez?

If I am a new coach I recruit a freshman over a Juco in my first class...you know a new coach has a grace period, so rolling with a talented freshman seems like a good long term decision. I think that is why Frost and Mullen may have put feelers out for TW, but ultimately decided to sign High schoolers.

TW vs Martinez would be impossible to say...5 years vs 3 years top play could've been a determining factor.

Yes but once he lost he took his ball and went home. No learning what he can improve on. No working harder to get better. He wasn’t handed the job so he got salty and went home.
You seem to have a misunderstanding of what you're talking about.

He competed and lost the job to a player the coaches felt more comfortable moving forward with. It would be equivalent of being passed up for a promotion with a younger co-worker. If that company doesn't want to promote you, but another one does, would you just stay in the same job and hope it all works out? Or would you take your future into your own hands and do what's best for you and your family? Factor in that it could literally be a decision that in the end could be worth a few million.

These players only get 4 actual years of playing time to showcase their talents and abilities in their hope of making it a career. If he doesn't explore other options now, he likely will not have the chance later. The player who got the job is younger and likely stays in that spot longer than the eligilbilty Gebbia has left. He would be an idiot to stay and wait for the starter to get hurt or fail and have achance.

Do you think Terry Wilson quit and didn't want to compete when he left Oregon?

Also, how do you know he didn't learn what he can improve on? I would imagine he got quite a bit of feedback from coaches and will continue to get feedback wherever he ends up?

Took his ball and went home? I'm pretty sure the plan is to find a school where he can have an opportunity to start and continue to grow and improve. I don't think they were his balls either. They were probably Nebraska's.

Got salty and went home? You sure about that? I'm pretty sure he discussed it with coaches, family and mentors and decided it was the best option for his future. I think you'll find most parties involved agreed.

Do you think all the transfers we've had come into our atheltics programs were the same?

You seem to have a misunderstanding of what you're talking about.

He competed and lost the job to a player the coaches felt more comfortable moving forward with. It would be equivalent of being passed up for a promotion with a younger co-worker. If that company doesn't want to promote you, but another one does, would you just stay in the same job and hope it all works out? Or would you take your future into your own hands and do what's best for you and your family? Factor in that it could literally be a decision that in the end could be worth a few million.

These players only get 4 actual years of playing time to showcase their talents and abilities in their hope of making it a career. If he doesn't explore other options now, he likely will not have the chance later. The player who got the job is younger and likely stays in that spot longer than the eligilbilty Gebbia has left. He would be an idiot to stay and wait for the starter to get hurt or fail and have achance.

Do you think Terry Wilson quit and didn't want to compete when he left Oregon?

Also, how do you know he didn't learn what he can improve on? I would imagine he got quite a bit of feedback from coaches and will continue to get feedback wherever he ends up?

Took his ball and went home? I'm pretty sure the plan is to find a school where he can have an opportunity to start and continue to grow and improve. I don't think they were his balls either. They were probably Nebraska's.

Got salty and went home? You sure about that? I'm pretty sure he discussed it with coaches, family and mentors and decided it was the best option for his future. I think you'll find most parties involved agreed.

Do you think all the transfers we've had come into our atheltics programs were the same?
What are you this kids dad or something? You have to be fun a parties. If you read the article, you see that it sounds like the Frost and the staff seem to have had no idea he had withdrawn. As for the promotion stuff. There no guarantee of getting the starting job at a new school. He now only has 3 year of eligibility left because he is not going play anywhere beside maybe juco in 2018 and based on the time of year he may not be able to play there either. Terry Wilson didn’t decide to transfer a week before his teams season started. This kid quit football and school 7 days before kickoff. Regardless of how you feel, he was granted his release today and with most school already starting he better be scrambling to find a place to go.

What are you this kids dad or something? You have to be fun a parties. If you read the article, you see that it sounds like the Frost and the staff seem to have had no idea he had withdrawn. As for the promotion stuff. There no guarantee of getting the starting job at a new school. He now only has 3 year of eligibility left because he is not going play anywhere beside maybe juco in 2018 and based on the time of year he may not be able to play there either. Terry Wilson didn’t decide to transfer a week before his teams season started. This kid quit football and school 7 days before kickoff. Regardless of how you feel, he was granted his release today and with most school already starting he better be scrambling to find a place to go.
Don't even know the kid, but it's pretty common sense that a high profile quarterback that's already sat out a red shirt year, wouldn't want to sit behind a true freshman if other opportunities present themselves. If it was an upperclassmen with experience it would be a bit different. Very solid chance it was either now or later. Frost wasn't even the coach when the kid picked Nebraska.

He didn't quit school or football, he is just opting to attend and play elsewhere. I would imagine he already had something planned when he withdrew. I'm sure we will hear soon enough.

The coaches obviously felt he wasn't their preference, so why sit on the bench and potentially waste a year. Transfer and at least give yourself the opportunity. Even if he doesn't get a starting job this year, he can learn a new offense, teammates, coaches and so forth and be prepared to take over next season. He waste all that by staying at a place he would be planning to leave anyway. The coaches also waited until this week to announce a starter. If they didn't wait, he likely wouldn't have either.

Don't even know the kid, but it's pretty common sense that a high profile quarterback that's already sat out a red shirt year, wouldn't want to sit behind a true freshman if other opportunities present themselves. If it was an upperclassmen with experience it would be a bit different. Very solid chance it was either now or later. Frost wasn't even the coach when the kid picked Nebraska.

He didn't quit school or football, he is just opting to attend and play elsewhere. I would imagine he already had something planned when he withdrew. I'm sure we will hear soon enough.

The coaches obviously felt he wasn't their preference, so why sit on the bench and potentially waste a year. Transfer and at least give yourself the opportunity. Even if he doesn't get a starting job this year, he can learn a new offense, teammates, coaches and so forth and be prepared to take over next season. He waste all that by staying at a place he would be planning to leave anyway. The coaches also waited until this week to announce a starter. If they didn't wait, he likely wouldn't have either.

So does he just keep transferring every year he doesn't get the starting job? He withdrew from school. Can he even enroll somewhere this late in the semester?

So does he just keep transferring every year he doesn't get the starting job? He withdrew from school. Can he even enroll somewhere this late in the semester?

If he gets beat out by someone younger that would cause him to eat up his eligibility sitting behind, then yes, he most likely would. However, I imagine he will try to look for a situation where this hopefully isn't as likely. He may go juco and try next year. Either way he will still have a chance of playing this year. Likely better than he would have had at Nebraska. Hopefully it works out for both parties. It's kind of like when Towels left because he saw his opportunities were likely over here and wanted to give it another chance elsewhere with the eligibility he had left. Nothing wrong with that. Barker should have done the same and he could likely still be playing somewhere.

This late into the semester? Most colleges just started this week or last. Depending on if it's a quarter system or semester system, they may not have started yet. He can also do half semester courses for the 2nd half, but enroll in them now so he is technically a student this semester.

Usually at most colleges you only have a couple weeks yo enroll after the semester begins.

People don’t want to compete anymore. Once they lose a job they want to go somewhere else
This is the truth.

giphy.gif

If he gets beat out by someone younger that would cause him to eat up his eligibility sitting behind, then yes, he most likely would. However, I imagine he will try to look for a situation where this hopefully isn't as likely. He may go juco and try next year. Either way he will still have a chance of playing this year. Likely better than he would have had at Nebraska. Hopefully it works out for both parties. It's kind of like when Towels left because he saw his opportunities were likely over here and wanted to give it another chance elsewhere with the eligibility he had left. Nothing wrong with that. Barker should have done the same and he could likely still be playing somewhere.

This late into the semester? Most colleges just started this week or last. Depending on if it's a quarter system or semester system, they may not have started yet. He can also do half semester courses for the 2nd half, but enroll in them now so he is technically a student this semester.
Juco is his only route. No university will enroll a student this late considering application deadlines ended months ago. When it comes to football he hurting himself by trying to find a team to take him in August when most schools already prepping for a season opener this week at every level.

Juco is his only route. No university will enroll a student this late considering application deadlines ended months ago. When it comes to football he hurting himself by trying to find a team to take him in August when most schools already prepping for a season opener this week at every level.
Not necessarily. Most schools just started this week and last week. They still have students enrolling late and would easily accommodate a student athlete in this circumstance. Also, as I previously pointed out, he may be attending a school that's does quarters instead of semesters, in which case they wouldn't have started yet. He could also be enrolling for half semester courses that wouldn't start until the 2nd half of the semester, sometime in October. He would still be considered an eligible student athlete now, since it would be this semester that he would be enrolled in classes.

How is getting enrolled in a new system now hurting himself? If he gets to play now it's a plus because that's what he wanted. If he doesn't, he still gets a leg up on coaching, practicing, learning a new offense, adjusting to new teammates and a new environment and so forth. How is any of that bad? How is sitting the bench at Nebraska this year a better option?

Not necessarily. Most schools just started this week and last week. They still have student enrolling late and would easily accommodate a student athlete in this circumstance. Also, as I previously pointed out, he may be attending a school that's does quarters instead of semesters, in which case that wouldn't have started. He could also be enrolling for half semester courses that wouldn't start until the 2nd half of the semester, sometime in October. He would still be considered an eligible student athlete now, since it would be this semester that he would be enrolled in classes.

How is getting enrolled in a new system now hurting himself? If he gets to play now it's a plus because that's what he wanted. If he doesn't, he still gets a leg up on coaching, practicing, learning a new offense, adjusting to new teammates and a new environment and so forth. How is any of that bad? How is sitting the bench at Nebraska this year a better option?
Most large universities will not accept a an application this late into a year regardless of situation or semester vs quarters. Has nothing to do with what class he enrolls in whether is is 8 weeks or 16 has to do with admission deadlines. Being an athlete makes it even more difficult because there’s so much more to do than a non athlete student. Unless he grey shirts. Most rosters are set by this point in the year so again juco is his only route. And it hurts him because now he’s sitting the bench and playing catch up at a juco and hoping to get a enough of a look to go somewhere next spring. He would been better off hanging out at Nebraska and then transferring in December. Because at this point most would say he is not gonna see much turf anywhere at any level. No coach is going to get a quarterback this late into a season and just make him a starter right away.

Most large universities will not accept a an application this late into a year regardless of situation or semester vs quarters. Has nothing to do with what class he enrolls in whether is is 8 weeks or 16 has to do with admission deadlines. Being an athlete makes it even more difficult because there’s so much more to do than a non athlete student. Unless he grey shirts. Most rosters are set by this point in the year so again juco is his only route. And it hurts him because now he’s sitting the bench and playing catch up at a juco and hoping to get a enough of a look to go somewhere next spring. He would been better off hanging out at Nebraska and then transferring in December. Because at this point most would say he is not gonna see much turf anywhere at any level. No coach is going to get a quarterback this late into a season and just make him a starter right away.

Thats probably true at many schools, and probably all if he isn't an athlete. Not sure how long he was at Nebraska, but his window to go JUCO is limited, but he can probably play JUCO this year if that window is still open, graduate and go anywhere next year. He can go FCS and play immediately, or NAIA. Or he could declare some hardship and be eligibile immediately if he is in good academic standing and Nebraska releases him.

Thats probably true at many schools, and probably all if he isn't an athlete. Not sure how long he was at Nebraska, but his window to go JUCO is limited, but he can probably play JUCO this year if that window is still open, graduate and go anywhere next year. He can go FCS and play immediately, or NAIA. Or he could declare some hardship and be eligibile immediately if he is in good academic standing and Nebraska releases him.
It’s sounds like this would of been his 3 semester at Nebraska. And was a redshirt freshman. And being an athlete maybe the only thing that will save him but regardless he’s not going play much at all anywhere he’s goes in 2018. It’s August.

:joy: Lol, I'm guessing you haven't been to college recently? Most schools will accept new admits up to 2 weeks into a new term. Most also have rolling application windows and enrollment periods now. How do you think basketball players get admitted several days into the semester when reclassifying late or late transfers. Happens every year and they always let them enroll. Lynn Bowden enrolled late for us last year. Quarters usually start after Labor day, he could easily get admitted and enrolled before then. FYI, 8 week semester courses don't have to be enrolled until 5 days after the class begins. So if the class started October 15th, the student would have until Oct 20th to add or drop it. Again, plenty of time to do so. And no, you don't have to be enrolled in August to join a class that starts in October :joy:. Open application windows mean a student can apply up until the add/drop date for a given semester or half semester.

You are leaving out the scenario a team takes him and he learns the offense this season and takes over next season, or is at least much better prepared to fight for the job. Sitting the bench at Nebreska while planning to transfer in 5 months is pointless and dumb. No one would be gaining anything. Move on and welcome new opportunities. What's any different in transferring in August vs the other 11 months of the year? If he's good enough, he will find the right opportunity.

Last edited:
People don’t want to compete anymore. Once they lose a job they want to go somewhere else
They obviously compete SMH. Take Hoak. Barring an injury from Terry, he obviously picked the wrong school and wasted his time here. Stoops is so loyal to the starter, even if we are up 40 on C. Michigan he will still never see the field. Stoops is hard headed. But Hoak has wasted his time and Danny barring an injury. Shame.

They obviously compete SMH. Take Hoak. Barring an injury from Terry, he obviously picked the wrong school and wasted his time here. Stoops is so loyal to the starter, even if we are up 40 on C. Michigan he will still never see the field. Stoops is hard headed. But Hoak has wasted his time and Danny barring an injury. Shame.
That’s a pretty dumb outlook on the situation. Hoak is one injury away, of a running QB I might add, from being our starting QB. as far as Danny Clark goes how many QBs do you want to play exactly? Just because you go to a school as a QB doesn’t guarantee you get to be the starter at some point.

It’s sounds like this would of been his 3 semester at Nebraska. And was a redshirt freshman. And being an athlete maybe the only thing that will save him but regardless he’s not going play much at all anywhere he’s goes in 2018. It’s August.

That's most likely true, but you never know how depleted someone's roster is. Nebraska would probably be willing to take someone who could play this year right now, they are 1 play away from not having a QB. Some of these JUCOs seem to operate by the seat of their pants, he could go to one of them, this morning I heard one of the Chattanooga colleges were extending registration hours for fall classes this weekend, so a few are still accepting and registering students.

Couldn't he drop down a level and play immediately this year and then transfer to a larger school again next year?

:joy: Lol, I'm guessing you haven't been to college recently? Most schools will accept new admits up to 2 weeks into a new term. Most also have rolling application windows and enrollment periods now. How do you think basketball players get admitted several days into the semester when reclassifying late or late transfers. Happens every year and they always let them enroll. Lynn Bowden enrolled late for us last year. Quarters usually start after Labor day, he could easily get admitted and enrolled before then. FYI, 8 week semester courses don't have to be enrolled until 5 days after the class begins. So if the class started October 15th, the student would have until Oct 20th to add or drop it. Again, plenty of time to do so. And no, you don't have to be enrolled in August to join a class that starts in October :joy:. Open application windows mean a student can apply up until the add/drop date for a given semester or half semester.

You are leaving out the scenario a team takes him and he learns the offense this season and takes over next season, or is at least much better prepared to fight for the job. Sitting the bench at Nebreska while planning to transfer in 5 months is pointless and dumb. No one would be gaining anything. Move on and welcome new opportunities. What's any different in transferring in August vs the other 11 months of the year? If he's good enough, he will find the right opportunity.

"Most schools will accept new admits up to 2 weeks into a new term."

At some schools that window is closed or closing fast. For instance, it's too late to transfer to UK already for this semester

"Most schools will accept new admits up to 2 weeks into a new term."

At some schools that window is closed or closing fast. For instance, it's too late to transfer to UK already for this semester
Actually, I think today is the last day for add/drop at UK. So they could enroll up until midnight tonight.

Also, as previously mentioned, they can still enroll in half semester courses that don't begin until October. They would still be able to apply and enroll for those classes until registration closes 5 days after the course begins. And if they applied in the next few days, and enrolled in the half semester courses now, they would technically be an eligible student athlete for this semester because the classes are taken this semester.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT