ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Wimsatt transferring from Rutgers

Sources: Athan Kaliakmanis named Rutgers' new starting QB​

Shocking that completing 47% of your passes for 9 TD vs. 8 ints....isn't a good year...who could have saw this coming :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Talkin sht is all. He's got no reason to bring that complete nonsense here
Did you see the article headlines on this very site? I think there is a possibility. I think Stoops wants guys that can run the ball and doesn't really prefer pure pocket passers, just my opinion but why I think it is a strong possibility.

• Haha
Reactions: gobigblue812
Is this guy realistically a better back up option than Allen?
No he is not.

I bet a dime to a dollar Allen can complete 50% (and even a ton more) of his passes today....Wimsatt has not done that in 3 years in college.

And to be honest...Wimsatt in high school was a run around and out athlete kids...but in college you can't do that as much and he has not grown as a passer. So why UK would have any interest as backup.....I'd be taken back if we plucked him up especially with so few scholarships.

SEASONTEAM
RUTG
RUTG
RUTG
RUTG
RUTG
RUTG

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKRTG

Reactions: CGblue and catben
Is this guy realistically a better back up option than Allen?
In Bush Hamdan's system, probably. He wants a mobile QB who can pull off RPOs and designed runs. That's not Allen and I'm not sure if Bolley is suited for that, but we'll see. Wimsatt would seem to be an upgrade at QB2, but at a minimum it's another arm and more competition. I watched some of the Rutgers Spring game and he made some nice throws. He throws an really nice deep ball (think poor man's Woodson) and impressed me with a few strong outside the hashmark completions. Maybe his pedestrian passing numbers last year were reflective of the talent surrounding him there?

Reactions: Soupbean
Troll. Backup played extensively at two places.
Are you referring to Allen? He only played one season since leaving UK and that was in 2022 at an FCS program. He did not play a single snap at GA Southern. He has stated he is here to graduate and to become a GA next year in order to get into coaching. He probably qualifies as an exceptional walk on, but we don't want him to be starting games if BV goes down.

If we are going back to more of the old offense with more RPO, I see him as a more talented Terry Wilson, if it is still going to be a pure pro style, not sure I get the interest either.

What are you talking about???? At least 3 QBs on the roster, one on his second trip here, two highly ranked.
This makes no sense.

After #1, it gets scary really fast. Allen has played limited snaps at this level. Our other highly rated QB is a true FR who's head is spinning in practice.
That combined with our OL? We need another body at QB.

Reactions: satcheluk
Wimsett left Rutgers because he finished their QB battle 2nd string. Why would he come to Kentucky to again, be 2nd string.

He might be a better player than Allen. But Allen is a better #2. At least that is what makes sence to me.

No he is not.

I bet a dime to a dollar Allen can complete 50% (and even a ton more) of his passes today....Wimsatt has not done that in 3 years in college.

And to be honest...Wimsatt in high school was a run around and out athlete kids...but in college you can't do that as much and he has not grown as a passer. So why UK would have any interest as backup.....I'd be taken back if we plucked him up especially with so few scholarships.

SEASONTEAM
RUTG
RUTG
RUTG
RUTG
RUTG
RUTG

CMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGSACKRTG

Thems CJ Stroud numbers right there

After #1, it gets scary really fast.

With NIL and the portal, is there a program left not saying this?

I suspect, if needed, Allen will prove to
be more than serviceable.

I was very impressed with his last Spring Game, here, and then he tossed for thousands of yards at the FCS level.

Maybe Wimsatt could become a decent WR?!?!

With NIL and the portal, is there a program left not saying this?

I suspect, if needed, Allen will prove to
be more than serviceable.

I was very impressed with his last Spring Game, here, and then he tossed for thousands of yards at the FCS level.

Maybe Wimsatt could become a decent WR?!?!
Wimsatt doesn't have WR speed, he just isn't SEC material at any position.

Wimsatt doesn't have WR speed, he just isn't SEC material at any position.
He has SEC size as a QB but not SEC arm talent, at least as far as he showed at Rutgers. That's why he lost his starting job. I remember when Liam Coen was hired the first time, and UK backed off Wimsatt thereafter. That was a talent evaluation by Coen which superceded Wimsatt's online ranking as an instate prospect.

No thanks think the twin QB that transfered. Was a athlete but not a good enough athlete at this level questionable passing skills. Waste of a scholarship at QB and he's not coming here to be 2nd or 3rd string.

No thanks think the twin QB that transfered. Was a athlete but not a good enough athlete at this level questionable passing skills. Waste of a scholarship at QB and he's not coming here to be 2nd or 3rd string.
I think the bottom line is that Stoops and Coen backed off Wimsatt when he was in hs, so no reason to think Stoops and Hamdan would pursue him now. UK has Vandagriff, Boley, Saunders, Ward. Vandagriff has two seasons left. There is a potential pinch in 2024 if Vandagriff were to get hurt, but Stoops seems comfortable with Beau Allen whether or not that is final. They took a look at Schlee but there is no evidence Stoops actually offered Schlee a scholarship. Wimsatt doesn't have SEC arm talent and will end up at UL or at some other <SEC, <B10 school where he can realistically expect to make a run at starting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT