ADVERTISEMENT

Gators thoughts?

it's a tall task for sure. florida runs the ball very well. so far this year kentucky's defense has been good and i've surprised how well they've been against the run. that will be an intersting matchup.

kentucky must put florida consistently in 3rd and long. get them in obvious passing situations. on offense, kentucky must keep florida guessing as to what is coming next and stop turning it over.

the one thing i'm holding on to is kentucky has yet to play a clean and complete game and certainly have not played at their best. kentucky must put their best product on the field saturday for a chance to win.

If UK comes out flat in the Florida game I will absolutely be done with Stoops. You cannot have a bigger game for UK and their chances for a great season than this one. If you aren't jacked up and ready to go at kick-off, you need to be playing another sport.

The only reason I say that is because of both teams last performance. UF is just coming down from their yearly beat down of rival tennessee. They played excellent. Before that they played an emotional and exhausting game with Bama. Next week they have Vandy. I can see where their mindset is "just play good enough to win so we can take a breather next week". That's the hope for UK.

UK on the other hand has played 3 close exhausting games, one with an inferior opponent. And we're now reaching a stretch of absolute brutal part of the schedule. I just wonder our mindset.

I think both teams will come out and take a huge chance early and if it doesnt work, both teams will settle in and just run the ball the rest of the game and try to win at the end.

Reactions: The-Hack
This.
I feel good about this game. Home at night, crowd will be LIT, team will be amped. We have the horses and mules to win a gritty slug fest type game.

FLA is not some unbeatable force and they’re not in the friendly confines of the Swamp.

UK plays a clean game, Cats win. It’s that simple really.

This thread feels like it’s full of quitters and handwringers.

This.
I feel good about this game. Home at night, crowd will be LIT, team will be amped. We have the horses and mules to win a gritty slug fest type game.

FLA is not some unbeatable force and they’re not in the friendly confines of the Swamp.

UK plays a clean game, Cats win. It’s that simple really.

This thread feels like it’s full of quitters and handwringers.
The fact that a lot of SEC analysts, keep hyping Kentucky up on their programs gives me faith that the Cats can not only keep it close, but pull off the W in Lexington.

Florida will be the best offense our defense has seen. I say Florida scores 28-34.

UK's offense will struggle once again as Florida's defense will be the best our offense has seen. We will have okay success running the ball but very little in the passing game. Our receivers simply are not all around SEC quality. They can't get open.

I say UF 31 UK 10

Reactions: tbbuc99
You all that are talking about the great Florida defense, do realize that Florida is 62nd in total defense, while Kentucky is #9 right? I realize Alabama is a stronger offense than Missouri, but thats with our UTC clunker in factored in, and do we really consider Tennessee a HUGE upgrade over South Carolina?

Reactions: rye48
You all that are talking about the great Florida defense, do realize that Florida is 62nd in total defense, while Kentucky is #9 right? I realize Alabama is a stronger offense than Missouri, but thats with our UTC clunker in factored in, and do we really consider Tennessee a HUGE upgrade over South Carolina?
Tenn stinks. They're 2-2 with wins against Bowling Green State and Tenn Tech.

Defense got spanked by Pitt to the tune of 41, and lost to FLA. (3pt game at halftime then FLA had strong 3rd quarter)

Mizz will beat UT, or at least be favored at home.

Hell if South Carolina can get their crap together, they'll probably beat UT @ UT

Statistically the line of -8 is fair. However I always adjust the line based on the anticipated emotion, energy and effort that each team will bring to this game. The vibe I get from reading a few of the players tweets today as these guys are really charged up for this game and I expect that will have the edge in this game in that regard. Kentucky's defense looked elite in the last game and that alone can keep us in the game. Add to that the ability to add a lot more offensive punch then we have in similar matchups in past I think the game is pretty close to dead even with Florida having a slight edge on overall talent.
Therefore the outcome will most likely hinge on the unforeseeable - penalties, turnovers, injuries etc.

Florida: 28
Kentucky: 34

Florida defense doesn't look great to me this year and they still have the same Grantham problem. I am however quite concerned about our defense and keeping contain both on Emory Jones running and the Gators run a jet sweep that could go for massive yardage. We have not been good at the edges.

I keep seeing people on the internet complain about Jones as a passer but he's looked more than adequate to me.

Kentucky's defense looked elite in the last game and that alone can keep us in the game. Add to that the ability to add a lot more offensive punch then we have in similar matchups in past I think the game is pretty close to dead even with Florida having a slight edge on overall talent.
Therefore the outcome will most likely hinge on the unforeseeable - penalties, turnovers, injuries etc.

Not to mention they may get some of the 6 back for some added depth.

Florida defense doesn't look great to me this year and they still have the same Grantham problem. I am however quite concerned about our defense and keeping contain both on Emory Jones running and the Gators run a jet sweep that could go for massive yardage. We have not been good at the edges.

I keep seeing people on the internet complain about Jones as a passer but he's looked more than adequate to me.
They're 62nd in total defense through 4 games, UK is 9th.

Statistically the line of -8 is fair. However I always adjust the line based on the anticipated emotion, energy and effort that each team will bring to this game. The vibe I get from reading a few of the players tweets today as these guys are really charged up for this game and I expect that will have the edge in this game in that regard. Kentucky's defense looked elite in the last game and that alone can keep us in the game. Add to that the ability to add a lot more offensive punch then we have in similar matchups in past I think the game is pretty close to dead even with Florida having a slight edge on overall talent.

I agree with this. My feeling is: Yea, FLA has slightly better talent at a few positions, but our chances at winning are no longer reliant on dumb luck during the game. We have the dudes, in most positions, to compete. Like I mentioned IF we can play clean, we win. Mistakes need to be minimal IF we can't force any on defense.

If I was an unbiased gambler I’d definitely lay the 8.5 with Florida. But I can’t help myself from taking the Cats Moneyline +265.

Gators Defensively are ranked 12th in the SEC and only have 1 pick. KY if they can protect Levis will get deep shots because Florida won’t play 2 safety’s deep. They will be aggressive. Florida leads the SEC in rushing at over 300 yards a game. KY’s Defense needs to play soft and make the QB beat you with his arm and not his legs.

Did any of you watch Florida play UT? I'll not give my prediction until Friday night. Just going to watch the negativity in this thread until then

Excellent! To be the best you want to play the best. He presents all kinds of challenges we need to face to get better
He is a monster in the run game and can throw a pretty beautiful pass too. We’ve generally had Emory run the first two series and Richardson comes in for the third series. Him and Emory together is a pretty nice 1-2 combo to have lol.

He is a monster in the run game and can throw a pretty beautiful pass too. We’ve generally had Emory run the first two series and Richardson comes in for the third series. Him and Emory together is a pretty nice 1-2 combo to have lol.

Yep. An embarrassment of riches

Coen needs to do a lot of shifting and get the matchup he wants and bomb them deep! Remember Steve Johnson and crew against UL? Believe it was 2016.

Stevie Johnson, the U.K. receiver was famous for “getting loose” against Louisville and LSU in 2007, and since then in the NFL.

Garrett “Juice” Johnson was the Kentucky received who scorched Florida in Stoops’ second season, an overtime loss in the Swamp in 2014, and against Lamar Jackson’s Louisville team in 2016.

Stephen Johnson was the UK QB in 2016, and had his personal best game against U of L in 2016, beating the Cards in Louisville.

We have lost heartbreakers against the Gators in 2019, with a field goal wide right, and 2017, with a field goal 4 yards short.

I say Ruffalo wins this one with a 45 yarder as time expires!!

Cats 31, Gators 28.

Last edited:
Reactions: TIE543
If UK comes out flat in the Florida game I will absolutely be done with Stoops. You cannot have a bigger game for UK and their chances for a great season than this one. If you aren't jacked up and ready to go at kick-off, you need to be playing another sport.
Yeah Saturday is the moment of truth for Stoops.

Alabama was up 21-0 in the first quarter in the swamp. I’m sure Alabama naturally let up a little and Florida got momentum at home. Florida is not that great, if UK limits the mistakes the game will go down to the wire, book it!

He went as far on SEC Nation to say due to the variety of things UK can do on offense, that UK is a worse matchup for Georgia's defense than Florida or Alabama.

Hmmm. Now THAT surprises me, but I haven't gotten to watch tape on Georgia. That will be Sunday of game week at 6am

• Haha
One positive I've seen so far is everyone is practically picking Florida to kill UK. I like that better than the UK upset pick that it's been the past few years. Florida fans are extremely confident and no major pundits are picking UK to get the upset. I like it.

I think a big part to keep in mind is Florida is coming off to back to back physical games against Bama and Tennessee.

Could see a bit of letdown physically from them out of the gate.

Or a let up if they have any success early. No tellin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT