ADVERTISEMENT

Gators thoughts?

Huge challenge only gotten bigger by UK's mistakes. Appears UF has given up some long pass plays so maybe there's hope there. Their QB Jones had about 350 total yards, around 200 passing/150+ on the ground, vs TN so he's going to be a problem. Imagine nobody will be giving UK a chance. I just know this shit needs to end.

Only advantage I see it's a Home Game. Cat's not showing a good passing game, and give up to many on defense. Can't play like they have in the last two games and win.

Huge challenge only gotten bigger by UK's mistakes. Appears UF has given up some long pass plays so maybe there's hope there. Their QB Jones had about 350 total yards, around 200 passing/150+ on the ground, vs TN so he's going to be a problem. Imagine nobody will be giving UK a chance. I just know this shit needs to end.

Florida’s secondary is pretty bad. I just hope when Levis said that he “has to start making better decisions”, that doesn’t translate to “I’m not going to take any chances” because we MUST take chances to beat Florida, and are gonna need 2-3 home run type plays to win IMO. Especially if we continue to give the ball away.

On Defense:
- Florida likes to run the ball....and with Emory Jones at the QB spot. I think this UK defense is really good at handling the run game and makign you go the pass game. And I think we'll control (maybe not stop) their run game. I think keeping them to less than 4 yards a carry average is key to watch.
- Pass game...Emory Jones is improved....but I think we can make him earn it by chucking it 30+ times and see how he fares.

On Offense:
- I really believe we can control the LOS and run the ball on them....maybe not quite like Mizz/USC....but I think we'll do some really solid stuff on the ground vs. them.
- Can we protect the QB vs. a good Florida pass rush...I'm not so sure.
- TOs are the issue to me....It's uncanny why we are so bad at fumbles thus far and Levis looks like he's good for at least 1 Int a game.

I think it's giong to be a really good game....I'd have to pick Florida 28- UK 20 if I had to.

On Defense:
- Florida likes to run the ball....and with Emory Jones at the QB spot. I think this UK defense is really good at handling the run game and makign you go the pass game. And I think we'll control (maybe not stop) their run game. I think keeping them to less than 4 yards a carry average is key to watch.
- Pass game...Emory Jones is improved....but I think we can make him earn it by chucking it 30+ times and see how he fares.

On Offense:
- I really believe we can control the LOS and run the ball on them....maybe not quite like Mizz/USC....but I think we'll do some really solid stuff on the ground vs. them.
- TOs are the issue to me....It's uncanny why we are so bad at fumbles thus far and Levis looks like he's good for at least 1 Int a game.

I think it's giong to be a really good game....I'd have to pick Florida 28- UK 20 if I had to.
That’s what it was two years ago. God bless the guy who ran the meaningless TD in from like 60+ yards. Alternate spread. Lessened the pain a tad bit.

*** Nevermind, it was 29-21.

Reactions: K_TIME
Without turnovers we have a great chance. SC played two deep most of the time to take away the deep ball. That opened up the running game and we took advantage. Called good coaching, not the lack of a passing attack as some of our fans believe.

In fact, it is the opposite. The existence of a good deep ball passing attack caused SC to play those safeties back and open up the running game. Pick your poison Florida.

A couple of early thoughts ....

Florida has played a road game this season, but not in the environment that Kroger Field is likely to be. The noise could be disruptive at times for the Gator offense and that could lead to some delay or false start penalties, or communication issues changing plays at the line of scrimmage. Playing in The Swamp, no environment will be intimidating to them with regard to noise/crowd. Still, miscues on offense can stall drives, and often games are decided by a handful of plays.

Florida only has 2 DB's who had started a game for them before this year. One of them iSafety Trey Dean. The other is (CB Kair Elam) is a 1st-round NFL pick in the upcoming draft who missed the Tennessee game with an injury. If he cannot play against Kentucky, it will change how UF schemes defensively, which could give the Cats opportunities to exploit what they are trying to do .... or what they are not able to do. Also, UF lost their middle linebacker to a season-ending injury 2 weeks ago. This will particularly impact their run defense at the position. Florida added 3 senior transfer DT's (2 from Auburn & 1 from Penn State) which has provided significant, quality depth they did not have last year on the DL.

The biggest pleasant surprise for most UF fans has been the play of the offensive line ... probably the Gators' best unit in about 9 years . Florida doesn't have the big play receivers from last year, but they have at least 5 solid, consistent WR's (Copeland, Shorter, Whittemore, Henderson, and Wells) as well as a couple of good TE's (Gamble & Zipperer).

The game should be an electric environment and the winner will become the obvious challenger to UGA in the SEC East this year. Playing at home is an advantage for UK, and again, tight games often turn on just a handful of plays. I think the Gators win, but I would not be surprised if the Wildcats pulled the upset, either. Looking forward to a clean, injury-free game in Commonwealth Saturday night.

Florida has played a road game this season, but not in the environment that Kroger Field is likely to be. The noise could be disruptive at times for the Gator offense and that could lead to some delay or false start penalties, or communication issues changing plays at the line of scrimmage. Playing in The Swamp, no environment will be intimidating to them with regard to noise/crowd. Still, miscues on offense can stall drives, and often games are decided by a handful of plays.

Florida only has 2 DB's who had started a game for them before this year. One of them iSafety Trey Dean. The other is (CB Kair Elam) is a 1st-round NFL pick in the upcoming draft who missed the Tennessee game with an injury. If he cannot play against Kentucky, it will change how UF schemes defensively, which could give the Cats opportunities to exploit what they are trying to do .... or what they are not able to do. Also, UF lost their middle linebacker to a season-ending injury 2 weeks ago. This will particularly impact their run defense at the position. Florida added 3 senior transfer DT's (2 from Auburn & 1 from Penn State) which has provided significant, quality depth they did not have last year on the DL.

The biggest pleasant surprise for most UF fans has been the play of the offensive line ... probably the Gators' best unit in about 9 years . Florida doesn't have the big play receivers from last year, but they have at least 5 solid, consistent WR's (Copeland, Shorter, Whittemore, Henderson, and Wells) as well as a couple of good TE's (Gamble & Zipperer).

The game should be an electric environment and the winner will become the obvious challenger to UGA in the SEC East this year. Playing at home is an advantage for UK, and again, tight games often turn on just a handful of plays. I think the Gators win, but I would not be surprised if the Wildcats pulled the upset, either. Looking forward to a clean, injury-free game in Commonwealth Saturday night.
Is Richardson anticipated back? Man child.

Two keys for me,

protect the football and stop the run game. If we do that and Emory doesn’t kill us running, it’s going to be a long night for the Gators.

Reactions: jgraf_1
Is Richardson anticipated back? Man child.
Nobody knows. He injured his hamstring against USF and did not play Alabama or Tennessee. Hamstrings are notoriously fickle when it comes to recovery. Richardson is receiving MRI's every Friday and Coach Mullen has stated that he could play if "necessary", but it appears he is being held out as a precautionary measure.
Jones is the starting QB (barring injury) and probably will be for at least the rest of this year. He is in his 4th-year of Mullen's system/coaching, but this is his first year as a starter. He is progressing and is a capable passer. Richardson, as you note, is a "man child" who is likely to be used much as Tebow was at different points in a game during his freshman year while Chris Leak was the starter.

Thanks for the input. I haven't gotten to watch much, but echoes pretty much what I thought. Except that I saw a very good secondary so it's hard to believe it's that inexperienced. And I didnt know about the injured linebacker.

I knew your running backs looked really good and the receivers and QB looked solid but not spectacular.

I would say that Gators win too. Won't surprise me if it's around 3 scores. We seem to be plagued with penalties and turnovers. Which kinda sucks because it looked early like we had an explosive offense finally.

The only hope I think UK has is if UF has a down game....which I think is very possible. I actually figure both UK and UF come out a little flat at first.

Thanks for the input. I haven't gotten to watch much, but echoes pretty much what I thought. Except that I saw a very good secondary so it's hard to believe it's that inexperienced. And I didnt know about the injured linebacker.

I knew your running backs looked really good and the receivers and QB looked solid but not spectacular.

I would say that Gators win too. Won't surprise me if it's around 3 scores. We seem to be plagued with penalties and turnovers. Which kinda sucks because it looked early like we had an explosive offense finally.

The only hope I think UK has is if UF has a down game....which I think is very possible. I actually figure both UK and UF come out a little flat at first.
If UK comes out flat in the Florida game I will absolutely be done with Stoops. You cannot have a bigger game for UK and their chances for a great season than this one. If you aren't jacked up and ready to go at kick-off, you need to be playing another sport.

If our defense plays like they did last night, we'll have a chance but we need to let Wan'Dale loose and throw to him as much as possible.
Fla will key on WR so someby/ies better step up, and l think we'll need 35 to stay in the game.

If UK comes out flat in the Florida game I will absolutely be done with Stoops. You cannot have a bigger game for UK and their chances for a great season than this one. If you aren't jacked up and ready to go at kick-off, you need to be playing another sport.
If Stoops/staff have to get this team up for this game then we've got problems...Stoops/staff's job is game planning to put points on the board.

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
On Defense:

On Offense:

Agree with your take. The only thing I would add is, Todd Grantham defense has been known to give up big passing plays.
Coen needs to do a lot of shifting and get the matchup he wants and bomb them deep! Remember Steve Johnson and crew against UL? Believe it was 2016.

Last edited:
If the game were to be miraculously officiated by any crew other than an SEC crew UK has "a puncher's chance"... Since that is not going to happen, it will take a flawlessly played game by UK and a few let down plays by Florida. I hope I am wrong and UK wins.

Reactions: rye48
UF by 10 but it will be close for a good while. Cats will play inspired with the home field advantage but UF is the better team. However, if KY brings their A game on both sides of the ball and UF gets rattled KY can absolutely win this game and I would not call it an upset.

Blue glasses off, we lose. We could win if we miraculous fix all the issues we've had the last several games. It's awful hard to fix it all in one week. That said, we fix those issues we have a shot. Based on recent play UF wins by double digits. I pray not, but being honest and seeing what I've seen, UF wins. I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Without looking at any other responses-

UK-
-Levis needs to read rather than fixate on a route or receiver, and take what the defense is giving. There will be mismatches and blown coverages by UF and we have to be ready to take advantage.
-Ball security had better be the rule rather than the exception from here forward. We score 2-3 more times if we hang on to the ball.
-Florida is fast, just like USC is fast. We have to use that against them where we can, and do what we can do well otherwise. When we hit the holes quickly, we gained yardage. When we delayed the handoff not so much.
-Until we show we can play with them, UF will get the calls their way. We won't see holding penalties called on their OL with any consistency. We might not see PI/DH on their DBs. We need to play through it and win 1on1s.
-I expect Epps and Cummings to factor in this week in a big way. If they do, WRob will have a good game also. Fundamentals have to be better.
-Safety position will be huge bell wether, as will whoever is our "spy." Keeping Jones contained may be impossible, but we need to limit his huge plays in the red zone. Discipline. Keep everything in front of us. Opportunities will come.

We have to be able to let the crowd get us up without getting too eager or hyped, and not let the crowd get us down. This is an OPPORTUNITY game that doesn't come along too often. If we are fitting into this system now, and are still able to run the ball well when needed, I hope the staff is mature enough recognize what is working and stick with it from start to finish. SAME for the D.

Gators-
TBC....

They are better than us.
Honestly the key isn't just us taking care of the ball. I don't think an even turnover battle wins this game for us. We'll need to create some turnovers on defense as well. Like plus 2 or even plus 3 I believe. That can be a real equalizer.

Our DB's are playing more like we expected now. Several of them are making plays. SC kept both safeties deep a lot of the time and when that happens you see what CR does. It will be interesting to see what FL does with that because only one safety deep Levis to WR could happen anytime. Kind of have a feeling Levis will be back this week. He is not happy with the way he played so I think he will be prepared for a better game this week. Hopefully we have a better mix of plays throughout than we did against SC because I think we will need that with their interior DL being pretty strong. And a very large and loud crowd throughout the whole game could prove to be the difference. Hopefully our two ILB will play well again filling the holes and containing the QB scramble. Just think without turnovers we could be right there with them.

Without turnovers we have a great chance. SC played two deep most of the time to take away the deep ball. That opened up the running game and we took advantage. Called good coaching, not the lack of a passing attack as some of our fans believe.

In fact, it is the opposite. The existence of a good deep ball passing attack caused SC to play those safeties back and open up the running game. Pick your poison Florida.
Don't you come in here with logic! It's all Grans fault we didn't pass for 300yds again! People expecting us to be throwing for 300yds a game either 1. Don't know football, period. 2. Didnt do their homework on what Coen was bringing to the table.

If history means anything and it usually does, Gators have 16 straight in Lexington, but the last few games have been very close. Most likely scenario is a hard fought close win by Florida. Sooner or later the turnover bug has to bite the other team doesn't it?

Their run game worries me a lot. They averaged 6 YPC against Alabama. 😫

Reactions: K_TIME
Don't you come in here with logic! It's all Grans fault we didn't pass for 300yds again! People expecting us to be throwing for 300yds a game either 1. Don't know football, period. 2. Didnt do their homework on what Coen was bringing to the table.
I do expect to see a better passing team than the 140yds/gm they’ve thrown up against 2 lower level SEC teams though. We did hire Coen to do better than that. Circumstances will dictate what you try to exploit, we all get that. But the passing needs to be better than what we’ve seen against SEC squads.

When you realize that to compete against the better teams in the conference, you have to be able to be balanced and that throwing the ball efficiently is important to reach that goal, what we’ve seen so far needs improvement.

My thoughts on the gators are that they seem to have plenty of talent to go around at each position; they also appear to be pretty balanced with running/passing along with solid defense. A few holes in their game here and there allows the opponent to give a few long-gainer plays, but they seem to learn from their errors, allowing them to very competitive.

UK will probably not win this game. We can win if we play clean football, not shooting ourselves in the foot with middle-school level mistakes/penalties. In the end, however, I think Florida wins in a score, something in the range of 34-20.

I hope I'm wrong.

Florida covers and then some, 38-10. The gators are good. The way the oline is playing their edge guys will live in the backfield. Not sold that the D can stop a running QB.

I don't understand why people are focusing so much on passing yards.

Game played. Team runs for 100 yds and throws for 300.
Another game. Team throws for 100 yds and runs for 300.

It's the same thing.

Yeah we didn't have many passing yards but we ran the ball well. We didn't need to throw for 350 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT